Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time the polish went home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is one good thing about this thread: the number of people who oppose xenophobia is reassuring.

Perhaps if we rounded up the xenophobes and sent them to Poland, we might make Ireland a better place (but we would owe a massive apology to Poland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

This is one bilious thread.

The country is barely over a decade out of the previous sh*theap it was in and already some of these very forgetful nouveaux-riches 'New Irelanders' have turned into spoilt and spiteful xenophobes. Eastern & Baltic Europeans are part of the success of this country's purple period. Not the cause of its demise.

Economic migration is not a new phenomenon. It has been around way before the EEC/EU ever came into existance. In fact, I'd say its a safe bet that 80% or more of the monocular spiters of any Eastern or Baltic Europeans having the gall to go earn some money abroad have either done the very same themselves or have immediate family who have done so.

If somebody pays tax in this country, they have contributed to the country. Remember that. Its not their fault if you're mortgaged to the neck, have an extra car loan, more than one credit card and need money to put Sorcha-Eilís and Pearse-Oisín into a f**king Irish-speaking school.

Bitter, jealous, hypocrites. :rolleyes:

In fairness, I believe other than the op there was only one other poster who was spouting nonsense about the polish. Everyone else is in agreement that the Poles have made a good contribution to the country and have nothing to do with the problems it currently faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Pino76

I come from Czech republic and I've been in Ireland nearly for 3 years. In fact, irish think that I'm polish for my polish-like accent and features perhaps.. I just want to say that it is a real pleasure to live here on this beautiful island. Not only for good irish economy but mainly for living among irish people. If I would read any czech forum with a threads like this, 99% of czechs would complain about immigrants from Ukraine, Russia, Vietnam, China etc. living in our country and if they could they would send them all back home. Unfortunately, Czechs are NOT as friendly to foreigners as you are. Shame on us.. But I believe we will be able to learn a lot from you..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Pino76 wrote: »
    I come from Czech republic and I've been in Ireland nearly for 3 years. In fact, irish think that I'm polish for my polish-like accent and features perhaps.. I just want to say that it is a real pleasure to live here on this beautiful island. Not only for good irish economy but mainly for living among irish people. If I would read any czech forum with a threads like this, 99% of czechs would complain about immigrants from Ukraine, Russia, Vietnam, China etc. living in our country and if they could they would send them all back home. Unfortunately, Czechs are NOT as friendly to foreigners as you are. Shame on us.. But I believe we will be able to learn a lot from you..

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

During my many visits to The Czech Republic, everyone whom I've met likes me a lot, mainly due to my natural charm. Even the Vietnamese and the Roma laugh when they see me coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Tell ya what, OP.....we'll send them ALL home!

But in return we'll have to sign an agreement to bring home all the illegal Irish in America and probably all our emigrants there, and in the UK, and in Australia, and in Europe, and.....

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Maybe we should be trying to tap into the knowledge of the Poles that are here. There are quite a few who came over here well educated and with good English. I've noticed Poles setting up their own businesses - perhaps we should avail of the entrepreneurial spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

I have been to the Czech rep a few times , Czechs come across to be fairly friendly people, generally. A lot nicer than the Swiss or Austrians, that's for sure.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    During my many visits to The Czech Republic, everyone whom I've met likes me a lot, mainly due to my natural charm. Even the Vietnamese and the Roma laugh when they see me coming.

Ireland and its people are actually quite popular in Czech republic for their good music (both traditional and rock&pop), guinness :-) and their typical culture. On the other hand many others are being criticized by czechs a lot.. For almost anything :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dragous wrote: »
    Is it time the polish went home. all they've done is taken their wages and spent them at home. they've contributed nothing to the economy.
    Yes, Poles working in Ireland don't pay any rent here and don't buy any food and exist largely by drinking rainwater.

Of course had they pissed all their earnings up a wall like the Irish did in London, I'm sure you'd be calling them fine people altogether.

Opinions like yours make me sick and ashamed to be Irish on many levels.

• Advertisement

Ireland and its people are actually quite popular in Czech republic for their good music (both traditional and rock&pop), guinness :-) and their typical culture. On the other hand many others are being criticized by czechs a lot.. For almost anything :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

A couple of polish lads were sacked form were i work or should i say let go due to things slowing down

The next freakin week they were back i hadnt a clue nor did i care how but i was surprised to say the least

Found out they had offered the three of them to work for one mans wage :eek:

Made me sick as a dog !!!!!

