Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Have an appointment for the morning to get a prescription of this from the doctors :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Well day 3 of champix and I was dreading having to drive for work, low and behold no side effects (after a sound nights sleep). Haven't cut down yet but they are starting to seem pointless and taste like sh*t. First if the 2x.5 tomorrow! Pout glad to hear your not feeling bad and well done Hell Razer! Good luck tomorrow LadyE

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Thanks deisenaut I took my first day of 2 tabs today went grand not a bother I do seem to be fighting off a cold or something so I'm glad to report the champix does'nt seem to be causing any trouble. I agree the fags are beginning to seem pointless and taste rough too.
    It's great there'll be a few of us all starting around the same time. Good luck LadyE & well done Hellrazor, I found a cold drink of water helped wipe out those cravings the first few days, this'll be my 2nd attempt I'll be taking my own advice LOL

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Deisenaut--Thats the same way I started.They just seem to taste wierd and you find yourself only smoking like a half or less of each ciggie.

Poutbutton--youre right an ice cold glass of water helps with the cravings alright--along with loads of chocolate ;)
    I think my wife will be signing me up for a gym--Anyone know if theres a Champix equivalent for chocolate?

LadyE--Good luck today--you wont look back if you manage to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Sorry if this has been asked before but i was wondering is it difficult to get your doctor to prescribe Champix. I have been smoking on and off for about ten years and now smoke about 20 a day. My doctor recently told me i should try to give them up but never mentioned Champix. Well done to all who have given up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 fergal76

Hi all, only started taking the tablets today. bit nervous after reading all the horror stories out there. But if this stops me from smoking. its all good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Talkabout--Just tell the doc that youve tried everything and nothing worked so you want to try the champix.

Fergal--fair play to you.Dont worry the horror stories are just that.The nausea was the worst for me and even thats gone now.And today Ive no cravings at all.

nausea, i can handle. been smoking for 20 years currently on 20 a day. patches did not work for me. so really gonna give this a try

I was really worried by the horror stories and had even decided there was no way, anyway I am on day 4 now and no real side effects except 30 minutes nausea and a bit of a head ache.

I've also had a few doctors in my time and you will always get the one who believes that "if you got yourself in this mess, you get out the hard way". Insist on Champix and if they won't do it, then go to another doctor.

BTW - Quit day for me is this Sunday if anyone else is?

i set next wednesday as my quit date, but i think i might just quit the weekend

• Advertisement

Took the champix this morning, had terrible nausea all day and a tiny headache, but wasnt a bad one or anything.

How long do these take effect, this evening my cigarettes taste vile..just really smokey (if that makes sense)

I dont know if its all in my head tho :(

I do have a stomach ulcer, and it feels a little aggitated today tho. And its been ok the last couple of weeks. Doc said it should effect, but ill keep an eye on it.

Everyone seems to be really well!

Fergal Wednesday is my quit date too!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

LadyE.. I know I've mentioned this before, but I see a lot of new names since I joined this thread last January. Just make sure you take your meds with breakfast and dinner and follow-up with a lot of water. I have a peptic ulcer also and the medication never bothered me. I haven't had a cigarette since January 12th, 2009. But who's counting!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Thanks Hellrazer and Deisenaut for the replies. I think its time to make a doctors appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

What am I like? I was so busy today I forgot to take ANY Champix! so I'm a day behind, my quit day is next Monday, I rekon I'll do it just like last time on a Monday when I've a busy day of work ahead of me.
    LadE, I found I had a bad taste from cigs after the first tablet too. I also get that "smoked out" feeling in my chest going through the first week. It makes them so much easier to give up.
    Talkabout, Champix is the only non nicotene replacement out there. All those nicotene replacement products KEEP you addicted to nicotene, Champix eases you off it, eases you through 3 months by which time you are so off it that you wont go back. But as I learned you must stick with it, I gave it up too soon and am on my second attempt. But I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to stop smoking.
    Welcome Fergal76 and good luck! Deisenaut, if I go earlier than Monday, we'll be on the same quit day. Cant wait!

