Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OMSP and the collapse of Sterling

Options
  • 10-01-2009 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭

I was thinking with the collapse of Sterling's value, it should be possible to buy a car in britain, pay irish vat and vrt and still be up for at least some new cars.

So for a Subaru legacy diesel estate
    irish list price 32795 including Vrt @ 20%
    ex vrt, inc vat 26236
    VRT = 6559

british price, ex VAT £19375
    or 20106 Euros
    plus irish vat @21.5% - 24428
    plus vrt - 30987.79

Gives a difference of 1800 Euros.

now sterling has rallied in the last few days so my rate may not be valid, but I'd reckon sterling will fall back to what we saw over the new year.

NOW
    as we live in a common market, including the whole EU, the revenue ca't only include Irish dealers selling new cars, they have to treat the market as a whole.
    This is where the house of cards starts falling.
    If I can buy a car for 1800 below the irish price, then the omsp is reduced by 1800 - this then reduces the vrt chargable by 360, which reduces the omsp, which reduces the vrt chargable by 72 euros and so on to some less than a euro figure.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there some get out with buying a car that prevents an open market? like the way vat is charged in the country of residence if you bring in a car less than 6 months old

I just picked the subaru cos back in July I compared the british and irish ex tax price and there were within a tenner at the exchange rate then. I'd say there's cars out there that are much cheaper and cars that aren't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Seems easy to make 20% saving as exchange rate ensures pre tax ROI price 20% move than UK. I think Euro would have to move to 75p sterling for both pre tax prices to match...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No, my point is that buying exVat in britain, importing here, paying irish vat and vrt, the cost is less than the irish list price - which I assume is the omsp for vrt purposes.
    But if you can buy and pay the taxes on a NEW car for less than the omsp, then the omsp is wrong, and should be reduced, reducing the vrt amount.

If the vrt amount is reduced, then it is even better to buy a car in britain than here, as it will cost less to buy a car abroad then in Ireland, meaning vrt will need to be changed, politically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

We need to Lobby to get OMSP changed, anyone done this already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd say you'd be banging your head off a brick wall trying to get that changed. The government wont change it as it means they will lose a significant portion of income, something which they havent got a whole lot of at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I'd say you'd be banging your head off a brick wall trying to get that changed. The government wont change it as it means they will lose a significant portion of income, something which they havent got a whole lot of at the minute.

The only way could get to change is via European Courts as would be contrary to the "free" market regarding import/exports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The OMSP's of new cars are set by the distributor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

AFAIK the OMSP is provided to the VRO by the SIMI. The distributor has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Its a crazy system, now the almost parity with Euro Sterling shows what a joke it is. The car industry in Ireland is finished. It is cheaper to buy a brand new car in the UK now and pay full VAT and VRT.

My wife has a C3 and we looked at Citroen C4 picasso new, 5,000 euro difference between here and UK last week after all bills paid

Advertisement