Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Universe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Wicknight wrote: »
    You are not being asked to accept anything, if that was the case then scientists would be out of a job.

The "why" question is what drives science.

The problem is not asking the question, the problem is how you come up with your answer. I'm not saying the inflation field always existed. What I am saying is that the theist argument that it must have been created and probably by a deity, has little foundation. We don't know it must have been created, and we certainly don't know it must have been created by a deity.

Imagine if people had stopped at the atom and said "God made them" and never looked any further into it.

I'm not saying that it must have been created by a deity simply because we don't know how it was created. All I'm saying is that that explanation (it was created by God) should not be excluded as an option on the grounds that we don't scientifically know how it was created yet. To know that it wasn't created by a deity would mean that we already have perfect knowledge and actually know how it actually was created which is blatantly false. And to say that it must have been created by a deity simply because it cannot be explained otherwise is I agree just lazy. Let's probe and find out. If God exists (and there many many good reasons to believe that He does even though they might not all be scientific reasons) then all searching after truth will lead back to Him no matter what method is employed to get there, so I'm not afraid. For instance I can't wait for the James Webb Space Telescope to be launched to see what it finds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Yeah and it has already established that the Big Bang model is the best one. The Big Bang model postulates a beginning in the finite past from a nothingness state – a singularity. Now either the universe just popped into existence from nothing and by nothing or it was created by something beyond space and time by a being of unimaginable power. Simple enough options if you ask me, you just have to choose which is the more plausible. That nothing created everything or an eternal being did it.

Ok, I'll give this a try. Simple options they may appear to be but to be answered they require complex explanations. Firstly, you're going to have to explain what you mean by 'beyond space and time'. By any definition I understand, that's a contraction in terms, i.e. there cannot be anything space and time as, by definition, space and time encompasses everything extant.

Then you'll have to define what you mean by 'nothing'. In physical cosmology, a singularity is not a 'nothing'. The Big Bang model is currently the best supported model alright, and generally refers to the idea that the universe came from an initially hot and possibly infinitely dense condition, the singularity. What it can't and doesn't do is provide any explanation for the initial condition, it only describes the general evolution of the universe from that first instant. Beyond that we currently can't tell what there was, but some hypotheses imply that it is actually possible the universe simply popped into existence. I haven't been keeping up with it in detail, but I believe that some recent findings suggest that the total energy in the universe is zero.

This along with inflation (the Big Bang) suggests that all that is needed is just a tiny bit of energy to get the ball rolling, i.e. a tiny bit of energy in which inflation can begin. The universe can then experience inflationary expansion, but without creating net energy, as the positive energy of the particles of all matter is balanced out by the negative gravitational energy of everything pulling on everything else, hence a zero-energy universe (this is only a very Very simple overview).
    The big question then is where did this bit of energy come from ? And the answer to that lies in quantum theory, where particles and antiparticles can spontaneously form and quickly annihilate each other without violating the law of energy conservation. And experiments have proven that these quantum fluctuations do occur everywhere, all the time.

Thus the emergence of complexity from simplicity, precluding the requirement of a complex eternal being. If you want to define god as being simple, e.g. energy or whatever, then feel free, but that's not a personal theistic god or anything which is relevant to us.

So that “the universe was created” is not even an option to be mused upon? Even though you don’t know how it got here yet? The possibility that it just might have been contrived by intelligence just cannot have a foot in the door? Is that what you are saying?

No, it would be utterly stupid and completely irrational to rule it out, but without any evidence whatsoever of this intelligence it's merely an assertion and explains nothing - there is no evidence, no hypothesis, no theory, no model, nothing. The Big Bang and physical cosmology explains the universe as we see it, and in the face of hypotheses which may explain what went before (which as I've already said may in some ways be a meaningless question) and which may be testable, it provides no answers whatsoever and certainly doesn't warrant investigation by science and I fail to see why it should receive any credence.
    Well when Copernicus was postulating his hypotheses about the heliocentricity of the solar system that too did not adhere with Occam’s razor, it was a much more complicated view than the much simpler and more accepted Ptolemaic (geocentric) view and yet the Ptolemaic view was wrong. The Ptolemaic view was a much simpler explanation than Copernicus’ but it was wrong. So much for applying the principle of Occam ’s razor on that one.

Yes, but Copernicus had evidence to prove his theory. If he simply came out and stated his view without reproducible experiments and evidence to support it then certainly Occam's Razor would apply and you would be correct, but he didn't.
    In any case the explanation “God created it” is a vastly simpler explanation than the more complicated inflationary theory explanation which asks more questions than it answers if one is inclined to ask them.

Once more, I'll have to disagree. "God created it" explains nothing. It's simply saying here's a point in the sand and beyond there you can't go. It's only simpler if you refuse to ask questions :p
    And what pray tell is ‘meaning’ in a meaningless, purposeless, goaless universe?

This is moving away from what I was attempting to illustrate. But if you want an answer, personally and simply put I think the only meaning is what you put on it yourself. But this is a separate topic.
    I’m not saying He does. I would just like a level playing field in the possible explanations competition. I understand when some theists who have no interest in Science just say that “God did and that’s all that matters” is not a very good way to look at it but it might be enough for them. I’m not in that camp, I’m all for probing and exploring and studying the evidence and experimenting etc. because my faith is not based on Science. I can still have my faith and also wonder at the advancements in science. But I also believe that you can’t prove everything by the scientific method. For instance you cannot prove that a rose is beautiful by the scientific method or that Michelangelo’s David is a beautiful work of art and so on. Science has its place and it is a wondrous tool and I for one am all for it but it is limited only to what can be observed by the senses. Theology however is an altogether separate and distinct discipline which needs to be studied using a different method, be they speculative, philosophical or whatever.

I agree with you up to this point.
    Cosmology is where the two meet each other because both stake a claim to it, which gives the explanation that “God did it” good reason to be included among the other mostly theoretical explanations in science, and as already said if Occam’s razor is to be applied then the “God did it” explanation wins hands down even though He Himself might be the most complex being imaginable, but the explanation that “God did it” remains the simplest.

And this is where we part company once more :pac: This is probably due to semantics and definitions as we have to be very explicit as to what we mean, in this case defining god.

"God did it" is only simple if you define God as being outside the universe. However, that also means that he/she/it has no interaction whatsover with the universe, which to all intents and purposes means god does not exist !

I.e. as soon as something interacts with the universe, it is imposing upon it - that is, it has a measurable affect, which means it's subject to scientific scrutiny. Which means that you're going to have to come up with an explanation for God, otherwise 'god' is just a word that means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm not saying that it must have been created by a deity simply because we don't know how it was created. All I'm saying is that that explanation (it was created by God) should not be excluded as an option on the grounds that we don't scientifically know how it was created yet.

Well it depends on what you mean by excluded.

No one, no Christian Muslim Hindu, Atheist, anyone has come up with a way to either model or test the hypothesis that something made the universe. And it is doubtful we ever will unless that something chooses to allow it. As such the hypothesis that something made the universe is unverifiable. It is not considered within science because it is impossible to verify, test or determine.

Despite what some may believe or claim, religious faith falls far short of the standards required by science for a hypothesis to be considered.

That though isn't the same as declaring that something didn't make the universe. Something may have made the universe, but at the moment we don't know anything about this and we can't say how likely it is to be true.
    To know that it wasn't created by a deity would mean that we already have perfect knowledge and actually know how it actually was created which is blatantly false.
    I agree 100% with that. The hypothesis that we know with accuracy that it wasn't created by something is current as indeterminable as the assertion it was.

I would be careful though that we correctly conclude the position "we don't know" because of this, rather than using this fact as a spring board to launch into the idea that because we don't know something didn't create the universe ideas to the contrary are some how given greater merit or strength. They aren't.
    Let's probe and find out. If God exists (and there many many good reasons to believe that He does even though they might not all be scientific reasons) then all searching after truth will lead back to Him no matter what method is employed to get there, so I'm not afraid. For instance I can't wait for the James Webb Space Telescope to be launched to see what it finds.

