Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best car kit on the market for a Nokia phone?

• 10-01-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a new Yaris and I want to put a bluetooth car kit into the car.

What would the recommendations be for a kit that has the mute radio facility for incoming and outgoing calls, and has a charging cradle?

I'm actually in 2 minds as to whether to get a kit with a charging cradle or one with a mini screen of its own, and just charge the phone separately.

Any ideas / suggestions would be great.

The options I've seen so far are the Nokia CK7W and CK15W.
    The 15W has a screen of its own so I'd need a charger separately I assume.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

o2 sell the popular parrot car kits and vodafone have a slightly bigger range including the bury car kit which does most of the above and more. I'm not aware of any bluetooth kits that come with a cradle.

cradles that have charges I would imagine are like the old car kits which are a pain if you change phone. My advice is go with the bury, find a cradle that suits your phone that's not permanently mounted and buy a car charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

I would go for the Nokia CK 7W which is just a button you can have fitted to the dash where it can be easily reached though not seen (if fitted properly) and then just charge the phone from the 12v socket. Very simple kit and if you wish to make calls set up Voice Tags and it is very easy to use. The best 230-250 euro you will ever spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I would go for the Nokia CK 7W which is just a button you can have fitted to the dash where it can be easily reached though not seen (if fitted properly) and then just charge the phone from the 12v socket. Very simple kit and if you wish to make calls set up Voice Tags and it is very easy to use. The best 230-250 euro you will ever spend.

The CK7W can work with a cradle that has a charge built into it.. or so the Nokia chap told me in the shop.

I'd like to be able to look at the screen of the phone if necessary and see who's calling etc. Just like a regular car kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

dont get a phone with a cradle,continuosly chargin your phone like that will destroy your battery

fcleere wrote: »
    dont get a phone with a cradle,continuosly chargin your phone like that will destroy your battery

Its more to be able to see who's calling than charging it constantly. Its only a 6300 anyway. Its a basic phone so Im not too worried about the battery.

How does the CK7W actually work? Is it voice activation only? Is there a wheel on the button that scrolls through the phone phonebook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

i believe the bury touch screen is the best on the market, but the parrot 3200 kits are really good value

The general advice I've been getting is to use a car charger for the phone separate to the kit and use a generic bluetooth kit. I'm coming around to the idea of having no screen, so this seems to be the kit to fit the bill. I think its out in Ireland over the next couple of weeks and has enhanced voice dialing.

Bury RC 9060

Its basically the no screen version of the new bury touchscreen.

It seems to do the trick. Would anyone think otherwise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DLiam007

Hi. I came across these guys before Christmas and got a car kit for my dad. Knew their stuff when I rang. They advised me to go with a Parrot CK3100 car kit. Basically if you get a cradle charger you will have to change it if you change your phone. With a Parrot Bluetooth car kit, you have the display and the phone connects via bluetooth. If you change your phone all you have to do is pair it again. Buy a separate phone charger from most petrol fore courts for about €9 quid and just charge the phone from the lighter socket. That way you wont affect the phone battery longterm.

Also you have to decide if you want the phone call to automatically mute your stereo when a call comes in and place the call through your speakers. This is the best way but you will need a stereo mute lead which is specific to each car make. (I think I will ask them for a job after this) It cost me €249.99for a fully installed car kit for my dad. They came out to my dads house the day after New Years day to install it. Good job very neat and tidy. Can also pair 3 phones to the car kit at once so more people can use the car kit as well. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,064 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trotter wrote: »
    The general advice I've been getting is to use a car charger for the phone separate to the kit and use a generic bluetooth kit. I'm coming around to the idea of having no screen, so this seems to be the kit to fit the bill. I think its out in Ireland over the next couple of weeks and has enhanced voice dialing.

Bury RC 9060

i have the touchscreen version in my car, working fully with my Nokia N85. I would highly recommend it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bury RC 9060

The Burry CC 9060, available in Ireland (but cheaper on eBay) has a screen. Its an advanced bluetooth car kit without the charger/cradle. As I said earlier, invest in a car charger which plugs into the ash tray and charge your battery when low.

The burry CC 9060 not only has a screen but it does everything a decent car kit should do. It reads text messages out loud and has voice dialling. You can wire into the car so it mutes the radio when a call is coming/going.

The CC9060 seems to do the trick. It just doesnt charge your phone and has no cradle. You can get the extras in a shop or eBay cheap enough. :)

• Advertisement

i have the touchscreen version in my car, working fully with my Nokia N85. I would highly recommend it.

The way it talks to ya would drive me berserk!

Sully wrote: »
    The CC9060 seems to do the trick. It just doesnt charge your phone and has no cradle. You can get the extras in a shop or eBay cheap enough. :)

Its €335 at the mo Sully. Im not sure I'd get the use out of a screen though. The RC 9060 uses the same voice technology but without the screen.

Listening to the thing talk to me would wreck my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why not a bluetooth enabled SatNav, two birds one stone etc etc

MC

Its €335 at the mo Sully. Im not sure I'd get the use out of a screen though. The RC 9060 uses the same voice technology but without the screen.

Listening to the thing talk to me would wreck my head.

€161.53 from eBay including delivery. :)

I assume it only talks when you ask it to read out a message. You talk to it when you want to call someone..

Its not like the GPS which may irritate you telling you every move and turn :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you are using it to route yes it will talk to you if you want but otherwise its as quiet as a mouse.

MC

Sully wrote: »
    The Burry CC 9060, available in Ireland (but cheaper on eBay) has a screen. Its an advanced bluetooth car kit without the charger/cradle. As I said earlier, invest in a car charger which plugs into the ash tray and charge your battery when low.

The burry CC 9060 not only has a screen but it does everything a decent car kit should do. It reads text messages out loud and has voice dialling. You can wire into the car so it mutes the radio when a call is coming/going.

When it says it stores text messages.. does that mean it copies them from the handset and then stores a duplicate?

God I'm tempted. I'd love to hear from people who have the kit and could tell me a bit about what they think of it. Just looking at Amazon.co.uk, I could get it sent to my friend in the UK for €130 ish.

Im just wondering will it fit in anywhere in my car though.. and can I stop it reading texts to me. That'd bug me a bit.

As for the satnav.. I have a decent one I'm happy with. I'd like to keep them separate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i have a cc9060, its smaller than i antisipated, but that not a bad thing!

its very good at what it does, the voice dial, and voice prompt feature is highly accurate.

check up on the bury site if your phone is compatible with the text msg reading feature, as lots of phones are supported, some are not, like the iphone 3g isnt supported.

bluetooth handsfree calling however works a treat

i picked one up for around 138 euro all in

i havent used any parrots or any other kits, im very impressed with the bury, id reccomend it to ya

BArra wrote: »
    i picked one up for around 138 euro all in

Where did you get it if you dont mind me asking? I'd go for Amazon at the moment.

Does the kit always read out the texts or is it optional?

i got it from amazon from a marketplace seller! got it a week or so ago, when the euro->sterling was near parity!

it does not read messages out when they come in, you have to tell it to read them, it goes like this.

you enter into voice prompt mode, you say then, messages, read message one, two, three...ect ect

and it reads it, if u dont want it to read the msg out, it wont, simple as that!

any other questions lemme know

BArra wrote: »
    any other questions lemme know

Excellent.. So if I'm sittin in a carpark and a text comes in, I can read it off the screen without robocop talking to me?

Im gonna have to look and see will it fit anywhere. My car's interior is all slanted and curved so theres no obvious place for it.

I'd need to find somewhere reputable to install it too.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭coghlac3

I had a Nokia CK-7W without a cradle, and loved it. Very simple interface a little button and wheel.

But I just got the CK-15W for the wife for christmas from www.phonesonline.ie and it's great. Great interface. Basically you can control your entire phone through the scren and button.

My advice for what it's worth is to avoid cradles at all cost. They are not great for futureproofing, and if some else is drivin your car it's easy for them to connect, plus if you sell the car on it could be a good feature. Also the convenience of not having to take your phone out of your pocket or route through your bag to find it is great.

I had phonesonline organise the installation too. They arrived exactly when they said they would, and the engineer did a perfect job, very tidy cable wrk and button and screen were exactly where I asked for them.

Hope this helps!!!

they are very easy to fit,took me around 20mins. although the yaris has a built in dash system dosent it? so would require some knowledge of what screw to undo and what to take out

it may also need an adapter to fit it to the radio, though u wont know that until u can see the back of the yaris radio, or else google it online before you buy to be sure.

lots of cars with inbuilt headunits can have quadlocks, instead of iso, so thats worth looking into.

its very simple after that just plug and play, then just a bit of routing of the mic, and hiding of the bluetooth box

A decent mechanic shoudl be able to install the Burry wiring for the auto-mute.

I have one here which I hope to get fitted next week. I have two others ordered but the seller has a habbit of being slow and poor communication!

Advertisement