Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development Studies (MSc/Grad Dip)

Options
  • 10-01-2009 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

........ In UCD, Kimmage or UL !

Anyone done this course?:D

Feedback?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm doing it in DCU. Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Evenescent

dory wrote: »
    I'm doing it in DCU. Does that count?

:D wow i didn't know they did it in DCU - how you finding it ? what you like/dislike etc?

Yup, in DCU it's called MA in Development. I chose it because there is a lot more choice of subjects than the other Universities I looked into.

I absolutely love it. Last semester we had clase on Law and Development, Politics of Development, International Political Economy of Development and I take Spanish and Arabic as well. Arabic is not for credit, no exams etc. Also, once a week someone comes to talk on a topic. Israeli Ambassador came to talk about the situation there for example. No exam there but roll is taken.

This semester we have a choice from around 22 modules, all available on the website. I'll take 2 as I do Spanish, everyone else will take three.

In the modules above that I mentioned I did we studied the different reasons countries would stay poor, why they fail to catch up, are institutions/georgraphy/natural resources etc. to blame? Also talked about the different things tried and tested like Poverty Reduction Strategies.

Have you read any books on it? What do you want to do after? About half the class have experience working in a developing country. I'd seriously recommend at least visiting one before you start the course. Everyone writes about the countries they've been to and the people who haven't seem a bit lost half the time and don't contribute to discussions as much.

Also, between now and September read as much as you can. The headstart will really help. I can give you some recommendations for books if you want. That way you can get them cheap off Amazon but if you need them in a hurry in October you'd have to pay the crazy prices the campus bookstore charges.

I've no idea about UL's course, UCD is more economics based from what I read. Kimmage looked good as well. If you like numbers maybe go with UCD. DCU is more humanities based. It's more about reading and writing than drawing graphs.
    Also, DCU is a cool campus and we have a swimming pool!

dory wrote: »
    Yup, in DCU it's called MA in Development. I chose it because there is a lot more choice of subjects than the other Universities I looked into.

I absolutely love it. Last semester we had clase on Law and Development, Politics of Development, International Political Economy of Development and I take Spanish and Arabic as well. Arabic is not for credit, no exams etc. Also, once a week someone comes to talk on a topic. Israeli Ambassador came to talk about the situation there for example. No exam there but roll is taken.

This semester we have a choice from around 22 modules, all available on the website. I'll take 2 as I do Spanish, everyone else will take three.

In the modules above that I mentioned I did we studied the different reasons countries would stay poor, why they fail to catch up, are institutions/georgraphy/natural resources etc. to blame? Also talked about the different things tried and tested like Poverty Reduction Strategies.

Have you read any books on it? What do you want to do after? About half the class have experience working in a developing country. I'd seriously recommend at least visiting one before you start the course. Everyone writes about the countries they've been to and the people who haven't seem a bit lost half the time and don't contribute to discussions as much.

Also, between now and September read as much as you can. The headstart will really help. I can give you some recommendations for books if you want. That way you can get them cheap off Amazon but if you need them in a hurry in October you'd have to pay the crazy prices the campus bookstore charges.

I've no idea about UL's course, UCD is more economics based from what I read. Kimmage looked good as well. If you like numbers maybe go with UCD. DCU is more humanities based. It's more about reading and writing than drawing graphs.
    Also, DCU is a cool campus and we have a swimming pool!

Thank You so much for this.

Shall PM you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Dunno if you're in college at the moment or whether you're working, but if you're thinking of going into the development sector I'd advise you to get as much experience as you can before starting the masters. Either volunteer abroad or volunteer in an NGO in Ireland (Oxfam, MSF, Concern, Amnesty, etc, etc.), or preferably both! If you're thinking of going on to work in the Development sector (not as an academic that is) then you're going to need that experience after you finish your MA. Competition for places in NGOs and orgs. like the UN is very intense (especially for the good/interesting jobs!), and a lot of the applicants are going to be very well qualified for the positions, so any opportunity you have to add to your CV now I'd really, really, really recommend taking.

I'd also advise you to do your MA in another country if it's at all financially possible. That has nothing to do with the quality of the courses, but employment options are a little limited here compared to places like London, New York, Brussels because there just aren't as many large NGOs/Government organisations in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I work for one of the NGOs mentioned up there and second what the poster above me said. Experience is essentially what differentiates between people who have degrees, especially in the development field. If you're serious about development then consider the unpaid work an investment ;) Paid opportunities in Irish offices do come up quite often aswell, it's a case of being in the right place at the right time. Where I work has a very high turnover of paid staff (I'm leaving myself soon!) and there's always opportunities to get your foot in the door.

The UL course does look really interesting; I thought about it for a while when I was applying for postgrad. Irish Aid run a scholarship programme that that course qualifies for (but, as like jobs at the UN, competition is crazy!).

If you're hoping to work/intern while you're doing the course Dublin might be a better option.

Dunno if you're in college at the moment or .........................

Hi Cannibal - Thanks for the reply.
    Working at the moment yes- have no experience unfortunately.
    i will be doing it the opposite way around it seems.
    i headed off travelling after college and presently volunteering abroad aint an option for me.
    I have been in touch with a course director in one of the colleges I mentioned previously - I know that having the 2.1 will stand to me and of course having experience would be beneficial but fingers crossed I can get in to do this without it, which a lot of people can.
    then after college head off and volunteer ... the only way for me at present :(

I work for one of the NGOs mentioned up there and second what the poster above me said. Experience is essentially what differentiates between people who have degrees, especially in the development field. .

Hi Meanie,
    Thanks for your Response. Totally see where you are coming from.Have contacted a couple of NGO's over past while and am getting the ball rolling to get some sort of background here.I have the academic background and subject interest but lacking in volunteer work. All i have as late is care work in a nursing home.

Do you have any recommendations, hints etc to try get my foot in the door here?

I am applying to do my Masters for definite this year...

Keep an eye on Activelink. Most organisations post there when they need volunteers (in Ireland), so it's worth checking regularly enough. It's also worth checking any jobs posted, so you can see what kind of experience they look for.

I would really recommend trying to volunteer in an NGO in Ireland, even if it's only four or so hours a week for two or three months. It is dependant on where/how you want to work (which your masters will probably help you decide) but normally you'll need to do an unpaid internship after your masters. Competition can be pretty fierce, especially in Ireland where there is a limited amount of places and lots of candidates, and most of the applicants will have masters, so anything you can do now to help you later is probably worth doing.

Also, I've been volunteering for an NGO for six or so months and it's been a great general experience. The people have been brilliant, it's helped me narrow down exactly what area I want to work in and it also convinced me that it's the job I really want to do. Which are all good things really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Rossi-Radar

Hi im considering doing a Developing studies course too. Thankyou all for the advice as i was not sure whether or not to take the year out and travel to some third world countries but you have just made my mind up ;) Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Evenescent wrote: »
    Hi Meanie,
    Thanks for your Response. Totally see where you are coming from.Have contacted a couple of NGO's over past while and am getting the ball rolling to get some sort of background here.I have the academic background and subject interest but lacking in volunteer work. All i have as late is care work in a nursing home.

Do you have any recommendations, hints etc to try get my foot in the door here?

I am applying to do my Masters for definite this year...

Just in general keep an eye on the websites of the NGOs you're interested in. I wouldn't be too put off by your lack of volunteer experience, we all have to start somewhere and I didn't have any before I started with my current employer (that said though they're always making me do fundraising and concert stuff now lol). Even if you get into the offices as a volunteer it's a start right? After your postgrad you could look at the UNV programme run by Irish Aid. In the meantime Comhlamh run a one-day course on working in developing countries which is also worth a look.

I'm being posted overseas in June so there'll be a vacancy in my office!

PS: Are you going to the Postgrad Fair at UL on 11/2? I'll be there with bells on... :cool:

I'm being posted overseas in June so there'll be a vacancy in my office!

Do you mind me asking what kind of role you'll have overseas? You don't have to be too specific, I know people like to be cryptic on this thing! But my aim eventually is to work overseas, but every job I look for either needs loads of experience or very specific skills, like a water/sanitation qualification. I'm wondering if there's any jobs out there for someone with a humanities degree.

I'll drop you a PM about it when I have more time tommorrow. Can't say too much lol...I enjoy my relative anonymity here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 velleity

I'm currently comleted an MSc in Development from the University of Amsterdam, and I would really recommend it. It's a fantastic course, though very intensive.

For me, what made it stand out above the Irish development MScs was that you have to do three months field work in a developing country for your dissertation. They help you organise this, and offer placements and a grant. The placements cover a huge range of subjects and countries.

I spent time in sub-Saharan Africa studying acces to clean water. I had a wonderful experience doing it. It's difficult at times, but I don't really understand how anyone can study and work in development if they haven't spent time in a developing country. I think the fieldwork experience will definitely help me with the job hunt when I begin, expecially as there is a lot of competition for places.

Other great things about it are that as it's an international masters, I've made friends from around the world (and got places to stay in many cities) and Amsterdam is a wonderful city to live in, with lots going on. It's also cheaper then Dublin.

It's a big investment, but I would definitely consider it if you want to study development. And if Amsterdam doesn't appeal to you, I would suggest looking outside Ireland anyway, because there are fantastic courses out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 tallly

Hiya Velleity, what college did you do that with? ? I'm considering doing a MA in development next year and looking abroad due to the inflated course fees in Ireland. Do you know the closing dates for applications? Also, is the competition fierce? I've only got a 2:2 in sociological and political studies from NUIG. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

tallly wrote: »
    Hiya Velleity, what college did you do that with? ? I'm considering doing a MA in development next year and looking abroad due to the inflated course fees in Ireland. Do you know the closing dates for applications? Also, is the competition fierce? I've only got a 2:2 in sociological and political studies from NUIG. Thanks

Hi Tally. I have the same degree result from same college as you but in 2003. Am now thinking of doing MA in dev as well.

Please let me know what you decide to do or if you come across any interesting courses.

Thanks.

tallly wrote:

University of Amsterdam, they stopped taking applications on the 1st but they're still taking ones for a Development Msc that starts in February (I think).

Others = Kimmage, DCU, UCD and UL. Kimmage doesn't have any requirement other than a degree afaik, and the entrance requirement for the graduate Dip in UCD might be lower, but I'm not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

Sorry for dredging this up over a year later but I suppose it's better than starting a new thread (fingers crossed).

I have a 2:1 in International Development & Food Policy and want to apply to do the MA in Development in DCU next year. Can anyone talk through the pros and cons of this course? Can anyone who has completed it give me an idea of what they are doing now and the opportunities this course has given them?

What interests me is that, as someone else has pointed out, it's more humanities based than number crunching, which was never my strong suite.

First thing you need to understand is that you're going to be coming into a course in which you will probably be the only person with any idea of development policy. You'll be in a class with people with history degrees, French degrees etc. so you really will be starting from scratch. Two people in my class had degrees in International Relations and they seemed very bored.

You have to think what jobs you want after. There really isn't such a thing as a generic development job. The generic jobs are admin and as such they'd probably tell you you are overqualified for them. You'd have to get very lucky to get a generic job these days. Personally if I were you I'd specialize somewhat in something. Educational Development, Nutrition and Development whatever you're into. It was my undergrad in a totally different area together with my masters in Development that qualified me for my current job.
    But don't stray too far for your masters because most jobs adverts say masters in Social Sciences, Development, Int. Relations or related area.

Why not look at job adverts and see what they require? Hard thing here is that they might say masters in development and 5 years exp. So how to get that experience? You have to have some skill they'll need.

Pardon the waffle. If you want to go into policy research or academia ignore everything I said here and do the MA.

Lastly, as for job prospects. I know from my class that those who did not speak foreign languages and didn't spend time volunteering and home and/or abroad are now unemployed. You have to be VERY proactive to get a job here. Took me months of research to get my first job with UNICEF. And I told my classmates about the opportunity and they wouldn't as the money was crap. :rolleyes:

Also, as a side note. If I were to do it again I would pick UCD for it. They're the main place for Development. Or Kimmage. I really got the feeling in DCU that the course was just created as a moneyspinner. The lecturers were International Relations lecturers who seemed not too happy to be doing development. I heard all great reviews from UCD/Kimmage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

Thanks for the comprehensive response, you've given me a lot of food for thought and I'll definitely be doing a lot of thinking between now and application time.

I'm still hazy on what exactly (4 years worth of education and some field experience and I still don't know what I want:) ) I want from a career so I guess I'll have to put even more thought into what area I see myself in in years to come. Come what may Dublin is the most practical option for study for me at this juncture, so I suspect it will be DCU/Kimmage/UCD that I opt for.

Your advice was really helpful, thanks a million.

Advertisement