Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croker Singing Section confirmed

• 10-01-2009 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

The lads running the "You Boys in Green" fanzine have been in contact with the FAI the last couple of months and arranged for a section in the Davin Stand for those of us that want to sing in a group and not feel awkward. Details:
    The Singing Section has the green light starting with the Georgia game on February 11.
    The FAI want what the fans want - an electric atmosphere and three points.
    1,600 tickets have been allocated together in the Davin Stand for fans who want to sing and be the hub of the Croker atmosphere. If you are a block booker, you can transfer to this section without losing your block booking privilidges.
    The idea is to create colour and as much noise as possible and Trapattoni will officially launch the Singing Section later in the month.
    Tickets for the Singing Section will be available to the general public with block bookers getting first preference.
    To get your ticket, e mail your name and block booking number (if applicable) to youboysingreen@gmail.com Max 6 tickets per person.
    This is our chance to get behind the team and roar them to South Africa 2010.
    Georgia is only the start and by the time Italy come to Dublin we will have a giant 12th man jersey to cover the crowd.
    So for those who want to give it socks and get Croker rocking, sends the e mails now.
    APPLICATIONS MUST BE IN BEFORE THURSDAY JAN 15.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is a great idea imo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

embarrassing that this is deemed necessary and that by singing normally you are made feel awkward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Hardly embarrassing, given the fact that there is no way to collectively sit with a large group of like minded supporters at the moment. The LOI clubs don't have supporters group that travel to Ireland games en-masse as the English clubs would do.

Will need to speak with my mate who I go to these games with, but I would definitely like to be in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Definitely needed, the last few games were dead, with the exception of the Polish fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Draupnir wrote: »
    The LOI clubs don't have supporters group that travel to Ireland games en-masse as the English clubs would do.

Not sure about that. I've never been part of it, but I thought there was such a section.

• Advertisement

All the LOI allocations were definitely close to each other in Lansdowne, but I didn't think the same arrangement was made for Croke Park, or at least I haven't been able to find anything out about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The LOI clubs don't have supporters group that travel to Ireland games en-masse as the English clubs would do.

What's that got to do with Ireland home games? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

podge018 wrote: »
    embarrassing that this is deemed necessary and that by singing normally you are made feel awkward

Indeed but it's the way of the world now, especially with all these new stadia have seperated all the diehards who once sat together.

The City of Manchester Stadium is dull as fuck in comparison to Maine Road and the Emirates now has a designated singing section.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What's that got to do with Ireland home games? :confused:

The word travel may be causing confusion, I meant "go to home games together". As Xavi correctly points out, modern stadia and ticketing policies have broken up the traditional idea of sitting with all your mates/like minded fans at a game and creating an atmosphere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This idea works well on the Kop,not sure if it will work for Ireland games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

All the LOI allocations were definitely close to each other in Lansdowne, but I didn't think the same arrangement was made for Croke Park, or at least I haven't been able to find anything out about it?
    All together in Croker too. It's where most of the atmosphere/signing comes from too.

All together in Croker too. It's where most of the atmosphere/signing comes from too.

Are they? Which section? I thought, based on the crap atmosphere, that the fans were spread all over the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Indeed but it's the way of the world now, especially with all these new stadia have seperated all the diehards who once sat together.

The City of Manchester Stadium is dull as fuck in comparison to Maine Road and the Emirates now has a designated singing section.
    What new seating arrangements were there in the City of Manchester Stadium over Maine Road? Surely people spoke to each other when buying new season tickets and decided to sit in a similar location.

It's seating and high roofs (acoustics) in stadiums that have changed the atmosphere, not people not sitting with their mates.

Are they? Which section? I thought, based on the crap atmosphere, that the fans were spread all over the shop.
    Towards the back of the lower davin. Pathetic amount of tickets given to the clubs by the FAI though.

Towards the back of the lower davin. Pathetic amount of tickets given to the clubs by the FAI though.

Hopefully this will improve it then, my current tickets are up in the Upper Hogan amongst all kinds from opponent support to random couples out for the evening. Can be entertaining watching the birds climb the stairs in high heels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Good idea, I'm definitely going to transfer to the section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

How do you mean Des? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SectionF wrote: »
    How do you mean Des? :)

I mean it's inconceiveably pathetic that the so called "best fans in the world" need a contrived "singing section" so they don't feel awkward in showing support for their team.

Pandering to the small mindedness of the typical football fan in this country. The type of person who told me to sit down and shut up the last time I went to an Ireland match.

I'll never go back.

What next? Piped in cheering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Des wrote: »
    the so called "best fans in the world"
    Since when? Who said this, apart from you?
    a contrived "singing section" so they don't feel awkward in showing support for their team.
    This is the same with many stadia across the globe.

