Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croker Singing Section confirmed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SantryRed wrote: »
    Anyways, it's just going to be a bunch of arseholes like the ones that would go to Hill 16 for the Dublin games.
    It'll be the same type of arseholes that go to the away games I suppose. Brilliant craic. Sorry you wouldn't know. Football and fun hand in hand? Nah not possible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Hardly, they're a bunch of morons trying to create an atmosphere, they wouldn't know a proper atmosphere if it kicked them in the balls.
    Like you get a savage atmosphere down at Tolka these day :rolleyes:

League of Ireland fans complain that there is no atmosphere at Ireland games so they don't go. A few lads try and create something from scratch in acknowledgement of the lack of atmosphere and we get people complaining.

They aren't the morons here.

Hardly, they're a bunch of morons trying to create an atmosphere, they wouldn't know a proper atmosphere if it kicked them in the balls.
    Oh, oh, oh. Get your arse to the away games so (You can hear the bleedin fans sing on the telly if you actually watch Ireland games). Get off your ****in high horse. My blood is boiling here. Very close to getting myself banned by reacting so I'll leave it.

League of Ireland fans - Making the divide grow bigger and bigger...

By the way, this singing section got nothing but positive feedback on a popular Celtic forum who'd all like to see something similar at Celtic Park. LOI fans really have to realise there's only 1 reason why they're critisising this idea. But we're all arseholes and morons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A few saturday evening kickoffs and there'llb e great atmosphere. Everyone will be locked. That's why away games are so good, people spend the day in the pub before the match.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Seriously? Eircom on the t shirts? They should be ashamed of themselves.
    You're the one who calls the League of Ireland the Eircom League. It's called the Eircom league of Ireland. The top league in England is called the Barclays Premier league. Don't hear many people calling it the Barclays league.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    You're the one who calls the League of Ireland the Eircom League. It's called the Eircom league of Ireland. The top league in England is called the Barclays Premier league. Don't hear many people calling it the Barclays league.

It's commonly referred to as the Eircom League by everyone! IMHO, very different than the YBIG lads acting as walking advertisements. Plenty of people call the english league cup the Carling Cup. Although I despise eircom, so I'm going to make a conscious effort to the league "The League of Ireland"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Like you get a savage atmosphere down at Tolka these day :rolleyes:

League of Ireland fans complain that there is no atmosphere at Ireland games so they don't go. A few lads try and create something from scratch in acknowledgement of the lack of atmosphere and we get people complaining.

They aren't the morons here.

There's a different between having 80,000 and 1,000 fans to make an atmosphere. But 80,000 fans singing "C'mon You Boys in Green" or "Ole Ole Ole" wouldn't be what I'd call an atmosphere.

Most LoI fans I'd say not to choose going to Ireland matches as they feel they don't have much of a connection with a team complied of English/Scottish based players, sitting in Croker or Lansdowne surrounded by prawn sandwich eaters.
    Oh, oh, oh. Get your arse to the away games so (You can hear the bleedin fans sing on the telly if you actually watch Ireland games). Get off your ****in high horse. My blood is boiling here. Very close to getting myself banned by reacting so I'll leave it.

League of Ireland fans - Making the divide grow bigger and bigger...

I'd rather not waste my money. And by the way this topic is about a signing section in Croker which them jolly good lads in YBIG had to get permission for, not an away match. I'm not debating the atmosphere sounds a million times better at away matches, because most of them would be genuine fans.
    By the way, this singing section got nothing but positive feedback on a popular Celtic forum who'd all like to see something similar at Celtic Park. LOI fans really have to realise there's only 1 reason why they're critisising this idea. But we're all arseholes and morons...

Well they have two singing sections sort of speak, the Green Brigade section and the Jungle Bhoys section.

Yes but do you see our fan groups getting eircom/FAI sponsored t-shirts?:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Most LoI fans I'd say not to choose going to Ireland matches as they feel they don't have much of a connection with a team complied of English/Scottish based players, sitting in Croker or Lansdowne surrounded by prawn sandwich eaters.

proof in the pudding there. dont think these type of fans like football at all, to them it seems more a social thing.
    arent you glad that these irish players are playing in the high calibre leagues? isnt that what footballers aspire to do?
    and once again we have it - prawn sandwich eaters. a random insult to people that want to support their country. yeah man! f**k them for trying to enjoy entertainment! they dont know how to do it right, u do. well f**kin done.

your so f**kin football it actually permeates through my monitor and dazzles my puny Level 4 eyes. to merely be able to quote some one who is Level 11 is an honour and a privilege. please, advise me - how do i like football properly? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You're the one who calls the League of Ireland the Eircom League. .

Eircom are pulling the plug on the league sponsorship, but sticking with the national team. It's pretty galling for LOI fans to see them using the lads (who mean well, no doubt) there for a publicity opportunity when they won't keep up a fairly modest sponsorship a a time when the league is on its knees. And it's sad to see the lads acquiescing. It will also annoy a lot of the LOI fans that they are appealing to for attendance.

And please don't say something about business or product. We know.

Nice hat on your man there as well. Would have thought they would have rustled up some nice South African themed ones though.

Jazzy wrote: »
    proof in the pudding there. dont think these type of fans like football at all, to them it seems more a social thing.
    arent you glad that these irish players are playing in the high calibre leagues? isnt that what footballers aspire to do?
    and once again we have it - prawn sandwich eaters. a random insult to people that want to support their country. yeah man! f**k them for trying to enjoy entertainment! they dont know how to do it right, u do. well f**kin done.

your so f**kin football it actually permeates through my monitor and dazzles my puny Level 4 eyes. to merely be able to quote some one who is Level 11 is an honour and a privilege. please, advise me - how do i like football properly? :confused:

Ohhh, Mr. Grumpy pants - must have got out of the wrong side of the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jimmyboy

stovelid wrote: »
    Would have thought they would have rustled up some nice South African themed ones though.

Don't bad mouth 'THE HAT!'

http://ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1673

Man you're an annoyin ****er
    These 'morons' are the people that go to all the away games.
    I'm sure these lads never saw any bit of atmosphere at Montenegro or Mainz thid year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I cant believe I missed this :( Lets call them up and see if they'll still let me in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You can get tickets on ticketmaster for it PHB

People are trying to get something going and all the usual moan and whine brigade on here do is that whine and moan and not true fans and yada ****ing yada.

I'm love my local league and team as much as the next man but some one here ye really are a broken record at this stage the usual piss and vinegar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cool, just got in :)

People need to get over themselves.
    Stadiums used to be great because of standing and like minded people who want to sign all match could stand next to each other.

When stadiums moved to seated, everyone knows the atmosphere got worse. The famous streford end and the kop were known as the singing sections, why? Because they normally had the cheaper seats, indeed the Streford end still does.

However then people started selling all the tickets at the same prices, and generally upping prices so much that nobody normal could get in, the stadium got worse again. Aside from poorer people not getting in [who lets be honest, tend to be more hardcore supporters for whatever reason] it spread people around again.

This is a damm good solution. There are many 2000 Irish fans who are happy to sing all match throughout the game, I'd say at best. When yous spread those out and surround them with 70000 other fans who normally just stare at them, those 2000 tend to be more likely to sit down.

Put those 2000 together and they'll all keep singing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

PHB wrote: »
    Put those 2000 together and they'll all keep singing.
    What are they going to sing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CiaranC wrote: »

Come on you Boys in Green

Ireland clap clap clap

clapclap, clapclapclapclap, clapclapclapclap, Ireland

The Fields of Athenry (Sinn Fein, IRA)

BOOOOOO - to rangers players

Keano, Keano

Team of Gary Breens

Olé Olé Olé

We're all part of Trappi's Army

pmsl

muppets

Seriously Des, if you get any more bitter you will turn into a walking lemon ;)

They could do a pitch invasion at the end, or smash up a chipper or threaten kids by themselves.. oh wait sorry it isn't shels we are talking about...

See its fun to tar everyone with the same brush.

• Advertisement

Seriously Des, if you get any more bitter you will turn into a walking lemon ;)

er, what?

Are they not songs which are regularly to be heard at Ireland games?

How the hell is that being bitter?

Someone asked a question, I answered it.

I'd rather not waste my money. And by the way this topic is about a signing section in Croker which them jolly good lads in YBIG had to get permission for, not an away match. I'm not debating the atmosphere sounds a million times better at away matches, because most of them would be genuine fans.
    And this singing section is going to be made up of the type of people that go to the away games. My exact point.
    Can't remember there being much of a problem at many away games.

Shelbourne have a bunch of songwriters in their fanbase. They wouldn't dare sing Shelbourne clap clap clap.

Can't remember there being much of a problem at many away games.
    What do they sing?
    They wouldn't dare sing Shelbourne clap clap clap.
    Well thats because they have, you know, songs.

Don't wanna keep postin links to another forum.

http://ybig.ie/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4997

Couple of good ones in there.

Des wrote: »

Ireland clap clap clap

Keano, Keano

Team of Gary Breens

Olé Olé Olé

You forgot -
    Trapatoni's green and white army.
    I sit beside the dundalk fans, the last game they kept singing the sinn fein bit in fields of athenry. They were fairly hammered, but most people were looking on in disgust.

Just in general Des, bitter is the wrong word for it but seriously there are more important things to worry about. They are the songs that get an airing. People are trying to get more aired, for once there will be a group of people together and not scattered around the stadium having to worry about people shouting to sit down and be quiet etc.

I was as pissed off as anyone in the years gone by at International games and this was something a lot of people were hoping for and now it is a possibility to be beside people of a like minded nature. I hope it goes well for them, Rome wasnt built in a day etc...

Some day they may rise to the dizzy heights as us lyrical masterminds that are the League of Ireland.....

Fair enough, lets see what comes of it. Id say it will just peter out like the last time this was attempted under Kerr, but you never know.

Personally not bothered with going to see this crowd in Croke Park. Sure if they look like winning Ill just jump on the bandwagon. Its the Boards soccer way!

If if they win and qualify sure we can high five each other Ciaran with our inflatable green hands whilst wearing our finest leprechaun costume ;)

Sarcasm... they actually do sing Shelbourne clap clap clap. :rolleyes:
    What do they sing?
    On The One Road, Come on you boys in Green, Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile, Stand up for the Boys in Green, Fields of Athenry, All you need is Duff, Robbie Keane Song, Que Sera Sera, and whatever comes to mind in the course of a match - "there's only one blah, blah, blah".

What do you sing at matches?

On the one road got a good airing over in Mainz.

• Advertisement

On the one road got a good airing over in Mainz.
    It's the "official" song for this singing section so we all better know the words. :) The Irish team will come out onto the pitch to this song against Georgia and Bulgaria.

On The One Road, Come on you boys in Green, Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile, Stand up for the Boys in Green, Fields of Athenry, All you need is Duff, Robbie Keane Song, Que Sera Sera, and whatever comes to mind in the course of a match - "there's only one blah, blah, blah".

What do you sing at matches?
    And many more hopefully
    Don't forget the one for Killer to the tune of the torres song.

Btw this is now Oró Se Trappatoni:pac:

Not a big fan of copying the likes of the torres song etc and changing them for Ireland. Each to their own and all of that sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Des wrote: »

Average. Not as bad as Stand Up...

Ireland clap clap clap

Again, average.

ra bit aside exactly what is wrong with singing this one?

And coming from someone whos previous username was Sean South this is a bit rich :confused:

Part and parcel of football anywhere is to boo players who are either unpopular for personality (Ashley Cole for example) or from a strong rival team (although they dont play in our league, we shall assume, thanks to the behaviour of alot of Gers in the stands over the years, that Rangers is traditionally anti Irish.)
    Olé Olé Olé

Now, this one I dont get. Exactly what is wrong with singing a song always associated with Irish footballs highest point in history? What songs make your own list so?

I admit the fact we need a singing section is a sad indictment of many of thos who go to Croker probably expecting to see 4 plus goals but come on like.
    Most LoI fans I'd say not to choose going to Ireland matches as they feel they don't have much of a connection with a team complied of English/Scottish based players,

You`re having a fcuking laugh.

Really.

Being an EL fan does not make you a prouder Irishman- it just makes you a prouder resident of your clubs traditional catchment area. Quit confusing the two.

Anyway, lectures on Irish pride from someone who suggested bringing a union jack to the Celtic- Shels friendly. Mother of jesus......
    It's the "official" song for this singing section so we all better know the words. :) The Irish team will come out onto the pitch to this song against Georgia and Bulgaria.

We nearly got thrown out of a pub in Sydney last month for singing it too loudly during a Sunday all dayer :D

Ill say it again, if the FAI want the crowd fired up they need booze in the stadium.

Not a big fan of copying the likes of the torres song etc and changing them for Ireland. Each to their own and all of that sure.

Ah c'mon! Look at most teams chants. There all just copy of each others.
    Sure Liverpool's Torres song was copied from the one about John O'Shea

Why can't we sing this at Croker:

The Ireland flag is white and green
    After Liverpool, they're my favourite team
    and though I've never been over there
    there's an arse-print on my pub chair

We'll never die.. we'll never die...
    we'll keep the green flag flying high...
    while we are here they'll never die
    just so long as they qualify

Cos if upon a world cup I can't spy
    where the fuck will I sing about Athenry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Why can't we sing this at Croker:

The Ireland flag is white and green
    After Liverpool, they're my favourite team
    and though I've never been over there
    there's an arse-print on my pub chair

Cos if upon a world cup I can't spy
    where the fuck will I sing about Athenry?

where did ya get that? after the first verse its pretty sh'it to be fair! Was expecting it to be better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So for my first (and most likely only) Ireland game in Croker I will be greeted by a 'singing section' that will be defined by lads in eircom sponsored t-shirts? Lovely

Trilla wrote: »
    where did ya get that?)

Made it up based on:

The rovers flag is white and green
    Its colours draped our glorious team
    and though our Milltown home is gone
    our flag defiant still flies strong

we'll keep the green flag flying high
    'cos shamrock rovers will never die

Although a good few English teams - including United - have we'll never die/flag flying high songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Made it up based on:

we'll keep the green flag flying high
    'cos shamrock rovers will never die

Although a good few English teams - including United - have we'll never die/flag flying high songs.

Remember you lot singing this around the time of examinership/court case.

Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Actually...
    Sarcasm... they actually do sing Shelbourne clap clap clap. :rolleyes:

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So for my first (and most likely only) Ireland game in Croker I will be greeted by a 'singing section' that will be defined by lads in eircom sponsored t-shirts? Lovely

Don't go then, aren't you only Irish on the Granny Rule anyway? :p

Draupnir wrote: »
    Don't go then, aren't you only Irish on the Granny Rule anyway? :p

lol

There'll be Eircom sponsored T-Shirts all around the stadium and has been for some time. :confused: I'm guessing it was the FAI that got these T-Shirts made for the launch. I'm absolutely bewildered as to what's wrong with that.

I cannot believe im agreeing with Eirebhoy..! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There'll be Eircom sponsored T-Shirts all around the stadium and has been for some time. :confused: I'm guessing it was the FAI that got these T-Shirts made for the launch. I'm absolutely bewildered as to what's wrong with that.

I just don't like the whoring that the FAI do to eircom. Logos on replica shirts? Disgraceful imo.

/shrug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I just don't like the whoring that the FAI do to eircom. Logos on replica shirts? Disgraceful imo.

/shrug

its money innit?

Because the FAI must be one of the few associations that would allow a sponsor to ditch the league (when it's in serious trouble) and stay with the national team without demurring, even in a token way.

I'd be surprised if any LOI fans would wear one in the circumstances, but I accept that non-LOI fans would see (or care about) the connection.

/shrug
    That's the FAI though. You said "defined by lads in eircom sponsored t-shirts". You can't blame the lads on YBIG for wearing the T-Shirts. I have my own eircom sponsored jersey too. I'd rather have no sponser on shirts but if you ask me we have one of the more visually attractive sponsors on our jerseys. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I did not hear much from this section (or any section) last night.Irish fans are not suited to it by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement