Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question in relation to Credit Cards

Options
  • 10-01-2009 6:05pm

Hi all, i was just wondering if i could ask a quick question in relation to credit card usage:

Say i want to buy an item in a shop (TV, Fridge, or something that goes into a few hundred euro) can i use a friends credit card in the store on my own, or do i need to have her there with me? (credit card belongs to a girl, and im a man, so they'll know it isn't mine).

Jut wondering if i can use the card on my own, or will they ask me to get her to come up.

Cheers for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You should not have in your possesion someone else's card, let alone be using it.

I used to work in retail, and I have stopped people with non-matching names on cards. You do not have the right to participate in a contract with the retailer, giving them permission to take money from someone else's card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Take her with you.

Cheers guys, just wanted to know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

to answer your question *can* you rather than are you allowed to - the answer is yes.
    for family shopping i use my dads credit card all the time.
    as in another thread moved by dudara (all i remember about it :) - maybe something about esb laser cards) if you are using the chip and pin facility the onus is with the owner of the card rather than the shop, so i doubt you will get any hassle from them.

Anyone have any facts about this ? i probably should look at the terms and conditions of a credit card :) hmmm might have one on my desk here somewhere *looks around*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

right following up you may not use.
    ref: terms & conditions from BOI for their credit card
    The Credit Card
    "3. The credit card and the related PIN if issued or obtained for use wiuth thec redit card may be used only by the person to whom or for whose use the credit card was issued"

Your friend should be able to get an additional credit card under your name for their account - if she trusts you that much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Although it's possible to get away with it, it would be considered a serious breach of the terms and conditions of the card if her issuer found out.

Likewise, the shop, if they noticed it, would not let you continue as it would look very suspicious.

Why can't your friend buy the item herself?
    Why can't you get your own debit/credit card?

Thanks for the help Samhail. Great stuff.

Dotsman, she never uses her credit card, so gave it to me (i use it a lot for ebay, and other online purchases, usually via Paypal) but this is the first time I've needed to buy something in the "real" world with it, so im not sure. Getting her to come is a bit of hassle i'd rather avoid, but if it must be done..

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Can you get your own credit card that is yours?
    Much easier or maybe change her name to yours or apply for joint card for that account.
    She is a very good friend to give you her card.

Advertisement