Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked toilet

• 10-01-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's no plumbing section so I put this thread here. The other guy in the apartment blocked the loo somehow, and the bowl is full of water. I don't think there's a plunger in the apartment. What do I do??? He's not going to fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I assume the blockage is in your apartment wc.

Pour half a cup of cheap brown vinegar into bowl. This will help dissolve the blockage. Get a metal coat hanger, unwind it fully.

Push the coat hanger wire into the wc, to dislodge the blockage.
    It may take afew attemps - be patient.

If this doesn't work you will need a plumber unless you are able to unscrew the wc from the floor, to access the pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ok I'll have to get those things. thanks though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

nice DIY there ! :)

have you tried any of those unblock drain type products from the supermarket

nope I only just found out, and I didn't do it so I'm not in such a hurry. (maybe in a few hours I will be though! :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

roll up ur sleeve and stick ur arm down is the best option.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

RKQ wrote: »
    Get a metal coat hanger, unwind it fully.

Push the coat hanger wire into the wc, to dislodge the blockage.
    It may take afew attemps - be patient.

If this doesn't work you will need a plumber unless you are able to unscrew the wc from the floor, to access the pipe.

The coathanger trick works nearly all the time ,I'd also recommend getting a plastic bag to put over your hand/arm when your doing it.
    You will see the water drop as your using the coathanger

Don't have vinegar, would bleach be any use here? I can go to the shop for some drain unblocker or whatever if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Mr. Muscle does a product, then get a plastic bag over the hand and arm and go in!
    Unplesant but it'll work.

I'm holding off having to put my hand in, I didn't do it after all. But your man is away for the weekend and probably wouldn't do anything when he comes back either so I'll keep that as a last resort. So glad I'm moving out *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you have a mop (not the flat square type obviously!! :) ) and use it like a plunger in the toilet bowl, it should clear the blockage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

+1 for the mop. Always works for me.

I tried the mr. muscle and got creative with an old ironing board to find something that would replace the hanger. Not worked yet though, maybe I need to bend it to the shape of the pipe or something? Please don't make me put my hands in the loo!!!! *cries*

Knock into the neighbours and tell them you need a coathanger to get your keys from the back of something.

Coathanger is your only man.

Large bottle of vinegar is 40c in Aldi or Lidl! :D

Coat hanger wire or similar works so why not try it?
    I'm sure black sack works too but rather You than me!

"maybe I need to bend it to the shape of the pipe or something?"
    Thats the idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Did you check the main manhole/foul drain on site to see if that was full?

Gazza22 wrote: »
    Did you check the main manhole/foul drain on site to see if that was full?

I can see the paper...and have an overwhelming desire to stick yer man's head in it. bastard. :mad:
    RKQ wrote: »
    Large bottle of vinegar is 40c in Aldi or Lidl! :D

too late now (I Know should've gotten it earlier). Whats it to do though? he just stuck a hell of a lot of paper in there and clogged it up from the looks of it. bastard. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you have a mop, tie a couple of plastic bags over the head of it and use it like a plunger. It works every time, I promise. If you haven't got a mop, a round-headed toilet brush will do - but wear rubber gloves because your hands will get splashed.

If you have a mop, tie a couple of plastic bags over the head of it and use it like a plunger. It works every time, I promise. If you haven't got a mop, a round-headed toilet brush will do - but wear rubber gloves because your hands will get splashed.

*shudders* ok thanks I think there is an old mop here, I'll go try that now. *shudders again*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I can see the paper...and have an overwhelming desire to stick yer man's head in it. bastard. :mad:

Ah i see it's just right there in pipe.....ah nasty what a *rick! Yeah well hanger or toilet brush/mop as mentioned are the only options!

too late now (I Know should've gotten it earlier). Whats it to do though? he just stuck a hell of a lot of paper in there and clogged it up from the looks of it. bastard. :mad:

Vinegar is ideal for clearing / unblocking wc or whb. It dissolves hair, grease and fatty solids!:eek:

Vinegar would have helped to dissolve the problem. Might not have needed to use coat hanger, mop or black sack - yuk. It might have dissolve it for you.

Good luck! :D

• Advertisement

Does it dissolve paper though? I would've thought the mr. muscle would. (there is a lot of paper *shudders again*) Can you tell I now hate this guy?

Does it dissolve paper though? I would've thought the mr. muscle would. (there is a lot of paper *shudders again*) Can you tell I now hate this guy?

If you can't find a coathanger ,you could always stick his neck in it and try that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You'd need something caustic like a drain cleaner to dissolve the paper - I'm sure the mop will work if you keep at it though. You might need to flush the toilet if the water goes too low for plunging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

BTW, if you're using a plastic bag, wrap your hand in an old towel, wrap that and your arm in a black plastic sack, and use your arm as the plunger. Have another black plastic sack ready and open to dump the whole lot into when you're done.

*shudders* ok thanks I think there is an old mop here, I'll go try that now. *shudders again*

Sorry to say this but if you're genuinely not trolling you need to toughen up and use your loaf as they say. Be a man! :rolleyes:

Ok so the mop plunger seems to have done the job, I poured the rest of the mr. muscle in and will flush in a half hour. If that hasn't worked then I'll go down to centra and get some vinegar, keep plunging, and then put on the immersion so I can scrub myself with a brillo pad.

Happy Days :)

Have a drink

Great! We're delighted! :D

Remember alcohol disinfects...... have a good drink! :)

Still hungover from last night (well not really...) going out tomorrow, it can disinfect then!

• Advertisement

Final update: success, and with no hands in loo required! Thanks all.

Advertisement