Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 upgrade & speed limit: 60 Kmh

Options
  • 10-01-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi guys n girls

whats happening at M50(upgrading section).

drivers are driving at the speed in the excess of 100's Kmh,but speed limit is 60 kmh!

There are signs of 60 KMh everywhere. but hardly anyone drives at that speed. If you ever try to drive at 60kmh, defo it ll be intimidating experience.

wondering is there any speed camera there or garda just ignoring it.
    obviously, Garda cars also use M50 and seeing whats happening.

any suggestions

thannx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I remember sometime last year i was on the M50 and it was 60kmh near the fixed speed camera (going clockwise) before the red cow... Everyone slowed down for it, it was so weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

as far as i know these are advisory speed limits, and not actually legal

shivkk06 wrote: »

So if you were to crash into someone else and were in court you could be found guilty of dangerous Driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

99% sure they're legal speed limits, although the Gardai don't seem to be enforcing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I think 60kmh on the M50 is ridiculous. There's plenty of scope for at least 75/80kmh.

• Advertisement

60kmh is silly unless the lanes are all screwed up and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

I got 2 points and a fine when a similar situation existed on the
    N7 in Rathcoole in July 2006. Beware of the green transit van.

The speed limit was real!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    99% sure they're legal speed limits, although the Gardai don't seem to be enforcing them.

Nah sure they do be bootin' it up the road with everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

drivers are driving at the speed in the excess of 100's Kmh,but speed limit is 60 kmh! [

Hardly an original observation, do we really need yet another thread on this?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055366622

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭foxhill

I think 80kmh would be fair.
    but driving at 60kmh on M50, it feels like you are goin nowhere!!

well... after reading above..it encourages me to join the 'speeding group' as Garda dnt give a damn.

well..i saw grada with speed guns at places, where, there is absolutely no risk.
    may be if anyone saw new garda van with speed gun at N7 inbound, just before the McDonald's at Kylemore trafic signal.

60kmh on that huge road is just redicilus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

is the 60 kph speed limit just for the sections that currently have work ongoing ? if so its very fair. you have to think about the people who are working very close by

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

elexes wrote: »
    is the 60 kph speed limit just for the sections that currently have work ongoing ? if so its very fair. you have to think about the people who are working very close by

Yes, it is.

If you on the section around the Tallaght interchange up to where the road opens to 3 lanes the 2 lanes at the road works are fairly tight and looks tighter again because the crash barriers are straddling the outside lane on the right. When alongside a truck it feels very tight.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I know it is painfull to drive at the 60kph. But it's all about safety as pointed out already. One day during the works a digger fell into a trench. On doing so, the digger was at an angle and the arm of the digger was leaning out over the barrier into the overtaking lane. Their was a major scramble of consturction worker out trying to warn oncoming traffic of the danger. If an artic had been in the lane it would of struct the digger and easily hit a construction worker.

I know nobody drives at the 60kph, but don't be doing 120kph, because as they say. Accidents do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

kikel wrote: »
    I know it is painfull to drive at the 60kph. But it's all about safety as pointed out already. One day during the works a digger fell into a trench. On doing so, the digger was at an angle and the arm of the digger was leaning out over the barrier into the overtaking lane. Their was a major scramble of consturction worker out trying to warn oncoming traffic of the danger. If an artic had been in the lane it would of struct the digger and easily hit a construction worker.

I know nobody drives at the 60kph, but don't be doing 120kph, because as they say. Accidents do happen.

where did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

foxhill wrote: »

any suggestions

thannx

Go with the flow unless there are not many cars with you. But don't break the old speed limit!

^^ My suggestion :) I've been points free since the upgrades started. *Touch wood*

foxhill wrote: »
    I think 80kmh would be fair.
    but driving at 60kmh on M50, it feels like you are goin nowhere!!

well... after reading above..it encourages me to join the 'speeding group' as Garda dnt give a damn.

well..i saw grada with speed guns at places, where, there is absolutely no risk.
    may be if anyone saw new garda van with speed gun at N7 inbound, just before the McDonald's at Kylemore trafic signal.

60kmh on that huge road is just redicilus!

you have to see the bigger picture.... the road at the minute is great most of the north section has new black top and it may seem great that its nice and smooth and all but its essentially an active building site.

60 may seem slow but i think they could turn it up a notch after working hours possibly.80 maybe.

but its all about safety. i dont know the exact figures but those temporary crash barrier are only design for small accidents and that is what is protecting
    a) the lads on the site from a car crashing into them
    b) you flying into / through the barrier and down a hole or into someone or something thats not meant to be crashed into like a stationary 20 tonne track machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

They're legal limits. Advisory limits are ones with orange backgrounds.
    Martron wrote: »
    60 may seem slow but i think they could turn it up a notch after working hours possibly.80 maybe.

Good idea in theory but there is nothing in legislation to allow for it. Temporary roadworks speed limits are set by the local council signing an order and once they're set they're set (for whatever time period is on the order).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

Try driving at 60 Kph!! in the section.

Then try driving at 60 MPH (100 kph)!!

At 120 Kph you will still be flashed and beeped and undertaken!!!

A realistic speed limit in these sections I suggest 80 Kph

Or just gives the GARDA the opportunity to plonk a camera and print money.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If someone can undertake you when you are doing 120km/h then do please look at your lane choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭foxhill

berireland wrote: »
    Try driving at 60 Kph!! in the section.

Or
    just gives the GARDA the opportunity to plonk a camera and print money.

absolutely true!
    Govt can generate loadza money out there without any question raised!!

Well .. I think govt is happy atleast traffic flow is going well. otherwise traffic chaos wiill happen because of slow speed. & govt will be accused again by opposition parties doin nothing to prevent traffic chaos at M50!!

Remember! when Bertie made laugh about "A van ran into truck and all trafic blocked"!!!!

Its Ireland!
    cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

elexes wrote: »

they don't work close by at 10 at night but the idiotic limits still appply

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Hammertime wrote: »
    they don't work close by at 10 at night but the idiotic limits still appply

School children aren't running out of schools at 10 at night, but the limits still apply :) . I don't think we have speed limits in Ireland that change based on some condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

School children aren't running out of schools at 10 at night, but the limits still apply :) . I don't think we have speed limits in Ireland that change based on some condition.

Like in Spain, for example, where there is a different, lower motorway speed limit for wet conditions.

But then again, in Spain they advertise speed traps every 100 metres for 500 metres before the trap itself. So that people slow down, lives are saved, and to hell with swelling the police's coffers.

And we call ourselves an advanced country...

guerito wrote: »
    Like in Spain, for example, where there is a different, lower motorway speed limit for wet conditions.

But then again, in Spain they advertise speed traps every 100 metres for 500 metres before the trap itself. So that people slow down, lives are saved, and to hell with swelling the police's coffers.

And we call ourselves an advanced country...

Well arent Spain great. They tell people exactly how long they can keeep barelling along at well over the speed limit so they dont need to obey them until the very last minute.

Whats the point of having a speed limit at all thats not within sight of the speed cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

after reading this thread i actually tried going at like 80kph on that 60kph stretch going home from work last night.
    the amount of people that passed me :)

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well arent Spain great. They tell people exactly how long they can keeep bareeling along at well over the speed limit so they dont need to obey them until the very last minute.

Whats the point of having a speed limit at all thats not within sight of the speed cameras?

Nice attitude. My point was that over there the cameras are placed in known danger points (I think there's another thread on something like this) and are advertised so that people don't go "bareeling" through dangerous bends, killing themselves and/or others. You don't think that's a good idea? Add that to a strong police presence on the motorways in general, and you have a good, cohesive police strategy for the roads. Which Ireland could learn from.

Nice attitude. My point was that over there the cameras are placed in known danger points (I think there's another thread on something like this) and are advertised so that people don't go "bareeling" through dangerous bends, killing themselves and/or others. You don't think that's a good idea? Add that to a strong police presence on the motorways in general, and you have a good, cohesive police strategy for the roads. Which Ireland could learn from.

People are supposed to be aware of theire surroundings and not use excessive and innapropriate speed. It's the ones that do that often end up in ditches on the apex of bends.

I've driven on the smaller roads of Spain and hav'nt come across the speed cameras that people seem to think exist on the continent (on dangerous country roads) because it makes them more dangerous.

Stekelly wrote: »
    People are supposed to be aware of theire surroundings and not use excessive and innapropriate speed. It's the ones that do that often end up in ditches on the apex of bends.

I've driven on the smaller roads of Spain and hav'nt come across the speed cameras that people seem to think exist on the continent (on dangerous country roads) because it makes them more dangerous.

But unfortunately in the real world they do use excessive and inappropriate speed. So the choice is between a police response which actually attempts to make them slow down and pay attention, or one which attempts to profit from people doing so, and often only lets people know they've been caught speeding weeks later, by which time they'll have been scraped off the tree they drove into.

Regarding the smaller roads, in fairness they are far more difficult to police, and I was responding (more or less :rolleyes:) to the OP's point about motorway speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

But unfortunately in the real world they do use excessive and inappropriate speed. So the choice is between a police response which actually attempts to make them slow down and pay attention, or one which attempts to profit from people doing so, and often only lets people know they've been caught speeding weeks later, by which time they'll have been scraped off the tree they drove into.

Regarding the smaller roads, in fairness they are far more difficult to police, and I was responding (more or less :rolleyes:) to the OP's point about motorway speed limits.

Speed limits are speed limits, they should not simply apply to areas where there are Speed Camera's to record infractions.

• Advertisement

samhail wrote: »
    after reading this thread i actually tried going at like 80kph on that 60kph stretch going home from work last night.
    the amount of people that passed me :)

its not a race!!

Advertisement