Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

homemade lightbox C&C

• 10-01-2009 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hey all saw a DIY lightbox online and decided to make one myself with 2 halogen work lights and a cardboard box. Just put anything i could find in the box so there's an asortment of items. Anyone ever do this? any tips or comments all welcome :D
    i wasnt sure about the exposure should i over expose normally to white out the background like in dino2?

Thanks
    Trizo

3184610323_2cba184656.jpg?v=0
    3185454022_a852f67706.jpg?v=0
    3185453742_65acafa83a.jpg?v=0
    3184609539_f9aa0670a0.jpg?v=0
    3185453142_b2f523c513.jpg?v=0
    3185452840_298282ce74.jpg?v=0
    3185452280_88e9c2543e.jpg?v=0
    3185452548_21ebd5e4ed.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Looks very good, but I think that the white ballance is a little off.
    By the way, some halogen lights don't have the same spectrum of colours like the Sun and the flash gun, so be careful about reproduction of colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

ThOnda wrote: »
    Looks very good, but I think that the white ballance is a little off.
    By the way, some halogen lights don't have the same spectrum of colours like the Sun and the flash gun, so be careful about reproduction of colours.

Hi ThOnda,

Thanks yeah i was thinking the white balance was a little off i usually shoot in Raw and then bring them into canon's DPP and then just correct the WB there but unlike landscapes etc i was unsure what to use i think some are white florescent and others tungsten , i guess its trial and error until i figure out the correct WB. Would there be a better type of light to use to the side and above the lightbox?

Trizo

I would go with flash guns. That what I did in this picture. But I had not built a light tent, I bought a foldable laundry basket at M&S :D

I would go with flash guns. That what I did in this picture. But I had not built a light tent, I bought a foldable laundry basket at M&S :D

Haha i like it :D
    i think i have the WB a bit better now

3184694107_474fe4a99e.jpg?v=0

The advantage of manual setting of your camera is that if there is something incorrect, e.g. white ballance, you can correct all pictures in the same way in a batch. Let computer do the repetitive work, they were designed for such tasks! :pac:

And yes, it looks whiter now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You're brilliant. I'm going to use that idea when I get my DSLR back. I had been thinking about building a light box and frankly it was finding some where to store it was causing me some concern.

I've a load of jewellery to photograph.

By the way, that shot is fantastic. duly favourited.

The idea about shopping at M&S was posted here few months ago. But not having didjital camera, I haven't bought it. Now I did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Borderfox posted it up at the time I think.

What did you use for an infinity curve?

I had lifted my chair and shot heading down :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

White balance can be a problem when using non standard lights. I sometimes use this card which I bought from http://www.rawworkflow.com/whibal/. It works very well IMO.

Dave OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

If you shoot in RAW the white balance can be adjusted afterwards.
    I use the Canon software that came with my Digital Rebel, DPPreview and it can produce any white balance you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Anouilh wrote: »

yes, but if you have more than one light source and they aren't at the same "colour" that is something no RAW software can fix

Anouilh wrote: »
    I use the Canon software that came with my Digital Rebel, DPPreview and it can produce any white balance you like.

Hi,
    Yeah this is exactly what im using i always shoot in Raw and use manual i then use DPP to adjust the white balance(thats why i dont shoot JPG) for some reason i cant get it uniform though there seems to be some variations in colour im putting this down to the fact that i was moving the lights a fair bit just to see the difference.

I think next time the import thing is to keep everything exactly consistent i.e not moving the side lights or the tripod.Theres also a register function in DPP which allows you to save white balances and then use them in other pictures looks promising.

I have seen those white/grey cards mentioned a fair bit so ill look into that.

Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Calina wrote: »
    You're brilliant. I'm going to use that idea when I get my DSLR back. I had been thinking about building a light box and frankly it was finding some where to store it was causing me some concern.

I've a load of jewellery to photograph.

By the way, that shot is fantastic. duly favourited.

IMG_0517.jpg

Bit blown out but you get the idea, the base is a clipboard
    IMG_3654.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

... I bought a foldable laundry basket at M&S :D

M&S have 20% off bathroom accessories items at the moment in their sale

Online price STG£5.00

In shop ROI Price Eur 7.75 less 20% = Eur 6.20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

RoryW wrote: »
    M&S have 20% off bathroom accessories items at the moment in their sale

Online price STG£5.00

In shop ROI Price Eur 7.75 less 20% = Eur 6.20

The exact same thing is also available in Dunnes for €6.

Advertisement