Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shame of Drogheda Cinema

Options
  • 10-01-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Looking at the cinema listings every week, I am convinced that Drogheda Omniplex consistently shows the worst selection of films in Ireland. Every week its Kiddie Detective this, animated elephant that, Will Smith explosion blockbuster the other. I heard a rumour that there will be a new cinema in the second phase of Scotch Hall but to my horror, the same crowd will be running it!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Humans that are not children or teenagers also live in Drogheda...

Sample of films out in cinemas in Dublin:
    Che Part I
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Defiance

Drogheda:
    Bride Wars
    Madagascar 2
    The Tale of Despereaux
    Bedtime Stories

Hang your heads in shame Drogheda Omniplex! Right I'm off up there with my DOWN WITH THAT SORT OF THING placard....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Looking at the cinema listings every week, I am convinced that Drogheda Omniplex consistently shows the worst selection of films in Ireland. Every week its Kiddie Detective this, animated elephant that, Will Smith explosion blockbuster the other. I heard a rumour that there will be a new cinema in the second phase of Scotch Hall but to my horror, the same crowd will be running it!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Humans that are not children or teenagers also live in Drogheda...

Sample of films out in cinemas in Dublin:
    Che Part I
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Defiance

Drogheda:
    Bride Wars
    Madagascar 2
    The Tale of Despereaux
    Bedtime Stories

Hang your heads in shame Drogheda Omniplex! Right I'm off up there with my DOWN WITH THAT SORT OF THING placard....

Sure you're only a short spin away from Dublin, whether to Santry or Coolock or even the City centre. Go to the Light House or the IFI for decent films. And you don't need a car either - Matthews buses run until late to get you home. And Bus Eireann run 24/7 too.

Btw I agree with the point you make but there are solutions. I do believe the Arts Centre in Drogheda also has a film club? I wouldn't let the woeful selections at the Omniplex deter your desire to see decent films. I go to Dublin all the time to see great films, usually on a Saturday, and enjoy watching them at Dundalk Town Hall as well, with the Film Club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

mod9maple wrote: »
    Sure you're only a short spin away from Dublin, whether to Santry or Coolock or even the City centre. Go to the Light House or the IFI for decent films. And you don't need a car either - Matthews buses run until late to get you home. And Bus Eireann run 24/7 too.

The thing is I commute to Dublin everyday and its v tiring, and I don't drive. The last thing I want is to travel to Dublin 6 days a week!! However, I will look into the Droichead Arts Centre Film club for sure. Do they get recent releases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

The thing is I commute to Dublin everyday and its v tiring, and I don't drive. The last thing I want is to travel to Dublin 6 days a week!! However, I will look into the Droichead Arts Centre Film club for sure. Do they get recent releases?

I wasn't sure of your personal circumstances when I made the post so I understand now where you're coming from. All I'm saying is if you really want to see a film badly enough, Dublin is a closer option to you than it is me. Be proactive about your viewing instead of letting the poor selection at the Omniplex get you down. Dundalk cinema is no better, believe me. :mad:

And in the meantime, invest in a great surround sound, large screen home cinema system. :D Thats what I did. I know it's not the same but at least you can watch DVD's at home something approaching the real thing.

Check out Drogheda's Arts Centre website for details of future films. They don't show recent releases no, but like here in Dundalk show Indie (for want of a better word), Arthouse and foreign-language films. Most are quite recent and modern, some are classics.

http://www.droicheadartscentre.com/whats-on/index.php?id=5#e_223

http://www.irishfilm.ie/

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/index.php

http://www.antaintheatre.com/filmclub.html (the Autumn season is over now, but this just shows an example of what was recently shown.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭gipi

How about going to the cinema in Dublin after work? I've done that several times, I like cineworld on Parnell St, they've usually got a good selection of films (not just the blockbuster/latest animation/child-friendly/english language only stuff), there are often 5pm - 7pm start times (depends on where you are and when you finish work), and it's close to Matthews terminus and not too far from Busaras or Connolly Station.

There's also Movies @ Swords, in the Pavilion, or the Savoy (?) in Balbriggan - still a bit of a bus journey, but not as far as the city if you wanted a weekend movie.

I agree with you garrincha, the selection in the Drogheda cinema is very "adult unfriendly"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chw123

I agree, poor films and the cinema is generally not up to scratch. The good news is the new cinema in scotch hall will be run by another company who run a complex in galway www.eyecinema.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement