Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 94 BJ PENN VS GSP ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Hey folks,

I have seen the first two episodes of this show, which airs in the US on a Wednesday night. From the first show it seems as if BJ is taking a very very relaxed attitude to the fight, taking a 5 day break in training because he was feeling worn down. Fair enough, you know when your body is worn down and needs a break, but 5 days in the middle of a camp seems a bit much. Also his general attitude towards GSP seems pretty disrespectful. I know that their first fight was a close one, and the decision in GSP's favour was controversial, but anybody who has seen a GSP fight recently knows that the guy is a pure animal. In my opinion, purely from what I have seen on tape, BJ is underestimating GSP. On the other hand, GSP's camp seems extremely intense, his training partners are big names, ie Keith Jardine and Nath Marquardt to name but two. The attitude from GSP also seems to be a lot better than from BJ, you can tell he wants to win(obviously:p) but he is not being over confidant or cocky about it, although he makes no secret of his belief that he is the better athlete.

For those who are interested, the show can be downloaded from Rapidshare.
    Ep 1: http://rapidshare.com/files/184666980/UFC.Primetime.St.Pierre.Vs.Penn.Part.1.WS.PDTV.XviD-433.avi
    Ep 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/187537674/UFC_Primetime_St-Pierre_vs_Penn_II_Part_2_-_matek.avi

Anybody else whose seen it want to pitch in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Thanks for the links.

This thread should be merged with the UFC 94 thread, as it is likely to mirror the conversation taking place there

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

I really like both fighters. Both have great natural ability. But GSP knows that BJ just has the edge on him in raw talent. BJ was doing little or no cardio/ strength training for years and still racking up the wins. GSP should be nervous. And GSP is known to have a bit of a glass chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Still all this crap about a "contrivertial" win!:rolleyes:

Please look back a page.
    I'd love to hear a counterpoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

So hyped for this fight! Im starting to lean towards george after bj's antics..
    How fickle i am!

I was just doin a bit of reading and apparantly bjs Dad is Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

GSP chin is going to move a hell of a lot better than Sherks plus he wont have a reach advantage, and the last time they fought GSP wasnt even classed as a good wrestler.
    BJ is always like this before a fight trash talking, as soon as the fight is over he tells the other guy he didnt mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

My money will be on GSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hitman119

GSP had a lot of heart in the first fight but BJ won it hands down, don't know how the judges gave it to GSP. But come the 31 of jan we'll all see BJ vindicated:D

Still all this crap about a "contrivertial" win!:rolleyes:

Please look back a page.
    I'd love to hear a counterpoint!

Ok the review you wrote was good:rolleyes:, but it totally biased against BJ. Why I hear you ask. Because your a massive GSP fan, and in your head he won the fight.
    Now seen that I’m a massive BJ fan I can sit back watch the fight, then write a review, pick out parts of the fight, analyse it and say;
    Hey BJ totally dominated GSP he should have won.

But there is no point because I’ll be biased against GSP
    Now I know the Judges scored the fight and the official win went to GSP But as we all know Judges can be wrong:P. And they were wrong in this case:D

I don’t think we’ll find anyone neutral to watch the fight and give us a non biased opinion. Where are we going to find a neutral MMA fan? Nowhere Because in MMA either with the GSP team or BJ Squad.

So on Jan 31 2009 this argument will conclude with GSP being defeated and BJ stand tall
    Then this whole bulls*@t argument with start all over again. And give us some thing to do on boards:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

hitman119 wrote: »
    I don’t think we’ll find anyone neutral to watch the fight and give us a non biased opinion. Where are we going to find a neutral MMA fan? Nowhere Because in MMA either with the GSP team or BJ Squad.

I'll watch it quite happily. I respect both GSP and BJ as fighters but wouldn't hold one over the other with regards to who i am a fan of.

The deal is though, when i say who i think won it, you and Karma need to stop the pointless nitpicking in every thread you both post in.

It should be noted i will also simply be saying who i feel won the fight after a rewatch, not saying that either one of you is right.

How's the grab you?

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    The deal is though, when i say who i think won it, you and Karma need to stop the pointless nitpicking in every thread you both post in.