I commend your respect for science, and if we did actually find a way to model or test a creator, your god or otherwise, that would truly be an exciting land-mark in science.

Ok, I'll give this a try. Simple options they may appear to be but to be answered they require complex explanations.
    But I thought Occam’s razor favored the simplest explanation? Inflationary theory is not the simplest explanation, especially when you have to explain how it works which involves understanding a lot of scientific jargon and is still only theoretical an unproven at the end of the day. Whereas “God created it” is still the simplest explanation. How? He spoke it into existence. You don’t need a science degree to understand what that means. So the ‘what’ and the ‘how’ explanations from a theistic view are still the simplest and if one adheres to Occam’s razor as you seem to do, then this explanation wins hands down
    Firstly, you're going to have to explain what you mean by 'beyond space and time'. By any definition I understand, that's a contraction in terms, i.e. there cannot be anything space and time as, by definition, space and time encompasses everything extant.
    Space and time encompasses everything in our reality. Just because we cannot see outside our own reality does not mean that there is nothing beyond it in a separate reality possibly called eternity. I know this cannot be tested scientifically but as said earlier, science may never be equipped to test all reality, only what is observable by our limited senses.
    Then you'll have to define what you mean by 'nothing'. In physical cosmology, a singularity is not a 'nothing'.

‘Nothing’ cannot be defined because ‘nothing’ isn’t! As soon as you define ‘nothing’ it becomes something. And yet even Stephen Hawking believes that the Universe just popped into existence from ‘nothing’ without violating the laws of physics. Of course it didn’t, because there was no laws of physics to violate, they were created along with everything else in the beginning. From the earliest initial conditions the Universe already encompassed the laws of physics and all this from nothing and also by nothing. If you are a proponent of the Big Bang theory and you are an atheist then this is the position you must hold. That everything just popped into existence from nothing and by nothing.
    The Big Bang model is currently the best supported model alright, and generally refers to the idea that the universe came from an initially hot and possibly infinitely dense condition, the singularity.
    Yes and this infinitude of mass and temperature means it had zero mass, and zero everything else, i.e. ‘nothing’.
    What it can't and doesn't do is provide any explanation for the initial condition, it only describes the general evolution of the universe from that first instant. Beyond that we currently can't tell what there was, but some hypotheses imply that it is actually possible the universe simply popped into existence.
    Yes, and Stephen Hawking is one of those people.
    I haven't been keeping up with it in detail, but I believe that some recent findings suggest that the total energy in the universe is zero.
    When you measure the positive and negative forces in the universe like the positive and negative charge and put the resulting values side by side then of course it will come out at a ‘0’ value, but that does not mean that there is nothing there. If you weigh two elephants that have the exact same weight say 2 tones each, then obviously they will cancel each other out on the weighing scale but you wouldn’t then turn around and say that because of that there are no elephants on the scales would you? Well that is what this theory is implying, that there is really no universe after all because when all its positive and negative components are balanced together the value comes to zero.
    This along with inflation (the Big Bang) suggests that all that is needed is just a tiny bit of energy to get the ball rolling, i.e. a tiny bit of energy in which inflation can begin. The universe can then experience inflationary expansion, but without creating net energy, as the positive energy of the particles of all matter is balanced out by the negative gravitational energy of everything pulling on everything else, hence a zero-energy universe (this is only a very Very simple overview).
    Well there are billions and billions of particles of energy in existence now so why don’t we observe things popping into existing like our universe all the time anymore? Why only our Universe? Why can’t we observe galaxies just popping into existence? Planets, Stars etc?? If all that is needed are tiny bits of energy?
    The big question then is where did this bit of energy come from ? And the answer to that lies in quantum theory, where particles and antiparticles can spontaneously form and quickly annihilate each other without violating the law of energy conservation. And experiments have proven that these quantum fluctuations do occur everywhere, all the time.
    Yes but they don’t create universes anymore. Why not? Why do they just annihilate each other all the time instead of creating a new universes or galaxies or stars or something that we have never observed before?
    Thus the emergence of complexity from simplicity, precluding the requirement of a complex eternal being. If you want to define god as being simple, e.g. energy or whatever, then feel free, but that's not a personal theistic god or anything which is relevant to us.
    If we define God as comprising of ‘Mind’ with no matter or substance as some theologians do then we would have the simplest of entities that could not only be immaterial but also personal.
    No, it would be utterly stupid and completely irrational to rule it out, but without any evidence whatsoever of this intelligence it's merely an assertion and explains nothing - there is no evidence, no hypothesis, no theory, no model, nothing.
    You can only say that there is no evidence only when you set the boundaries of what constitutes evidence. If only scientific evidence falls into this category then maybe it can’t be known scientifically, but I don’t agree that only evidence that complies with the scientific method is the only type of evidence that can be produced in order to conclude that God exists. There are very good reasons and plenty of evidence that show that God exists. The problem with people who don’t want to believe is that they have excluded this evidence as good enough because it is not scientific evidence. It’s like locking yourself into your room and refusing to believe in other rooms because there is no evidence in your room that other rooms exists. Stop limiting yourself to what you can prove whilst locked in your room and try unlocking the door and looking out side. Ok you might have to employ other methods of investigation which only work when your door is unlocked but that doesn’t mean that is in anyway invalid as a method or that it even invalidates your locked door method as sufficient for investigations things locked in your room. Like I said, I don’t need science to have a faith in God, I have that by other means.
    The Big Bang and physical cosmology explains the universe as we see it, and in the face of hypotheses which may explain what went before (which as I've already said may in some ways be a meaningless question) and which may be testable, it provides no answers whatsoever and certainly doesn't warrant investigation by science and I fail to see why it should receive any credence.
    Like I said, if we only use the scientific method then we may never find God. Maybe God has so constituted the Universe that He will not allow personal knowledge of Him to come via that route. The God of the Bible at least does not like being tested. From His point of view we are to be tested by Him, not the other way around. In the NT Jesus would not submit to performing miracles by means of proving who He was to anybody, be they ordinary folk, religious leaders or even earthly rulers. All the recorded miracles in the NT came as result of prior faith in Him by the individual(s) for whom the miracle(s) were performed. This might sound like a cop out and it only is one if there truly is no God but if there is a God who created the Universe and Jesus was His primary representative to mankind and was God Himself incarnate then this is the way God works whether we accept it or not.
    Once more, I'll have to disagree. "God created it" explains nothing. It's simply saying here's a point in the sand and beyond there you can't go. It's only simpler if you refuse to ask questions
    If God really did create it then as an explanation of how it got here we can’t go any further. If I understand it correctly even now when delving into the microscopic elementary particle world, science can go no further than theoretical naming conventions, quarks, gluons, bosons and so on. The problem with some of them is that their position and velocity cannot be measure simultaneously. When you try measuring the position of certain subatomic particles their velocity changes and vice verse so at the most basic elementary level of reality what we have a sea of pure randomness in behavior, and this randomness is what undergirds all reality as we know it scientifically. Order out of disorder, but how? Same goes on the macro scale. When one encounters the boundaries of the universe itself, there is a point beyond which we cannot go in observational data collecting. It’s like both ends of reality are cut off from a full understanding of our minds, with us sort of stuck in the middle, at least that is how I see it.
    And this is where we part company once more This is probably due to semantics and definitions as we have to be very explicit as to what we mean, in this case defining god.
    If there is such a being as God then God would be defined as the greatest conceivable being, anything greater than that, is God.
    "God did it" is only simple if you define God as being outside the universe. However, that also means that he/she/it has no interaction whatsover with the universe, which to all intents and purposes means god does not exist !
    Science and Scripture agree on this point, that space and time had a beginning in the finite past. If God really did do it, then obviously He exists outside the universe which had this beginning in order to create it. But I fail to see how you can make the leap that just because He exists outside the universe that He cannot interact with it, especially being a being powerful enough to create the universe in the first place. That would be like saying that a keeper of fish who exists outside his fish tank cannot interact with his fish tank, like cleaning it out and introducing new fish and so on.
    I.e. as soon as something interacts with the universe, it is imposing upon it - that is, it has a measurable affect, which means it's subject to scientific scrutiny. Which means that you're going to have to come up with an explanation for God, otherwise 'god' is just a word that means nothing.
    If God exists at all then He is the greatest conceivable being, powerful enough to create a universe plus is not made of the same stuff as the universe i.e. matter, energy etc then surely his interaction with it would not effect it in the same way that say an object made of solid iron the size of a billion billion galaxies would affect it if it was suddenly and instantly added to its composition would affect it, just like how the arm of the fish keeper would affect the behavior of the water in the fish tank and the objects that he touches in it would be affected once he decides to interact with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

But I thought Occam’s razor favored the simplest explanation? Inflationary theory is not the simplest explanation, especially when you have to explain how it works which involves understanding a lot of scientific jargon and is still only theoretical an unproven at the end of the day. Whereas “God created it” is still the simplest explanation. How? He spoke it into existence. You don’t need a science degree to understand what that means. So the ‘what’ and the ‘how’ explanations from a theistic view are still the simplest and if one adheres to Occam’s razor as you seem to do, then this explanation wins hands down
    Don't be stupid. Now you have to explain god, and you no longer have the simplest explanation.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

How did I miss this thread? I'll post my two cents here in a bit.

MrPudding wrote: »
    Don't be stupid. Now you have to explain god, and you no longer have the simplest explanation.

MrP

We know that leafs fall from trees in Autumn because they die and are left to the mercy of a force we call gravity, and due to this force they hit the ground rather than float off into space. Now this is a good explanation as to why leafs fall and hit the ground and yet nobody understands gravity or needs to explain it in order for that explanation to be a good and agreeable one do they? In short, we don't need to explain the explanation given (i.e. gravity did it) in order for it to be a good explantion as why leaves hit the ground as apposed to floating off into space.

Morbert wrote: »
    How did I miss this thread? I'll post my two cents here in a bit.

Can't wait :pac:

Well it depends on what you mean by excluded.

No one, no Christian Muslim Hindu, Atheist, anyone has come up with a way to either model or test the hypothesis that something made the universe.
    But what we do know is that the universe exists, and we also know that it had a beginning point in the finite past, beyond that point (if there is a beyond) we don’t know scientifically, therefore enter the explanations. The Biblical claim is that God created it from nothing. It even declares that time began at some point in the finite past. All these ideas (e.g. time having a beginning) where almost universally rejected by the scientific community before the Big Bang theory entered the fray. I find that rather remarkable.
    And it is doubtful we ever will unless that something chooses to allow it. As such the hypothesis that something made the universe is unverifiable. It is not considered within science because it is impossible to verify, test or determine.
    I wouldn’t say that. Who knows whether or not another Einstein might come along and prove conclusively that it either was or wasn’t created by a verifiable theory of everything.
    Despite what some may believe or claim, religious faith falls far short of the standards required by science for a hypothesis to be considered.
    Religious faith never asks to be accepted as a scientific hypotheses. It is what it is. Again it might never be something that can be verified by the scientific method, just like the beautiful rose from an earlier post.
    That though isn't the same as declaring that something didn't make the universe. Something may have made the universe, but at the moment we don't know anything about this and we can't say how likely it is to be true.
    I know, those darn boundaries again :D
    I commend your respect for science
    And I yours for not concluding that there is no God based on imperfect scientific knowledge.
    and if we did actually find a way to model or test a creator, your god or otherwise, that would truly be an exciting land-mark in science.

If God exists then He would need to open the door for it. Maybe somebody might accidentally stumble upon how to do it just like many of the great scientific discoveries were made, seemingly by accident, or was it? :D

• Advertisement

But what we do know is that the universe exists, and we also know that it had a beginning point in the finite past, beyond that point (if there is a beyond) we don’t know scientifically, therefore enter the explanations. The Biblical claim is that God created it from nothing. It even declares that time began at some point in the finite past. All these ideas (e.g. time having a beginning) where almost universally rejected by the scientific community before the Big Bang theory entered the fray. I find that rather remarkable.

A large amount of world religions have what are known as "creation myths", as they believe the world was created some how, often by a deity or deities.

It isn't really that unusual that your religion has a creation myth, it is after all an either or situation (it either does or it doesn't, two options). Most of the religions from the area your religion originated from also have creation myths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_myth

So I can't really see the remarkable aspect of this. If your creation myth had mentioned an inflation field that would be interesting. :)
    I wouldn’t say that. Who knows whether or not another Einstein might come along and prove conclusively that it either was or wasn’t created by a verifiable theory of everything.

But given that God is supernatural he can influence the universe without indication. So unless God decided to leave evidence of himself that can be modelled and tested it will remain outside of our grasp. And even then there are a lot of potential issues with the idea of modelling a supernatural being. You would have to figure out what he did

And to be honest (and this is just my opinion) one would think that if he was going to do that he would have done it already (the Bible doesn't count :))
    Religious faith never asks to be accepted as a scientific hypotheses.
    Religious faith often asks to be accepted as a scientific hypotheses. The world is full of people complaining that science does deal with their particular religious beliefs. That is basically what Creationism is.
    If God exists then He would need to open the door for it.

That is the problem. And even then it is debatable whether we can model a deity.

A large amount of world religions have what are known as "creation myths", as they believe the world was created some how, often by a deity or deities.
    It isn't really that unusual that your religion has a creation myth, it is after all an either or situation (it either does or it doesn't, two options). Most of the religions from the area your religion originated from also have creation myths.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_myth
    So I can't really see the remarkable aspect of this. If your creation myth had mentioned an inflation field that would be interesting.
    Imagine it had mentioned an inflation field, I wonder how many people would have embraced it when it was written. “In the beginning the inflation field created the heavens and the earth” :D In any case the biblical account for the creation is the only one that has the creator create from nothing. God speaks and the thing spoken becomes reality e.g. “Let there be light”. Contrast that with the Babylonian account of creation. There you have two monsters rearranging stuff that was already there. And only in the Bible do we have the concept of “before time”: “No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.” 1 Corinthians 2:7. Most other non Abrahamic faiths have a view of the universe as being eternal in the past.
    But given that God is supernatural he can influence the universe without indication. So unless God decided to leave evidence of himself that can be modelled and tested it will remain outside of our grasp. And even then there are a lot of potential issues with the idea of modelling a supernatural being. You would have to figure out what he did
    I have no reason not to conceded that point.
    And to be honest (and this is just my opinion) one would think that if he was going to do that he would have done it already (the Bible doesn't count :)
    If we didn’t have the Bible then we could not have a good discussions now could we? :D
    Religious faith often asks to be accepted as a scientific hypotheses. The world is full of people complaining that science does deal with their particular religious beliefs. That is basically what Creationism is.
    Yes religious people do but religious faith just is what it is and requires now scientific testing to be proved correct or otherwise. There are other ways to determine that and that is done with much research and knowledge of history, philosophy and many other tools. Instead of saying that religious faith issues cannot be tested scientifically what should be said is that science is ill equipped to deal with such things. Most of early science was un-divorced from the theology of its day anyway. It’s only since the likes of Hume, Kant and Darwin that science (especially the area of biology and natural history) that science stepped out on its own two feet. I say fair play, if that is the way it has to be then so be it, but it is noteworthy that it wasn’t always that way, theology was once reckoned among the sciences and nearly all the great thinkers of science to a man was either theistic or deistic in their beliefs, from Plato through Aristotle to Newton and on one might go, even Albert Einstein was Deistic in his view of the universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

But I thought Occam’s razor favored the simplest explanation? Inflationary theory is not the simplest explanation, especially when you have to explain how it works which involves understanding a lot of scientific jargon and is still only theoretical an unproven at the end of the day. Whereas “God created it” is still the simplest explanation.

Once again, you are refusing to explain god. Without knowing what god is it doesn't even come into consideration.
    Space and time encompasses everything in our reality. Just because we cannot see outside our own reality does not mean that there is nothing beyond it in a separate reality possibly called eternity. I know this cannot be tested scientifically but as said earlier, science may never be equipped to test all reality, only what is observable by our limited senses.

