Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual fandom explained

• 10-01-2009 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Came across this just a while ago, and by coincidence the issue arises in the Croker singing section (it also came up in the Words Fail Me thread).

Rather than start an LoI v barstool bunfight there, I thought it'd be good to have one here...:p

Anyway, this professor believes football is becoming a telly/pub game and that the British authorities, who want to sanitize the game and confuse atmosphere and hooliganism, are happy with it that way... Virtual fandom explained

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

oh my I dont want to read that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

'Course you don't! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Great

Another p!ssing contest topic

there's been a shortage of them

Unearthly wrote: »
    Great

Another p!ssing contest topic

Good to see you got your entry in.

SectionF wrote: »
    Good to see you got your entry in.

no need to be like that,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there nowhere you could be off getting pissed on watching 2nd rate footballers hoofing balls at each other from the comfort of a shed?

May as well get it out of the way. On you go so with your usual rant and crying about nobody will watch your little league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Stekelly wrote: »
    watching 2nd rate footballers hoofing balls at each other
    You support Liverpool?
    your little league.
    It's your league too.

Pure Cork wrote: »

It's your league too.

Nope, I have no part in it. Being born in the same country as the league doesnt mean I have to either.

I have a German passport too but dont support the Bundesliga.

You support Liverpool?

Your right, I should have said "watching 4th rate footballers..."

At the end of the day, I cant remember any threads started by supporters of the EPL giving out about and being condescending to others for supporting the EL. It's always EL fans talking about how great the EL is and how they are better people becaus ethey support it.

Fill in that chip on yourshoulders and move on. Support who you like and leave others alone to do the same.

Your right, I should have said "watching 4th rate footballers..."
    Just like watching the "national" team.

Just like watching the "national" team.

Which team is that? For internationals I do invoke my German passport.

• Advertisement

Which team is that?
    The Irish "national" team.

It's always EL fans talking about how great the EL is and how they are better people becaus ethey support it.

This is an English professor talking about how great English football is when watched on television in a pub, and without reference to our national league.

It's not necessarily about one league v another -- we have other threads on that in which you get to tell everyone who disagrees with you that they have a chip on their shoulder (something all good football supporters should have anyway).

I imagine it is intended primarily for British consumption, but obviously it has relevance here too.

Nice observation from Rod Liddle today on said sanitization, or as he puts it, the Charltonification, of football...
    What’s football coming to? A friend of mine has just been banned from watching Millwall until the end of the season for making an acute observation about the manager of an opposing team. Believe me, things have reached a pretty poor pass when you can’t call Yeovil’s Russell Slade a ‘fat ****’. What, exactly, are you meant to call him? It wasn’t even said with venom; more a sort of genial affection. Like if you bumped into Rowan Williams down The Den, you might say: ‘Allo, Archbishop, how’s it hanging, you old ****?’ (And he’d probably reply: ‘Sweet as, you mug.’) The people running football today simply don’t understand the culture, the demotic. It is, as another mate of mine pointed out, the Charltonification of football: no smoking, no swearing, no standing, no fun. Incidentally, on the vanishingly rare occasions my wife accompanies me to a game and someone nearby uses that evil word (I don’t mean ‘fat’, I mean the other one), they always turn around and offer me profuse apologies. They don’t say sorry to her, just to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

What issue(s) exactly are you trying to draw attention to with this thread and how is the article relevent SectionF?

kerash wrote: »
    What issue(s) exactly are you trying to draw attention to with this thread and how is the article relevent SectionF?

I think its easier to just add him to your ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Which team is that? For internationals I do invoke my German passport.

Makes sense. Ireland aren't winners, are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I for one am tired of all this bashing of the so-called 'barstool brigade' who simply happen to worship at the church of Premiership instead of standing in a shed on a cold wet Friday night to watch players that no one has ever heard of.

Some LOI fans are under the impression that they can succeed in shaming Irish Premiership fans into supporting the domestic game by criticising the tv shows they watch and by pointing out the contradictory nature of their very existence.
    This method will not work and the idea in itself is a clear misapprehension by LOI zealots.

The simple reason many Irish fans prefer the Premiership to the LOI is simply because they have more discerning taste than LOI fans. Irish Premiership fans follow the Premiership because it is a better product than the LOI and there is no arguing this point.

Were the Premiership to cease to exist tomorrow these Irish Premiership fans would not blindly convert to a shoddy lesser product such as the LOI. No, they would instead switch their attentions to another equally worthy form of entertainment in a different field. Perhaps a visit to National Concert Hall would be their thing or maybe even take in a season of Bergman movies at the local art-house cinema for a form of distraction? Who knows, but needless to say both of these pursuits would certainly take the fancy (and €€€'s) of Irish prem fans before the LOI ever would.