I have been nitpicking with nobody, and have no intention of doing so.
    I'm sorry if it seems so Dragan, but I'm responding to everyone.
    I'm deliberately avoiding getting dragged into anything as I was earlier.

I myself am a massive BJ Penn fan, and a massive GSP fan.
    The only reason that I want GSP to win is that I think he's a nicer person.
    He has a lot more respect than BJ ever will.

And I openly encourage anyone to review the fight, if for no other reason than it was a great fight.

hitman119 wrote:
    Now I know the Judges scored the fight and the official win went to GSP But as we all know Judges can be wrong. And they were wrong in this case

I do believe that you missed some of my points there man.

It wasn't just the judges.

Watch the fight again.

Matt Hughes who had said he wanted BJ to win, said that GSP won.
    Joe Rogan, who spends his spare time humping BJ's leg, said that GSP won.
    Goldie said GSP had won.
    Eddie Bravo said that GSP had won.
    GSP's corner knew he'd won.
    BJ Penns corner knew that GSP had won.
    GSP knew that he had won.
    And Most importantly, BJ knew that GSP had won.

After the fight, BJ went to the corner and hung his head.
    When the reff called them to the center, BJ looked like he was about to cry.
    When Joe asked him did he think the decision was wrong, BJ said No, Georges fought a great fight!

Everyone who was there, and who's experienced in the buisness thought that GSP won.

Like I said, watch the fight, listen to the comentary, look at reaction by BJ and his corner, and the interviews afterwards.

If you don't know where, I'll post you a link later on when I'm out of work.

Only BJ Penn fans think that BJ was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Can't fuc*ing wait!!!:D

Leaving work at 5 on Wednesday.
    Straight up to Dublin.
    Flying out from Dublin to Vegas.
    Spending Friday at the weigh ins.
    Saturday in the pit, watching the fight of the decade.
    And Sunday I have a day pass for Extreme Couture gym!
    I'm gonna spend the day rolling in the cage!!!

What a way to spend a weekend!!!!!:cool:

I will offer you 2 x Rod Stewart tickets in what could be the gig of the year in exchange. If interested, please call 085.........

I have been nitpicking with nobody, and have no intention of doing so.
    I'm sorry if it seems so Dragan, but I'm responding to everyone.
    I'm deliberately avoiding getting dragged into anything as I was earlier.

I myself am a massive BJ Penn fan, and a massive GSP fan.
    The only reason that I want GSP to win is that I think he's a nicer person.
    He has a lot more respect than BJ ever will.

And I openly encourage anyone to review the fight, if for no other reason than it was a great fight.

I do believe that you missed some of my points there man.

It wasn't just the judges.

Watch the fight again.

Matt Hughes who had said he wanted BJ to win, said that GSP won.
    Joe Rogan, who spends his spare time humping BJ's leg, said that GSP won.
    Goldie said GSP had won.
    Eddie Bravo said that GSP had won.
    GSP's corner knew he'd won.
    BJ Penns corner knew that GSP had won.
    GSP knew that he had won.
    And Most importantly, BJ knew that GSP had won.

After the fight, BJ went to the corner and hung his head.
    When the reff called them to the center, BJ looked like he was about to cry.
    When Joe asked him did he think the decision was wrong, BJ said No, Georges fought a great fight!

Everyone who was there, and who's experienced in the buisness thought that GSP won.

Like I said, watch the fight, listen to the comentary, look at reaction by BJ and his corner, and the interviews afterwards.

If you don't know where, I'll post you a link later on when I'm out of work.

Only BJ Penn fans think that BJ was robbed.

If you really beleave that buddy you need to watch more mma

Okay then, let me put it this way. Any thread the two of you post in results in the same back and forth. It's simply annoying, and i am just calling it as i see it.

Sometimes, there is no point in battering people with fact or opinion in the hope of changing their mind.

This important internet lesson has been brough to you by the letter D.:D

Dragan wrote: »
    Okay then, let me put it this way. Any thread the two of you post in results in the same back and forth. It's simply annoying, and i am just calling it as i see it.

Sometimes, there is no point in battering people with fact or opinion in the hope of changing their mind.

This important internet lesson has been brough to you by the letter D.:D

Dragan, do ye have ignore lists here like in the football forum?
    I could really use it here!!!

I'm trying really, really, hard!!!!!!!

I will offer you 2 x Rod Stewart tickets in what could be the gig of the year in exchange. If interested, please call 085.........

As tempting as that is..........:D

Dragan, do ye have ignore lists here like in the football forum?
    I could really use it here!!!

I'm trying really, really, hard!!!!!!!

Trying really hard to what? You started this i didn't, i posted a reply saying that i would like to see BJ fight Silva then you jumped on it and started to insulting me. Your just one of those really ignorant people who think they know everything about MMA, but the fact is you don't have a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 trojan Fury

hitman119 wrote: »
    Trying really hard to what?

Ough Its on like Donkey Kong. Who needs to go to Los Vegas we've got UFC 94 right here.

KarmaFaerie Vs Hitman119.

So, anyway.

Machida vs Silva.

Anybody actually going with Silva here?
    Lyoto seems to be everyones fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Lyoto has the skills to pay the bills
    :o:o:o

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    BJ Penn vs GSP. BJ to take this third round stoppage.
    Machida vs Silva. Silva by G n P.
    Bonnar vs Jones. Not really interested in this one. But il go for Bonnar
    Karo vs Dong Hyun Kim. Hope Karo wins this and gets back to his best. Karo by UD
    Guida vs Diaz. Love Guida think his constant pressure on Diaz will get him a decision. He'll have to watch out for Diaz's subs though.
    Fitch vs Gono. Cant belive Fitch is on an undercard, the UFC obviously not forgetting what happened. Fitch to take this.

I dont think theres any clear favourites on the main card except maybe Machida..Id probably pick Bonnar to win also, although i dont know much about this jones guy..

Other than that its really difficult to pick winners - which is the sign of a great card!

Some month for mma...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Coolhand

I think GSP is just too good for BJ. I reckon GSP will win easier then anyone thinks. Then hopefully on to Silva which I wouldnt dare predict!

Okay, so I watched the primetime special last night.
    Two things. (Not a spoiler by the way, incase ye haven't seen it.)

When BJ was saying "It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit, and keep on coming.....etc" am I the only one who thought he was taking it a bit too seriously?!
    He wasn't saying that tongue in cheek.
    It was almost as if he didn't think people would know it was a Rocky quote!
    It's kinda a famous movie franchise there Baby Jay:D

Secondly, did he forget that that is the most useless of threats to say to GSP?
    GSP got hit, and kept on coming, and put you on your ass 4 times, and beat you.
    He already did that BJ.:confused:

http://www.myvideofight.com/video/ufc/ufc-58-bj-penn-vs.-gsp/index-3.html

Here's the first fight for all who need a refresher.
    The sound is slightly off, but it's a good quality vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

So, anyway.

Machida vs Silva.

Anybody actually going with Silva here?
    Lyoto seems to be everyones fav.

Silva will beat Machida's boring ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

+1

I think that Lyoto will win, but I'm glad Thiago isn't being totally written off.
    Good fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Just watched the Primetime shows. Bj comes across a little cocky which is fair enough. I thought Greg Jackson played a bigger role in GSPs fight prep. Based on the show it looks like some of GJ's guys head up to montreal every so often to help GSP prep for fights (jardine, marquadt etc.).

Whether Machida wins or loses I cant wait to see this fight. I find Machida and his quasi-karate style fasinating to watch. The dudes amazing. he takes little to no damage in any of his fights and has yet to be beaten, despite fighting some stellar competition. He's like a prime bernard hopkins or Ryu from streetfighter, with me at the controller :D

I can understand why some people dont like to watch him. He's not going to go out there, swing for the fences and get into a brawl. thats not his style, but if your a fan of technical striking and can appreciate the art of hitting and not getting hit, then Machida is one to watch.

• Advertisement

The irony of this is that in the Ken Shamrock thread you will happily defend a fighters right to get in the ring and fight if it is his will to do so.

Does that mean only if you personally find in entertaining?

As a rough example, i am considering this fighter bashing.

Advertisement