Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 94 BJ PENN VS GSP ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options
  • 10-01-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

UFC 94 is almost here, can Gsp Bet BJ……

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Moved from SD/MA :)

:rolleyes:

If you're gonna start an event thread put some effort in by at least posting the card! :D

UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″
    Saturday, January 31, 2009, at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view (PPV)
    MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada

Main card:

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre vs. UFC Lightweight Champion B.J. Penn in a 170-pound title bout
    Lyoto Machida (13-0) vs. Thiago Silva (13-0)
    Stephan Bonnar (11-4) vs. Jon Jones (6-0)
    Nate Diaz (10-2) vs. Clay Guida (24-9)
    Karo Parisyan (18-5) vs. Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim (11-0-1)

Under card:

Jon Fitch (17-3) vs. Akihiro Gono (29-13-7)
    Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
    Chris Wilson (14-4) vs. John Howard (10-4)
    Jake O’Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
    Matt “No Regard” Arroyo (3-2) vs. Daniel Cramer (0-0)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is this on TV lads? Setanta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Excellent card.

Guida and diaz is gonna be a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Penn by submission, Thiago Silva by KO;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I think George Saint Pierre is going to "it im ard" and Bj Penn wont be able to "andle is rhythm". Come on GSP.

Normally I want to soke up the excellence of GSP but in this case I want a knock out in minute 1 of round 1. Please!!

I think George Saint Pierre is going to "it im ard" and Bj Penn wont be able to "andle is rhythm". Come on GSP.

Normally I want to soke up the excellence of GSP but in this case I want a knock out in minute 1 of round 1. Please!!
    Not for me..After all this hype im hoping for it to at least to go a few rounds. Bj sure has been talking some crap tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Not for me..After all this hype im hoping for it to at least to go a few rounds. Bj sure has been talking some crap tho...

Ill publicly eat a hat if GSP knocks out BJ.

War Penn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HOBO 83

Its a hard one to call, they both have the tools to pull it of on the night, hope we get to see a long hard battle.

lookin forward to the return of stephan bonner.

I'm rootin for BJ and think he'll win. It's weird cos I'm a MASSIVE fan of both guys but I'm 100% behind BJ for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hitman119

:rolleyes:

If you're gonna start an event thread put some effort in by at least posting the card! :D

UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2″
    Saturday, January 31, 2009, at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view (PPV)
    MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada

Main card:

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre vs. UFC Lightweight Champion B.J. Penn in a 170-pound title bout
    Lyoto Machida (13-0) vs. Thiago Silva (13-0)
    Stephan Bonnar (11-4) vs. Jon Jones (6-0)
    Nate Diaz (10-2) vs. Clay Guida (24-9)
    Karo Parisyan (18-5) vs. Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim (11-0-1)

Under card:

Jon Fitch (17-3) vs. Akihiro Gono (29-13-7)
    Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
    Chris Wilson (14-4) vs. John Howard (10-4)
    Jake O’Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
    Matt “No Regard” Arroyo (3-2) vs. Daniel Cramer (0-0)

Why bother the only fight that matters is GSP VS BJ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

I'm rootin for BJ and think he'll win. It's weird cos I'm a MASSIVE fan of both guys but I'm 100% behind BJ for this one.

im the same way im a huge fan of both fighters but for some reason i want to see BJ absolutely smash through GSP and i honestly tink he will!!

Machida vs Silva should be a class scrap!! i reckon machida will take on points or by submission!!

Always good 2 see stephan bonnar fightin it'd be great 2 see him win!!

And Clay Guida vs Nate Diaz should be a war i reckon guida takes it though!!

Dis is a really good card!! should be a few good fights on there fo sho!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

GBX wrote: »
    Is this on TV lads? Setanta?

All UFC events are shown live on Setanta Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Leo?

The only thing that could put a spanner in the works is if Penn & St. Pierre's skills cancel each other out and it ends up a 5 round snoozfest :D Also Machida/Silva both have their unbeaten records on the line, so I'm expecting good things from that too.

Leo? wrote: »
    The only thing that could put a spanner in the works is if Penn & St. Pierre's skills cancel each other out and it ends up a 5 round snoozfest :D Also Machida/Silva both have their unbeaten records on the line, so I'm expecting good things from that too.
    i doubt thats gonna happen though. They have both stated in interviews there gonna go for the finish..
    also these guys are so brilliant technically, even if there is a stalemate, its still going to be fascinating..

cant decide who im gonna root for on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I am rooting for GSP in this one, very close to call and I wouldn't be too upset if BJ won either as I'm also a big fan of his. But I will call GSP by decision with his wrestling proving decisive.
    I wonder what weight BJ will enter the ring at ?

For the other fights I will go with:
    Lyoto Machida
    Karo Parisyan
    Nate Diaz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I think GSP has this one. I like both fighters but think GSP will pull it off on the day.
    If the fight goes into the 3rd round BJ is in trouble. I think GSP's conditioning is going to be a huge factor and he's going to keep BJ under pressure until BJ gets tired.

Really looking forward to Diaz Vs Guida.

2009 is not even two weeks old, and already anticipation
    is building for the fight many are calling not only the fight of the year, but the fight of the decade, as UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre meets UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn in a rematch at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on January 31st.

It’s the type of fight that needs no introduction to true fight fans, but by the same token, it’s also the kind of showdown that can introduce new fans to the sport as its being waged at its highest level.

Enter UFC Primetime, which premieres on Spike TV on Wednesday, January 14th at 10pm. More than just a countdown show, the series will air in three parts on the three Wednesdays leading up to the fight and take fight fans behind the scenes and into the lives of St-Pierre and Penn like never before. For the UFC, there was no better time than now and no better fight than GSP-Penn to kick off the series.

“This is the biggest fight the UFC has ever promoted, and we knew that both the personalities and the story lines would make for a great show,” said Craig Borsari, the UFC’s Executive Vice President of Operations and Production. “In UFC Primetime, the viewer will see the fighters in situations we've never seen them in before. We typically spend three days with a fighter for a normal Countdown show. For this series we're spending 25 days with each fighter. That gives us the ability to get more spontaneous moments with the fighters. The storytelling will be different also. The viewer will get a much deeper understanding of who these fighters are and what makes them tick.”

Of course, with such an increased commitment to not only gathering the content over a longer period of time, but doing so in such diverse locales as Hawaii and Montreal, there is a lot more involved financially (the series is reportedly six times more expensive than the average Countdown show), and logistics become part of the juggling act.

“The extremely tight turn around is the biggest logistical issue,” said Borsari. “Having one production crew in Hilo, another in Montreal, and our post house in NYC makes it very challenging to get footage back to our producers in NYC in a timely manner and turn it around for air in a matter of days.”

Luckily for the production team, gaining complete access to St-Pierre and Penn has been no issue at all.

“Both fighters have been great in giving us all access to their camps,” said Borsari last week. “We've captured some great moments already and we aren’t even a quarter of the way done with shooting.”

For the viewers at home, the difference between UFC Primetime and the UFC’s usual Countdown shows is that the fighters are being filmed as close to the fight as possible. For example, when you watch the January 28th edition of the show, the content will have been filmed in the previous few days, as opposed to a couple months out. It’s as close as you can get to a weekly training camp update, coupled with interviews with camp and family members that give new insight into what St-Pierre and Penn are going through before the biggest fight of their careers. So don’t expect a re-hash of past material – this is all new and focused on January 31st.

“In this show we're not going to spend a lot of time explaining where these guys came from,” said Borsari. “This show is about being in the moment with each fighter. The viewer will understand who the fighter is by the end of the series and will hopefully develop a deeper interest in one or both of the fighters.”

And if viewers respond to the first three episodes of UFC Primetime, it may not be the last time we see it.

“We'll see how this one goes, but if it’s as successful as we anticipate, then it’s likely you will see a couple of these a year.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Can't fuc*ing wait!!!:D

Leaving work at 5 on Wednesday.
    Straight up to Dublin.
    Flying out from Dublin to Vegas.
    Spending Friday at the weigh ins.
    Saturday in the pit, watching the fight of the decade.
    And Sunday I have a day pass for Extreme Couture gym!
    I'm gonna spend the day rolling in the cage!!!

What a way to spend a weekend!!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Straight up to Dublin.

I will swap you some 'magic beans' for those tickets :p

• Advertisement

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I will swap you some 'magic beans' for those tickets :p

Not for all the magic beans in magic bean land!!!:D

Straight up to Dublin.

Excellent mate hope you have a good time, this is the MMA fight of the century. and to have tickets to see it Live.. nice:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It's a great potential fight, no doubt. Both has seriously stepped up their games since they last fought.

Personally, i think GSP is a whole different beast now, but i think Penn is far more mature than he was.

Honestly, i can't pick a winner but for some reason i just think Penn will take it. GSP has dismantled people with his recent level changing game....but i don't think that will work against Penn who will most likely be able to stuff his takedowns.

Fascinating figh.

If penn wins, id like to see him move up and challenge silva..wat a fight that could be..

I dont buy into the "theres weight classes for a reason" argument that comes up, when smaller fighters, fighting larger ones, are discussed. If its a goodstyle match up the weight doesnt matter as much. For instance, put a fighter like antoni hardonk against gsp and ill pick gsp to come out with the win. The smaller fighters usually have a speed advantage too (not against silva tho!), look what manhoef did to hunt..

At the same time though, silvas a bad matchup for anybody and the weight argument holds credence in this case because of the styles, but I still see this fight being competitive..

thoughts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

If penn wins, id like to see him move up and challenge silva..wat a fight that could be..

I dont buy into the "theres weight classes for a reason" argument that comes up, when smaller fighters, fighting larger ones, are discussed. If its a goodstyle match up the weight doesnt matter as much. For instance, put a fighter like antoni hardonk against gsp and ill pick gsp to come out with the win. The smaller fighters usually have a speed advantage too (not against silva tho!), look what manhoef did to hunt..

At the same time though, silvas a bad matchup for anybody and the weight argument holds credence in this case because of the styles, but I still see this fight being competitive..

thoughts??
    Lol you want penn to hold then 155lb belt, the 170lb belt and want him to challenge for the 185 lb belt??? never ever going to happen

Lol you want penn to hold then 155lb belt, the 170lb belt and want him to challenge for the 185 lb belt??? never ever going to happen
    wishful thinking i know :)

but never say never..

Penn wants to do it for sure and if can get past gsp, i reckon he could talk dana into letting it happen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

thoughts??

Personally i define a champion by their defences. I would actually like to see Penn defend at some point the 155 belt. There are a lot of 155 fighters currently trying to get a shot against an effectively absent champion.

I would hate to see both the 155 and 170 divisions in the UFC stalled because of Dana White and Joe Silva trying to accomodate Penn's ego.

If he wants to clean out 155 and 170 then let him maintain the level of activness required to do so in both divisions. Allowing him to move into a 3rd would basically make a mockery of the efforts of the people who are after the belts he may hold.

Dragan wrote: »
    Personally i define a champion by their defences. I would actually like to see Penn defend at some point the 155 belt. There are a lot of 155 fighters currently trying to get a shot against an effectively absent champion.

I would hate to see both the 155 and 170 divisions in the UFC stalled because of Dana White and Joe Silva trying to accomodate Penn's ego.

If he wants to clean out 155 and 170 then let him maintain the level of activness required to do so in both divisions. Allowing him to move into a 3rd would basically make a mockery of the efforts of the people who are after the belts he may hold.
    I agree with you, but he could always relinquish the titles and pave the way for this superfight..Penn wants the big fights and although theres some great match ups for him at 155 and 170,if he beats gsp i suspect he'll be more enthusastic about fighting silva..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I watched a Q&A RE: GSP V Penn, and Dana white said that if GSP wins then yes there will be a superfight with Anderson Silva but not if Penn wins. Im kinda rooting for BJ, but would also really love to see a GSP/Silva fight later in the year:eek: it would be amazing!!

• Advertisement

BJ should never move above 170.
    Look at what happened when he foaght Machida at 205.
    Penn he tried to bulk up, and came out at a fat 180-90 pds.

I seriously think that BJ will struggle (a tiny tiny bit) at 170, so him at 185 would just take his cardio down even more.

Advertisement