So please all LOI fans, stop preaching to Irish Premiership fans. They have taste, they have made their decision and are not for turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Pigman II wrote: »
    I for one am tired of all this bashing of the so-called 'barstool brigade' who simply happen to worship at the church of Premiership

Oh, is that what this thread is about?:confused:
    instead of standing in a shed on a cold wet Friday night to watch players that no one has ever heard of.
    You dont mind a bit of bashing yourself though?:confused:

For the record, I am tired of this tit for tat bullsh1t too, so very very tired.

Were the Premiership to cease to exist tomorrow these Irish Premiership fans would not blindly convert to a shoddy lesser product such as the LOI. No, they would instead switch their attentions to another equally worthy form of entertainment in a different field. Perhaps a visit to National Concert Hall would be their thing or maybe even take in a season of Bergman movies at the local art-house cinema for a form of distraction? Who knows, but needless to say both of these pursuits would certainly take the fancy (and €€€'s) of Irish prem fans before the LOI ever would.

Assuming you are not joking:

I've nothing really to say to this. I just wanted to quote it so I can reference it again when talking to other football fans on boards. And that includes EPL fans, LOI fans; SPL fans; La Liga fans or whatever.

This is actually what football has come to. Even the most derided Far East/Surrey fan archetype would never actually admit this.

Ireland. Oh, Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I for one am tired of all this bashing of the so-called 'barstool brigade' who simply happen to worship at the church of Premiership instead of standing in a shed on a cold wet Friday night to watch players that no one has ever heard of.

Some LOI fans are under the impression that they can succeed in shaming Irish Premiership fans into supporting the domestic game by criticising the tv shows they watch and by pointing out the contradictory nature of their very existence.
    This method will not work and the idea in itself is a clear misapprehension by LOI zealots.

The simple reason many Irish fans prefer the Premiership to the LOI is simply because they have more discerning taste than LOI fans. Irish Premiership fans follow the Premiership because it is a better product than the LOI and there is no arguing this point.

So please all LOI fans, stop preaching to Irish Premiership fans. They have taste, they have made their decision and are not for turning.
    Pathetic, just pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ah

Where to begin, or more like where to end

As some know I've recently (past 2 seasons) taken a bigger interest in the league of Ireland, as its more accessible to get to games living in Dublin the past 3 years or so. Points that have to made here:

1) The standard is not as bad as people make it out to be
    2) There is something great, magical even, about attending a game live. TV just cant compare to it
    3) "Its my league" "Its your league" "Its not my league" etc, erm its football on your doorstep. If going to these games and showing/developing an interest will improve the football in this country; thus improving the Irish national team, the ecomony, the country's moral even. Helps the pocket too, those trips to Old Trafford/Anfield/Celtic Park costin a few quid regardless of the sterling :)
    4) Its nice to be a part of something thats close to you. I stood at Dalymount and other stadiums around the country, I heard Irish peoples voices, discussing Irish things and matters, eating Irish tuck and singing Irish songs. Now dont get me wrong, we dont have to be green as green can be - but this is the patch we graze on, so lets make sure the grass grows back and as tall as possible.

I, for one, will continue to watch and "support" Manchester United also. As a child I grew up listening to my Dad and his brothers argue and discuss football, and my Dad after living in Manchester for years and raring 3 kids there is a red throughout. Saw the likes of Best and Stiles play live. My uncles are blue as blue can be. Well ones a peterborough fan (cant be helped).

I have no problem with people "supporting" United, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal etc...Im gonna love the banter here in work when the pool fans come in and the emails start flying.

I just wish sometimes that it was about Pats, Rovers, Bohs and Cork City.

And Dont slaughter Section F and the likes, I know where they are coming from. They dont think they're greener then any of yee, I see it from both sides and I know how puzzling it seems to them that people cant support there own/the country the reside in, or at least show an interest.

Hold on a sec. I follow the English Premiership too, as well as Division One! For all you know, I'm a bigger fan of English football than you are, but then this isn't supposed to be a contest.
    I'm merely pointing out some of the issues raised by Prof Weed and by Rod Liddle, both respected commentators, that address anxieties on the game... the loss of atmosphere at live football as part of the shift to television, and the general sanitisation of the sport. That's not exclusively an LoI issue, but it is relevant to LoI, in the same way as it is to fans of Millwall and non-Premiership clubs generally.

