Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hey RangeR, That's great news.;) Yeah, what your feeling is normal. I'm off the smokes for nine months now and still think about them. That's the tragic thing about being addicted to that crap! It's seems to forever be stamped into your mind. But, on the other hand, as you said, I have now cravenings or desires to light up again.:) I still have dreams where I'm lighting up and wake up relieved that it was just a dream.:pac: As I mentioned in earlier posts, I never gave up my "drinks" in the evening or my coffee in the morning and it never drove me to grab a smoke like it use to. I think that's what is so amazing about quiting on the Chantix/Champix.:D Keep up the great work and keep in touch!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 fergal76

Hi all, hope you are all well. i am feeling fantasic. have not smoked or had cravings, i cannot believe how things are starting to change. smell for one thing (good and bad :))the lads i work with coming back from break after smoking smell terrible. i keep thinking jasus did i smell like that when i smoked. my appetite is also growing and i dont have the sniffles as much.
    its all good

Yeah Fergal, you DID smell like that! L.O.L.:eek: When I was still working and went out for a smoke, this one lady in my office would say: " I know were you've been"!!:rolleyes: everytime I came in from outside. I use to call her the Blood Hound!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

DonnieL wrote: »
    I use to call her the Blood Hound!;)[/B][/COLOR]

Or just the person who has to COMMENT ON EVERYTHING!!!!! Grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Hi all its 15 wks + since I quit with Champix. I know for sure I would not have quit without Champix. I was a confirmed smoker of 35 yrs + and smoking came easier to me than breathing. I cant believe I am Free. Its the freedom I love the most. I never realised until I quit what a curse it is to be a smoker. Life is so easy now, never having to wonder do I have enough cigs to last me till morning, oh can I sneak out at work for ciggie ( the cravings when I could not sneak out ) . Will I be able to smoke in that persons house ( go outside have one / is it too soon to go out again ). Out for a meal - havin to leave my partner to go outside ON MY OWN ( leave them inside alone staring at the table) just to have a fag.!!!.

• Advertisement

Boy Tip isn't that the truth. It's like breaking the bonds of slavery!!:D I'm now in my 9th month and still with no urges or cravings. Of course, as I mentioned before, I do still think of them and probably always will. But, It feels so good to be in control!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Feckinhellman

I used most of the first pack of Champix .I really wanted to quit ,child on the way and all .
    Smoke free since July .Still mad cravings ,that pass easier each time . I stopped smoking 2 day before I got the Champix (bad Cough)and I think this made a difference .
    Best of luck anyone thinking of trying .It's not easy but try , try ,try.

Feckinhellman, great to hear from you and your positive input! ;) I'm sure your new little one will appreciate the sacrifice!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

Off them over 4 months. Champix is great. My advice, put up with the side affects because none of them are as bad as cancer. Any questions?

Great News CGAN086!!:D And great, short and to the point, advice!!;) Well done!!:)

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I'm guessing! Is NO news GOOD news??:D

Hmmmmmm, well, guess I'm the last one to leave the building! Guess I should turn out the lights!! Sure will miss everybody!!:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No need for that DonnieL.

Im still off them.I did slip a couple of times(on the beer--not because I had cravings but the whole "social" thing) but I took your advice and stayed on the tablets regardless.

I have no cravings whatsoever.The sickness is still there though--guaranteed 30 minutes after I take the tablet.

Im now almost 8 weeks without one.

Great news Hellrazer!! Glad to hear you're doing so well!! Are you taking the Champix with food and a lot of water? That part doesn't change just because you've been on it for awhile. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.
    Regards,
    DonnieL
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    No need for that DonnieL.

Im still off them.I did slip a couple of times(on the beer--not because I had cravings but the whole "social" thing) but I took your advice and stayed on the tablets regardless.

I have no cravings whatsoever.The sickness is still there though--guaranteed 30 minutes after I take the tablet.

Im now almost 8 weeks without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi all, I'm proud to say that I have been off the fags for two weeks after 18 years of smoking approx 15 a day. I definitely would not have been able to quit without Champix and I'm so pleased that I gave it a shot. I don't understand why, but suddenly I have proper confidence like what everyone else seems to have; I've never had this kind of calm, content kind of confidence or whatever before and it feels great...i just don't know where it came from or how quitting brought it about, but it did :)

I have only one side effect, thankfully, but it's really starting to be a big problem; I used to sleep 7-8 hours a night. I was a heavy sleeper and would wake up rested. After being on the Champix a couple of days, I noticed I was waking up after about 4- 4.5 hours of sleep.

I'm wrecked all day and by the time I get home from work, I fall on the couch, can't be bothered to cook any dinner and haven't been walking the poor mutts cos I'm so exhausted. I get off to sleep chanting '7 hours sleep, 7 hours sleep' around 11.30-12. I wake up fully at around 4-4.30am and that's it for the night.

I've tried herbal sleeping tablets the last two nights and managed to get EVEN LESS sleep!! My mam gave me one of her sleeping tablets for tonight but I'm afraid to take it in case I oversleep in the morning or I'm all groggy in work and get into trouble.

But I'm saving approx €180 a month by not smoking so I can only hope and pray that the sleeping will improve...or I end up on sleeping tablets too!

Hellodolly,

Great news! Delighted to hear that the Champix is working for you! I know what you mean about the confidence. Within two weeks of quitting I realized I would never smoke again! But the best thing is that being around other smokers doesn't bother me... I just think "wow, I don't have to make excuses to leave the room, table, building what ever the case may be". That feeling alone feels so liberating! I've been off the smokes 10 months now with no cravings or urges. But, I do still have dreams about smoking. I just had one the night before last that I was sitting outside with friends and was smoking a cigarette then looked down and noticed my ashtray was full!! I woke up with a start!! Then felt so relieved that it was just a dream.:D

Keep up the good work and I sure hope the sleeplessness passes quickly. I was fortunate not to have any of those side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

:D:D
    HI all,

havent posted in a while! but its my 3 months off them today:) im so happy! i cant explain how great it feels to be actually free of them!woooooo.... :) Of course i still think of them & Have dreamed of smoking also... ;) Good luck to everyone xx Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi All...hope everyone is doing well.

DonnieL, thanks for great support :)

I'm just into the 3rd. week and this evening all i kept thinking was 'i will smoke again. there's no point giving up cos im just going to smoke again'...
    I read the Allen Carr book just before I quit so I'm taking his advice and telling myself it's just 'the starving nicotine monster' crying out to be fed...
    I imagine my nicotine monster as Gollam off Lord of the Rings...raspy voice whispering 'precious, MY precious' :D Then I tell him to 'Shut the f*** up and shove him off a cliff :D'...it does help :)

Hey Neveix, Great Work! Don't you feel like you've really accomplished something? It's so liberating when you realized that you've beat this thing.:D Keep up the great job! I'm currently in my 10th month with absolutely no slip ups even though I still have dreams that I'm smoking! Those may go on forever but it feels sooooooo good to wake up and realize it's just a dream.;)

Hellodolly, good work! Those cravings should be subsiding soon. You need to occupy yourself with something to keep from thinking about it. I personally got busy around the house, played a lot of computer games, crossword puzzles etc. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I was one of the fortunate ones whos cravings started subsidng within the first week. Keep it up it sounds like you're pretty tough! You can beat this!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ardveen

Hi All,
    Hope you dont mind if I jump into this thread. I've glanced over it and see alot of similarities with myself, so i'll throw in my pennys worth !

I am ( was ) a long time / full-on 'smoker', I smoked 20 a day and was steady, - hail, rain, snow i would get through the 20...first thing in the morning, last thing at night, food did'nt really bother me, getting the ' cigarettes in ' did, fortunately to date I have not suffered any smoking related illness, the odd chesty cough and perhaps more 'colds' than normal but nothing that would remotely dampen my spirit to smoke. Anyway decided that I was ' burning the candle at both ends ' and needed to quit while ahead. ...enter Champix...
    ..kicked off on Champix 19 days ago, now into day 5 without the weed and still going ok....i'm still getting the 'nod to smoke from the wee man inside' but am resisting thus far.....and do intend to continue resisting.....keeping well away from the cursed booze till I shake this habit. The things i've noticed in the last 5 days....amazing how easy it is to hold onto money while off the cigs...can't see any health benefits yet and still coughing, i expect the system is still 'flushing out' the effects of nicotine....cant also dedect a measurable improvement in smell yet....thought i'd be whiffing smoke at 100 yards and grunting disapprovingly..give it time. ...i've had little side effects, certainly my sleep pattern has changed but thats really it.

I still miss cigarettes, i know something in my life has gone and i just need time to adjust to life without the cursed weed. Champix i hope will give me this time to make the adjustement. I think if i can get over the first month then i'm on a pigs back !

Any thats my lot, ...Have to say that Champix has helped to get me this far and thats more than ..patches...cold turkey & willpower etc done for me in previous efforts.

Anyway enjoyed reading the thread ( over the last 10 days ), the ups & downs of the struggle against the weed...could be a script for a play.....finally Donnie fair play to you ...you are there since page 1 and beat the habit...an inspiration to the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭tattoo man

of the smokes for 7 mths using champix at start off this year,was sick in the mornings,but mortillium sorted that,but i fell of the wagon mid way through the year,started champix again 3 weeks ago,and have to admit i on a winning streak this time,just getting used to something been missing,the only thing i will say is im having some far out dreams,and some heavy duty nightmares,but hey im feeling fitter already,imagine the benifits in a years time,and as the post above,donnie would have to be mentioned,he threw some inspiration my way,and is with out doubt a true gemtleman....

Welcome Ardveen and Kudos to you for making a very wise decision. You will not regret it and I think you know that already. It's truly liberating as I had mentioned in previous posts.
    We all know that you Irish are a very "strong willed people" and can pretty much accomplish anything you put your mind to!:D;) and we know you can beat this because YOU WANT TO!

Tatoo Man, glad to see you back and giving it another shot! Just remember slip-ups are not a Mortal Sin! Just keep on going until you whip this thng!

Plus, I want to thank you both for the Kind Words!! Ye brought a tear to me eye! ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

A pal of mine recommended champix. I have tried everything but have always failed to stop smoking, in fact anytime I tried to gave them up
    and went back on them I ended up SMOKING MORE , 30 a day.
    I decided to gave it one more shot, I went to my doctor, he told me the pros and cons of taking Champix and then I looked it up on the net. Well no matter what medication you take they have to gave you the worst sanario and what could happen to you.
    I am in my 4th week on champix and off smokes 3 weeks, smoked about 20 in the 1st week and then just stopped because the cigarett did ent taste the same? I felt calm and relaxed in the 1st week and dreamed a lot. Woke up quite a lot in the 2nd week, disturbed sleep patterns nearly thought of chucking them up but now am in my 3rd week and feeling a lot better I seem to have more control over the cravings for that smoke. If I do wake up at night time now I just think of how every night I would wake up coughing my lungs up and wishing I could stop smoking smile.gif

Hey Terenc, welcome to the group! It sounds like you're doing great!;)

As I said in earlier posts I'd been smoking for over 50 years. Sometimes up to 3 packs a day depending on the situation. Of course always smoked more when partying and drinking.

Next week I'll be off the cigs for 11 months! I never dreamed I could do it but am so happy I went on the Chantix/Champix plan.

You've probably noticed some physical improvments yourself by now.

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress and remember, if you slip up don't let that stop you! Keep taking your Champix and continue on.:D

Iam into my 5th week now,cut down to one champix last Sunday and got on ok went to work Monday and had to take one that night when i came home went back to one on Tues and Wed. I took my last one this morning Sat. I feel quite confident that I wont fall back and smoke again am a bit nervous about having no champix handy might ring my doctor up on Mon
    and get some one to collect the prescription for me.Has anyone tried it like this or is it up to yourself to detox or how long does Champix stay in
    your system.Should have asked my doctor.:cool:

Terenc, Chantix/Champix is initially a 12 week program consisting of two prescriptions of 6 weeks, at least here in the States. Yes, if you're running out of the medication you definitely want to visit your physician.

Keep us posted.. Thanks!

Thanks Donniel its prescribed differently here in Ireland, its three 28 day
    prescriptions. I wont take the risk and will get the next prescription Mon.

Sop far, we are 2 for 3. Three of us started Champix at the same time [myself, g/f and her sister]. Her sister went back on them a week ago after nearly 5 months off.

Well, truth be told and I only found out last week], since she started champix she has been smoking every weekend. Her bf smokes ONR OR TWO socially while drinking at the weekend and she took that as an excuse to smoke 40 a weekend :)

She says that she is going to try again but she is weak willed.

Hi RangeR,:):):)
    You have to choose your pals at the start, it helps to get some encouragment from the people around you and not having some
    smart ****head offering you a smoke or waiting for you to fall and
    perish because they don,t have the belief in themselves to kick the
    habit. Keep it going and tell the g/f sister to get a new b/f

• Advertisement

terenc wrote: »
    tell the g/f sister to get a new b/f

You can't choose who you love :)

Advertisement