Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Saturday Sports Show on Newstalk

• 10-01-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Does anyone else out there in Radio Land find Je..r..r..y O'Sull....i...van to be one of the most irritating presenters on the wireless!!

It's not what he says but how he says it - every single sentence descends into staccato and approx every 3rd / 4th word is "ah" or "em"!

Over the last few weeks they've tweaked the format slightly by having two presenters, which, I suppose, is meant to bring an element of 'banter' to proceedings but as with most of Newstalks ideas lately, is just plain annoying and doesn't work at all.

At least on a Sunday they just rip off 5 live or Premier League radios commentaries and you know you're going to get quality.

As with many of the posts re Newstalk, I used to listen to the station religiously but I find myself tuning to it less and less. The football show on Off the Ball and Talking History are about the only things worth listening to anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Staccato seems to all the rage in Newstalk.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's appalling he's also the shows producer so he can sack himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I've been saying for ages that this show and presenter are terrible, there is no need for another sports show on saturday especially if its the same as what RTE do at the same time, at least Today Fm have live football and it's own commentators and staff at the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Sports seems to be the only thing Newstalk can do right imo. Thought the show today was good but the constant 'what do you think,text in on 53106' got annoying. Does anyone else think there's a chance that Newstalk will completely rebrand in the next 12months and become an exclusively sports station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Does anyone else think there's a chance that Newstalk will completely rebrand in the next 12months and become an exclusively sports station?

No chance, for two reasons.

The BCI would have a fit (but have previous in changes of format, Radio Ireland > Today FM) and secondly, I can't see Dinny throwing more good money after bad and buys rights for live sports coverage.

Remember that when the rights for the GAA championship were announced last year, RTÉ got live rights, Today FM got the rights to cover matches live from the stadiums for news bulletin updates etc, and Newstalk got nothing.

I remember just tuning on a championship Sunday last year to see what Newstalk were doing, and it was amateur, imo.

• Advertisement

The only live rights they have are two Prem matches on Sunday and they are opt ins to coverage by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I can't listen to any of their weekend sports coverage.

Jerry sounds like he has a cold and needs to clear his throat constantly. Plus, not only is he the producer of the show, he is the head of sport at Newstalk, so I reckon we are stuck with him for a while yet.
    They do have some good interviews, but it's not in the same league as Off The Ball.

Oisin is too enthusiastic....and he says "folks" way too much. Also, he pimps for texts more than all other newstalk presenters combined. Yes I know his 'sports fan's phone in show' is meant to get punters on air, etc, but he must pimp for texts about 3 times per link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Jerry doesn't have the voice, personality or talent to be a radio presenter. You would think it impossible to fluff every sentence you speak - Jerry can. Can't even have it on as background noise.

Oisin is just about bearable - but what the f**k is "you keep it classy now Ireland" supposed to mean.

Oisin is from the wilds of the west Waterford hillybits I belive, they talk like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

the 'stay classy Ireland' bit is an Anchorman reference, another annoying habit of Jerry's is "We'll see how that one pans out" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

mike65 wrote: »
    Oisin is from the wilds of the west Waterford hillybits I belive, they talk like that.

Sounds like a worrying place for sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Sounds like a worrying place for sheep.

Ewe said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Akilduss

mike65 wrote: »

No they don't! No-one there talks like that!

Advertisement