Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked toilet

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 aluna

just found this thread and used the mop method...genius. thank gawd :D.

Also just found this thread and the vinegar method seems to have worked! Thank Gawd x2 :D Thanks RKQ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No problem Caiden Raspy Valedictorian, glad to help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

For the benefit of the tape... I explained why the vinager method is bad.. :D

But Cest la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Laughing at this thread as I recently had a similar experience but I was not laughing at the time!Toilet in main bathroom of house I work in got blocked and the water came up almost to the top of the bowl. Donned some gloves and got the plunger out, and after a long time and lots of plunging, the water level began to drop. Was happy enough, and decided just to lock the door and not allow anybody to use it. However, later on that evening, it occured to me that I never checked the toilet in the en-suite at the other side of the wall to see if all was ok in there. So in I went, and when I saw what was waiting to greet me, I ran back out and was sick in a different loo! Couldnt even look at it, never mind contemplate plunging it. So the next day the plumber called and Id to show to the bathroom. He said it'd be no problem to unblock, but after half an hour, he was pretty miffed as nothing was happening. So he decided he'd have to open the pipe outside to see where the blockage was. Transpired that there was some sort of cover missing from the top of the pipe, so a crow had gone into the pipe, and decided to die while he was there, and according to the plumber, who had to remove him, he'd been there for quite some time, slowing causing everything to back up.

Dont think I'll ever forget it! Such a way for that crow to meet his maker:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

What you really need is to go out and buy a van with a 1000l water tank onboard, then buy a sewer jetter and mount that in the van, and then get a few years experience dealing with blocked sewers and bodged pipework. Or you could pm me and I will advise you on the likely problem, or send one of my vans around to "relieve" your problem! I am amazed daily at the amount of very poor pipework out there, and the massive problems that it causes people, as well as the horrendous damage it causes to peoples property. I have seen on hundreds of occasions the upset to peoples lives that a simple matter such as a blocked toilet can cause. And I rarely see vinegar providing a solution when the pipes are blocked solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Some of the time it can be the type of toilet paper you use that causes the problem, some toilet paper on sale these days is more like kitchen paper heavy and slow to breakdown, and if you use too much of it - it will lead to one thing a blockage.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

OK so I've flushed litres of boiling water down, thrown about 10 litres of caustic soda down, I've punged, I've tried the coat hanger, no blockage, I've put my hand down there, felt around, no blockage. So the Ubend is clear.

The water simply isn't draining quickly, it does eventually but when you flush it stays high in the bowl for a while.

Any thoughts?

It's a downstairs, under the stairs, relatively newly installed toilet.

When the toilet is flushed, water gurgles in the handbasin pipe because they're connected, how does one clear an outflow pipe?

Really don't want to have to call a plumber/drain clear company :(

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

so turns out the toilet isn't blocked at all. It's the outflow pipe.

I checked the access point of it in the garage, and the water is having difficulty clearing from there.

any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Identify the nearest AJ (Access Junction) and get a set of rods from a hardware store.
    I have a long (20m) pipe with a poor drop on it, I have to rod it out every 2 years... lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement