Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Light Problem

Options
  • 10-01-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I've got a 1998 Audi A3 1.6. The brake lights aren't working properly. When the headlights are switched off the brake lights don't come on at all. When the headlights are switched on the brake lights are on constantly. I've replaced the bulbs and fuses with no joy. I've seen a couple of threads here about the brake light switch being a possible cause of constantly-on brake lights, but I wanted to check if anyone knows whether the fact that they don't come on when the headlights are switched off might suggest an electrical fault?

I'd replace the brake light switch myself, but wouln't have a clue about the electrics. I'm not working at the mo, so the cheaper the solution the better, unfortunately :(.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't think that the brake switch is your problem.

Sounds like a bad earth or rotten contact to me. These can be buggers to locate and you'll probably need a car electrician to check it for you.

First make sure though that on the rear light cluster all cables are properly terminated, that there is no corossion and that all bulbs are properly seated and make good contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Thanks for the feedback, Peasant. I was hoping it wouldn't be the electrics. Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Are you sure the brake lights don’t work as normal when the lights are switched off? With the lights off, ignition on, do the dash lights come on when you press the brake?

Check that there are no single filament bulbs in the rear light holders where there should be double ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check that the brake light bulbs are correct. Pay particular attention to the offset of the locating pins on the side of the metal section of the bulbs. If these are wrong then it can cause feedback into other circuits. I've seen this quite a few times.

Advertisement