Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops refusing EBS laser card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

axer wrote: »
    The only time legal tender has to be accepted is to cover an existing debt. There is also a restriction limiting the transaction to 50 coins maximum. (Economic and Monetary Union Act 1998)

A shop can refuse legal tender for purchases since a debt does not already exist (that is why they can legally refuse to accept a 100 or 500 euro note as some places do) since no contract exists (they are basically choosing to not enter into a contract of sale with you). A restaurant on the other hand cannot if you have already eaten before paying since a debt exists (the contract has already been entered into since the product has been consumed).

As above a shop does not have to accept you offer to purchase an item thus can refuse to accept any card or cash. Some stores may have contractual obligations with the credit card machine/merchant account providers to accept certain cards, i don't know, but there is no statutory requirement.

thats an interesting law. glad it's in. I shall use if freely :D

On the note of cards. If you display the "we accept.." or any other sticker designed to show you accept these cards you are obliged to accept them for a transaction (which to not cause problems) you agree to enter with the customer.
    I won't mention who or what specifically, but I work for one of the banks in that dept. A merchant does NOT have to accept any cards other than those shown. Example of the stickers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

congo_90 wrote: »
    I won't mention who or what specifically, but I work for one of the banks in that dept. A merchant does NOT have to accept any cards other than those shown. Example of the stickers
    I presume you mean that is the rule imposed by the credit card processing provider but by law none of the cards have to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

congo_90 wrote: »
    On the note of cards. If you display the "we accept.." or any other sticker designed to show you accept these cards you are obliged to accept them for a transaction (which to not cause problems) you agree to enter with the customer.

Actually NO.

A merchant has absolute discression to reject any card (even Visa/Mastercard) if they want.

Since the liability for any fraud is with them, they cannot be force to accept any such risk, so if they do not like the card, they can refuse.

Advertisement