Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Wigan

Options
  • 10-01-2009 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

It looks like Bent and the Hudd will be fit for this game and with Jenas back from suspension and Defoe eligible to play Harry has a strong side to pick from on Sunday,I presume he will start Pav and Defoe up front, it will be interesting to see how that works out,I hope he gives O hara a start he showed plenty of passion against Burnley the other night.not for the first time this season the 3 points are badly needed, lets hope we get them..COYS..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This is a must win for us. I know Wigan are doing well, but we are in desperate need of points. I just hope to god that Defoe and Pav link up well, though it will probably take a few games before they do. O'Hara will start as well i'd say.

Gomes
    Corluka-Woodgate-Dawson-Bale
    Lennon-Zakora-Modric-O'Hara
    Pav-Defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

agree with your line up, prob the best available at the min.

in desperate need of points and think o hara is suited for this type game

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭RingoSpur

Looking forward to seein to defoe back with us and he has a bit of a habit of scoring on debuts. I reckon it will end 1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Gomes
    Dawson---King---Woodgate
    Corluka
    Bale
    Zokora---Modric----O'Hara
    Defoe
    Pavlyuchenko

Bent
    Bentley
    Huddlestone
    Lennon
    Cesar
    Jenas
    Campbell

That's a fairly strong bench. Interesting starting 11. See how it goes.

Interesting formation. Bale does love to get forward, and having the three centre backs will keep the defense solid with himself and corluka on the attack. Actually, it now seems like King is in CM position, with modric, and corluka is playing centre back. Not really sure whats going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Bright enough start. We're definitely the better team at the moment and O'Hara has already hit some nice passes. Ledley in the middle is interesting and seems to be working quite well at the moment.

I retract my previous statement. We are now crap. Good save by Gomes to keep Heskey out.

wigan look more likey to score in my view.

think a sub of lennon for zokora maybe or anyone for bale. he is having a night mare

Pavlyuchenko seems M.I.A. We need to be more attack minded, Lennon should add that. To many passes back and then losing possession in midfield. Awful shot from Zokora.

Yup, not soo good now. Almost a howler from Gomes, and Bent has come on for a pretty disappointing Pav.

• Advertisement

Thud could add that bit of strength in the middle now. We're being outmuscled at the front.

Well **** that...

Hmmm. Can't say we deserved anything though, second to the ball, slower, and not as physical as Wigan.

The time to get something out of this was the first half hour when we were all over them. Apparently we prefer possession in our own half to actually moving forward with any intent. Would be interested to see what Appiah adds.

Bale was just outmatched by Valencia.

bale was piss poor. i always said he was good but i dont think so anymore. he is sub standard since he signed for spurs.

why was gomez not taken off. he couldnt kick the ball or move freely ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

What a sickner...time to start worrying now i think..

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

Poor loss for spurs there, Taking off Dawson for Jenas was a big mistake and it cost them the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

We could make a few excuses (the combo of Dawson being taken off injured + Gomes' injury gifting them the goal) but in all honesty we simply weren't capable of breaking them down and making proper chances.

It was better than the Burnley match's 1st half, but piss-poor....

We need to make chances and stop giving the ball away so easily with stray passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Depressing game
    Depressing performance
    Depressing result

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

From the sight of the team sheet I knew we were in trouble...

3 f'in centre halves plus Zakora in the middle of the park, you couldn't get further away from creative.

We put ourselves into a dogfight against Wigan and deservedly lost.....

Possibly the worst performance under HR yet, with the Fulham 4-5-1 on Stephen's Day a close second.

With the amount of talent on the bench, the midfield mess-up & the Gomes debacle there goes 90mins I could have spent a bit better...

Role on Pompey!

• Advertisement

Role on Pompey!

disagree,

i am not looking forward to the portsmoth game in the slightest.

was painfull today, when the board went up for 4 mins i couldnt believe it. then they scored.....

it got worse and worse and worse and worse

Harrys response to sky sports:

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,23791,12606_4780794,00.html

plus he says he is not lookiing for any more players?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Really disappointed with everything today.

Can't understand why we went for such a drastic change in formation. Was obviously not working as we had no chances and wigan still had plenty even with our "defensive" set up. Ledley looked slow and cumbersome in the middle, he played there for england once upon a time but that was when he was properly fit, not up to it now. Why sacrifice all that we have and give such respect to Wigan, that game called for 4-4-2, certainly with Lennon starting wide right and O'Hara on the left, Luka and Zokora in the middle. Bale was poor again, I hope he can come good as I thought he would make a great player before that injury last season. As for Gomes if injured as he was he should have gone off, making the 3rd substitution before we we sure on the keeper was also wrong.

All in all a depressing day.

But as a Spurs fan I'm well used to it. We'll go out and stuff Pompey next week and all will be good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Surprised to see Harry slating the underperformers this evening?!

I would of thought he should take some of the flak himself given the crazy formation and Gomez debacle!

Nevertheless, JJ should be brought out and shot!

Think its time for the King to hang up his boots too:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I was surprised HR went for such a defensive formation. I don't think it suited Spurs, they should have had enough quality in the squad to take Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fcuking crap performance. No Balls or will to win. We are right in the mix now, and going by recent performances, we will be relegated.

Gomes - Why the fcuk was he still on the pitch when he could'nt kick a ball.
    Corluka - Decent
    Bale - Poor. Looks like a wimp who is afraid to make tackles. A million miles from the player we thought we had signed.
    Woodgate - Solid as always.
    Dawson - Good, looks a different player under Harry.
    King - Decent, but are we accomodating him at this stage ? Not a midfielder.
    Zokora - Poor
    OHara, Solid, just what you need for a tough away game.
    Modric - Poor
    Pav - Invisible. No service
    Defoe - ran around a bit, but that was about it.

Bent - Ran around a bit but that was about it.
    Lennon - Ran around a bit but that was about it.

Overall, I thought we were shi*e. Created fcuk all. Once again, going by this we will be relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

dont know how harry can blame the players solely this time. He picked a team that included 3 center halfs and ledley and zokora in the middle... what type of creativity was he expecting? simple 4-4-2 formation with lennon and o'hara on the flanks would have done it yesterday, same as 2nd half against burnley.
    we are sh1t at the moment and on the current form we're in it till the last few games.... we need to be out of it by the last one of the season either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Poor performance, we're in real trouble if things don't pick up quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spurs rooster

I think to be fair hr picked a team to combat a very tough inform wigan side. He picked the team to keep heskey and zaki quiet. worked to a point . I think our failing was 2 or 3 players didnt step up to the make to put in a battling performance. bale, zakora and modric. because of this our forwards only got scraps. Hr will sort this problem out you can be rest assured. No need to panic yet. good result against pompey will go along way to getting us up that bloody table. going over to it also. roll on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

I think to be fair hr picked a team to combat a very tough inform wigan side. He picked the team to keep heskey and zaki quiet. worked to a point . I think our failing was 2 or 3 players didnt step up to the make to put in a battling performance. bale, zakora and modric. because of this our forwards only got scraps. Hr will sort this problem out you can be rest assured. No need to panic yet. good result against pompey will go along way to getting us up that bloody table. going over to it also. roll on.

Given that we were facing, in your own words, 'a very tough, in-form Wigan side', why was Huddlestone (Built like a brick ****house) on the bench and Modric on the field????

Strange selection in my view (though could have been worse, he could have put Bentley out as well......) :mad:

Advertisement