Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working for an internet company but already employed

• 10-01-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

If someone is working for an internet company based in Canada as an online administrator, but they live in Ireland, and is given an average of €500 a month for the services they provide, do they have to declare tax on the money they receive?

The company declares tax in Canada, but would you have to declare tax? And if not they have to declare tax if they are in full time employment in Ireland?

Would anyone know this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is the money transferred to your account here or to a Canadian account?
    If the money is taxed once that should suffice. Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 real_gone

It would be transfered into an Irish account. My concern is that revenue will take a look into the account and say hey you owe us x pay by x or we will or face penalty.

It is not guaranteed income every month and it could be higher or lower depending on what the company makes. Does that make sense?

(also I am not sure if this is the right place to post)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Maybe try the accounting section. They will should know about taxes etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

It would be transfered into an Irish account. My concern is that revenue will take a look into the account and say hey you owe us x pay by x or we will or face penalty.

It is not guaranteed income every month and it could be higher or lower depending on what the company makes. Does that make sense?

(also I am not sure if this is the right place to post)
    You have to declare the income to revenue
    Canada and Ireland have a double taxation agreement, but as you are in fulltime employment, you will probably have to pay tax on the money at the higher rate. ie Canada tax you at @ 20%??? you will still have to pay 40%-20% = 20% to Irish revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 real_gone

Ok thanks, can a moderator possibly move this the accounting section please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I knew a guy who worked for an Irish company, was based in London where they had no office, and consulted for a company in Amsterdam, spending a bit of time there. For 11 months his company couldn't get an answer to who he should pay tax to. It was resolved eventually, during which time the company witheld an amount from his salary to cover whatever liability he would have. I don't know who he paid it to, but if you're paying tax in Canada you should be ok.

I'd suggest calling revenue and asking them They're usually very helpful.

Advertisement