Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fr. Micheal Mernagh.

• 10-01-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

By Ralph Riegel
    Thursday January 08 2009
    THE priest who completed a nine-day trek over the Church's handling of clerical child abuse allegations last night appealed to Bishop John Magee to "do himself a favour" and step down.

Father Michael Mernagh said he could see no logical way in which the Bishop of Cloyne could now remain at his post.

"I'm afraid his position on this is really untenable," he told the Irish Independent. "I actually believe that he would be doing himself a favour by stepping down."

The 70-year-old priest walked from St Colman's Cathedral in Cork to the Pro-Cathedral in Dublin as an act of Church atonement for how abuse allegations were handled.

I read this in the Indo the other day and was pleased to see the good Fr. finishing in good health.
    I applaud Fr. Micheal for taking the bull by the horns as it were and address the way the CC have dealt with the issue of abuse by sticking their heads in the sand. Nuff said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

As an atheist, I have great admiration for Father Michael. He is one of the few in the clergy of the Catholic Church who has not shown hypocrisy.

The thought that many many bishops knew what was going on for many years and did nothing about the situation, reported nothing to the gardai and simply covered up for the sake keeping the church in the powerful position it once enjoyed is simply shocking and unfathomable.

It is equally shocking that none of these bishops have been charged with aiding a crime.

Well done Father Michael for having some decency and guts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

He is one of the few in the clergy of the Catholic Church who has not shown hypocrisy.

While I don't agree with the sweeping generality of the above quote, one must feel a great deal of admiration of the guy. Fair play!

While I don't agree with the sweeping generality of the above quote, one must feel a great deal of admiration of the guy. Fair play!

Let me clarify. I should have said the "higher ranks of the clergy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

It is equally shocking that none of these bishops have been charged with aiding a crime.

It is equally shocking that none of these politicans have been charged with aiding a crime.

Fixed it for you... or am i smelling a case of irish double standards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

To be honest when i heard this man talking, i thought what he was doing was more about his own guilt than addressing a dreadful situation. I would like to hear less of the outrage and more about what is actually being done and what is planned to be done. It is unacceptable for anyone to cover these situations up and everyone needs to know that the church are doing all they can to prevent anything like this from happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Phototoxin wrote: »
    It is equally shocking that none of these politicans have been charged with aiding a crime.

Fixed it for you... or am i smelling a case of irish double standards ?
    The bishops knew of specific cases where children were being raped by priest and stood by. No actually, that is not true, in a lot of cases they moved the priests to new parishes where they had new unsuspecting victims. How did the polititions aid a crime? Any person that knew what was going on and did not report it should be charged with a crime. As far as I am aware, not reporting the abuse of a child is a criminal offense in Ireland, well, it is in the UK anyway.

So if any politicians knew of cases of abuse and did nothing then as far as I am concerned he or she should be charged, and the same for any gardai that knew what was going on, or anyone else.

But I don't think that any right thinking person could possibly think that a bishop that systematically and knowingly aided and abetted child rapists in hiding their crimes and providing them with fresh unknowing victims is more culpable than a politician that simply knew what was happening and did nothing.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Portia 27

MrPudding wrote: »
    The bishops knew of specific cases where children were being raped by priest and stood by. No actually, that is not true, in a lot of cases they moved the priests to new parishes where they had new unsuspecting victims. How did the polititions aid a crime? Any person that knew what was going on and did not report it should be charged with a crime. As far as I am aware, not reporting the abuse of a child is a criminal offense in Ireland, well, it is in the UK anyway.

So if any politicians knew of cases of abuse and did nothing then as far as I am concerned he or she should be charged, and the same for any gardai that knew what was going on, or anyone else.

But I don't think that any right thinking person could possibly think that a bishop that systematically and knowingly aided and abetted child rapists in hiding their crimes and providing them with fresh unknowing victims is more culpable than a politician that simply knew what was happening and did nothing.

MrP

Oh the Roman Catholic church knew plenty of the abuse of children for years, and when things got too hot, they moved the predator priests onto the UK or Scotland etc.

I know it for a fact in Drogheda- as the Gardai arrived- the priest was already gone the night before.

All done in darkness once again.

Also, there are thousnads of children who were not believed by their parents in the past- and when one did tell, the child got a clip on the ear and told to wash their mouth out.

Our parents LIVED IN FEAR OF THESE BOYS IN DRESSES.

The believed priests could curse them etc.

All religions are run using fear and control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Portia 27 wrote: »

That is absolute and utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

LolaDub wrote: »
    That is absolute and utter rubbish.

Ya I agree not all of them. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

While some religions certainly do use fear -- that silly "You'll burn if you don't believe this" ad which prompted the highly successful atheist bus campaign is as good an example as any -- I don't believe that there are any religions which use fear alone to exert control.

On-topicly, fair dues to Mernagh for getting up off his tot and making a convincing act of public apology. It would be good to see his superiors leaving their palaces to do something similar and it would be better still to see all concerned co-operate fully with state authorities without having to be pushed all the time.

• Advertisement

Phototoxin wrote: »

Fixed it for you... or am I smelling a case of irish double standards ?

"fixed it for you"....... how very arrogant of you.

Thank you but I have no need for you to "fix" my opinions.

By the way, what double standards are you talking about ? You seem to have plucked that from thin air. I never even mentioned politcians.

If there was a politician or any person who aided the sexual abuse of children by simply turning a blind eye and not reporting these crimes, they should of course be charged with a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

God bless and reward him. He is the one ray of hope... a light shining in the darkness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

sorella wrote: »
    God bless and reward him. He is the one ray of hope... a light shining in the darkness.

Not the only ray of hope, but yes, I agree with everyone's thumbs up to Fr Mernagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

"fixed it for you"....... how very arrogant of you.

If there was a politician or any person who aided the sexual abuse of children by simply turning a blind eye and not reporting these crimes, they should of course be charged with a crime.

achtungB -but there were politicians, social workers, doctors and public servants from the Dept of Health who knew and did nothing.There were also parents who handed their children over to the Magdelene Sisters.

There has been nothing done to identify or charge these people.

There also were children abused in boarding schools who do not benefit from the compensation funds made available and who were forgotten by the state when they agreed the compensation package.

I can understand where Phototoxin is coming from here but not why you take offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Oh the Roman Catholic church knew plenty of the abuse of children for years, and when things got too hot, they moved the predator priests onto the UK or Scotland etc.

I know it for a fact in Drogheda- as the Gardai arrived- the priest was already gone the night before.

All done in darkness once again.

Also, there are thousnads of children who were not believed by their parents in the past- and when one did tell, the child got a clip on the ear and told to wash their mouth out.

Our parents LIVED IN FEAR OF THESE BOYS IN DRESSES.

The believed priests could curse them etc.

This kind of post intrigues me -do you have any links we can see to back up your claims about Drogheda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Fr Mernagh was not making a public apology, but an act of atonement.

As an Augustinian Friar, his superiors are not the Bishops, but the Prior of his Monastic Order.

He faced McGee openly thus in a way few others could do without fear of reprisal from their own Bishop.

See

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/2009/01/archbishop-praises-man-of-principle-as.html

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-am-symbol-of-hope-for-many-who-were.html

http://whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com/2009/01/in-dublin-atonement-now-shock-on.html

On-topicly, fair dues to Mernagh for getting up off his tot and making a convincing act of public apology. It would be good to see his superiors leaving their palaces to do something similar and it would be better still to see all concerned co-operate fully with state authorities without having to be pushed all the time.[/quote]

Advertisement