Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Audio From PC To Samsung LCD HDTV, TRIED EVERYTHING !

• 10-01-2009 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

hey, I have my pc set up to my Samsung LE40A656 tv and have no audio, to get video it uses dvi, so i use a hdmi - dvi adapter.
    hdmi-to-dvi.jpg
    This it inputs to the the tv with hdmi, but had no audio so I was told to buy this cable,

1865_1.JPG

that plugs into the back of the pc and into the audio slots on my tv, I STill get no audio, have tried everything!!!! then I was told to get this cable
    e87f_1.JPG

goes into headphone jack on tv, or pc audio input, still no audio , I've tried every setting possible on the pc, Audio works on my normal monitor.

please help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

akenny01 wrote: »
    goes into headphone jack on tv, or pc audio input, still no audio , I've tried every setting possible on the pc, Audio works on my normal monitor.

please help?

The reason the DVI/HDMI connection gives you no sound is that the graphics card outputs graphics. Some cards can be connected to your sound card, but not sure how/if your graphics card can do so.

The headphone jack on TV makes audio go OUT, not in.

You'd need to hook the red/white jacks into the back of the TV (into the DVI IN (HDMI2) ports), and ensure you plug the HDMI into HDMI port 2.

How do you find the LE40A656 aside from that? Think of getting the LE46A656 myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

Ive done this using the first cable, but no luck

the TV is great

it only has 4ms response now, with the newest firmware update, theres a new one soon, its a great tv, I love it :)

That's odd. You're using the same sound port which you used in the monitor you used previous to this one, yeah?

You've also tried plugging it into the ports at the side? Also, can you try plugging the red/white jacks into the "component" red/white ports, and selecting the component input on your TV? Not sure how the TV is set up with the HDMI, but with the current TV, you can select each scart port one by one with the TV. Was wondering have you/can you try this, to check if the sound is coming through, but the TV for whatever reason is not picking up the input automatically?

yup tried all, to no avail,
    Ill try some external speakers if I can get a hold of some

yup tried all, to no avail,
    Ill try some external speakers if I can get a hold of some
    To clarify: you're trying to hook up the TV, so that you can get the computer to output to the TV, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Your TV will expect the audio to come in over the HDMI connection so it won't recognise the audio cable no matter where you plug it in. There are DVI + audio -> HDMI combiners available but they cost a bomb. You can use VGA + PC Audio Input to get AV from the PC, otherwise you're best off getting an amp or some external speakers.

Onikage wrote: »
    Your TV will expect the audio to come in over the HDMI connection so it won't recognise the audio cable no matter where you plug it in.
    If you look at : http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/hdtv/Samsung-LE40A656/rear-connections.jpg you'll see a red/white port with "DVI IN (HDMI 2)" which looks like it should take in the audio.
    Onikage wrote: »
    There are DVI + audio -> HDMI combiners available but they cost a bomb. You can use VGA + PC Audio Input to get AV from the PC, otherwise you're best off getting an amp or some external speakers.
    A maybe cheaper alternative? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16160

that nvidia hdmi -dvi connector I have is worth 50 euros, and I read is supposed to transfer both, I aint came across another adapter

That's handy! In that case, plug the rca cables in the DVI IN (HDMI 2) port, and the HDMI cable in HDMI port 2.

I see in a couple of other forums that people recommend you rename input 2 to "PC". Don't know if this actually does anything but it couldn't hurt :)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1059122

hey, Ive done this loads of times thats the very first cable I got, 3.5mm to rca. I was told to buy that cable, and didnt work :(

• Advertisement

hey, Ive done this loads of times thats the very first cable I got, 3.5mm to rca. I was told to buy that cable, and didnt work :(

I'm going to assume you are using HDMI port 2 although you haven't said as much.

It is possibly a fault with the TV, another user reports a similar problem that was only solved by replacement:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/783842-samsung-le40a559p4f-dvi-hdmi-problem.html

Your other option is to wait for another owner to drop in and verify...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You are taking the right output for the audio from your PC? If you go into Sounds & Audio Devices in your Control Panel you can check to see if the computer is using the correct audio hardware. Just go to the Audio Tab and see what is listed under Audio Playback.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johannyogibear

I had the same problem no sound from Laptop. I used a DVI to hdmi to the tv a sammy LE40A686. Slightly different design to LE40A656 but same spec. I'm using same cable mini-jack to 2RCA. The reasoning I couldn't get sound is that i hadn't put the hdmi in port no. 2. As Onikage has said you haven't stated if your using hdmi port 2 . Then connect your RCA to two sockets to the left of that port. So the ports to use are DVI in(hdmi2) and middle hdmi port. Hope this helps, because can't beat 40" of computer real estate.
    rear-connections.jpg

I had the same problem no sound from Laptop. I used a DVI to hdmi to the tv a sammy LE40A686. Slightly different design to LE40A656 but same spec. I'm using same cable mini-jack to 2RCA. The reasoning I couldn't get sound is that i hadn't put the hdmi in port no. 2. As Onikage has said you haven't stated if your using hdmi port 2 . Then connect your RCA to two sockets to the left of that port. So the ports to use are DVI in(hdmi2) and middle hdmi port. Hope this helps, because can't beat 40" of computer real estate.
    rear-connections.jpg

hi thanks for your reply, this is what I tried first thing :( and no luck ,was there any setting you had to change??

I tried my mates surround sound with my pc and audio gets out, it looks like i need to buy surround sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I use DVI to HDMI for video

And 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm gets me stereo on the tv. PLug it into headphones socket on PC speakers and then into jack beside HDMI port on tv.

My tv matches up sound and video so only the 3.5 IN and HDMI works together, using L and R component wont work unless using the 3 video.

Maybe yours is the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johannyogibear

hi thanks for your reply, this is what I tried first thing :( and no luck ,was there any setting you had to change??

I tried my mates surround sound with my pc and audio gets out, it looks like i need to buy surround sound

No problem. Didn't need extra settings just plug and play. The only difference in my setup to yours is that my cable DVI to HDMI doesn't go through a dvi to hdmi convertor.
    If its a new tv could be an fault and replacement could be on the cards, one thing I will say putting in the RCA cables the connections are very stiff.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    I use DVI to HDMI for video

And 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm gets me stereo on the tv. PLug it into headphones socket on PC speakers and then into jack beside HDMI port on tv.

My tv matches up sound and video so only the 3.5 IN and HDMI works together, using L and R component wont work unless using the 3 video.

Maybe yours is the same?

I used 3.5mm to 2 RCA and works perfect. Have been playing Flash games/Blurays. It shouldn't make a difference but I'm using Dell XPS M1710 laptop

Advertisement