Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi All,

I'm hearing some grumbling out there about not easing up.. Come on everyone is different. Keep that in mind. And keep in mind that you spent "bookoo bucks" for these meds. Which means: "I'm going to quit Smoking"!!:rolleyes:

It's ok, just keep taking it, you'll know when you're ready to call the quit date. I know some who went 14 or mores days.;)

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I smoked for over 50 years on an average of 30 a day or more if I was out drinking and dancin'!! :eek:

I just wish that Chantix/Champix had been around years ago!! You all are very fortunate to have this help today. As you go back in this thread you'll also see quite a few who read Allan Carr's book on quitting and found it quite helpful.:)

OK now, hang in there and stop the grumbling! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 fergal76

i have been doing and after a meal as well but as i said today was a good day. no sick feeling.dont understand why you are feeling irriative if you are still smoking the same.but stick with it, it is def worth it in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Hope tomorrow is a good day for you again!

Thanks for that Donnie...the thought of being smoke free is worth the side effects I think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Deisenaut wrote: »
    Poutbutton, are you in Ireland? I'm up for Monday as quit day as very busy and Sunday I'm home alone so could be tough!

Yep I'm in Dublin Deisenaut. LadyE, you will notice the difference when you double the dose, it's quite distinct when you take a drag it tastes woeful! all for the good though.

I had trouble logging in, last night I could'nt log in at all and now it took 3 goes. Some glich with Boards I see. I am going to try double my dose tomorrow, i've been taking 0.5mg twice a day the past 2 days, tomorrow, i'm going to up the ante and dive into 4 tabs!

I've noticed increased energy too, and i'm still smoking! Just not as much as usual but i'm not trying to cut down it's happening naturally, it's great i'm getting loads done!

That's the Poutbutton we all know and Love!!!!!!! L.O.L.!! Get it goin' Girl!!:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

I just had a fag after 2 weeks totally off them, o god im so depressed!!

Just have to try again!!

At least this time i know for certain its doable

Ladd, Don't beat yourself up. Just stay on the meds, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep up the fight! They tell you if you slip, just keep on going!;)

Donnie you are just brillaint. Really a great addition to this thread!

Well this morning, I dont need to smoke as much, but I am anyway :(

I even lit one up and forgot about it and went and hung the washing out. That would NEVER usually happen. Good sign.

I think the whole thing with me is habit. I make a coffee and have a smoke, whether I need it or not, but I know of I didnt buy them then I would go mad because there isnt any available for me.

day 4 today is double dose friday for me, bring it on. went out last night and had a skinful but only smoked about 10 again yesterday so really happy with that and have had none today. and with regards to the sickness........

i feel good na na na na na na na

ladyE, the fact that you left that cig and went off doing something else is a good thing, as donnie said everybody is different. i remember one person back at the start of this thread was on day 16 and still smoking as he did at the start and then stopped completly. he was stunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

LadyE wrote: »
    but I know of I didnt buy them then I would go mad because there isnt any available for me.

I firmly believe this is what got me through the initial stages until I realised that I didn't need them anymore.

When I was giving up, I always had a pack with me so that if I felt I REALLY needed one, I could have one.

This puts you in a different mindset opposed to NOT ALLOWING yourself have one.

You are now in charge of the addiction, not your mind. You decide not to take one, even if they are sitting beside you.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that lads.

I can actually feel it in myself that I dont need one...I just need not to light one up!

Fergal your dong really well!

good at the moment, but that could change tomorrow. you never know. but i really want to get off of the smokes now and i will do as will you :)

I know. I think Im smoking just as much because of the mental block that monday is quit day!!

tomorrow is a different story tho!

OK, I have a confession to make. Chantix/Champix tell you to cut up, rip up, flush, or otherwise destroy any cigs you have left on your quit date!

Do you all have your "vestments" on to hear my confession? L.O.L.:D

Confession: In my kitchen freezer there are 6 1/2 packs of Benson and Hedges Menthol Cigarettes! :rolleyes:;)

The 1/2 pack is from the night before my quit date 8 months ago. Fortunately I've never had to touch them. The last time I tried to quit and got rid of all the smokes I ended up sneaking out and buying a pack!

Now I'm free of desire or urges and can even look at those 6 1/2 packs with "distain"!!:D

ha ha ha ha thats brilliant.

Could try putting them in the freezer alright :D

Happy Friday guys
    I doubled up today so I'm on the full dose nothing to report as yet. I woke this morning with a stonking cold...hoping it stays that way & does'nt develop into flu :eek: fingers crossed! I'm hoping the fags start tasting worse within the next 24 hours.

