Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grapes Rip Off!

Options
  • 10-01-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I was in M&S Blanchardstown the other day and I saw a big promotion for grapes (South African) at "half price". When I looked for the actual price, it was nowhere to be seen. Well, I thought, it must be a good deal so I popped one into my basket. When I reached the till I was shocked to see that the 500g punnet of grapes was €3.50! So the full price of this punnet would have been €7!!!!
    I queried this with the girl at the till and she looked embarassed and apologised (this was probably not the 1st time a customer queried this so called half price deal).

Yesterday I was in Lidl and picked up a 500g punnet of grapes (South Africa) and they cost me €2.50.

I will be writing to the manager of M&S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Yup, have noticed that the price of both grapes and chicken have gone up dramatically in the past couple of years, I'm guessing there's a shortage of some kind? or maybe it's just the general price increase on all fronts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

M&S' grapes are delicious though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Hah!

The same thing happened me last week!! I was in window shopping in M&S and I saw the "special offer". Who in their right mind would pay 7 Euro for grapes is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chewed wrote: »
    Well, I thought, it must be a good deal so I popped one into my basket.
    You will know better next time not to fall for this crap. I see this all the time "fake offers", and old women aimlessly lapping it up, blindly filling their trolleys with whatever is "on offer".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I was in M&S Blanchardstown the other day and I saw a big promotion for grapes (South African) at "half price". When I looked for the actual price, it was nowhere to be seen. Well, I thought, it must be a good deal so I popped one into my basket. When I reached the till I was shocked to see that the 500g punnet of grapes was €3.50! So the full price of this punnet would have been €7!!!!
    I queried this with the girl at the till and she looked embarassed and apologised (this was probably not the 1st time a customer queried this so called half price deal).

Yesterday I was in Lidl and picked up a 500g punnet of grapes (South Africa) and they cost me €2.50.

The grapes in M&S are almost always on special, either 33% or 50% off - I'm struggling to remember a time I've paid the full €7 for a punnet.

As a grape fan I've also tried the Lidl grapes, and the M&S red/claret grapes are at least twice as nice as any I've bought from Lidl, so I'd always be willing to pay extra for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

grapes are around €7 per kilo so getting a 500g punnet(normal size, correct me please) at €3 is far from an offer regardless of how they taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I bought grapes in my local green grocers yesterday @ €4.40kg.
    I never buy pre-packed fruit or veg. because I think the quality is not as good as the stuff that I can pick out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ste.phen wrote: »
    M&S' grapes are delicious though :D

Wash them first, you'll scuttle yourself otherwise..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Jesus these Rip Off threads are hitting new lows. OP you know that not all grapes are created equal? Just because they are €7 does NOT mean they are rip off. If they are the sweetest, most delicous grapes you've ever tasted then they'll have been worth it.

Too often I pop into the likes of Lidl and Tesco, get 'reasonable value' grapes and there is no flavour from them. OP a BMW is an expensive car, is it or another expensive car a 'Rip Off' when other cars can be had cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Jesus these Rip Off threads are hitting new lows. OP you know that not all grapes are created equal? Just because they are €7 does NOT mean they are rip off. If they are the sweetest, most delicous grapes you've ever tasted then they'll have been worth it.

Too often I pop into the likes of Lidl and Tesco, get 'reasonable value' grapes and there is no flavour from them. OP a BMW is an expensive car, is it or another expensive car a 'Rip Off' when other cars can be had cheaper?

A grape is a grape in my eyes! they all look the same. Yes, some taste better than others, but a differece of €4.50 for a 500g punnet is ridiculous. The fact that M&S couldn't actually display the price at the time was also part of my original thread on this issue. If I go into a garage to buy a BMW, I still expect to know the price!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

A grape is a grape in my eyes! they all look the same. Yes, some taste better than others, but a differece of €4.50 for a 500g punnet is ridiculous. The fact that M&S couldn't actually display the price at the time was also part of my original thread on this issue. If I go into a garage to buy a BMW, I still expect to know the price!!

There's a lot of difference to be fair.
    Different varieties, seeded or seedless, organic, etc.

Your argument is akin to saying wine is wine - it should all be cheap/the one price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I'm certain they used to be 9 euros.

Advertisement