Thanks guys, will have my tablet with food tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

Hey Everybody Again:-) & DonnieL

Havent posted in a while! Well im off the ciggies 1 month today :D its a great feeeeeling! Its weird coz its gone so fast & cant believe its one month already! Dont get me wrong, i do think bout cigs at least once everyday! havent really craved tho, but other day i dreamt i lit up & WAS so annoyed at myself but then i woke up:) but then for that whole day i just thought of smoking but that was really it! Im a nurse & i suppose i look at the whole physiological changes haha and my oxygen levels have improved allot & my heart rate has nearly halved! so that keeps me going aswell:P

Good luck to Everyone giving up soon & those who are off them

Ill be in touch soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

DonnieL I was just readin back on previous posts & seen about ur clot :( thats terrible im so sorry to hear that! thank god your ok now though..:) Take care X

Nevevix, thanks for the well wishes. They currently have me on Coumadin daily and Lovenox injections every 12 hours until my INR levels out then I can quit the injections. I all ready feel like freakin' pin cushion!:rolleyes:

Glad to hear your doing so well! I know what you mean about the dreams. I still have them and I've been off the smokes since January. And yes, you really do feel so good when you wake up and realize it was just a dream!:D

I received the following from the Chantix "GETQUIT" Support for this week. They do this for a year from the date you join:
    From time to time, we've covered the great changes that can come from quitting smoking. Over time, your lungs may be cleaner. And your heart may not have to work so hard. For most people, the changes that take place from not smoking can start the first day they stub out that last cigarette.
    · Within 24 hours of quitting, the damage to your skin from smoking stops
    · After 48 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood may return to normal
    · 2 to 12 weeks after quitting, circulation may improve and lung function can increase
    · After one year of not smoking, excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's
    · 10 years after quitting, the risk of dying from lung cancer is half that of a smoker's
    · 15 years after quitting, the risk of stroke and coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker
    We know it hasn't been easy. But knowing the good things that quitting can mean to your body should be a powerful reason to commit to staying quit. Can you think of better reasons to fight those urges than improved health and longer life?
    Keep up the good work! We'll be back next week with more encouragement, and some interesting information you can use to improve another important part of your body.
    They also showed me that I'm on day 220 off the Cigs!!:D:):pac:

• Advertisement

Poutbutton, are you in Ireland? I'm up for Monday as quit day as very busy and Sunday I'm home alone so could be tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭rottweiler

Hey all
    On the champix myself,quit day is monday too,only had 1 cig so far today its usually about 10 by now so good to know the champix is working,best of luck to everyone else stopping smoking.

Fair play to all those stopping this week.Keep at it--its 100% worth sticking with the tabs.

Im doing grand here--zero cravings but still eating like a pig.I find Im even sleeping better and I dont know whether its in my head or not but I havent woken up with the "smokers cough" in 2 days.Even my breathing feels better and Ive more energy than I know what to do with--trying to find things to keep me busy.Ended up painting the new extension last night until after midnight just for something to do :)

Hey Hellrazer! Good for you! Yeah, I gained a few pounds myself that I'm now trying to get rid of. (about a stone and a half) But Chantix tells you up front not to concentrate on the weight issue. Kick the HABIT first!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kitty_dillon1@h

Hi Guys
    this is my second time around on Champix!!was off the cigs nearly 4 months and stupidly started having the odd one when drinking and about 2/3 weeks ago went back on them. So still taking Champix and stopped again Sunday and yesterday I had awful cravings so i had one but didn't enjoy it that much. I don't think I was ready to stop Sunday so I'm going to treat this like my first time round and plan to stop within the next week again. Here's hoping!!

Hi All,

Day 3 for me, the first coupe of days, i felt bloated and really ill but today i feel fine. Also i am a 20 a day man but the first two days i only smoked 10 and so far today, i have only smoked 3 but i am going drinking tonight so will try my best. i have set wednesday as my quit date so not too bothered about tonight but i am really impressed by how much i have cut down in 3 days. i have to admit though after the first couple of days, i thought how am i gonna handle 3 months feeling this ill. did not think the tablets would kick in that quick

I'm on day 6 and haven't cut down at all, but then again I haven't tried to, I will just wake up on Monday and not smoke ever again, at least thats the plan. However, i'm sure if I was trying to cut down first I could as haven't had any cravings. Side effects are non existent today, but only 1 more day till the dosage doubles again. Well done everyone! It looks like there's a few of us for Monday !

Its day three for me too, I havent cut down...nor do the smokes taste vile today.

I have had a sore feeling in my chest..and I am quite snappy :o

I dont know whether I should stick with Monday as quit day...will I feel the need to smoke less when the dosage is doubled tomorrow?

day 3 for both of us and we both have had some symthoms, for me cutting down has been ok but everyone is different.if you are not too sure about quitting on monday, then dont but try cutting down gradually. but you never know what might happen over the weekend :)

Deisenaut, good luck with the double dosage. i'm dreading it, if 1 small tablet can make me that sick, what will 2 do....putting it down to my body adjusting to the meds.

• Advertisement

Fergal drink a full glass of water with the tablet, it might help.

Ive had a stressful week, so am putting that down to not even cutting down Wish I wasnt so irritated tho :(

Advertisement