They lasted a couple of days needless to say the workforce were ****ed off about this development

its a two-sided coin with the poles and other foreigners they have benifits and problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 kingofglantine

Yes, Poles working in Ireland don't pay any rent here and don't buy any food and exist largely by drinking rainwater.

Of course had they pissed all their earnings up a wall like the Irish did in London, I'm sure you'd be calling them fine people altogether.

Opinions like yours make me sick and ashamed to be Irish on many levels.

I hope you realise that a HUGE amount of them shop in thier own polish shops which have been set up here by poles, selling am, polish products...
    Yes they have been taking money out of our economy and have been putting as little as possible back in..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hope you realise that a HUGE amount of them shop in thier own polish shops which have been set up here by poles, selling am, polish products...
    Yes they have been taking money out of our economy and have been putting as little as possible back in..

Perhaps they didn't want to pay for the over-priced Polish range that the local "jumping on the bandwagon" supermarkets were selling.

The Poles aren't the only ones visiting the Polski Sklep - even the natives are getting their wallets out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

They pay taxes as well don't they?

I cannot believe you went to effort to sign an account up to post that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Found out they had offered the three of them to work for one mans wage :eek:

You don't say what the job is but if there are 3 working for below the minimum wage the employer should be reported.

I assume that you or one of your work colleagues did report this situation because if you didn't then there is no point giving out about it.

Perhaps they didn't want to pay for the over-priced Polish range that the local "jumping on the bandwagon" supermarkets were selling.

The Poles aren't the only ones visiting the Polski Sklep - even the natives are getting their wallets out.

Just like the overpriced dole, child benefit etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes, shame on them, paying VAT and buying from Irish registered businesses!

Not only do they have the cheek to come here and steal our jobs, but they have the bald cheek to set up businesses too and pay corporation tax as well!

Jaysus, the delicious ironing is mounting up by the yard in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 patchquinn

So what you are saying is they are coming here and setting up businesses that pay rents, rates and taxes (both VAT and PAYE)! The enterprising economically contributing bastards....
    and to top it off some of them according to annfrank (sorry I mean luckyfrank, freudin slip there can't think why I was thinking of someone persecuted by intolerance..anyway...) according to luckyfranco some of 'em are willing to work for the kind of wages that won't send multi-nationals off to the kinda nasty little countries that offer affordable cost of living and wages for low skilled workers that make financial sense contributing to GDP and over all prosperity..... where are Dell off to again....?
    Its east to blame others but as the saying goes "I think you'll find its a bit more complicated than that"...

(I only logged on to find a cheap surfboard....but that stuff sickens my.....)

gandalf wrote: »

I cannot believe you went to effort to sign an account up to post that :rolleyes:

What the f**k are you talking about??????? This a/c has been signed how long?????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I love Irish people.

Mistakes of political figures + greed of multinationals and financial instituions= send the feckin' foreigners home.

Working people are working people, if you're concerned about 'tax robbers' or the sort, look a little closer to home. As for sending money home, what a bunch of greedy feckers eh? Nodoy remembers the parcels from America then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Guillaume

gandalf wrote: »

Agree with that. However, did not some Irish owner or Irish entrepreneur did profit of them ,while they were here ??????? Farmers, restaurateurs, and so on ? What about "Irish ferries" who sacked Irish workers in order to fill polish people with less wages ?
    The Irish society is really ill. Ill of greediness. Ill of i-want-money-, ill of materialism... The Irish society completely forgot the faith of their father, the struggle of their fathers, and just wanted to forget it and exploit more foreign people in order to put more money in their pocket. "yes lets hire polish people, after all they do not cost much...." - oh well, i forgot, the Irish are all over the world and immigrant people indeed... in USA, Australia and UK of course. No need for an Irish to criticise immigration though.
    Regarding those Irish profiteers, they had their rewards. No, it is time for them to ask for mercy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Imagine you are a college student and you are looking for a job, any job!
    Any minimum wage job will do for the summer, it might be a waiter/waitress, barman or shop assistant.

Suppose you have years of experience and ask for more then minimum wage. You won't get it as there will be thousands of immigrants willing to work for less.

What if you have a minimum wage job and in a team of 17 you're the only Irish person there. I've been there, it's lonely. :(

What if you want to get cheap rental accommodation. So decent accommodation at a fair price but you are in Galway and you find thousands of immigrants every summer willing to drive the rent upwards. Are you glad and certain that immigration was a fantastic thing for Ireland?

I dunno, but all I'll say is it's easy to sit back in a safe and secure (if there is such a thing!) job and proclaim that immigration was fantastic for Ireland.
    If you have few skills but a hard worker and hoping for more then minimum wage and hopefully cheap accommodation, then sorry Ireland isn't the place for you!

The landlord classes, employers and our elite will brand you a xenophobe if you dare open your mouth to ask why we did what we did when other countries in the EU didn't.

*awaits the flaming from people who never struggled for a job in their lives*

patchquinn wrote: »
    So what you are saying is they are coming here and setting up businesses that pay rents, rates and taxes (both VAT and PAYE)! The enterprising economically contributing bastards....
    and to top it off some of them according to annfrank (sorry I mean luckyfrank, freudin slip there can't think why I was thinking of someone persecuted by intolerance..anyway...) according to luckyfranco some of 'em are willing to work for the kind of wages that won't send multi-nationals off to the kinda nasty little countries that offer affordable cost of living and wages for low skilled workers that make financial sense contributing to GDP and over all prosperity..... where are Dell off to again....?
    Its east to blame others but as the saying goes "I think you'll find its a bit more complicated than that"...

(I only logged on to find a cheap surfboard....but that stuff sickens my.....)

Should the thread be about the poles, etc or about how FF have failed us (please, I don't want to get started)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

To answer the OP - my opinion is a firm "no".

But there is one issue that bugs me for a lot of foreigners here - not necessarily Polish, but some nationalities.

If I wanted to go abroad - say Spain - to live and work, I would need to pay for my own Spanish languages.

Ireland, however, has all of us paying extra taxes to pay for English teachers and extra assistance, etc.

Not being racist or anything, just wondering why there's a type of discrimination against us in that we'd have to pay for our education, while those coming here don't.

Beyond that, fair play to them; as I said above, we Irish did it for ages and built half of America while illegally there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Imagine you are a college student and you are looking for a job, any job!
    Any minimum wage job will do for the summer, it might be a waiter/waitress, barman or shop assistant.

I know what thats like, because I'm a student who works in a bar. I don't enjoy it, but its a neccesary evil and the rest.

In our workforce, we have half a dozen Polish lads or so. On a quiet night, I could be the only Irish lad on the floor/in the bar whatever else. I've never felt theres a secret society thing going on, and we all get on just fine. They're workers, simple as.

If you've a problem with mass immigration, take it to the greedy Brussels types who began the race to the bottom. If you're wondering why theres a precarious working class in the first place (i.e people in jobs on low-income with next to no long-term safety) you have to look beyond the people doing them jobs, regardless of their nationality.

To be honest, I understand the angle you're coming at it from. In fact, I think you more or less get it spot on when you mention the "The landlord classes, employers and our elite..", because thats where the problem rests.

How many people in boardrooms are losing their jobs? They protect their interests, and so we (as in workers, esp. low wage workers.) should protect ours, regardless of nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Fairly despicable thread to be honest.

People at the wrong end the economic downturn, guys who are laid off, cant get work - theres going to be worry, frustration, even anger. Its going to be tough for the next few years, no doubt.

But this turning on foreigners is fairly ****ing shameful. As already pointed out, foreign workers werent the ones who sleepwalked the economy into brickwall. They were [ in some cases ] the ones doing jobs no one else would do, and in other cases providing vitally needed skills and experience.

No one is owed anything just because theyre Irish. Its a global economy. If someone else can do a better job than you, at a better price, then they will and you wont. That is just inescapable. If the OP went was offered two prices by two plumbers, both of whom for the sake of argument were equally capable and one quoted 3000 Euro and the other quoted 2000 Euro, which one is he going to go with? The major problem the Irish economy has it that it has lost competiveness - we arent going to regain it by going protectionist and subsidising inefficient and overly expensive industry.

There is absolutely zero legal basis for mass deportations of EU nationals so give up that little pipe dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Irish people are being made unemployed by the tens of thousands yet we have thousands of immigrants arriving every day, people are getting very angry over this, its the single bigest issue in this country right now and yet not one T.D will speak out, the time is now rype for a new political party to form in Ireland that advocates the deportation of all illegal immigrants and limiting social welfare benifits to immigrants to a max of 6 months. This is our country, Irish jobs for Irish people first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There must be something wrong as I agree with Sand :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement