Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croker Singing Section confirmed

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

In fairness no one was going to be arsed singing when the team's a goal down after 80 seconds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Xavi6 wrote: »
    In fairness no one was going to be arsed singing when the team's a goal down after 80 seconds.

Some of the best atmosphere's I have been in have been when Liverpool have been behind,thats when your team needs you the most.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Some of the best atmosphere's I have been in have been when Liverpool have been behind,thats when your team needs you the most.

To be fair, Anfield and the Kop is slightly different to an Irish international where fans aren't exactly renowned for their vocal support.

Tbh the first notable noise out of the crowd were the disgraceful boos at half time. That says it all really.

To be fair, Anfield and the Kop is slightly different to an Irish international where fans aren't exactly renowned for their vocal support.

Tbh the first notable noise out of the crowd were the disgraceful boos at half time. That says it all really.

Point taken.

Was anybody in the section..?sometimes these kind of things don't come across well on TV.

It was empty at first and got to just over half full from what I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Look, national fans are never ever going to be as a good as club fans.

I think nearly every United player has a song of their own, and if they don't, somebody is currently working on it. Then there are at least 5-6 well known by nearly the entire crowd general songs. Ireland will never have that, because we don't have enough games. This is especially problematic because even if the away fans learn more songs, the home ones will never get to know them.

The singing section I thought did well yesterday. I thought that before the match, there was the best atmosphere I've ever heard at Croker. Then the goal deflated everyone a good bit, just because it was shocking defending. But when the team started to play some football, the crowd got into it.

Some of the best atmosphere's I've ever seen in football was when United were coming from behind, but at hte same time, I've also seem some of the worst. The same is true of Liverpool, lots of games when they've been dire at home Anfield has been silent. It's natural.

We don't do too badly imo, and I thought the singing section made a big difference last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The atmosphere was a decent improvement on all the games in Croke Park so far. Although I was in the Davin, so perhaps somebody in another part of the ground would have a better idea of what it sounded like. The size of the place won't lend itself to noise, especially when the place isn't near full.

The boos were a bad call - moronic really. Some of the atmo just leading up to the second goal really gave the team a visible boost, and you can only wonder what a full house would sound like giving it socks.

stovelid wrote: »
    The atmosphere was a decent improvement on all the games in Croke Park so far. Although I was in the Davin, so perhaps somebody in another part of the ground would have a better idea of what it sounded like. The size of the place won't lend itself to noise, especially when the place isn't near full.

The boos were a bad call - moronic really. Some of the atmo just leading up to the second goal really gave the team a visible boost, and you can only wonder what a full house would sound like giving it socks.

Isn't the capacity 73,000 when you take away the Hill? The attendance last night was in and around 65,000 so that's pretty close to being full.

I'm sorry, that place was nowhere near full. I couldn't see the upper tier, but the lower tier was at best 80% full, at best, I'd say more like 70%

Isn't the capacity 73,000 when you take away the Hill? The attendance last night was in and around 65,000 so that's pretty close to being full.

Didn't realise that it was 65k? Thought I saw more empty seats than that. Apologies.

That said, I was factoring in the empty Hill too.

I think Croker is one of those places that needs to have a full and very vocal (a-la All Ireland day) crowd as not to seem too vast. The distance from the pitch doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

There was no way there were 65,000 there, I read 45,000 in the Irish Times today which seems more accurate.

I thought the singing section did well given their numbers compared to the size of the stadium. The atmosphere was a bit flat early on, perharps understandably after the Georgia goal, but it got quite good in the second half.

carlop wrote: »
    There was no way there were 65,000 there, I read 45,000 in the Irish Times today which seems more accurate.

We had guessed about 50+k last night ourselves, ourselves.

Like I said, I thought it seemed much noisier than usual, but couldn't tell if it was because I was in the Davin and close to it.

I'm only going on a few sites like BBC that said 65k. Could be wrong.

Both sides did look fairly full though so I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

How much were tickets last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

3,000 euro.

How much were tickets last night?

Ours were 50 quid. We have a block book, and had previously been paying 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

stovelid wrote: »
    Ours were 50 quid. We have a block book, and had previously been paying 70.

That's kind of the problem.

A full stadium with cheaper tickets would give a better atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm only going on a few sites like BBC that said 65k. Could be wrong.

Both sides did look fairly full though so I don't know.

I saw 65k on the bbc as well actually, I'll go have a look in the paper again maybe I misread. Either way it didn't seem like 65k in the stadium, there was a fair few empty seats in the Cusack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I sang and eveyone around me sang. Pity the video of the match I downloaded is uneditable because you could give me any 5 minute period in the game and I cut pick out an audible song from that period (but you have to remember that there was 700 of us in a gigantic open stadium so it's not going to be anything special). Non stop from start to finish and plenty of people with sore throats this morning. Anyway, for the first match I was delighted. I really wasn't expecting us to sing for the 90 minutes.
    As soon as that happened the Singing section start singing and encouraging the players which was great.

Anyway, this song started to really get going as the match went on so listen out for it next month:

We Love You ¦ We Love You ¦ We Love You
    Ireland’s Who We Follow ¦ We Follow ¦ We Follow ¦
    Cause We Support our Country ¦ Our Country ¦ Our Country
    And That's the Way we Like it ¦ We Like It ¦ We Like It
    Wooo oh ooh ohh ohh oohhhhhhhh ¦ ¦
    Weeeeeeeeeeee Love You, We Love You, We love You....

St Pauli version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

69,000 without the hill, I'm being pedantic i know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The singing section done a brutal job last night I thought. I wasnt sitting too far from them and apart from the guys with the drums they were not up to much. I cant believe the crap in the papers today about the singing section. Maybe on tv it sounded ok but not in the stadium it didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No it sounded sh1te on tv too. Not their fault. Not as if they know how tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Couldnt hear the fans on the tv untill half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

carlop wrote: »
    I saw 65k on the bbc as well actually, I'll go have a look in the paper again maybe I misread. Either way it didn't seem like 65k in the stadium, there was a fair few empty seats in the Cusack.

44,800 odd was announced by RTE during the game, which seemed right by the amount of empty seat that I could see from the TV.

It's good to see that a 50k Aivia Stadium will be plenty big enough to more than accommodate the real soccer fans in the country then.

ciaran76 wrote: »

Thats another thing I read in the papers today about booing at half time. I was sitting beside the Ireland dugout and hand over heart I heard nothing of the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

ah well the begrudgers are out anyway:rolleyes:

the comment from a liverpool fan in ireland telling us 'that irish people don't know how to do it' was funny considering that for a club team the atmosphere at anfield is the worst i have ever seen. ive been to matches right across europe and liverpool vs charlton was the most depressing exuse for an atmosphere i ever witnessed.

anladmór wrote: »
    ah well the begrudgers are out anyway:rolleyes:

the comment from a liverpool fan in ireland telling us 'that irish people don't know how to do it' was funny considering that for a club team the atmosphere at anfield is the worst i have ever seen. ive been to matches right across europe and liverpool vs charlton was the most depressing exuse for an atmosphere i ever witnessed.

So you went to one bad game at Anfield and you would conceder it a good sample size..?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

So you went to one bad game at Anfield and you would conceder it a good sample size..?

To be fair aside from the RTK blocks Anfield is pretty shocking for the majority of games, and the team and even players are sometimes booed as well.

To be fair aside from the RTK blocks Anfield is pretty shocking for the majority of games, and the team and even players are sometimes booed as well.

I agree its not great for some non crucial games ,but to say 'the atmosphere at anfield is the worst' after been to one bad game is a bit far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I agree its not great for some non crucial games ,but to say 'the atmosphere at anfield is the worst' after been to one bad game is a bit far fetched.

Fair enough, anyhow back on topic, will the singing section be done in Landsdowne Road as well when it's ready does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

44,800 odd was announced by RTE during the game, which seemed right by the amount of empty seat that I could see from the TV.
    Think it said 49,246 on the board at half time last night, still noticed quite alot of empty seats in Davin alright!! It didnt sound too bad though from Lower Hogan a bit behind the Georgian dugout, my own opinion obviously :)

I'd really like to hear a full house singing along to either a soccer or GAA game in Páirc An Chrócaigh:D

Think it said 49,246 on the board at half time last night, still noticed quite alot of empty seats in Davin alright!! It didnt sound too bad though from Lower Hogan a bit behind the Georgian dugout, my own opinion obviously :)

I'd really like to hear a full house singing along to either a soccer or GAA game in Páirc An Chrócaigh:D

A lot of the premium level was empty last night and about half the boxes were in total darkness. there was empty patches all over the Cusack and Davin. Not sure about the Hogan as I was sitting in it and couldnt see obviously.

Sidenote: There was a gang of knackers in the upper Hogan spitting down to the lower Hogan all Match. Luckily the all went a few rows in front. Some poor chap got it on the head and another on the shoulder. Some big chap must have been a good 16st or so nearly got it and turned round looked up at them with the most psycho looking stare and like magic no more spitting (that was like only 10mins left)

ciaran76 wrote: »
    wtf? Half time was the only period we didn't sing. :confused: I have the TV version of the match here on the PC. I can hear us constantly singing. You have to actually listen out for us because we're obviously not going to be loud but I can definitely hear us for the entire 90 minutes. I'm sure you heard a song or two from the crowd anyway and it all started from our section. Every song started in our section.

It's been a long, long time since I've looked forward to a home game as much as next month. Wednesday was a brilliant start and I can't wait for the Bulgaria match now. It really makes a difference to your enjoyment. I don't give a shíte what the silent tossers are saying. A few hundred of us sang from start to finish. Whether you heard us or not the atmosphere in our section was brilliant. After the 2nd goal it was party time with people dancing on their seats, and the scarves waving. Loved it and didn't want to leave tbh. :)

Think it said 49,246 on the board at half time last night, still noticed quite alot of empty seats in Davin alright!!
    That was the amount of tickets sold. Just 43,300 turned up. 53,000 were at the Cyprus match in October so obviously the recession plays a big part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

eirebhoy wrote: »
    wtf? Half time was the only period we didn't sing. :confused: I have the TV version of the match here on the PC. I can hear us constantly singing. You have to actually listen out for us because we're obviously not going to be loud but I can definitely hear us for the entire 90 minutes. I'm sure you heard a song or two from the crowd anyway and it all started from our section. Every song started in our section.

It's been a long, long time since I've looked forward to a home game as much as next month. Wednesday was a brilliant start and I can't wait for the Bulgaria match now. It really makes a difference to your enjoyment. I don't give a shíte what the silent tossers are saying. A few hundred of us sang from start to finish. Whether you heard us or not the atmosphere in our section was brilliant. After the 2nd goal it was party time with people dancing on their seats, and the scarves waving. Loved it and didn't want to leave tbh. :)
    Im probably the ultimate cynic when it comes to Ireland etc. but I noticed the singing on TV. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just a heads up boyos, if the team starts to do well, and looks like selling out either Croke Park or The Aviva Stadium (thank fúck for the name change by the way, I always had terrible trouble spelling the old name), expect the "singing" section to suddenly disappear, as more room for corporate style tickets is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It went well, need to get the chanting more organised. A lot done more to do as a certain Political Party once said.... There was a couple hundred of us singing the whole game. There were a lot there as well I think waiting to sit back and let it happen and not get involved.

As for the **** booing at half time I let me feelings on the subject be voiced as loudly as I could about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

eirebhoy wrote: »
    That was the amount of tickets sold. Just 43,300 turned up. 53,000 were at the Cyprus match in October so obviously the recession plays a big part.

Or the atmosphere at the Cyprus match. Put me off returning anyway, sections of the crowd were getting it going but our end was deathly. I think it is the only Ireland match Ive never heard Fields of Athenry at!

We tried to get a few going but nobody around was interested. Im glad I saw the lads play in such a large venue but the atmosphere was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Des wrote: »
    as more room for corporate style tickets is made.

eh?

you assume corporate tickets will be sold in this day and age. This is a good time to be a football fan. cheap tickets, cheap flights ;). my job not buying the 10 tickets to Aviva based on current situation, they had 10 for the last 10 year thing. Assume many others will do the same.

granted it means 10 more boo-ers in the stadium. But LOI clubs getting bigger allocation of tickets in the next few months. lets hope they dont take them back soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dreamers75 wrote: »
    cheap tickets

fifty quid is not cheap.

not by a long chalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Des wrote: »
    fifty quid is not cheap.

not by a long chalk

i meant in general not just FAI :o

I've uploaded the RTE audio of the few minutes after the Georgia goal. Have a listen.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/55620069d7c194dd/

Most of the crowd join in with a couple of the usual chants but it was the SS that got those chants going. Then listen exactly 2 minutes in. It's silence. That's the silence (with the exception of groans and shouts) you would have got for 70 minutes if it wasn't for us. 15-20 seconds later and you can hear the fields of athenry. It's not very loud but it's positive noise.

Chants can be heard all throughout the game on the RTE coverage so maybe many of you just weren't listening for it. Maybe a few hundred people singing just goes over your head but whether you realise it or not it does make a difference.

I just find it frustrating that I have the match here on my PC and I can hear us singing all throughout the game yet I go into work in Thursday and I get a bit of friendly stick because nobody heard anything of a singing section.

I'm sorry, but is there anyone who has gone to the last few internationals who didn't think that there was a noticable improvement in the last match?

Advertisement