Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Car with 12 months MOT - Does that count in Ireland

Options
  • 10-01-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Headline says it all.

Does UK Car with 12 months MOT count in Ireland?

Or do I have to NCT it from that first date registered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You nave to NCT it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Headline says it all.

Does UK Car with 12 months MOT count in Ireland?

Or do I have to NCT it from that first date registered?

AFAIK the MOT means diddily squart here and you'll have to NCT it here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yup, it means nothing, you'll have to NCT it as soon as you re-regsiter it. Only advantage to having valid MOT is that the car would probably be in better condition than if it wasn't MOT'd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Already been said but yes, you have to NCT it.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Frig....well hopefully it was first registered in June of 05....that would give me some breathing space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not if the new regulations are approved before then.

Two quotes from that thread.

".....likely implementation date for changes is first half of 2010"

"Conor Faughnan was on the last word and he said that he presumed it would only apply to imported cars that were over 4 years old, said it would be mad to nct a 6month old car."

Thanks for the link though......as I will have my car next weekend I will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Excellent.
    wish you many kilometers of happy motoring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not if the new regulations are approved before then.

those regulations weren't in as of last Monday when I VRT'd my car so I'd say the OP is safe enough

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The only thing to be said for buying an English car with a 12 month MOT is the fact that it must be in some reasonable condition. If i was buying one, even though it would be void over here, i'd still make sure it had a fresh MOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

if you are importing a car from UK to Ireland, you can claim the tax that was paid in the UK back for the remainder of tax disc til expiry AFAIK

Thanks Slim....thanks lads for the good advice.

It was first registered on 3 June 05 so I am good to go.

Will look into that so vengeance52 because I read elsewhere that if I register it on 20 Jan I will have to pay the full month of January's Road Tax.

Advertisement