DonnieL I cant believe your still harbouring those sins in your freezer! It's high time you had a yard sale :pac: I'd have to get rid of them. If I know I have a pack I'll smoke them, same with chocolate you just cant have it in the house & not eat it!
    Well I'm definately smoking less. When I'm cooking dinner, I usually pop out to the garden & have a cigarette. Not today though, it never crossed my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Full doses start tomorrow, and this morning I forgot my tablet for the first time. Still on for Monday as the stop day!!! Good work everyone!!!

Poutbutton, you're a trip! ha! ha! ha! Those sins that I'm harbouring in my freezer are a good grim reminder as to what I used to be, a tired old smoker!

Now I'm a tired old non-smoker!!!! :D:):D L.O.L.!!!

Everyone, I am so ready to do this now. I just want you to look at what I have written in the notes on my phone for when times get tough. Take it or leave it but hopefully some of you will use it

Midnight 22-23rd August 2009

This is when I gave up smoking
    I have not smoked since
    I am a non smoker
    I am not a slave to this drug
    I do not need it
    Not smoking will not kill me
    Smoking will kill me, painfully
    People have endured tougher things than cravings
    All or nothing - not even a drag
    I have better lung capacity
    I can train longer
    I can train harder
    I do not smell of stale cigarettes
    I am healthier
    My son sees me as "a non smoker"

• Advertisement

Well I think I may just have bought my last pack of cigarettes, it's surreal looking at them knowing there wont be another pack in the house after they're gone.
    I doubled up yesterday and boy do the fags taste awful. I was at a party last night and only smoked a few compared with normal. I wonder will I actually smoke this entire pack? we'll see.
    Deisenaut, thats really good especially to put it in your phone, those times when you might be tempted, you can have a look and strengthen your resolve. There are these countdown calculators on the net too, they even tell you how much money you're saving once you quit. I'm sure there's a link to them somewhere at the beginning of this thread.

Poutbutton, are you tomorrow or Monday?

Hi there, Monday is my planned quit day, as long as I feel ready tomorrow night. I hopefully will, then wake up Monday morning and just not smoke. Thats how I did it the last time & I had no trouble. Only thing is, i'm under a bit of pressure at the mo following major home renovations and a rewire. The home front is difficult to be in right now to say the least so I dont know if i'll be quite as relaxed as I was the last sunday night I chopped up my remaining fags :) How about you are you going with Monday still?

My quit day should be Wednesday (day 8) but I think Ill start a new week of non smoking...things are going good. Had about 4 smokes today..pretty good for me, and the only one really "needed" was the one when I woke up..smoked the other in the car to have something to do.

I bought a pack of 20 on Thurs at 1, there is still 5 left...feels like I smoked lots yesterday, but obv didnt! Not bad considering m usually a 20 a day girl!

Whoo hoo!!

Cant friggin wait to be a non smoker now!!

Is it the three of us for Monday? When is fergals last day??

Hi LadyE you seem to be doing really well. It's great to cut down so easily is'nt it? I think there's 3 or 4 of us starting Monday all going well. I think Feargal will be quitting Monday too. it should help having extra people giving up in around the same time. I cant wait to be rid of them again I hate the smell and the addiction!

hi all, glad to hear, ye are doing well. only smoked 3 last night and was drinking as well. but today is a different story, woke up fine but about twelve, i got the urge and it would not go away. not only did i want to smoke, i wanted to eat the pack as well :eek:. smoked 5 so far and looking at the pack as we speak.

but in saying that, this battle will not be won in a week, it will be won in 3 months and a most definitly, i will be quitting on monday :D

Deisenaut, thats a great thing to have on your phone. putting on mine as well. would hate to see my kids smoking so its a nice reminder
    LadyE, only 4 smokes is fantasic. well done

My quit day (day 8) is actually wednesday...Im concerned that there will be a higher failure rate if I stopped smoking before then..i.e Monday?

I dont know whether to wait til wed or just do mon :(

tuesday is day eight for me, is quit day i am quitting after today or no more from now on.....
    anyway doing it monday, ladyE, i would say whatever you are comfortable with.if on monday it dont feel right. go with wednesday, or later if need be.all i know is they are tasting nasty in the throat at the moment
    (he says as he smokes another one :rolleyes:) but im biting at the bit here to get rid of this habit once and for all

• Advertisement

Wait til it's your quit date LadyE. I should be quitting tomorrow but had'nt taken the full dose in time. I've done it before so I know that if I dont feel ready on Monday I will wait til Tuesday. I'm not enjoying any fags today. I've popped oputside for a few and I have only smoked half of each cigarette so I'm probably going to continue puffing tomorrow and see how I feel tomorrow night last thing. If I'm ready, Monday will be it. Dont worry about not being on the same day as others, the thread is great and really supportive but you have to do this in your own time when you are ready so dont rush it. We can all compare notes and share our ups and downs along the way. :cool:

Advertisement