Ireland have only been in Croke Park two years, so they've only just come to the conclusion as to where would be best to seat them.
    Pandering to the small mindedness of the typical football fan in this country.
    As I said already, many clubs across the globe do this. The Kop is essentially a singing section, and historically a place for rowdy men who wanted to go to the game and be boistrous. That has now spread to the rest of the stadium and some of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at sporting events have come in Anfield.
    I'll never go back.
    Good, your country doesn't need you nor want you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

well to be honest it is a bit aquard when your at a match and you want to sing, but you look around and theres no one singing with you, instead just looking at you as if you had to much drink or something. i think its a good idea. our away support is allways good, not so much our home support since moving into croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Is the Davin Stand where the bingo-bango muppets on their trumpets, etc... are? And the goon with the bell.:rolleyes:

No matter what the FAI, YBIG, or anyone does there will never be a proper decent atmosphere at Ireland home matches. The plastic paddys and their "Come on You Boys In Green" and the usual and ever present "Olé, Olé Olé Olé, Olé, Olé" along with the trumpets, drums, bells, flutes and whatever instruments are played at the matches nowdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LOL. Myself and my mate have a block subscription in the Cusack, and only asked for (and got) a transfer to the Davin the other day because we were sick of people looking at us weirdly in the morgue of a section that we were stuck in, and thought the Davin looked a bit more lively.

@Gav: here is a stadium plan to show you where the Davin is.

The Kop is essentially a singing section, and historically a place for rowdy men who wanted to go to the game and be boistrous. That has now spread to the rest of the stadium and some of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at sporting events have come in Anfield.
    Exhibit one on why not to have a singing section. Pathetic. Case rested.

Cue every wise arse now in Croker arguing with their blocking neighbours as they mouth about "if you want to sing sit in the singing section".

Pathetic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is the Davin Stand where the bingo-bango muppets on their trumpets, etc... are? And the goon with the bell.:rolleyes:

No matter what the FAI, YBIG, or anyone does there will never be a proper decent atmosphere at Ireland home matches. The plastic paddys and their "Come on You Boys In Green" and the usual and ever present "Olé, Olé Olé Olé, Olé, Olé" along with the trumpets, drums, bells, flutes and whatever instruments are played at the matches nowdays.

I would have to agree,I don't think I have ever heard a good atmosphere at a Ireland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pandering to the small mindedness of the typical football fan in this country.

LOL it was Eircom League fans who lobbied for this.

So maybe you are correct :D

dreamers75 wrote: »

Hardly, as LoI fans who bought tickets through their clubs already has a section.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I mean it's inconceiveably pathetic that the so called "best fans in the world" need a contrived "singing section" so they don't feel awkward in showing support for their team.

Pandering to the small mindedness of the typical football fan in this country. The type of person who told me to sit down and shut up the last time I went to an Ireland match.

I'll never go back.

Grow up tbh, seriously.

The guy with the bell has been going to Ireland games for a VERY long time and I think deserves a bit more respect than you are offering him.

Do we have any alternative songs to sing other than the two you mentioned? I mean, nobody is stopping the LOI fans singing their own incredibly original Irish national team songs at Ireland home games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bluetonic wrote: »
    What new seating arrangements were there in the City of Manchester Stadium over Maine Road? Surely people spoke to each other when buying new season tickets and decided to sit in a similar location.

It's seating and high roofs (acoustics) in stadiums that have changed the atmosphere, not people not sitting with their mates.

They weren't given the option to by the club AFAIK. City weren't happy with some of the carry on of the 'old brigade' and purposely wouldn't give them seats in the areas. It completely nulified any atmosphere.

The guy with the bell has been going to Ireland games for a VERY long time and I think deserves a bit more respect than you are offering him.

Do we have any alternative songs to sing other than the two you mentioned? I mean, nobody is stopping the LOI fans singing their own incredibly original Irish national team songs at Ireland home games.

'Fields of Athenry'? :pac:

Do we have any alternative songs to sing other than the two you mentioned?

How about showing some respect to the guy with the bell?
    I'm glad you're home
    Now did you really miss me
    I guess you did by the look in your eyes (look in your eyes, look in your eyes)
    Well lay back and relax while I put away the dishes (put away the dishes)
    Then you and me can rock-a-bye

You can ring my be-e-ell, ring my bell

The night is young and full of possibilities
    Well come on and let yourself be free
    My love for you, so long than I've been savin'
    Tonight was made for me and you

you can ring my bell, you can ring my bell
    (ding, dong, ding, do-ong)
    (ding, dong, ding, do-ong, ring it!)
    you can ring my bell, anytime, anyway
    (ring it, ring it, ring it, ring it oww!)

(ding, dong, ding, do-ong, ring it!)
    (ring it, ring it, ring it, ring it oww!)

Bluetonic wrote: »
    How about showing some respect to the guy with the bell?

While I sense you are being sarcastic, that isn't the worst idea I ever heard. Organising support at international games is a lot more difficult than club games. The fact that you don't have nearly as many rivals, know the opponent players very well a lot of the time and don't regularly watch the team with the other supporters certainly doesn't help.

Sure, the English fans sing God Save The Queen during matches!

CHD wrote: »
    Grow up tbh, seriously.

Des is right.

It's pathetic to be told to shut up when you're shouting at a game. Nearly always by the kind of 'fan' who will f*ck off the minute the team is doing badly.

