Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you tell if a company has closed?

• 10-01-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if someone could explain/clarify something for me?
    I was looking at the CRO website at a company I need to buy a machine from. On looking at the Company Details page I've noticed that on the Status line it says "Strike Off Listed" along with an effective date.

The reason I was looking for them on the CRO site was because before the date shown on the status line I've been to see these guys and had a few emails off them but nothing since. I've sent them a couple of emails recently but haven't been getting any response which I have to say is unusual for them - they've ususally been pretty prompt in that respect.

Does the Strike Off status mean they've closed down?

Any ideas??

Thanks - Bijou

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It means they are behind in their annual returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It means they are behind in their annual returns.
    You don't get struck off for being late with annual returns-you get plenty of warning letters etc.

If I was the poster I would not be purchasing anything off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They probably haven't filed accounts on time. That's the main reason companies get struck off. Tehy get a number of warnings and are then strike off listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

jdivision wrote: »
    They probably haven't filed accounts on time. That's the main reason companies get struck off. Tehy get a number of warnings and are then strike off listed.

You have no evidence as to why they have been struck off.

You fail to provide a source for the sweeping generalisation that most are struck off for late returns.

There is a reason for the OP not doing business with the company and it is that you cannot,if needs be,sue a company that is struck off.

I have no idea why they have been struck off but the OP needs to avoid them like the plague.

You need to be very late and ignore repeated warnings to be struck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

bijou wrote: »
    I've noticed that on the Status line it says "Strike Off Listed"

Being Struck off and being strike off listed are two very different things. The Majority of companies are strike off listed for being late on their returns but it doesn't offer a guarantee that this is the reason in this case.

The CRO status isn't a good indicator of wether a company is trading or not. A Company can cease active trading but might still file CRO returns because this can be cheaper than liquidating the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Thanks guys for your answers it makes it a little clearer now.

So if the status changes on the CRO site and it says "struck off" is that a fair indication of them having closed?

Sorry for the questions but I'm still on my vast learning curve so to speak:rolleyes:

Bijou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

So if the status changes on the CRO site and it says "struck off" is that a fair indication of them having closed?
    It is a fair indication. However they maybe continuing to trade either illegally or they may have become a non incorporated business

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Your probably best avoiding them, if your buying a machine you can't be sure the company will be around in 12 months for service or warrenty. If they haven't got straight back to you to put your mind at ease with a valid explanation i'd run the other way.

Just an update (sort of.....)
    I finally got an email from this crowd this morning with the quote details I'd requested earlier - but just out of interest I went back to the CRO website and this crowd's status is now showing as "Dissolved".

One or two of you good people have previously said I should maybe steer clear - based on the "Dissolved" status on CRO site, do you think I should steer clear?

Thanks
    bijou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Just an update (sort of.....)
    based on the "Dissolved" status on CRO site, do you think I should steer clear?

Thanks
    bijou

So you're buying some equipment from them. What difference does it make if they're dissolved or not. Will they deliver the goods? Are they the cheapest? Will you need support?

My only concern with these guys is that they might disappear with my money. Have you ordered anything or paid a deposit? If not, it doesn't matter. If they're offering the best deal and you need no further dealings with them, go for it. At the end of the day it shouldn't matter to you. Pay them on their terms but don't give a deposit.

• Advertisement

DubTony wrote: »
    So you're buying some equipment from them. What difference does it make if they're dissolved or not. Will they deliver the goods? Are they the cheapest? Will you need support?

My only concern with these guys is that they might disappear with my money. Have you ordered anything or paid a deposit? If not, it doesn't matter. If they're offering the best deal and you need no further dealings with them, go for it. At the end of the day it shouldn't matter to you. Pay them on their terms but don't give a deposit.

DubTony - :D I think you've just made my mind up for me!

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Dissolved means they no longer exist as a company, to trade under the companies name or in any way claim to be still trading is illegal.

Unless they are liquidating their machines at massive discounts i'd avoid like anorexic would a big tub of Ben and Jerries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

In the OP's posts there's nothing about whether the machines are new or secondhand? For example, the 'dissolved' company might be selling an old asset which has a zero value in company accounts, ie, it has been depreciated to nil value, in which case, someone might be selling a PWO piece of kit that has some vale as a private sale?

A good example would be a commercial van, which purchased new and after the 5 year sliding depreciation has nil value, but in fact would fetch a tidy sum if sold privately.

OP needs to make more enquiries as to status/ownershop of equiupment. I'd avoid getting embroiled in any potential underhand trading, which might have risks for all.

In the OP's posts there's nothing about whether the machines are new or secondhand? For example, the 'dissolved' company might be selling an old asset which has a zero value in company accounts, ie, it has been depreciated to nil value, in which case, someone might be selling a PWO piece of kit that has some vale as a private sale?

A good example would be a commercial van, which purchased new and after the 5 year sliding depreciation has nil value, but in fact would fetch a tidy sum if sold privately.

OP needs to make more enquiries as to status/ownershop of equiupment. I'd avoid getting embroiled in any potential underhand trading, which might have risks for all.

Well, the machines are new (or they were when I saw them) and they're not cheap but they are a good make. However, I'm now feeling a bit dubious about approaching them again now since seeing this information on the CRO site and taking into account some of the responses I've received here.

Thanks guys:)

Advertisement