Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions where to buy second hand *sean nos* CDs ? GRMA

Options
  • 10-01-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

YogiBoy wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what are 'sean nos' CDs and what is 'GRMA'? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭YogiBoy

"Sean Nós" in the Irish language means "old style" and refers to various sean-nós activities, including sean-nós singing and sean-nós dancing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean-n%C3%B3s_song

GRMA is the common abbreviation of "Go raibh maith agat", which means "Thank you very much" in Gaelic.

Second hand places like Chapters have very little or no trad Irish in my experience. New CDs (although many recordings are ancient) cost some EUR 20 a go in An Siopa Leabhar, and that is beyond my budget. GRMA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's an underground music shop on Wicklow St, on the same side as the Häagen-Dazs cafe, a few shops away from it. It's literally a black door and you go downstairs. Only place I could think of, he sells all bootlegs and basically rare cd's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

try dolphin discs in either talbot street or moore street

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

YogiBoy wrote: »
    "Sean Nós" in the Irish language means "old style" and refers to various sean-nós activities, including sean-nós singing and sean-nós dancing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean-n%C3%B3s_song

GRMA is the common abbreviation of "Go raibh maith agat", which means "Thank you very much" in Gaelic.

Second hand places like Chapters have very little or no trad Irish in my experience. New CDs (although many recordings are ancient) cost some EUR 20 a go in An Siopa Leabhar, and that is beyond my budget. GRMA
    GRMA (:)) and apologies for my ignorance of the mother tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Maybe Mojo's in Merchants Arch or whatever its called in Temple Bar??

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭YogiBoy

Any more suggestions? Haven't had any luck yet. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Don't know about 2nd hand but Celtic Note on Nassau St might have some Sean Nos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Claddagh Records in Temple Bar is the best place for trad CD but they only sell new I think. The staff is usually well informed if you want sth on special order too.
    http://www.claddaghrecords.com/

Advertisement