Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plugged an American Ipod dock (120v) into an Irish socket - Busted?

Options
  • 10-01-2009 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I picked up a speaker dock for my Ipod in Boston. Guy in the store assured me it would work in Ireland/UK and even sold me an adapter for the plug shape, so I took his word for it.

Just plugged it in and it won't work. The display lit up initially for about 5 second and then died.
    On closer inspection I notice the back has a sticker saying 120V - 60Hz, 16 W.

Have I just fried the inside by plugging it in and wrecked it in the process?
    Or is it worth my while buying a Voltage converter?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Unless it states two voltages (120/230 V, sometimes ±10 V), then it does not have a switching power supply and so is only suitable for use with a 120 V supply. I don't know if a transformer will work now if it's damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most electronic devices are made for the world market and can handle 100-250 volts 50/60 Hz. See if the Ipod will work on its own. If the dock was bought from a company that has centres in Ireland you could bring it there?
    Do you have a brand name, ID number for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Your best and cheapest bet would be to plug it into the 110V outlet that is probably in your bathroom. If it works then, get a voltage changer.... if not perhaps you could get it exchanged for a new one... ( I know bought in a foreign land may make it more difficult)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I picked up a speaker dock for my Ipod in Boston. Guy in the store assured me it would work in Ireland/UK and even sold me an adapter for the plug shape, so I took his word for it.

Just plugged it in and it won't work. The display lit up initially for about 5 second and then died.
    On closer inspection I notice the back has a sticker saying 120V - 60Hz, 16 W.

Have I just fried the inside by plugging it in and wrecked it in the process?
    Or is it worth my while buying a Voltage converter?

Thoughts would be appreciated.
    If it was from an official apple store I'd write in email to Apple customer service. If you can remember the guys name and the store you were at, all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

To be honest it sounds fried!
    Although the salesman did say to you it would work i would at least try to get in touch with the shop and see what they can do for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Usually there is a 'pop' sound and a bit of smoke when you plug these things in if they are only meant for 110v :D

Advertisement