A good atmo can only be helpful for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'll never go back.

It's the same at Celtic games. The for most Eastern European teams in big stadiums actually.

The good thing is the next 2 games are at night. It's a lot more enjoyable having a sing song after a few drinks.

Think you might have missed a few away games in your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

If the FAI rejected the proposal, people would be giving out like hell about them not caring enough about the diehard supporters.

The FAI have given the supporters what they wanted, and what do some of you do? You give out like hell about them. Why? I'm still not exactly sure :confused:

Its a fantastic idea, and while the FAI have made some moronic decisions in the past, I don't see how ANYONE can give out about it. It benefits every part concerned. Nobody loses out on the decision.

Irrational criticism of Irish football by some people on this forum once again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'll never go back.

God man, you speak so condescendingly about fair-weather supporters all over this forum and now you're saying you refuse to ever go to another Ireland match because somebody told you to sit down!?

I'd nearly have more respect for the guy who leaves cos we're losing tbh...

What I find pathetic is the other 95% of the stadium who don't want to sing/cheer/get behind the team who will now sit back, cross their arms and listen to the little orchestra in one pocket of the stadium create their atmosphere for them. It stinks.

Lets be fair, a lot of people going to matches are not stereotypical football fans (i.e. men travelling alone). You get a lot of fathers bringing 1+ young children with them to games, older men who have been supporting Ireland since the first time we were not very good.

You can't expect the entire ground to sing, that happens nowhere on earth, except maybe at certain clubs where they play particular songs via tannoy and have fans join in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

podge018 wrote: »
    What I find pathetic is the other 95% of the stadium who don't want to sing/cheer/get behind the team who will now sit back, cross their arms and listen to the little orchestra in one pocket of the stadium create their atmosphere for them. It stinks.

Sure does, but like Xavi said, thats the way footballs gone at the moment.

But then agian, I'd much rather 2 thousand people in the corner singing their hearts out than the atmospheres Crokers been like the past number of games.

Lets be fair, a lot of people going to matches are not stereotypical football fans (i.e. men travelling alone). You get a lot of fathers bringing 1+ young children with them to games, older men who have been supporting Ireland since the first time we were not very good.

And what exactly is stopping these people making some noise?
    You can't expect the entire ground to sing, that happens nowhere on earth, except maybe at certain clubs where they play particular songs via tannoy and have fans join in.

There is loads of songs and chants where all the fans join in at Anfield and Dalymount, the 2 grounds I know well.

• Advertisement

Croker doesn't really help with the vastness of the ground and the distance from the pitch. It's really suited to a full house.

Even 50k fans seem lost in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Agreed. For once :p I was at the Cyprus game and we couldnt get anything started, in fact the only one that got a good response in our section was Stand Up For the Boys in Green (which I didnt bother with myself. Cos its sh1te). In fact most of the crowd in our part seemed half arsed, it was ourselves and some lad of about 9 behind us doing the majority of the shouting, you could hear a pin drop at times. Having said that some people were lucky enough to be sat in sections where we could hear alot of energy, chants and songs going off, god knows how we drew our awful section. All in all I got the feeling that if i was playing I wouldnt exactly feel like the crowd was behind us.

Dare I say it, Croker needs to sell drink to get these folks going. Will Landsdowne sell it? For all the buzzword of barstooling here your local pub probably had a better atmosphere than the actual stadium that night.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Hardly, as LoI fans who bought tickets through their clubs already has a section.
    Initially it was lobbied for by the NLSA in 2006, before we played our first match in Croker. FAI said they would include 'singing section' on block booking forms but did not do so. NLSA went 'meh' and weren't too bothered to push the FAI further. Now, as said in the original post, it was members of YBIG that pushed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

"best fans in the world"
    Not even the best fans in the British Isles.
    Ireland have only been in Croke Park two years, so they've only just come to the conclusion as to where would be best to seat them.
    There's a general convention in football that fans who want to sing/shout go behind the goals, where tickets are often cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Love the sponsored t-shirts lads.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Seriously? Eircom on the t shirts? They should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyways, it's just going to be a bunch of arseholes like the ones that would go to Hill 16 for the Dublin games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I refuse to join in with ole ole. But if someone is making an effort to help the atmosphere, fair play to them.
    Love the sponsored t-shirts lads.:rolleyes:
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Seriously? Eircom on the t shirts? They should be ashamed of themselves.
    You should be used to eircom sticking their name on everything by now, a reason that lots of people don't have replica jerseys. At least the big screen now shows the match and the odd replay, a while ago it was just a static eircom logo for the whole game. Actually, think it was the last game (poland) when there was a bad tackle and a player was down getting treatment. The action on the big screen stopped, and everyone was glued to it to see the replay and get a good view of what happened. You could hear the groan around the stadium when it showed an eircom add instead of the replay:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i had a friend get shushed at a game before....

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I refuse to join in with ole ole. But if someone is making an effort to help the atmosphere, fair play to them.

Hardly, they're a bunch of morons trying to create an atmosphere, they wouldn't know a proper atmosphere if it kicked them in the balls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement