Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEFINE Galway. . .

Options
  • 10-01-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

I've been getting mixed reviews on Galway and really wana find out people's opinions on it.

I've got two questions so if each person could answer each just to give me all the different opinions. :)

1. How many days a week does it actually rain? Like I'm imagining a change of clothes like twice a day by the sounds of it!!

2. Are the people nice, sound, not stuck up? Would you get all that d4 aspect that you'd get in Dublin?

Contemplating moving there you see...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

1. :rolleyes:
    2. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I've been getting mixed reviews on Galway and really wana find out people's opinions on it.

I've got two questions so if each person could answer each just to give me all the different opinions. :)

1. How many days a week does it actually rain? Like I'm imagining a change of clothes like twice a day by the sounds of it!!

2. Are the people nice, sound, not stuck up? Would you get all that d4 aspect that you'd get in Dublin?

Contemplating moving there you see...

Galway, it rains less than it does in sligo (im originally from sligo). Its ireland its not going to vary much no matter where you live. Unless your moving from an obviously hot country your not going to notice a difference.

Galway people are generally very nice. Its a student population so there is always fun to he had.

Galway in a reasonable size city with a small town feel.

Galway traffic sucks. If your coming here then plan where you are going to live on where you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

DRakE wrote: »
    1. :rolleyes:
    2. :rolleyes:

where is the standard "pics or GTFO" lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

my reply is here :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055458033

Galway traffic sucks. If your coming here then plan where you are going to live on where you work.

not as bad as Dublin, as student i used to cycle every day to college :) doesn't have cycle lanes like Dublin but its much faster than being stuck in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

You can't DEFINE anywhere. The only way you'll know you like a place is if you live there for a certain length of time. It rains alot in Galway but you'd notice it no more than anywhere else in the country. That said, when the Sun is out, and for all its wee faults, there's no better wee city on Earth. Then again, horses for courses, you might think it's sh!te -go and find out

The rain is annoying but I shudder to think what the place would be like if we had a better climate...that said we've not had rain for over 2 weeks now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

DEFINE Galway. . .

The Snackbox - greasy, wet, expensive and wholly unfulfilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Galway's not a place. it's a state of mind. man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

It rains a fair bit but you'll quickly get used to it. I don't even notice it at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

Having lived in Dublin and Galway id say galway doesnt have that oppressive, high-pressure Dublin atmosphere (but youre probably used to it as a dub). It has more of a small city feel.

It probably rains about the same amount as in Dublin.

Theres probably more recreational stuff in Dublin but Galway is alot safer with far less scumbags out at night.

It would be inaccurate to say the people are generally any more friendly than in dublin at this stage.

It has the worst public transport system in the western world

Galway is a very small city and frankly far more pleasant to live in than Dublin but thats just my subjective opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The Snackbox - greasy, wet, expensive and wholly unfulfilling.

unfortunately that closed many many years ago, you still see Mike around the place, great guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

It does rain a lot. It certainly is damper than Dublin. Look at how many gardens are more moss than grass.

It's no more or less as friendly as Dublin. But if you're from Dublin prepare to develop a thick skin. They always want you to praise Galway but rarely have anything nice to say about Dublin. In fact I've come across many a snobbish comment about Dublin. I usually laugh it off.

They say it's safer than Dublin, maybe in general but the only street fight I ever saw was in Galway. Also there is a big thing about vandalising cars parked in the city.

It's just as expensive except perhaps things like rent. The shopping and the traffic is probably the worst of the bigger towns on Ireland. The nightlife gets lots of hype but soon you've been there done that and it gets a little claustrophobic. The bus service is genuinely terrible. It is literally quicker to walk in most cases.

Everyone goes on an on about walking the prom, Jesus the whole city seems to walk it every day and then talk about as if it was the greatest thing ever. Salthill is underdeveloped and overpriced. Many Galway people don't seem to realise Dublin has a few beaches of it's own.

In my opinion Galway city is way overrated. It lives off a reputation as a party town and the fact the Connemara, the real Galway is nearby.

Finally in employments term, it's rubbish. Even during the boom I was offered a wage here that even a Pole straight off the plane wouldn't touch. It's gone really bad now.

If it sounds like I've nothing good to say about Galway then you're right. I was happy to move here with my Galway born wife. I have been sadly disillusioned and can't wait get back nasty old Dublin.

climate_rainfallmap.gif
    It rains more on the west side of the city than on the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Altar_Ego_Boy

I have been sadly disillusioned and can't wait get back nasty old Dublin.

Safe journey. Its a pity we didnt get to know you better. You seem like a typically pleasant clear-thinking dub.

climate_rainfallmap.gif

man that 4 cm of rain really makes a difference. i might move back to dublin after all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Rainy -ish, students, alcohol, partys and more rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

You can't just like move to Galway man. You've to be chosen via a public text vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

g-g-g-galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It's quite a nice town, is very compact, and is very friendly. The weather is changeable, to say the least!

Are you coming here to work or study?
    Bass Cadet wrote: »
    ...that said we've not had rain for over 2 weeks now

It's your fault it's raining today; you spoke (typed) the words and tempted fate!!!
    yawn, yawn, yawn...I have been sadly disillusioned and can't wait get back nasty old Dublin.

Don't let the door hit you too hard on the backside on the way out!

If you had so much trouble getting work during the boom, and everything is so incredibly negative, maybe that says more about you than the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭poker_face

I'm a Galwegian who has been living in Dublin for the past few years and I like both locations for different reasons. Galway most certainly feels more laid back than Dublin and this attitude definitely seeps in the local populace. It does rain more than dublin but I just about would notice the difference. It's a very windy city due to Galway bay and I reckon you would notice this more than the rain. What Galway definitely has to offer is nightlife, for a city (or big town if you like) the size of Galway it has an incredible selection of pubs & clubs. I can only assume that diverdriver goes to the same spots all the time, plus town is busy every night of the week. This is not the case with Dublin where only a few spots would be busy every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A large quantity of crusties that seem to be multiplying. I think it is time they bring back the annual cull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Knacker Dwarf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

In my opinion Galway city is way overrated. It lives off a reputation as a party town and the fact the Connemara, the real Galway is nearby.

I have been sadly disillusioned and can't wait get back nasty old Dublin.

+1
    It is a big let down, imo. My life does not revolve around pubs/clubs, so I find myself noticing how little else there is to the place.

That 'graveyard of ambition' tag rings true the longer that I'm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Galway is a large town with urban sprawl.Cork in my opinion combines big city life with the character and feel of a town.Galway is a better option though than limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Im from Dublin and moved to Galway last Jan.

Rained quite a bit but you do get used to it. Found it very easy to meet new people. Tis the same as anywhere else though, you need to make the effort.

But Galway is a fantastic place. Lovely scenery and great nightlife.

Tis a pity I had to move back to Dublin :(

Move there!!! Its great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Define galway eh?

Lots of genuinely hot college girls wandering around.

Unfortunetly there's a lot of the "Look at us, we're such mad whoors" type of student as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

climate_rainfallmap.gif

+1

Now that's a definitive answer (to one of the questions anyway!)

man that 4 cm of rain really makes a difference. i might move back to Dublin after all

10 millimeters = 1 centimeter so that would be 40 cm or about 1 foot 4 inches difference between Galway and Dublin.

Anyways it was a bad joke about the line going through Galway rather than comparing to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

You probably wouldn't like Galway so stay where you are. It's damp and there is a strong smell of seaweed everywhere. Also, there is no KFC in Galway which is the stable diet of Dubs.

Try Dundalk. Or Waterford.

Thank you for your enquiry.

10 millimeters = 1 centimeter so that would be 40 cm or about 1 foot 4 inches difference between Galway and Dublin.

Anyways it was a bad joke about the line going through Galway rather than comparing to Dublin.

Yeah i know it was a typo but i was being serious. I might move back to dublin after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

ErnieBert wrote: »
    You probably wouldn't like Galway so stay where you are. It's damp and there is a strong smell of seaweed everywhere. Also, there is no KFC in Galway which is the stable diet of Dubs.

Try Dundalk. Or Waterford.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Waterford is the best city in ireland after cork.

Advertisement