What are you talking about, separate reality? There can be only one reality, by definition. You just said 'Space and time encompasses everything in our reality' and that's literally it, end of the line, there's no need to go any further because you can't! Repeating myself once more, it's the same as asking what's north of the North Pole, it's meaningless.

‘Nothing’ cannot be defined because ‘nothing’ isn’t! As soon as you define ‘nothing’ it becomes something. And yet even Stephen Hawking believes that the Universe just popped into existence from ‘nothing’ without violating the laws of physics. Of course it didn’t, because there was no laws of physics to violate, they were created along with everything else in the beginning. From the earliest initial conditions the Universe already encompassed the laws of physics and all this from nothing and also by nothing. If you are a proponent of the Big Bang theory and you are an atheist then this is the position you must hold. That everything just popped into existence from nothing and by nothing.

Gah, please reread my post in it's entirety.
    Yes and this infinitude of mass and temperature means it had zero mass, and zero everything else, i.e. ‘nothing’.

That's self-contradictory, how can an infinitude of mass = zero mass. What?
    When you measure the positive and negative forces in the universe like the positive and negative charge and put the resulting values side by side then of course it will come out at a ‘0’ value, but that does not mean that there is nothing there. If you weigh two elephants that have the exact same weight say 2 tones each, then obviously they will cancel each other out on the weighing scale but you wouldn’t then turn around and say that because of that there are no elephants on the scales would you? Well that is what this theory is implying, that there is really no universe after all because when all its positive and negative components are balanced together the value comes to zero.

This is what you're (emphasis on you!) implying from the theory, the theory itself says no such thing, it's self-contained. Here's where you need to begin studying physics :D Here's a link to paper by Andre Linde, one of the scientists working on inflationary cosmology, enjoy!
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0503203
    Well there are billions and billions of particles of energy in existence now so why don’t we observe things popping into existing like our universe all the time anymore?

In my very first post and my second post I said that we do.
    Why only our Universe? Why can’t we observe galaxies just popping into existence? Planets, Stars etc?? If all that is needed are tiny bits of energy?

This universe, the one we are in, may have come from ONE piece of energy, and evolved via the Big Bang - over a very long period of time, the slightly denser regions of the distributed matter gravitationally attracted nearby matter and thus grew even denser, forming the galaxies, gas clouds, stars and all the other things we can see today. I.E. the singularity popped into existence, the suggestion that entire complex structures pop into existence is ludicrous. The hypothesis may very well mean that other bits of energy may spawn other universes entirely, but we'll probably never know of them. Read the paper I linked above.
    Yes but they don’t create universes anymore. Why not? Why do they just annihilate each other all the time instead of creating a new universes or galaxies or stars or something that we have never observed before?

As above, perhaps they may create other universes, but by the very definition of a universe, we'll never know about them. Look up the various multiverse theories and the paper above.
    If we define God as comprising of ‘Mind’ with no matter or substance as some theologians do then we would have the simplest of entities that could not only be immaterial but also personal.

If something has no matter or no substance then it's immaterial alright, you've just defined it right out of existence.
    There are very good reasons and plenty of evidence that show that God exists.

What evidence? Don't you understand that if there is evidence of a god it would be the most fantastic thing ever for science, scientists would be tripping over themselves to investigate it.
    The problem with people who don’t want to believe is that they have excluded this evidence as good enough because it is not scientific evidence.

What evidence ?
    It’s like locking yourself into your room and refusing to believe in other rooms because there is no evidence in your room that other rooms exists. Stop limiting yourself to what you can prove whilst locked in your room and try unlocking the door and looking out side. Ok you might have to employ other methods of investigation which only work when your door is unlocked but that doesn’t mean that is in anyway invalid as a method or that it even invalidates your locked door method as sufficient for investigations things locked in your room.

I'm afraid this analogy completely fails as the door and the lock are evidence that there may be other rooms so there is no reason to refuse to believe in them.
    Like I said, I don’t need science to have a faith in God, I have that by other means.

Interesting, what are these if you don't mind me asking ?

Like I said, if we only use the scientific method then we may never find God. Maybe God has so constituted the Universe that He will not allow personal knowledge of Him to come via that route.

The universe is by definition everything, therefore no info can come from any other route. You can't keep changing the definitions to what suits you.
    The God of the Bible at least does not like being tested.

So what's the point in praying or asking him for help in anything?
    From His point of view we are to be tested by Him, not the other way around. In the NT Jesus would not submit to performing miracles by means of proving who He was to anybody, be they ordinary folk, religious leaders or even earthly rulers.

Why not ?
    All the recorded miracles in the NT came as result of prior faith in Him by the individual(s) for whom the miracle(s) were performed.

If the only source and evidence for these miracles is the NT then that means nothing to me. Without those you're saying - miracles in NT mean NT speaks of genuine god, thus NT is genuine, thus miracles are genuine = circular reasoning.
    If God really did create it then as an explanation of how it got here we can’t go any further.

You're asking me to explain how the Big Bang came about from 'nothing', you're not satisfied that at this particular moment there is no definitive answer, while simultaneously as soon as god is mentioned you are willing to stop questioning right there - why the different standards ?
    If I understand it correctly even now when delving into the microscopic elementary particle world, science can go no further than theoretical naming conventions, quarks, gluons, bosons and so on. (snippety snip). It’s like both ends of reality are cut off from a full understanding of our minds, with us sort of stuck in the middle, at least that is how I see it.

The important bit above is "even now". Science is an ongoing process and these questions might be answered tomorrow. You're simply using the god of the gaps argument.
    If there is such a being as God then God would be defined as the greatest conceivable being, anything greater than that, is God.

I don't understand, anything greater than god, is god ? That makes no logical sense whatsover :confused:
    Science and Scripture agree on this point, that space and time had a beginning in the finite past. If God really did do it, then obviously He exists outside the universe which had this beginning in order to create it. But I fail to see how you can make the leap that just because He exists outside the universe that He cannot interact with it, especially being a being powerful enough to create the universe in the first place. That would be like saying that a keeper of fish who exists outside his fish tank cannot interact with his fish tank, like cleaning it out and introducing new fish and so on.

Awful analogy, but if you want to use it.. e.g. if I were a fish in the tank I could simply look through the sides and see the keeper outside. If the sides were black and another fish suddenly plopped in I could measure it's size, length, calculate where it came from, etc.
    It would be obvious that there's something outside, thus the fish tank is not the entire universe, i.e. the observable universe expands and we can make diret measurements, i.e. it's subject to science.

If the sides are black so that I can't see out, and/or the top is blocked off or whatever else, then the keeper cannot put another fish in or make any changes, he cannot interact! So to repeat myself again, by definition there cannot be anything outside the universe.

If God exists at all then He is the greatest conceivable being, powerful enough to create a universe plus is not made of the same stuff as the universe i.e. matter, energy etc then surely his interaction with it would not effect it in the same way that say an object made of solid iron the size of a billion billion galaxies would affect it if it was suddenly and instantly added to its composition would affect it, just like how the arm of the fish keeper would affect the behavior of the water in the fish tank and the objects that he touches in it would be affected once he decides to interact with them.

See above.

Imagine it had mentioned an inflation field, I wonder how many people would have embraced it when it was written. “In the beginning the inflation field created the heavens and the earth” :D In any case the biblical account for the creation is the only one that has the creator create from nothing. God speaks and the thing spoken becomes reality e.g. “Let there be light”. Contrast that with the Babylonian account of creation. There you have two monsters rearranging stuff that was already there. And only in the Bible do we have the concept of “before time”: “No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.” 1 Corinthians 2:7. Most other non Abrahamic faiths have a view of the universe as being eternal in the past.

I'd recommend reading Hamlet's Mill by Giorgio De Santillana and Hertha von Dechend; it deals with creation myths in a facinating way.

Taoism creation myths state that all was created from nothing, that nothing existed before; as do Sikhist creation myths and the creation myths in Mandaeism; likewise, the Apaches stated that nothing existed before the creation. So you see that the idea of nothing existing before isn't confined to Christianity.

Anyway, I don't think even mentioning that there was nothing before lends any credence to the idea. In human life, there is always a start and a finish with all things we deal with; so I don't find it too difficult to see how humans may have thought that the universe had to have started at some stage: It's the natural conclusion.
    Nearly all the great thinkers of science to a man was either theistic or deistic in their beliefs, from Plato through Aristotle to Newton and on one might go, even Albert Einstein was Deistic in his view of the universe.

I'd have to disagree on the case of Einstein. Einstein certainly wasn't theistic; but, I'm not so sure about him being deistic. There are many, many quotes expressing his lack of a belief in any god, and, I think that when he expressed his disbelief in a god, that he is talking about both a theistic god and a deistic god. From what I've read about him, the general consensus is that he was pantheistic; and I think that most scientists who mention a god are doing so in a pantheistic way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

This post is probably inspired by Pale Blue Dot, Carl Sagans book, that I just finished reading a few minutes ago.

If God created the universe, why, oh why, did He make it so vast?

If, indeed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

If we make it to eternity we will be shown off as His crowning creation.

Us? How embarrassing for him.

• Advertisement

rockbeer wrote: »
    It would be very funny though. Might make a good Atheist Youtube skit.

Our Christian god is there with his other god mates, having a few beers and maybe playing a bit of poker.

Gods: Come on god, show us this creation you have been harping on about for evar.
    God: OK. Do you promise not to laugh.
    Gods: OK, we promise.
    God: Ta da….
    Gods: <Quiet giggling>
    God: What!
    God: Is that it? Look at the eyes! Why are the nerves going through the front of it? That is just silly.
    God: Ummm, I don’t know. I thought it would be cool.
    Gods: How come they have two kidneys but only one heart?
    God: Ummm, so they can give one to their children if they need one?
    Gods: Hardly perfect, is it?
    God: I'll get me coat...

MrP

Once again, you are refusing to explain god. Without knowing what god is it doesn't even come into consideration.

I've given a definition of God more than once in this thread. Plus I also pointed out that you don't need to explain the explantion in order for it to be an explantion. Gravity explains why leafs fall but we don't yet understand gravity or need to explain it in order for it to be the explantion that leafs fall to the ground.
    What are you talking about, separate reality? There can be only one reality, by definition. You just said 'Space and time encompasses everything in our reality' and that's literally it, end of the line, there's no need to go any further because you can't! Repeating myself once more, it's the same as asking what's north of the North Pole, it's meaningless.

Look, if the universe came from nothing, that means that something beyond space and time caused it, otherwise you beleive it caused itself, which is impossible because in order for it to cause itself then it would need to exists and we know it didn't. Why do you think there is so much running to and fro to escape the popping into existence of the singularity from nothing from which the universe has been expanding ever since? What else apart from a trancendent being could have caused it?
    Gah, please reread my post in it's entirety.

I'll pencil it in for later.
    That's self-contradictory, how can an infinitude of mass = zero mass. What?

At the singulairty you reach infinite denistiy and zero volume which equates to exactly “Nothing”.
    This is what you're (emphasis on you!) implying from the theory, the theory itself says no such thing, it's self-contained.
    It was you who suggested that the universe has zero energy not me.
    Here's where you need to begin studying physics Here's a link to paper by Andre Linde, one of the scientists working on inflationary cosmology, enjoy!http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0503203
    Fascinating, well the parts I could understand and not being a student of physics or a professional to whom as it states in the preface it is written I thought I did ok.

Here’s one from Guth, Borde and Vilenkin http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0110/0110012v2.pdf who sort of agree with Linde but don’t see the universe as existing eternal in the past as Lindes tend to prefer it. Linde's model has an infinite future. But Linde is troubled at the prospect of an absolute beginning. He says, "The most difficult aspect of this problem is not the existence of the singularity itself, but the question of what was before the singularity… This problem lies somewhere at the boundary between physics and metaphysics." Linde therefore proposes that chaotic inflation is not only endless, but beginningless. Every domain in the universe is the product of inflation in another domain, so that the singularity is averted and with it as well the question of what came before (or, more accurately, what caused it).

However, as Arvind Borde and Alexander Vilenkin show, a universe eternally inflating toward the future cannot be geodesically complete in the past, so that there must have existed at some point in the indefinite past an initial singularity. They say: “A model in which the inflationary phase has no end . . . naturally leads to this question: Can this model also be extended to the infinite past, avoiding in this way the problem of the initial singularity? This is in fact not possible in future-eternal inflationary spacetimes as long as they obey some reasonable physical conditions: such models must necessarily possess initial singularities, the fact that inflationary spacetimes are past incomplete forces one to address the question of what, if anything, came before.”

In response, Linde reluctantly concurs with the conclusion of Borde and Vilenkin: there must have been a Big Bang singularity at some point in the past. Which again begs the question. How? If the law sof physics break down at this point then how could it have gotten started without a transcendent causal agent?
    This universe, the one we are in, may have come from ONE piece of energy, and evolved via the Big Bang - over a very long period of time, the slightly denser regions of the distributed matter gravitationally attracted nearby matter and thus grew even denser, forming the galaxies, gas clouds, stars and all the other things we can see today. I.E. the singularity popped into existence, the suggestion that entire complex structures pop into existence is ludicrous. The hypothesis may very well mean that other bits of energy may spawn other universes entirely, but we'll probably never know of them. Read the paper I linked above.
    I did, read reply above.
    As above, perhaps they may create other universes, but by the very definition of a universe, we'll never know about them. Look up the various multiverse theories and the paper above.
    My point was, why is it only universes that pop into existence from nothing? Why not planets, galaxies etc? Are they more complex than universes?
    If something has no matter or no substance then it's immaterial alright, you've just defined it right out of existence.
    Well there was no such thing as a universe once too.
    What evidence? Don't you understand that if there is evidence of a god it would be the most fantastic thing ever for science, scientists would be tripping over themselves to investigate it.
    Well to me the fact that the universe had a beginning is a good indicator that it had a beginner, even Stephen Hawking is willing to accept that. He understands the theological implications should the universe be proven to have had a beginning, that’s why his model of the universe does not appeal to one, but his model is as unverifiable as God from a scientific point of view because he needs to incorporate imaginary time into his model in order for it to work and there is no such thing as imaginary time.
    What evidence ?
    Historical evidence and moral evidence. The use of the ontological arguments and the cosmological arguments which I submit are not evidence as such but fun all the same.
    I'm afraid this analogy completely fails as the door and the lock are evidence that there may be other rooms so there is no reason to refuse to believe in them.
    So that the door has a lock is proof that there are other rooms? How So? I would say that it is proof that it has a lock not that there are other rooms.
    Interesting, what are these if you don't mind me asking ?
    My faith is based on the resurrection of Jesus from the dead as a fact of history. If you want me to go into it in more detail then no problem. Simply put, I believe the reporters.
    The universe is by definition everything, therefore no info can come from any other route. You can't keep changing the definitions to what suits you.
    I’m not. The universe is not everything by definition. That means that what it contains is everything. If that is the case then everything that now is always was, and we have shown that is not the case. Just because the universe contains everything we know, does not mean it contains everything there is. How can everything come from nothing?
    So what's the point in praying or asking him for help in anything?
    Praying is giving thanks and making request, it is not testing.
    Why not ?
    Because He doesn’t like it maybe? Would you like to have to prove your trustworthiness as a person before getting involved in all your earthly relationships?
    If the only source and evidence for these miracles is the NT then that means nothing to me. Without those you're saying - miracles in NT mean NT speaks of genuine god, thus NT is genuine, thus miracles are genuine = circular reasoning.
    That is a terrible argument and as usual it is born of ignorance of New Testament research and criticism. Why are the New Testament documents unreliable as historical sources for the life and works of Jesus? I can point you to many who have devoted their lives to researching and studying these documents and to a man they all concur that they are reliable sources for the life of Jesus.
    You're asking me to explain how the Big Bang came about from 'nothing', you're not satisfied that at this particular moment there is no definitive answer, while simultaneously as soon as god is mentioned you are willing to stop questioning right there - why the different standards ?
    I’m not willing to stop there at all. I’m just totally convinced that it was created with wisdom beyond our comprehension. But I’m still all for exploring it and finding out more about it and so on. Just because I believe it is created does not stop me from asking questions about its makeup and composition and how it all fits together and works. Just like the way an archeologist would find an ancient city buried in the ground, believing all the while that it was built by a particular civilization. He’s not going to stop digging just because he knows who built it is he?
    The important bit above is "even now". Science is an ongoing process and these questions might be answered tomorrow. You're simply using the god of the gaps argument.
    I’m always being accused of that for some reason. Like I said in an earlier post, bring on the James Webb Space Telescope. My bet is that it will reveal the universe to be an even more amazing place than we have ever thought before. That is my prediction. And if it shows conclusively beyond a shadow of a doubt that the universe was not and did not have a beginning point in the finite past then I will have to go back to the books. But like I said my faith is not based on science anyway. For me to lose that I would need someone to be able to show me with facts and evidence that Jesus did not rise from the dead as a fact of history as it is reported in the New Testament texts.
    I don't understand, anything greater than god, is god ? That makes no logical sense whatsover
    Everything coming nothing from makes no logical sense to me either.
    Awful analogy, but if you want to use it.. e.g. if I were a fish in the tank I could simply look through the sides and see the keeper outside. If the sides were black and another fish suddenly plopped in I could measure it's size, length, calculate where it came from, etc.
    It would be obvious that there's something outside, thus the fish tank is not the entire universe, i.e. the observable universe expands and we can make diret measurements, i.e. it's subject to science.

If the sides are black so that I can't see out, and/or the top is blocked off or whatever else, then the keeper cannot put another fish in or make any changes, he cannot interact! So to repeat myself again, by definition there cannot be anything outside the universe.

Then how do you account for the force which overrode the slowdown in the early universe’s history with an expansion rate fast enough to stop it from collapsing in on itself? That force (Dark Energy) changed the then universe but it did not kick in until a certain point in the universes history. Why not? Was it even there in the beginning? If so then why was it not constant from that point as seems to have been ever since it kicked in? This could be construed as something new in the fish tank couldn’t it?

Pray tell why please.

It would be very funny though. Might make a good Atheist Youtube skit.

Our Christian god is there with his other god mates, having a few beers and maybe playing a bit of poker.

Gods: Come on god, show us this creation you have been harping on about for evar.
    God: OK. Do you promise not to laugh.
    Gods: OK, we promise.
    God: Ta da….
    Gods: <Quiet giggling>
    God: What!
    God: Is that it? Look at the eyes! Why are the nerves going through the front of it? That is just silly.
    God: Ummm, I don’t know. I thought it would be cool.
    Gods: How come they have two kidneys but only one heart?
    God: Ummm, so they can give one to their children if they need one?
    Gods: Hardly perfect, is it?
    God: I'll get me coat...

MrP

You're wasted here.

Pray tell why please.
    Because for something supposedly designed my a perfect being we are surprisingly crappily designed.
    You're wasted here.
    I know.

MrP

• Advertisement

Fascinating, well the parts I could understand and not being a student of physics or a professional to whom as it states in the preface it is written I thought I did ok.

Here’s one from Guth, Borde and Vilenkin http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0110/0110012v2.pdf who sort of agree with Linde but don’t see the universe as existing eternal in the past as Lindes tend to prefer it. Linde's model has an infinite future. But Linde is troubled at the prospect of an absolute beginning. He says, "The most difficult aspect of this problem is not the existence of the singularity itself, but the question of what was before the singularity… This problem lies somewhere at the boundary between physics and metaphysics." Linde therefore proposes that chaotic inflation is not only endless, but beginningless. Every domain in the universe is the product of inflation in another domain, so that the singularity is averted and with it as well the question of what came before (or, more accurately, what caused it).

However, as Arvind Borde and Alexander Vilenkin show, a universe eternally inflating toward the future cannot be geodesically complete in the past, so that there must have existed at some point in the indefinite past an initial singularity. They say: “A model in which the inflationary phase has no end . . . naturally leads to this question: Can this model also be extended to the infinite past, avoiding in this way the problem of the initial singularity? This is in fact not possible in future-eternal inflationary spacetimes as long as they obey some reasonable physical conditions: such models must necessarily possess initial singularities, the fact that inflationary spacetimes are past incomplete forces one to address the question of what, if anything, came before.”

In response, Linde reluctantly concurs with the conclusion of Borde and Vilenkin: there must have been a Big Bang singularity at some point in the past. Which again begs the question. How? If the law sof physics break down at this point then how could it have gotten started without a transcendent causal agent?

And this is your own opinion, yes? Because, a quick copy and paste into Google of any particular sentence, reveals that what you've posted here as your own is actually all over the internet, here, for example (About half way down under the heading "Chaotic Inflationary Model").

For example, from the website I have linked:

"Inflation also forms the context for the next alternative to arise: the Chaotic Inflationary Model. One of the most fertile of the inflation theorists has been the Russian cosmologist Andrei Linde.{33} In Linde's model inflation never ends: each inflating domain of the universe when it reaches a certain volume gives rise via inflation to another domain, and so on, ad infinitum (Fig. 6).

Linde's model thus has an infinite future. But Linde is troubled at the prospect of an absolute beginning. He writes, "The most difficult aspect of this problem is not the existence of the singularity itself, but the question of what was before the singularity . . . . This problem lies somewhere at the boundary between physics and metaphysics."{34} Linde therefore proposes that chaotic inflation is not only endless, but beginningless. Every domain in the universe is the product of inflation in another domain, so that the singularity is averted and with it as well the question of what came before (or, more accurately, what caused it).

In 1994, however, Arvind Borde and Alexander Vilenkin showed that a universe eternally inflating toward the future cannot be geodesically complete in the past, so that there must have existed at some point in the indefinite past an initial singularity. They write,
    A model in which the inflationary phase has no end . . . naturally leads to this question: Can this model also be extended to the infinite past, avoiding in this way the problem of the initial singularity?
    . . . this is in fact not possible in future-eternal inflationary spacetimes as long as they obey some reasonable physical conditions: such models must necessarily possess initial singularities.
    . . . the fact that inflationary spacetimes are past incomplete forces one to address the question of what, if anything, came before.{35}

In response, Linde reluctantly concurs with the conclusion of Borde and Vilenkin: there must have been a Big Bang singularity at some point in the past."

Nobody likes plagiarism. Cite anything you use in future.

Nobody likes plagiarism. Cite anything you use in future.
    It is almost like stealing. What is it someone said about stealing....?

MrP

MrP

Isn't it one of the 10 Commandments? Some might even say that breaking it is a very un-Christian thing to do; it would be very funny if somebody broke it in a debate arguing for Christianity... Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Because for something supposedly designed my a perfect being we are surprisingly crappily designed.

Baby's are parasites, we're crappily designed.. You must be a bag of laughs.

Jimi: She's got beautiful eyes
    Mr P: Well actually, they're poorly designed pieces of gristle. Not to mention attached to a parasite who managed to con its way into existance by making its host feel some feeling called love. Evolutions a bitch!
    Jimi: /Backs away slowly.

On a serious note, I think our design is great. Not only can I see, the natural world fills me with joy. So not only have I got these eyes, but also so much that tantilise them. Same goes for my ears and pretty much all my senses. Not that I think I'll get through to someone who hates himself so much.

Mr P on dating site.

Poorly designed reformed parasite seeking other poorly designed reformed parasite, for friendship or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Perhaps you simply forgot to cite the source, Soul Winner? :pac:

MrP

Handbag away, Mr P. Thank you!

JimiTime wrote: »
    And so what? I don't mind.
    Mr P: Well actually, they're poorly designed pieces of gristle. Not to mention attached to a parasite who managed to con its way into existance by making its host feel some feeling called love. Evolutions a bitch!
    Funny, each of my 4 ex-parasites do have beautiful eyes. Eyes made all the more wonderful by the knowledge that they evolved from simple light sensitive cells to become the amazing organs they are now. But lets face it, for an "abrakadabra, let there be eyes...." the designer really could have done better.