But if you want to pretend everything is perfect in the EPL that's fine by me.
    Were the Premiership to cease to exist tomorrow these Irish Premiership fans would not blindly convert to a shoddy lesser product such as the LOI. No, they would instead switch their attentions to another equally worthy form of entertainment in a different field. Perhaps a visit to National Concert Hall would be their thing or maybe even take in a season of Bergman movies at the local art-house cinema for a form of distraction?

NCH and Bergman. You think? Should we test it with a survey? We could include it with Sky Sports renewal notices and see what we get. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just my 2 cents....

My sig is the team i support. i was born and raised in that city and the first ever football match i went to was in their stadium. I guess i was somewhat influenced by the fact that a former player of that club was my neighbour and another neighbour has had a list of functions at that club, too long to mention.

I have been away from Holland for 7 years now but it never even crossed my mind not to support them. And to be honest. Apart from winning the UEFA cup in 2002, the last 7 years they have not been what you call succesfull.

I am not blaming anyone for supporting teams that are not based in their own city or country. I just can not understand it.
    I do have a preference for teams in other countries. In the UK it will be Arsenal, in Spain it switched between Real and Barca. That preference usually comes with the players they have under contract or had under contract. You can say i have a preference for those teams once they had or have some ex-Feyenoord favourites under contract.
    Makes it a bit hard for the premier league with Kuyt, Van Persie and Kalou playing there. (oh.. just the thought they could have been the front line of Feyenoord nowadays....)

What i want to say with all this is, that in my opinion you can only be a true fan/supporter of a club if you have a strong bond with that club. Whether you were born in the city, it was the first team you ever saw live, something that "poisened" you for life.

Is it possible to have a strong preference for a foreign team?... sure. Is it possible to be a true supporter of a foreign team? ... nah.

Agree or disagree .... it is just my opinion.

good post

Another thing I might add
    "We support our local team" chant has come back from the dead lately, especially at Old Trafford. A mate of mine was discussing it with me and used it as a good argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It doesn't surprise me a certain post was lost on a few posters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

inforfun wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents....

My sig is the team i support. i was born and raised in that city and the first ever football match i went to was in their stadium. I guess i was somewhat influenced by the fact that a former player of that club was my neighbour and another neighbour has had a list of functions at that club, too long to mention.

I have been away from Holland for 7 years now but it never even crossed my mind not to support them. And to be honest. Apart from winning the UEFA cup in 2002, the last 7 years they have not been what you call succesfull.

I am not blaming anyone for supporting teams that are not based in their own city or country. I just can not understand it.
    I do have a preference for teams in other countries. In the UK it will be Arsenal, in Spain it switched between Real and Barca. That preference usually comes with the players they have under contract or had under contract. You can say i have a preference for those teams once they had or have some ex-Feyenoord favourites under contract.
    Makes it a bit hard for the premier league with Kuyt, Van Persie and Kalou playing there. (oh.. just the thought they could have been the front line of Feyenoord nowadays....)

What i want to say with all this is, that in my opinion you can only be a true fan/supporter of a club if you have a strong bond with that club. Whether you were born in the city, it was the first team you ever saw live, something that "poisened" you for life.

Is it possible to have a strong preference for a foreign team?... sure. Is it possible to be a true supporter of a foreign team? ... nah.

Agree or disagree .... it is just my opinion.

I was in Rotterdam last week, there was a lovely little Feyenoord shop, which seemed to have pretty much everything. Feyenoord and Sparta jackets everywhere. Was so refreshing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unearthly wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me a certain post was lost on a few posters

yup, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There is no onus on any Irish person to go and support an Irish club soccer team. Why would somebody go to a below average soccer game when they can go to a Senor club GAA match and at least know that they are watching the game being played at a very high standard.

GAA is the top sport in this country. I'm used to watching top level Irish sport so why would I be expected to then go and watch drab soccer when I can switch on the TV or take a flight for next to nothing over to England and have my fill of top quality soccer just like I do GAA.

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is no onus on any Irish person to go and support an Irish club soccer team. Why would somebody go to a below average soccer game when they can go to a Senor club GAA match and at least know that they are watching the game being played at a very high standard.

GAA is the top sport in this country. I'm used to watching top level Irish sport so why would I be expected to then go and watch drab soccer when I can switch on the TV or take a flight for next to nothing over to England and have my fill of top quality soccer just like I do GAA.
    I'm hoping we can avoid the GAA v football thing here, but let's just say that drabness is in the eye of the beholder. Some LoI games are exciting, sometimes they fail to spark, but that happens in football everywhere, especially when it is played tactically.

But to your question. The reason you might go to a live match instead of watching exclusively on television or travelling to another country is for the love of the game. That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm hoping we can avoid the GAA v football thing here, but let's just say that drabness is in the eye of the beholder. Some LoI games are exciting, sometimes they fail to spark, but that happens in football everywhere, especially when it is played tactically.

But to your question. The reason you might go to a live match instead of watching exclusively on television or travelling to another country is for the love of the game. That's all.
    Oh don't get me wrong I love the game, but I love watching top level sports even more.
    As a result I go to GAA in Ireland and Soccer in England.

Or else watch it on TV.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong I love the game, but I love watching top level sports even more.
    As a result I go to GAA in Ireland and Soccer in England.

Or else watch it on TV.

So what do you think of the Prof and Rod Liddle's observations? Do you think the English live experience is more subdued?

DSB wrote: »
    I was in Rotterdam last week, there was a lovely little Feyenoord shop, which seemed to have pretty much everything. Feyenoord and Sparta jackets everywhere. Was so refreshing.

As far as i know there is 2 Feyenoord shops in Rotterdam. 1 next to the Feyenoord Stadium and 1 in the city centre but they will both sell Feyenoord stuff exclusively.
    There are shops though that sell stuff from other clubs but they don't do only football stuff. They would more qualify for being a souvenir shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Not a chance this would happen, unless Sky Sports/RTE start televising the above events. Do you serious think Irish-based English Premiership fans would get off their collective arses and attend something regularly?....
    Nah, didn't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Im a huge Liverpool fan, watch them whenever their on tv, know the reserve players etc etc. For the simple reason I cant afford to go over to anfield every week is why I have to be content with watching them on the tv.

Also the fact that when I first got into football it was liverpool I was brought up supporting.

Someone mentioned if the premiership disbanded what would happen it would be simple. I would no longer support a team as in my oppinion you cant just "start" supporting some new team.

Id be exactly the same if I had been brought up to support galway utd or whoever it just happened that that team was Liverpool. I dont feel the need to apoligise to the loi brigade for this.

Like it or lump it to be honest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Publin wrote: »
    Not a chance this would happen, unless Sky Sports/RTE start televising the above events. Do you serious think Irish-based English Premiership fans would get off their collective arses and attend something regularly?....
    Nah, didn't think so.

what are you on about :confused: Its reads like you're says that if you support a premiership team you are a lazy cnut who sits around home...

I hate that kind of preachy ****e...

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Makes sense. Ireland aren't winners, are they?

Why does it matter? I have a German passport and an Irish one, I choose to support the Germans. If I feel more attached to grmany surely it would be unpatriotic to support Ireland.

Plus they win stuff.

joe123 wrote: »
    I would no longer support a team as in my oppinion you cant just "start" supporting some new team.

Its an opinion, however having experienced it I disagree. Attending Bohemians games gives me something I never had

- Football on my doorstep
    - Entertainment before the pub on a Friday night :)
    - Atmostphere, banter, enjoyment with fellow Irish (and others I might add)
    - LIVE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alot to be said for being close to a pub geographically and emotionally. You hear the rumours of the players in the stand, you witness everything for yourself, you hear the chants live, you participate with the chants. You are the part of the club, you are the club. Something you dont get from listening to Jeff "oh jolly his first goal in yeeeeahs" Stelling, or "We won it fihhhve times" "We support our local team" etc from your cosy living room or local.

Nothing wrong with supporting Liverpool, Manchester United/City, Arsenal and the likes but believe you me you are missing out.
    joe123 wrote: »
    Like it or lump it to be honest :rolleyes:

Okay so

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm merely pointing out some of the issues raised by Prof Weed and by Rod Liddle, both respected commentators

respected commentators? Are you kidding? Do you even know who Rod Liddle is? The famous racist anti muslim, french and Irish far right BNP supporting journo? Famously cautioned for attacking his pregnant girlfriend? ffs even Eamon Dunphy thinks he is a gutter journalist!
    (Any excuse to post this rant!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

inforfun wrote: »

I have to disagree strongly with this statement, as much as I respect every other point you made I don't think you can say this just because you aren't a true supporter of a foreign club. I personally support Inter and was born and bred in Dublin, to say that I'm not a true supporter because I was born in the wrong place is utter crap imo. I have been a season ticket holder for Inter and went to most home games while I was living in Ireland and if I could afford it wouldn't miss a match. I will support them til the day I die, if this does not make me a true supporter what does?
    Trilla wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with supporting Liverpool, Manchester United/City, Arsenal and the likes but believe you me you are missing out.
    I believe that this could be aimed at me too, could you please tell me how I am missing out?(it probably should be was as I now live in Auckland, NZ where I would not be able to got to Milan every other week). I regularly watched one of the best teams in Europe play live and in a stadium with over 80,000 people where the atmosphere is amazing, if that is missing out then I'm happy to miss out.

I do agree that the EPL is suffering because the fans are being controlled too much though and are not allowed to create an atmosphere at the games due to there being too many restrictions at the stadiums though. The stadiums are too quiet imo and people aren't allowed to stand any more which doesn't help either.

Why does it matter? I have a German passport and an Irish one, I choose to support the Germans. If I feel more attached to grmany surely it would be unpatriotic to support Ireland.

Plus they win stuff.

• Advertisement

dor83 wrote: »
    I believe that this could be aimed at me too, could you please tell me how I am missing out?(it probably should be was as I now live in Auckland, NZ where I would not be able to got to Milan every other week). I regularly watched one of the best teams in Europe play live and in a stadium with over 80,000 people where the atmosphere is amazing, if that is missing out then I'm happy to miss out.

How in Gods name was that targetted at you if you followed a team and regulary watched them live in a stadium? It was targetted at the "package deal" "barstool" supporters when there is football at their doorstep on their own soil.

Anyhow each to their own, I just feel ppl are missing out on an experience. One that belongs to them

I personally support Inter and was born and bred in Dublin, to say that I'm not a true supporter because I was born in the wrong place is utter crap imo.
    Interesting. How did you come to support Inter? Are you of Italian extraction?

copacetic wrote: »
    rffs even Eamon Dunphy thinks he is a gutter journalist!
    Then he comes with no higher recommendation.

Whatever about your moral judgement on Liddle, what do you think of his opinion on the sanitization of football?

I have to disagree strongly with this statement, as much as I respect every other point you made I don't think you can say this just because you aren't a true supporter of a foreign club. I personally support Inter and was born and bred in Dublin, to say that I'm not a true supporter because I was born in the wrong place is utter crap imo. I have been a season ticket holder for Inter and went to most home games while I was living in Ireland and if I could afford it wouldn't miss a match. I will support them til the day I die, if this does not make me a true supporter what does?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Interesting. How did you come to support Inter? Are you of Italian extraction?

Yes, what CiaranC says....

As always there are always exceptions. I ve heard of an English guy who gets to the Feyenoord Stadium every 2 weeks, travelling from the North-East of the UK. Not a clue how he got infected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well I am from Tipperary so going on that rational I should support nobody in football at all just up to junior level, I have no right what so ever to follow any senior soccer, thanks for clearing that up for me :rolleyes: Talk about self righteous pompous crap :mad:

Well I am from Tipperary so going on that rational I should support nobody in football at all just up to junior level, I have no right what so ever to follow any senior soccer, thanks for clearing that up for me :rolleyes: Talk about self righteous pompous crap :mad:
    Well obviously you should support either Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or (if you are young enough) Chelsea. So which is it?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Well obviously you should support either Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal or (if you are young enough) Chelsea. So which is it?

Well this will really feed the anger and bitterness of the LOI brigade but I am a very proud Celtic supporter :eek:, and when watching the premiership I would allways follow Arsenal because Liam Brady was the greatest player to ever come from these shores imo off course :P

* imagine that he supports two teams jaysus i didnt know you could do that

Well this will really feed the anger and bitterness of the LOI brigade but I am a very proud Celtic supporter :eek:, and when watching the premiership I would allways follow Arsenal because Liam Brady was the greatest player to ever come from these shores imo off course :P

* imagine that he supports two teams jaysus i didnt know you could do that

I think most LoI supporters follow two teams.

Anyway, this is way off the topic, which isn't LoI v English football, but live football v teleball.

I think most LoI supporters follow two teams.

Anyway, this is way off the topic, which isn't LoI v English football, but live football v teleball.

Fair enough but due to my location i dont really get the opportunity to see live football above junior level and when I was living in Dublin I attended quite a number of Bohs games which while i did enjoy the experience I always felt there was a certain element of supporters there who would frown upon so called ''outsiders'' just because I hadnt supported Bohs all my life and was actually there just wanted to see live football

Fair enough but due to my location i dont really get the opportunity to see live football above junior level and when I was living in Dublin I attended quite a number of Bohs games which while i did enjoy the experience I always felt there was a certain element of supporters there who would frown upon so called ''outsiders'' just because I hadnt supported Bohs all my life and was actually there just wanted to see live football
    I discovered live football just five years ago, and have to say, I never experienced that vibe at Dalymount Park. In fact, people couldn't have been more welcoming.
    Most loyal fans of the club are desperate to see more coming through the gates. In any club, in any sport, you'll always get an old clique who think they're a cut above, but they are few and far between and are easily ignored.

• Advertisement
Advertisement