Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 94 BJ PENN VS GSP ***Will Contain Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

GSP was just simply amazing. Ill wait a bit before commenting on BJ.

Vaselinegate ahoy!

DeVore wrote: »
    Wow... I would not have predicted that. BJ simply didnt have an answer for GSP. He also looks gassed from the end of the second round. Never looked like submitting GSP or even threatening to and ultimately seemed to just give up.

I watched the Machida fight with interest too... am I wrong or did he just put the Martial Arts back into Mixed Martial Arts? :)
    Great to see a different style being used successfully and with a clinical feeling that many fights lack. Hard to tell if Silva was as bad as he looked or if he couldnt deal with Machida (and it looked like a bit of both to be honest). Silva looked a lot like Penn in fact, in that he had no answer to his opponents seeming superiority.

DeV.

That's the thing about Machida. His style makes anyone he's fought so far look clumsy and uncoordinated even though they're talented fighters. Very quick and very clever.

BJ vs GSP....wow.....GSP is just an animal. before the fight I couldn't call it so I went with BJ. I didn't foresee it being as one sided as that. Just wow. When fights like that happen where I'm a massive fan of both fighters I root for the underdog so I was 100% up for BJ. Was gutted that he got dominated like he did but he's a helluva tough guy for lasting as long as he did with the form that GSP was in.

So what do you guys think Penn's main downfall: conditioning or GSP just being that damn good?

The Jones fight had some great rasslin'

rovert wrote: »
    So what do you guys think Penn's main downfall: conditioning or GSP just being that damn good?

I think he just got beat by the better fighter. It helped that GSP is larger and more athletic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tom Egan got a mention in the 1st round of that one if i recall :pac:

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Tom Egan got a mention in the 1st round of that one if i recall :pac:

I think Jones is the 3rd youngest fighter and Tom got mentioned as he is the youngest.

The amount of times Fedor's name was dropped over the fight weekend is fairly interesting too.

Vaselinegate ahoy!

Any update on that? Watched it again and u can see that lad rubbin it on his back alrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Wha an athmosphere!
    I mean electric!

you lucky w****r

As for the decision, it was a TKO.
    Neither BJ or his corner gave up,

you can see bjs brother doing a cut signal with his hand and neck either at teh doctor or the referee just before the decision was made

Lastly, for now, I'm not sure if it was shown on the PPV, but after the Rogan interview, GSP went to do his backflip, and f****d up.
    Landed flat on his ar$e.
    Hilarious!!!:D

ye they showed it alright how embarassing even for a machine
    P.S: Probably not picked up on TV, but a load of people were trying to start "Olé Olé Olé" chants!:confused:

seems to be a bit of an international chant at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

GSP was amazing completely dominated Penn Alright. GSP is an MMA master all areas of his game are really strong. I hope Penn can come back from this though. What did you lads think of his performance? Was he poor or is GSP just too good? Is it just too much for him coming up to fight at welterweight? Looking forward to GSP Alves. Reckon Alves has a chance if he can keep the fight standing up & also get to use his savage leg kicks.

Any update on that? Watched it again and u can see that lad rubbin it on his back alrite.

Well no one seems to be disputing that it happened. But going by reports GSP had no knowledge of it. Dana White said it could have been a whole tub of the stuff on him and it wouldnt make a difference. BJ has filed a complaint with the commission.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That's the thing about Machida. His style makes anyone he's fought so far look clumsy and uncoordinated even though they're talented fighters. Very quick and very clever.

BJ vs GSP....wow.....GSP is just an animal. before the fight I couldn't call it so I went with BJ. I didn't foresee it being as one sided as that. Just wow. When fights like that happen where I'm a massive fan of both fighters I root for the underdog so I was 100% up for BJ. Was gutted that he got dominated like he did but he's a helluva tough guy for lasting as long as he did with the form that GSP was in.
    It will be interesting to see how far that style can take him. It has seemed to serve him well against his opponents to date but how will he fair against a top class opponent who wont rush in as much. Personally I like his way of fighting and I think it simultaneously shows that there is something to take from Karate while also acknowledging that the art of fighting and defence has moved on and evolved. Much more interesting than another Ground'n'Pounder imho.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Great night of fights.

Machida was amazing..i wonder if those idiots who said he was boring will change their tune..He defo deserves a title shot now.

Penn didnt look like the same fighter as he does at 155. He gassed bad in the second. Maybe it was the phenomenal pace gsp set, but his cardio was suspect.

I gave karo the nod his fight. He won the second round. the third was close, but i thought he nicked it. 29/28 for karo.

Jones is great to watch. Was really impressed with bonnar's toughness though.

I thought diaz won, but maybe im a little biased..

Bring on GSP v A Silva.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

What a fight! Im only recovering now after staying up till 6.

I loved GSP's post fight interview. For someone like my who has only gotten into MMA a year ago, its great to have an insight into his tactics for the fight. How he deliberately wrestled him grecko style the first 2 rounds because he wanted to take the speed out of BJ's standup game. He didn't want to go to ground when BJ was fresh because then it would come down to who had the best Jujitsu. Talk about going to plan...

Well no one seems to be disputing that it happened. But going by reports GSP had no knowledge of it. Dana White said it could have been a whole tub of the stuff on him and it wouldnt make a difference. BJ has filed a complaint with the commission.

That could be true but then again, it does severely weaken the rubber guard so maybe it would have made a difference, who knows. To be fair, the evidence is there that it wouldn't have but you can never say for definite and it shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

EDIT: Just on BJs page and he says that GSP wasn't greased...so there ya go! Can't link it cos it's private forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ta2liam

it makes me laugh that BJ called GSP a quitter and he was the one who gave up.... <snip> GSP all the way! i love to see a fight with GSP and Anderson Silva... that would be my dream match up:p

ta2liam wrote: »
    it makes me laugh that BJ called GSP a quitter and he was the one who gave up.... **** BJ!! GSP all the way! i love to see a fight with GSP and Anderson Silva... that would be my dream match up:p
    pretty ironic alright..

In hindsight, all that trash-talk bj spout pre-fight applied more to himself than GSP. I wonder if he can come back from this. His ego has been obliterated - which could be a good thing.

Hopefully he'll learn from this, discard all those yes men he surrounds himself with and go train in a better camp.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Ye you have to wonder how hard he was actually training when you see him. <snip>

Personally, I think the fight showed just how different GSP's definition is of "training really hard" is to BJ's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

i hope this stuff is fighterbashing.

i hope this stuff is fighterbashing.

Outside the porky comment I dont think it is.

BJ fan by chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

didnt see any of it!:mad:
    was bj in it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Being repeated on Setanta right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

ta2liam wrote: »
    it makes me laugh that BJ called GSP a quitter and he was the one who gave up.... **** BJ!! GSP all the way! i love to see a fight with GSP and Anderson Silva... that would be my dream match up:p

Penn did not quit, his corner threw in the towel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Outside the porky comment I dont think it is.

BJ fan by chance?

every mma fan is a bj fan

Penn did not quit, his corner threw in the towel

:rolleyes:

When his corner and the doctor asked him if he wanted to continue, he hung his head and offered no reply. You could clearly see he was broken and wanted out at that stage. He didnt try to dispute the stoppage after either.

He quit.

He quit.

He did not, his corner protected him, like a good corner should. If they did not Penn would have went out for rd 5 cause he is a warrior.

He did not, his corner protected him, like a good corner should. If they did not Penn would have went out for rd 5 cause he is a warrior.

<snip>

If penn had wanted to continue he would have stated it. All fighters know the consequence of not answering the doctors or your cornermen in that situation. Its the same scenario as in the de la hoya v paquanio fight. Penn choose to quit.

I will say no more, I dont want this forum to be another sherdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'll say it again, neither BJ or his corner gave up.

It was a TKO.

The referee came over and said he was stopping it.
    He tried to tell BJ, and BJ ignored him.
    He then told BJ's corner, and they just shook their heads.

Herb said I'm stopping it, and asked J.D. did he dispute it.
    J.D. said no.

It's down in the books as a TKO.

Simple as that.

I know this personally, cause I'd bet that GSP would win by TKO in the 4th round, and the money I'm getting is all the proof that I need.
    For the rest, check out the UFC website.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I will say no more, I dont want this forum to be another sherdog.

yeah, lets not go there.

BJ Penn is a better fighter then 99% of fighters, he has nothing to prove. BSP is possibly the best ever in the condition he's in and losing to him is no shame. F*ck it, if that was me I'd have been pushing the doctor into the middle to fight BSP and trying to pretend to be, I dunno, a chair or something. Penn looked dazed and confused at the end and not sure of where he was. His brother insisted he be looked at by the doc who was clearly not wild about what he saw and then his brother signalled the cut off.
    I think you could forgive BJ for not jumping up and shouting "no no, I want to spend another 5 minutes in the octagon with that animal of a guy getting my face mashed before an inevitable UD. Please please dont take that away from me". :)
    His brother did the smart thing.

Penn wasnt fit and it showed, he's used to fighting 155 guys and BSP was awesome. Short of a submission like an arm bar or choke I dont see any way for Penn to overcome the advantages BSP showed.

I'd love to see anyone who calls Penn a quitter face four rounds of BSP and still be up for a fifth... :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055391415

Above is the link to the forum charter, note the section on fighter bashing.

Also, dont make it personal.

I would like to tread as lightly as possible given that I am new to modding this forum. I have edited some posts, and issued warnings also.

Thanks to regular posters who showed restraint.

Advertisement