Actually, your mock conversation reminds me about a bit in Climbing Mount Improbable where Dawkins is talking about a car trip with his daughter. She said something, can't remember what, but a typical child thing to say, and and Dawkins said something along the lines of "well, I had to tell her that this was complete toss and what actually happens is this...." Sound like a lot of fun to live with.:D I don't think santa had much of a lifespan in the Dawkins household.
    On a serious note, I think our design is great. Not only can I see, the natural world fills me with joy. So not only have I got these eyes, but also so much that tantilise them. Same goes for my ears and pretty much all my senses. Not that I think I'll get through to someone who hates himself so much.
    Wrong end of the stick there. I don't hate myself at all. I think human beings, when looked at as creatures that have evolved from much simpler organisms, are truely amazing. Mind bogglingly so.

I don't believe we were designed and created. Why does that mean I hate myself? My point is that if we were designed and created, it was a pretty poor job. That does not detract from how amazing I think we are, because I simply don't believe we were designed and created.

MrP

Wrong end of the stick there. I don't hate myself at all. I think human beings, when looked at as creatures that have evolved from much simpler organisms, are truely amazing. Mind bogglingly so.

I don't believe we were designed and created. Why does that mean I hate myself? My point is that if we were designed and created, it was a pretty poor job. That does not detract from how amazing I think we are, because I simply don't believe we were designed and created.

MrP

So as an accident we are amazing, but as a design its a 'could do better'. Gotcha. I'd agree about the accident though. That would certainly be mind bogglingly amazing.

So as an accident we are amazing, but as a design its a 'could do better'. Gotcha. I'd agree about the accident though. That would certainly be mind bogglingly amazing.
    Well yes, except I never said anything about accidents. There are any number of "flaws" in our design. These are easily explained by evolution, but slightly harder to reconcile if you believe that we were designed and created by a perfect being.

Oh wait, I forgot about the fall.....:rolleyes:

MrP

Well yes, except I never said anything about accidents. There are any number of "flaws" in our design. These are easily explained by evolution, but slightly harder to reconcile if you believe that we were designed and created by a perfect being.

Oh wait, I forgot about the fall.....:rolleyes:

MrP

I find it quite odd, and quite curious, that atheists really back away from the word accident when it comes to evolution. If there is no design, then its all accidental. If there is nothing pushing, then there is no purpose, so its all accidental. I agree calling all the amazing coincidences accidents make them sound alarmingly far fetched, but hey ho.

I find it quite odd, and quite curious, that atheists really back away from the word accident when it comes to evolution.

Then you've talked to atheists who know very little about evolution.
    If there is no design, then its all accidental.

How do you manage to conclude that?
    If there is nothing pushing

Natural Selection.
    then there is no purpose

Survival.
    so its all accidental.

No.
    I agree calling all the amazing coincidences accidents make them sound alarmingly far fetched, but hey ho.

If they were accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Jimi: Of course you do know that these things are inherently evil...
    :pac:

studiorat wrote: »
    Jimi: Of course you do know that these things are inherently evil...
    :pac:

:)

Then you've talked to atheists who know very little about evolution.

I think you misunderstood. I said they back way from the word accident, like you are doing.

Natural Selection.

Is an accident. Without a purpose, its accidental. Nature etc, does not 'think'. If anything, it can only be instinctive, atheistically speaking. It just happens to accidentally discover improvements etc. Its not purpose driven, unless you believe in some all encomassing force purposefully driving this natural selection onwards. Saying survival, once again is accidental. The push for survival was an accident, as nothing gave life purpose. The fact that it pushes for survival therefore is once again, accidental.

Anyway, I think this is more suited to the evolution thread.

So as an accident we are amazing, but as a design its a 'could do better'. Gotcha.

Well yes. A lot better.

I've never understand why some theists have such a problem with this.

Humans, and most other species, are littered with design that while functional are poor or wasteful or inefficient compared to similar design in other species.

Compared to a lot of other species we have poor eyes. This limits a lot of what we can do, but people tend not to notice (no one can see well in the dark, so people seem to assume we aren't "meant" to see well in the dark)

Is an accident. Without a purpose, its accidental.
    Depends on what you mean by "accidental". That wouldn't be the way I would use that word

Accidental implies someone did something by mistake, ie without purpose or plan, in the way "on purpose" means someone did something with a purpose or plan

But if you remove the "someone" neither of these terms really apply

Would you say the rock "accidentally" feel to the Earth with the acceleration of gravity

Or the hydrogen molecules "accidentally" combined with the oxygen molecules to form water?

To me that is some what nonsensical. I'm not backing away from the use of the term because I don't like the idea of nature having no guiding force deciding a purpose to everything, far from it as I think such a guiding force doesn't exist and is rather nonsensical when you look at nature. I think people are backing away from the use of the word precisely because there is an inherent assumption of this guiding force, just that the guiding force accidental started evolution going.

Also if accidentally is meant to imply randomness then that doesn't apply to evolution at all, as Jammy I think was pointing out, as evolution is not a random process.
    It just happens to accidentally discover improvements etc. Its not purpose driven, unless you believe in some all encomassing force purposefully driving this natural selection onwards. Saying survival, once again is accidental. The push for survival was an accident, as nothing gave life purpose. The fact that it pushes for survival therefore is once again, accidental.

But you are talking about nature as an agent, just one that is accident prone.

That wouldn't be how most atheists or evolutionists would think of it, in the same way you wouldn't think that the Earth accidentally goes around the Sun. The Earth certainly has no purpose in going around the Sun, but that is because it isn't a "someone", rather than because it just hasn't come up with a purpose yet

I think you misunderstood. I said they back way from the word accident, like you are doing.

Is an accident. Without a purpose, its accidental. Nature etc, does not 'think'. If anything, it can only be instinctive, atheistically speaking. It just happens to accidentally discover improvements etc. Its not purpose driven, unless you believe in some all encomassing force purposefully driving this natural selection onwards. Saying survival, once again is accidental. The push for survival was an accident, as nothing gave life purpose. The fact that it pushes for survival therefore is once again, accidental.

Anyway, I think this is more suited to the evolution thread.

Your use of the word 'accident' is misleading. 'Accident' implies chance and coincidence, and natural selection is the very opposite of chance. Remember that evolution of life is not simply about chance mutation, but rather the selection of specific mutations that give rise to robust and diverse forms of life.

Your use of the word 'accident' is misleading. 'Accident' implies chance and coincidence, and natural selection is the very opposite of chance. Remember that evolution of life is not simply about chance mutation, but rather the selection of specific mutations that give rise to robust and diverse forms of life.

I would think the word 'selection' is whats misleading. Sooner or later it comes down to accidental process, as there has been no purpose, and if there is a purpose, its there by accident. Selection implies a thoughtful process. Anyway, I reckon its for the monster thread.

Perhaps you simply forgot to cite the source, Soul Winner?

Not at all. I deliberately decided not to quote my source because what usually happens when I do (and I always do) is the discussion will get dragged down a side road of ad hominine attacks on the character of the quoted. I already admitted that I wasn't a professional physicist so it would be pretty obvious that they were not my words. The thing is the words make sense to the discussion in question and I thought they fit pretty well, and now this thread has gone completely off topic. Can we get back to the Universe please? What about Boarde and Vilenkin’s comments re the beginning of the universe? And how could it have come from nothing?

I would think the word 'selection' is whats misleading.
    Not really. Selection doesn't imply higher intelligences or purpose

For example a coin counter selects coins based on size. A coin counter is not intelligent, nor does it have a conscious purpose for sorting coins.
    Sooner or later it comes down to accidental process, as there has been no purpose, and if there is a purpose, its there by accident.
    As I tried to explain about that doesn't hold. Something isn't an accident by definition simply because it doesn't do something for a conscious purpose.

• Advertisement

Not really. Selection doesn't imply higher intelligences or purpose

For example a coin counter selects coins based on size. A coin counter is not intelligent, nor does it have a conscious purpose for sorting coins.

Does a coin counter come into existance by accident? Or is it designed with the purpose of sorting coins?
    As I tried to explain about that doesn't hold. Something isn't an accident by definition simply because it doesn't do something for a conscious purpose.

I disagree. Simple really. If something happens by chance or without purpose etc, it is an accidental happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Does a coin counter come into existance by accident? Or is it designed with the purpose of sorting coins?

I disagree. Simple really. If something happens by chance or without purpose etc, it is an accidental happening.

Jimi, think about this for a moment. Even those who don't believe in God believe that there are forces or laws at work that mean things don't really happen by accident.

If a coconut falls from a tree, why does it fall downwards to the ground instead of up to the sky?
    a) God made it fall (intelligent falling)?
    b) It's a pure accident that it falls downwards instead of upwards?
    c) An impersonal force (gravity)?

So I can see how a non-believer treats natural selection as a law or force, such as Gravity, rather than as something that happens by 'accident'.

PDN wrote: »
    Jimi, think about this for a moment. Even those who don't believe in God believe that there are forces or laws at work that mean things don't really happen by accident.

If a coconut falls from a tree, why does it fall downwards to the ground instead of up to the sky?
    a) God made it fall (intelligent falling)?
    b) It's a pure accident that it falls downwards instead of upwards?
    c) An impersonal force (gravity)?

So I can see how a non-believer treats natural selection as a law or force, such as Gravity, rather than as something that happens by 'accident'.

Indeed. As you'll see by my previous posts, what I said was that sooner or later it comes back to accidental happening. I.E. The law itself is accidental.

Like Wicknights Coin counter. Taken in isolation, it just sorts coins. It doesn't think. However, the thought has already gone into designing the device to sort coins. Like I would say, using your example of gravity, it either occured accidentally, or something designed it that way. Gravity in isolation, can be likened to the coin counter. It just happened by accident, or there was some purpose. I've seen it said 'But its not accidental, its what happens when the world spins at such and such and so on'. Then the accident merely shifts further back, to, well it is accident that the world happens to do such and such and so on. Sooner or later it comes down to accidental, or purposeful.

Its one of the biggies for me. Its what gives me 'knowledge', rather than faith that there is or was a creator. Cause and effect. We see the coin counter in isolation, we know it was caused. Even if we don't know who made it, we know it was made and given a purpose. This whole world is an effect. For me, it is merely a matter of finding the cause.

Not at all. I deliberately decided not to quote my source because what usually happens when I do (and I always do) is the discussion will get dragged down a side road of ad hominine attacks on the character of the quoted. I already admitted that I wasn't a professional physicist so it would be pretty obvious that they were not my words. The thing is the words make sense to the discussion in question and I thought they fit pretty well, and now this thread has gone completely off topic. Can we get back to the Universe please? What about Boarde and Vilenkin’s comments re the beginning of the universe? And how could it have come from nothing?

We do not yet have a theory of quantum gravity. (Quantum mechanics is a regime where events are not simply caused by prior events or agents.) So we cannot say we know the nature of the 'beginning' of the universe. We therefore cannot say that God must be the cause of the universe.

Indeed. As you'll see by my previous posts, what I said was that sooner or later it comes back to accidental happening. I.E. The law itself is accidental.

Like Wicknights Coin counter. Taken in isolation, it just sorts coins. It doesn't think. However, the thought has already gone into designing the device to sort coins. Like I would say, using your example of gravity, it either occured accidentally, or something designed it that way. Gravity in isolation, can be likened to the coin counter. It just happened by accident, or there was some purpose. I've seen it said 'But its not accidental, its what happens when the world spins at such and such and so on'. Then the accident merely shifts further back, to, well it is accident that the world happens to do such and such and so on. Sooner or later it comes down to accidental, or purposeful.

Its one of the biggies for me. Its what gives me 'knowledge', rather than faith that there is or was a creator. Cause and effect. We see the coin counter in isolation, we know it was caused. Even if we don't know who made it, we know it was made and given a purpose. This whole world is an effect. For me, it is merely a matter of finding the cause.

The universe is not obliged to conform to your personal ideas of 'accident', 'cause', and 'effect'. You can define 'accidental' any way you like (it's beside the point), but you have not shown that the universe must have been caused by God. Laws, such as General Relativity, reveal the causal structure of the universe. But it makes little sense to say that laws themselves are caused. That's like saying 1+1 = 2 must have a cause, or that God must have a cause.

A very good question. Many forms of sorting device occur naturally. Rivers and oceans, for example, sort and grade minerals very effectively. When you see pebbles of different sizes sorted neatly into strata on a beach, do you think to yourself "ah yes, obviously somebody must have come along and arranged these"?

Is a river "designed with the purpose of sorting pebbles"?

• Advertisement

The universe is not obliged to conform to your personal ideas of 'accident', 'cause', and 'effect'. You can define 'accidental' any way you like (it's beside the point), but you have not shown that the universe must have been caused by God.

Nor do I intend to show its been caused. My observations and views show 'me' its been caused. Where it leads you is of no consequence to that. You may believe its spagetti man, teapots, or that you don't know. It matters little to me. As far as I'm concerned though, Its either been designed, or given purpose, or its an accidental phenomenon. IMO, I can't rationally asses this world as an accident. Its without doubt the work of thought. What you believe about it is of no consequence to that. My view is simple, you either believe its an accident, its purposeful or you're undecided.

A very good question. Many forms of sorting device occur naturally. Rivers and oceans, for example, sort and grade minerals very effectively. When you see pebbles of different sizes sorted neatly into strata on a beach, do you think to yourself "ah yes, obviously somebody must have come along and arranged these"?

No. The Physical laws would show how this occurred. Then the question shifts as to how these physical laws came about. However, if these pebbles were arranged into Mount Rushmore, then yes, i would certainly say that someone has purposely arranged them that way.
    Is a river "designed with the purpose of sorting pebbles"?

As i said previously, somewhere along the line of the past, we come to the question of 'accidental, or purposeful'. I've heard the quip many times ' evolution, or nature, finds a way'. Well, it doesn't. Without a director or programming, it accidentally happens upon a way. It neither looks nor finds. It merely does, accidentally. Sooner or later, as you roll back the time, this question arises. We are one big accident, or we were purposefully programmed or designed etc. if their was never a thought, which takes a being, or a mind etc, then its all accident.

And, Jimitime, what if we were an accident? If when you rolled back the clock to the very first moment, to the beginning, what if it all happened accidentally? Would that really make a difference? I don't see the point of your argument. We can apply the same logic to the idea of a god. Was it created accidentally? What was its cause?

No. However, if these pebbles were arranged into Mount Rushmore, then yes, i would certainly say that something has purposely arranged them that way.

As i said previously, somewhere along the line of the past, we come to the question of 'accidental, or purposeful'.

The point I'm making is that a river 'sorts' pebbles entirely as a side effect of its primary 'purpose' of getting water downhill. In that sense, its rock-sorting abilities are 'accidental' (using your words here, they're not the ones I'd choose). Nonetheless, it results in something that looks remarkably like order. So how can you be certain that all the natural order you see isn't the result of such side-effects? There's really nothing in nature that looks compellingly 'designed'. Quite the opposite.

I always laugh when I hear creationists talking about how nature 'must have' been designed, and how you only have to look at it to see the evidence.

As somebody with a certain amount of design training, I can honestly say that it looks anything but. It's full of elementary examples of the neglect of basic design principles that no self-respecting designer would be happy with, let alone an infallible one. If I was designing a world and came up with some of the so-called 'solutions' we see around us I'd expect to be sent back to the first grade.

As somebody with a certain amount of design training, I can honestly say that it looks anything but. It's full of elementary examples of the neglect of basic design principles that no self-respecting designer would be happy with, let alone an infallible one. If I was designing a world and came up with some of the so-called 'solutions' we see around us I'd expect to be sent back to the first grade.

Well when you do design your own world and I've something tangiable to compare this one too, get back to me.
    I always laugh when I hear creationists talking about how nature 'must have' been designed, and how you only have to look at it to see the evidence..

Then all we are doing is laughing at each other. Maybe one of us will laugh last or none of us will:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement