Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holography...anyone knowledgable about it?

Options
  • 10-01-2009 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

The only reason Im asking....is...

remember when you might have got the toy cards when you were small?...either in the Teenage mutant ninja turtle collectors cards or He-man?..

there were always the odd holographic card, that when you turned them from side to side...leonardo might do a kick..or something to that effect..

Im curious as to how they are created?..does anyone know?.I have a design concept I'd like to use using holographic paper...to be able to put my own images into it to make them "animate"...

can you buy the plastic card which contains the hologram?.....does anyone know if you can incorporate your own design into them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

You need some lasers, I saw it on "How it's made" once :P

http://www.hologram-printing.com/Hologram_Artwork_Design.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

ahhhh man!...thats sooooooo not feesable as to what I wanted done with them....

expensive! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Aha, I've been looking for these for a long time now... Teddi, if you find where to get it done at a 'fair' price, give me a shout!

I've seen a few websites but either they're not what I'm looking for or it requires to take out a loan just to get them done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

What you've seen isn't actually a hologram (A friend of mine is incredibly knowledgable about holography - Is fascinating stuff).

What you have there can be made in Photoshop quite easily - and printed onto the right paper/plastic combo, the plastic is made up of loads of ^ shaped ridges, and the image spliced to match. Afaik, it's quite easy and cheap to buy the plastic. There's an action for Photoshop to get it all spliced up the way you need.

Real holograms need a dark room, holographic plates (Quite similar to photographic plates, except not) a laser, and a space completely devoid of any shakes - A truck driving down the street beside you is enough to ruin the process. Afaik, DIT on Kevin St have a lab deep down in the basement for making holograms.

Advertisement