Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideal land parcel sizes for growing bio-crops

• 10-01-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey,

Would anyone know or know where I could look, to find out the ideal field size for growing wheat, barley and rape seed? In terms of using a combine harvester to harvest the crop once grown, what does this mean for the field layout.

This is for a project that uses 59 acre piece of industrial wasteland in London. I'm guessing, long strips of fields may be best, the width of which could be a multiple of the area needed for the combine to turn.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think this may be more suitable for the green Issues forum.

Moved from Renewable Energies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

When I was driving combines, I'd almost always work from one side of the field/plot to the other, running up and down the same side.
    A combine will easily turn in its own width using the independent brakes, and depending on the width of the header and width of the headland, may even be able to do it without the brakes.
    From a machinery efficiency point of view, make the plots as long as possible, to minimise downtime in the turns.
    Ideally and for maximum efficiency, the whole area should be worked in monoculture, but that may or may not be practically achievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

Thanks man. I understand the concept of crop rotation. But would a wheat-clover rotation mean you would plant wheat in spring and harvest it in autumn, then straight away plant the clover in the autumn and then harvest it the following spring? So there is always something growing, ie no fallow period, and there are two harvests every 12 months, 1 wheat and 1 clover???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I just operated the machinery, crop husbandry was left to others more qualified than me. :D
    Try asking over in Farming & Forestry, there's bound to be someone there who knows what they're talking about.

Advertisement