Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time the polish went home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Dob74 wrote: »
    Most people claiming refugee status are economic immigrants and are more or less taking the piss out of the law. I dont blame them, if I could go to nigeria and get a free house and about 10 times my daily wage i would do it to.
    Who do I see about getting my free house? My wife's non-Irish so I presume I'm entitled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

djpbarry wrote: »
    Who do I see about getting my free house? My wife's non-Irish so I presume I'm entitled?

Get in line buddy, my wife and I are both non-Irish so you're way at the back of the queue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I beat you guys, I can get pregnant if it helps in getting your free house!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Mena wrote: »
    Get in line buddy, my wife and I are both non-Irish so you're way at the back of the queue!
    What if I get her knocked up (touch wood!)? Will that speed up my application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

seanybiker wrote: »
    Since a load of em worked in the building trade I would count that as contributing to the economy. Its not their fault we have a government who couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.
    If we send them back why dont we take back all the Irish all over the world who are living in places illegally. While we are at it sure we may aswell take back all the
    Descendants of Irish people who legged it during the famine.

Kidnapping the US president elect is harder than you'd think...

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

O'Morris wrote: »
    I've made no secret of my underlying agenda. I want Ireland to still be an ethnically Irish country in a hundred years from now. That doesn't mean that I define ethnicity in racial terms or that I want us to discriminate against Irish people of non-Irish ancestry. I want all Irish citizens to be treated equally.

How about Poles who like Ireland and think about staying there in long term?
    How about their kids? Will you treat them as "ethnicly" Irish?
    They will go to Irish schools, they will have Irish friends, may speak Gaelic and so on.
    Would you let your daughter to marry one of them?
    Or just 'cose his surname is Lesniewski or something and he like to eat bigos from time to time you will close your daughter in the closet?

Well if this particular cultural background helps in getting your free house...

• Advertisement

So where exactly do we apply?...

O'Morris wrote: »
    They are already doing the same thing for Irish people going there. The Irish need to have a visa and a work permit in order to work in either the US or Australia. I think we should adopt the same policy in this country.

You can adopt that policy towards non-EU nationals. Freedom of movement of goods and people are one of the basic laws of EU.
    True that only Ireland, UK and Sweden open their labour markets immediately. Other countries negotiated 2 or 5 years period before implementing all the freedoms towards new EU countries.
    Then was time to rise opposition to immigration. Now it is like talking about history. There is not much you can do legally. You can of course encourage people to go back, fund tickets for some of them but you can't force anyone.

As far as I know all countries except Germany and Austria opened their labour markets for Poles by now.
    And believe me, Ireland is no dream destination any more. According to research among people thinking about emigration in Poland, Netherlands and Norway are now very high on list of laces to go. (Norway is not part ok EU but they decide they need workers, the same was true about Iceland, and I think Switzerland is thinking about the same if they didn't drop restriction yet)

We have TV and newspapers in Poland (I know, hard to believe) and every child knows you have serious recession, so Ireland is last place to go now. Don't worry about mass migration. No one is coming ;)

About migration in first place.
    You needed people to do the jobs, we were happy to work. As simple as that. Now people are loosing jobs and those who came to Ireland just for money will come back home. But there is group of people who like their new home and they will stay and integrate with society (if they not integrated yet).
    I mean as long as someone like you won't decide to kick them out. It would hurt only those who care about Ireland and want to stay there.
    About stealing jobs.
    A lot of jobs were actually saved. Employers who couldn't find affordable work force would move they factories overseas much earlier.
    Dell would be gone few years ago were there no immigrants from Eastern Europe.
    By the way many people in Poland are not happy at all about Dell coming to our country. We understand they'll be gone to Ukraine or someone else in few years.
    Someone mentioned above that multinational companies employ no more than 100-200k people.
    It is a lot in such small country. Those are only directly employed by them. There is many more contractors and suppliers which are Irish.

By the way do you want to kick Brits out as well? How about Spanish or Italians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mr. G.

An interesting piece of research:

Borders and Migration Bill threatens the UK’s economic recovery:

http://www.ippr.org.uk/pressreleases/?id=3346

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Geogregor wrote: »
    I mean as long as someone like you won't decide to kick them out

Not in a million years.
    By the way do you want to kick Brits out as well? How about Spanish or Italians?

He might want me kicked out as well, depending on his opinion of a member of the same gene-pool having dual Irish/British nationality.

If he can send me a substantial sum of money, I'll promise to leave on receipt.

Will he still be in the EU on his own?

What is the procedure to get Irish citizenship? I would like to compare it with UK.

What is the procedure to get Irish citizenship? I would like to compare it with UK.

Some fools have been known to pay for it.

• Advertisement

In his position as President, Taoiseach, EU commissioner and general public, I'm sure that he would discuss the ins and outs with himself before arriving at his final decision in the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

As far as this Mickey Mouse country is concerned you should be happy for every bit of foreign influence you can get.
    Coming from a country that doesn't save money by putting cancer patients on a waiting list that is one year longer than their survival chances without treatment, I can only say that you REALLY haven't got a clue here.
    The government is made up of laughable muppets whose only discernible talent was pull to get into the party.
    Liars, thieves, conmen, morons and at best chancers.
    My advise: Vote YES to Lisbon II, anything that takes power away from the idiots that run this pathetic excuse of a country can only be good.
    And remember: It's not all that long ago since the Irish read signs that said:
    "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish"
    And even I think that goes to far, black people are very nice and I also quite like dogs.

As far as this Mickey Mouse country is concerned you should be happy for every bit of foreign influence you can get.
    Coming from a country that doesn't save money by putting cancer patients on a waiting list that is one year longer than their survival chances without treatment, I can only say that you REALLY haven't got a clue here.
    The government is made up of laughable muppets whose only discernible talent was pull to get into the party.
    Liars, thieves, conmen, morons and at best chancers.
    My advise: Vote YES to Lisbon II, anything that takes power away from the idiots that run this pathetic excuse of a country can only be good.
    And remember: It's not all that long ago since the Irish read signs that said:
    "No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish"
    And even I think that goes to far, black people are very nice and I also quite like dogs.

I'd hazard a guess and say that you're not German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

5 years legal residence (not as a student). Pop in some forms, wait 3 years and depending on the mood of the DoJ, viola, you're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 HubertW

I am from Poland, have read this thread and have some thoughts ...
    first of all, Poland is not an Eastern Europe, it is in Middle Europe ;)
    next- most of us appreciate fact that we can work in this country and live a better life than in Poland which isn't as rich as Ireland (yet:)) We try to do our's jobs good, be friendly and nice such as many of you are nice to us. also it's a fact that many of people who came from Poland are not the best educated and don't make the top of Polish society(not even the middle class).
    Most of us will go back- we are buying houses in Poland or saving to buy them. We will come back when the situation in our cities will be better, but we came here because we were needed - I was found in Poland by an Irish employer.
    yes, I know, we have faults but we are different from you
    and yes - we have beautiful women :)
    Hope to spend nice time in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

HubertW wrote: »
    next- most of us appreciate fact that we can work in this country and live a better life than in Poland which isn't as rich as Ireland (yet:)) We try to do our's jobs good, be friendly and nice such as many of you are nice to us. also it's a fact that many of people who came from Poland are not the best educated and don't make the top of Polish society(not even the middle class).
    Most of us will go back- we are buying houses in Poland or saving to buy them. We will come back when the situation in our cities will be better, but we came here because we were needed - I was found in Poland by an Irish employer.

Welcome to Ireland and to Boards.ie HubertW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    Not to mention that only Ireland, Britain and Sweden opened up their employment markets to nations like Poland.
    Since when?

As I know Poles are free to work and travel everywhere in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Indeed! It's perfect geographical center of Europe. I read the same few weeks back. Although people call it east because they still use old political definitions.

next- most of us appreciate fact that we can work in this country and live a better life than in Poland which isn't as rich as Ireland (yet:))
    Depend on what do you consider as "better life". I know several Irish who moved to Poland for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Indeed! It's perfect geographical center of Europe. I read the same few weeks back. Although people call it east because they still use old political definitions.

Depend on what do you consider as "better life". I know several Irish who moved to Poland for life.

well for me the perfect life is in west of ireland, others might not like this(rain and stuff) but hey its just me.

different opinions and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

Brilliant post. thanks for the insight.

be a bit like spanish basing their opinion on all irish people by seeing those idiot irish 'gangster' who move to soutern spain.

im not trying to be all ''wee lets run in green fields irish and polish hand and hang singing songs' but the polish ive worked with in shops have been really interesting and really fun. i was a bit young so could never really be proper friends with them but i always had good laugh in work.:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement