Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time the polish went home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

O'Morris wrote: »
    That's good news then as it might make it easier for the people who are out of work in this country to get back into employment.

The figure of 1,300 Poles leaving each week is not really of much use on its own as we would need to subtract the number of people entering the country to arrive at the net difference. It's unlikely that there more Poles entering the country than are leaving but it would interesting to find out if the latter is significantly higher than the former.

Do you know how many Poles and other non-nationals are expected to enter the country this year?

I thought I'd answered that question for you on another thread. Maybe it was someone else.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Irish people are being made unemployed by the tens of thousands yet we have thousands of immigrants arriving every day, people are getting very angry over this, its the single bigest issue in this country right now and yet not one T.D will speak out, the time is now rype for a new political party to form in Ireland that advocates the deportation of all illegal immigrants and limiting social welfare benifits to immigrants to a max of 6 months. This is our country, Irish jobs for Irish people first.

We are in the EU. EU citizens have as much right as us to seek employment here. Its multinationals who provide most of the employment here, should we kick them out as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

Irish people are being made unemployed by the tens of thousands yet we have thousands of immigrants arriving every day, people are getting very angry over this, its the single bigest issue in this country right now and yet not one T.D will speak out, the time is now rype for a new political party to form in Ireland that advocates the deportation of all illegal immigrants and limiting social welfare benifits to immigrants to a max of 6 months. This is our country, Irish jobs for Irish people first.

Sieg Heil !

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Dragous wrote: »
    Is it time the polish went home. all they've done is taken their wages and spent them at home. they've contributed nothing to the economy. And they are robbing our social welfare scheme. there are a few working with me here in limerick part time and they say that they won't leave now that dell has left as they can work a few hours here and then draw the dole. I don't mean to offend anyone with this thread. has the problem not been that ireland was too relaxed with out migration laws as enforced by the eu

This is why I support euthanasia... U r &^%$ for blaming Polish! This is so poor...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 patchquinn

mikemac wrote: »
    Imagine you are a college student and you are looking for a job, any job...Suppose you have years of experience...
    What if you have a minimum wage job and in a team of 17 you're the only Irish person there. I've been there, it's lonely :(...

I've been there.... as an irish person in europe and i can tell you its a hell of a lot lonlier when you leave work and you are still out numbered and when you have to put up with racist intolerance and bigoted misguidance about your qualifications and abilities simply because you have an accent.... but thankfully I didn't hear much of that...but what little I did was always unfair and hurt...
    I have been there because I took adavantage of opportunities elsewhere and got up off my ass to follow them. it wasn't ideal and it wasn't easy but the advantages outweighed the cons....i was able to take advantage because ireland had signed up to an agreement with a community that said workers could travel freely and be treated equally because this provided economic benefits far beyond wages.... I travelled to a country that had a shortage of the skill I provided and I was rewarded... for it I was able to do this because some policy makers saw the bigger picture...
    btw Liam I got free language lessons there too... and it was a right wing coalition government that introduced it so that foreign natinals would integrate, the people who voted for that govenement switched between complaining foreigners couldn't speak the language and that they werent been forced to learn it or that taxpeyers were paying for language lessons whenever it suited them ... to my knowledge Germany, Austria, france and england all give free language lessons to immigrants.... maybe spain can't afford to because from the few spanish people I knew abroad they said they couldn't afford to by a house in spain (because of irish and english property developers dirving up the prices) yet alone contribute to language lessons...
    mikemac wrote: »
    If you have few skills but a hard worker and hoping for more then minimum wage and hopefully cheap accommodation, then sorry Ireland isn't the place for you!
    Very true...This is why it was important for our governement to generate a labor market that didn't rely on unskilled labor....but our government, elected by our people, dropped the ball and appeased breakfastroll man..and anyone who suggested 8 years ago that we were being short sighted was shouted down by folk saying stop talking down the economy.... even returning here with skills I found that the cost of living has higher that the quality provided would have merited in the rest of europe.....
    but dont worry rents are falling house prices are falling and while its painful for some.. anyone who was prudent during the boom period and put stuff aside and paid for mortgages and upskilling rather than SUV's will feel the bite less.... prices will return to something our economy can sustain and with good managment we are in a far better posiiton now than we were in teh 80's...but it will hurt us and some of us are paying disproportionatly for our role in the mismanagment and sins of others.. but we can't and shouldn't make scape goats of the people who contributed to the work and not the policies during good times....as Sand says its fecking shameful..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There must be something wrong as I agree with Sand :eek:

Aye, I'm off to the bath with a brillo pad and the dettol meself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

This is our country, Irish jobs for Irish people first.

What an apt username indeed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

'This elephant in the room' stuff always comes from the mouths of the likes of the Immigration Control Platform.

Why don't one of their TDs write a letter to the Pr....oh forget :rolleyes:

The Irish people currently hold ill-feeling towards two groups, the Fianna Fail party and the heads of financial and corporate instituations. This has been shown time and time again in mass ralies against

*health cuts
    *education cuts (where it was impossible to move without seeing placards reading 'bail out the rich, punish the young' etc.
    *third level fees
    *other aspects of the budget

I dare anyone to organise a 'send the feckin' black lads' home rally in Dublin, and we'll see how many turn up. The far right are constantly **** off about some non-existant race war that is apparently looming, when in reality all thats surfacing is a feeling of discontent with those in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ionix5891 wrote: »

Und arbeit macht frei - for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Nothing like a recession to bring out the classics.

"Blame it on the immergrints"

1) They work and pay taxes.

Anyone who wished/wished to do that was and is more then welcome.

2)If we had to take back every Irish person.

We'd be all standing room only.

Any arguement about sending any person fails assuming they actually worked when they were here. If they just claimed benifits then thats a different situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

why are people contriving in their thick heads that ireland is some really xenephoic place? it hardly is.

riots on the street? eh no

have you seen ****ings swedens reaction to immigrants? show me any big incidents to the level in sweden that have happened in ireland. **** off all you ****ing ***** who will have a go at the whole of ireland and make general comments all the ****ing time. i know this is only the internet but i find it upsetting. my next door neighbour is from senegal and i come from a middle class estate. you might think people would put their noses up as the guy is clearly living there with goverment help, but no at xmas people bring presents to his kids(mixed) and make him feel part of the street. they dont do this cause hes black but they know its tough being in a new country. irish people are good generally so please stop with your bull**** inferiority, sure isnt everywhere just so much ****ing ebtter than ****ng ireland.

sorry for the rant but ive had enough of the **** being talked here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

This is our country, Irish jobs for Irish people first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fGl9587X8

Bit heavy on the bad language there above, all I can picture is a giant fizzy drinks bottle screaming into a megaphone.
    my next door neighbour is from senegal and i come from a middle class estate

pics or GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Seanies32 wrote:
    I thought I'd answered that question for you on another thread. Maybe it was someone else.

I don't remember you answering it for me on another thread but it's a simple question so it won't take long for you to quickly answer it again. How many Poles and other non-nationals are expected to enter the country this year? And do you know how many jobs they're expecting to be created and to become vacant in the economy in 2009? Will there be enough for the newcomers and for our own unemployed?

2 months ago some statistics expected emmigration something like 40k but said the ammount of people coming in would match that.

on the polish, its difficult to come into a country without the languag especially first generation. look at new york city, for such a diverse city there is no mixing, people generally keep to themselves overall.

someone said on ah that the irish integrated well, im not so sure, it took years for any form of unity to grow. if any group integrated it was the germans but i wouldnt agree irish went there and integrated.

Will there be enough for the newcomers and for our own unemployed?

If there are no jobs for newcomers they'll turn around and go where they came from. I've seen it happening with some Italian friends of ours. They are the least problem of all. Not having worked here they can't claim any benefits so there is no point in staying.

i heard recent that many lithuanians will stay.

2 months ago some statistics expected emmigration something like 40k but said the ammount of people coming in would match that.

So it's possible immigration could cancel out the positive effects of emigration. The thing to remember as well is that many of the people emigrating will be Irish people who will be forced to leave because they can't find any jobs in this country. Maybe if we took some action to reduce the number of people entering the country unemployed people in this country would find it easier to get jobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If I wanted to go abroad - say Spain - to live and work, I would need to pay for my own Spanish languages.

Ireland, however, has all of us paying extra taxes to pay for English teachers and extra assistance, etc.

What English teachers and extra assistance?
    I teach in a school with a large number of ESL kids - I wish we had extra assistance.
    Perhaps the 'free cars and prams for Africans' schemes have taken all the money.

herya wrote:
    If there are no jobs for newcomers they'll turn around and go where they came from.

I'm sure they will. However, there are still jobs and job vacancies in the economy and the new arrivals can compete for those jobs with the unemployed people in this country. That will make it make more difficult for us to try to reduce unemployment because the competition for the available jobs is much greater than it would otherwise be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I remember in 2001 i stood outside our factory waiting for people to walk by and asking them if they wanted a job. If you came in for an interview you got the job if you kept your eyes open for the whole interview. Things were that bad back then we had no staff and were struggling to get the work done. we took in people from the Czech Republic to work. They saved all our jobs.
    Why? they worked for the same money as the Irish but the only thing different they knew the meaning of the word work. They arrived for work EVERY Monday. After a year or so the Polish arrived and carried on in the same spirit . We have a lot to thank these people for. if they never came to this country we would have been Doomed. They will go home, but in their own time. Don't let them leave with the memory of our Country Saying "Thanks!! But Now fcuk off"

• Advertisement

no no no no. in places like the usa and argentina the irish are renowned for thos traits. when your out flying the flag so to speak for your country and trying to support your family you will work hard.

altho thats fecking weird. how times change.

So it's possible immigration could cancel out the positive effects of emigration. The thing to remember as well is that many of the people emigrating will be Irish people who will be forced to leave because they can't find any jobs in this country. Maybe if we took some action to reduce the number of people entering the country unemployed people in this country would find it easier to get jobs.

TBH I find the idea that new immigrants will make up for emigrants highly unbelievable. I've no sources to quote but having friends I stay in touch with in many countries I know that Ireland is the last place to go to now. And I see foreigners living here leaving in droves or planning on leaving in the next couple of months. My sister works with many Polish office workers and they keep discussing leaving all the time. If they are made redundant the first reaction is OK I'll leave now. They are highly flexible and there are jobs elsewhere.

nah id say that was a wrong estimation. id expect the net rate to be minus 15,000 come the end of the year. so maby 25,000 coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

nah id say that was a wrong estimation. id expect the net rate to be minus 15,000 come the end of the year. so maby 25,000 coming in.

Based on what do you make that estimate?

trends. most will be african id suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

trends. most will be african id suspect.

So pulled out of fresh air then :rolleyes:

its what i do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

OP, would u like some salt n vinegar for that little chip on your shoulder there??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

no no no no. in places like the usa and argentina the irish are renowned for thos traits. when your out flying the flag so to speak for your country and trying to support your family you will work hard.

altho thats fecking weird. how times change.

The first generation Irish emigrants to the UK were exactly the same as the EU immigrants into Ireland. Irish clubs, Irish shops and only mixing with the natives at work. They also worked their balls off to send money back here to support their families because, surprise surprise, the families back in Ireland would have starved to death waiting for any Irish government to bail them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't remember you answering it for me on another thread but it's a simple question so it won't take long for you to quickly answer it again. How many Poles and other non-nationals are expected to enter the country this year? And do you know how many jobs they're expecting to be created and to become vacant in the economy in 2009? Will there be enough for the newcomers and for our own unemployed?

Apologies if it wasn't your good self. I'll do a search in a half an hour after I get my booze. Nearly sure NET Emigration is being predicted.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement