Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coding Help

Options
  • 10-01-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I'm currently designing a new portfolio website for my design work.

My aim is to create a simple visual design with minimal elements. I want a simple text menu on the left and content on the right.

However I was wondering how I would go about coding the site so that I don't need to update the menu on each individual page when I add additional links to my main menu in he future.

I know iFrames is an option but I wan't to stay clear of this as I'd like all my different links to appear in separate URLs.

I'd appreciate any advise/help on this matter.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If you can use PHP, then use <?php include("menu.php"); ?> with the code for your menu in that file.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Check out Server Side Includes too, they're very simple and easy to use.

Also, if you use Dreamweaver, check out it's Templating features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    If you can use PHP, then use <?php include("menu.php"); ?> with the code for your menu in that file.

I'm not really experienced enough to include PHP on my website. Is it possible with HTML? Thanks for the reply.

p wrote: »
    Check out Server Side Includes too, they're very simple and easy to use.

Also, if you use Dreamweaver, check out it's Templating features.

I am using Dreamweaver. Will the templating feature allow me to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

peejay1986 wrote: »

Yup! If you have the put menu within the template in an un-editable area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I'm not really experienced enough to include PHP on my website. Is it possible with HTML? Thanks for the reply.
    The PHP way he suggested was actually as complicated as that, but still, Server Side Includes are pretty much HTML and probably the best way to do this.
    Yes, that is why I suggested it when you asked how to solve that problem. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement