Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tower feedback

Options
  • 10-01-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the market for a new machine. I am attempting to bring myself back up to speed with regards to current developments and have been looking around.

With regards to requirements I have built before but would prefare not to build so generally I was looking around for places that allow you to configure. But I will build if no other options. I would like to be able to overclock it or for it to come overclocked. The most use it has is for gaming which I plan to be doing at 1920*1200. WoW, COD4, Fallout3 etc. The seller must be able to deliver to Sweden. I suppose a budget of around 900 pounds (I get paid in sterling)

The obvious choice for me so far was komplett.se and this is what I have come up with. Couple of questions wrt overclocking the memory is rated 6400 that means it will run at 400mhz? So the processor has an FSB of 333? So if up the FSB to 400mhz this would be a typical overclock with a 1:1 divider unless I oc the memory also? Which would be about 3.4ghz if achievable?

Is the 550W psu sufficient for this rig or should I go for 650?

spec.jpg

I have taken a look at overclockers.co.uk which I have used a couple of times before. With regards to there prebuild systems and configurable systems I feel they do not really offer the flexiblity e.g very hard to get a 1Gb 4870. I have looked at ankermann pc which offer good flexiblity good prices but a quick look around here seems there service is not great.

I appreciate your feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd defintely go for the bigger psu with the quad-core and video card.
    Ram is running at 400mhz (ddr2 800mhz) and cpu at 333.
    Overclocking the ram could be difficult depending on the brand you get. Corsair should be good for it. Check out overclocking reviews for that ram.
    The cpu itself will easily hit 3.6ghz on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Woden: Look at my sig. Seems to have a few of the components you're going to get. I have a 850W Cooler Master.

Look at hardwareversand.de I got these just under a month ago, and the prices seem to fall faster than on Komplett.
    the_syco wrote: »
    €244,80 - Club3D HD4870 Overclocked 1024MB, ATI Radeon HD4870, PCI-Express
    €297,89 - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 boxed, 12MB, LGA775, 64bit
    €213,26 - Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 ,Intel X48, ATX, PCI-Express
    €97,81 - 4096MB-Kit Corsair TWIN2X DHX 8500C5DF, CL5
    €87,11 - WD Caviar GP 1TB WD10EACS SATA II WD10EACS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

550w psu is more than enough in that machine but for future proofing the 650w would be good and only cost a tiny bit more

but you should have a look at overclockers pretty good deals on there http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

pretty sure they deliver anywhere in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Woden wrote: »
    Couple of questions wrt overclocking the memory is rated 6400 that means it will run at 400mhz? So the processor has an FSB of 333? So if up the FSB to 400mhz this would be a typical overclock with a 1:1 divider unless I oc the memory also? Which would be about 3.4ghz if achievable?
    That's all correct, and a very achievable overclock for that chip, provided you throw some half way decent cooling at it.

Advertisement