Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PaddyW

Jesus, sorry to hear that mate. I can only hope I don't get affected as badly.

I've just put my first week down anyway. Much, much easier than I expected. Yes, I still get the odd craving, but very, very manageable. I've noticed that I am far less tense, I am sleeping much, much better and that my general mood has improved ten fold. Big thumbs up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hey PaddyW glad to hear you're doing so much better.

Range, sorry to hear that you've been down and out. I pray you're up and better soon.

PaddyW, you have to remember that Chantix/Champix effects each individual differently. I've been on this thread for well over a year now and am still amazed as to how differently people react to this medication. As I mentioned several times within these posts, I'm one of a minority that suffered NO ill effects or side effects and have been off the smokes for a year and 1 month with no urges or cravings. Just take it a day at time and focus on the positive side of quitting health wise and money wise.

Please continue to keep us posted...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Intruged

well first off let me congratulate all of you who have already quit well done and keep it up for those who have just started like myself or who are thinking of starting go for it whats the worst that can happen......... iv heard loadsa bas stuff about side affects and so far iv beed lucky iv had none i am finding it a lil hard im on day 12 of champix and dying for a smoke not phyically just mentally if ya get me lol i dont need one i just want one so a bit of will power is needed but the best thing i head that keeps me going is i dont want to start at day 1 all over again at least when i get up tomorrow i can say im 2 days off the smokes. One thing i recomend is to have good support around you i dont my partner is not very encouraging my sister still just lights up with no consideration...... but i will get there and beleive me if i can give up smoking any one can even my family didnt think i could do it and here i am one day without a smoke an as they say in N A and A A and all 12 step programes one day at a time and if one day is to long take it one hour at a time

gud like to everone myself included

Intruged wrote: »
    well first off let me congratulate all of you who have already quit well done and keep it up for those who have just started like myself or who are thinking of starting go for it whats the worst that can happen......... iv heard loadsa bas stuff about side affects and so far iv beed lucky iv had none i am finding it a lil hard im on day 12 of champix and dying for a smoke not phyically just mentally if ya get me lol i dont need one i just want one so a bit of will power is needed but the best thing i head that keeps me going is i dont want to start at day 1 all over again at least when i get up tomorrow i can say im 2 days off the smokes. One thing i recomend is to have good support around you i dont my partner is not very encouraging my sister still just lights up with no consideration...... but i will get there and beleive me if i can give up smoking any one can even my family didnt think i could do it and here i am one day without a smoke an as they say in N A and A A and all 12 step programes one day at a time and if one day is to long take it one hour at a time

gud like to everone myself included

Mate, keep it up. When you feel like a smoke just remind yourself how crappy you felt when you smoked. Do you notice you feel less tense, less moody almost since you gave up the smokes? I'm off them nearly two weeks.. I tested myself last Thursday, just to see how it was all going. I took a puff and I was physically sick after it. Trust me, be strong and you will feel so much better after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

PaddyW wrote: »
    Jesus, sorry to hear that mate. I can only hope I don't get affected as badly.
    DonnieL wrote: »
    Range, sorry to hear that you've been down and out. I pray you're up and better soon.

Cheers guys. I'm feeling much better. Today is my first day back in the office since Christmas, more or less. I have been working half days at home for the past week or two but it's great to be back in the office.

Still not 100% better but getting there. t least I can safely drive again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Just popping in - 9 mths off cigs and I feel great !!!!!!!!!!. At this stage it has got very easy I still think of cigs but now the whole day could have passed by without thinking of them. I pinch myself sometimes as I can't believe I did it. So all of ye starting on Champix keep it going and ye too will be free. The biggest plus of being off the smokes, life is just so simple without them. I know that when I was smoking I was craving cigs every day as I was allowed only 1 smoke break at work. Range R sorry to hear of your illness that may account for bad dose I got before Xmas and got relapse within wk of finishing antibiotic and had to take another. Donniel you are a trooper still giving everyone support. To all the newbies keep with the Champix you will not regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

RangeR wrote: »

Don't want to scare you but most smokers get very sick, one way or another, within the first year or so. :)

Hope you are feeling better, I was not well for the last two weeks but no way has bad has you RangeR.
    Couldn't go to work but it was as if the body was haven't some massive clean out I couldn't cough any more my throat was infected and my head bunged up it was as if I was still smoking but I never had it this bad, my doctor was very good and am well on the road to recovery and back at work.
    I am off smokes 5 months now.:):)

It's sure great to log in and see all the positive results!! Kudos to all of you for doing so well!! ;) And look at the money you're saving, lungs recooping, and FREEDOM!..No more worry about running out of fags in the middle of the night, sneaking out to grab a smoke, or standing outside puffing away like you were a vagrant!! Isn't it GREAT!!! Keep up the great work!!:D
    Another St. Patrick's Day coming up soon. Let's see if you can enjoy your Guinness with out the smokes! Now there's a real challenge! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Off them 12 days and 12 hours so far. Gave them up for Lent, had two off-the-wagon experiences but jumped straight back on.

Not fully sure about the whole drinking side of things, I'd say I'd be fierce tempted to smoke under those circumstances.

Champix really is a wonder drug. Vivid dreams, that's the only real side effect I've had. If you have breakfast in the morning, your stomach will be fine.

Great input Markesmith! Keep it coming! We'd love to hear your progress! Hope you got a good support system. You've always got us. Keep in touch..;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I'm on day 10 of champix and day 3 of no smoking....I would kill for a smoke right now but I'm determined not to:cool:

Stomach is a bit dodgy but that's the only side effect I've had so far:)

Hey lucyfur, keep up the good work. Just remember not to take the medication on an empty stomach and and drink a lot of water and you should be all right.;) Keep the the thought's positive. Better Health, Saving Money, free from Sneakin' Out to have a smoke for just a few. You'll certainly be glad you did!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Cheers Donnie....today was tough but tomorrow will be better....it WILL:eek:

Added to the shoe collection to cheer myself up;)

And think of all the shoes you can buy with your savings!!!:):D;)(Just getting into the spirit!)

Well, today is 4 weeks off the weed! Feel great, body starting to slowly clear out the crap, although not much yet. I still get the odd craving now, but I just think of how my lungs feel when I'm out cycling (still unfit, trying to improve) and instantly turn my thoughts to other things. Champix is good, I see it as a helping hand to realising just how bad the smokes were for me. I'm glad it gave me the opportunity to view them from a non smokers' perspective. And that's what I am now, a non smoker!

Wow! Great News Paddy!!!! Keep up the great work! Doesn't it feel Great to be free from those "THINGS"!?!?!? ;)

Have a GREAT SMOKE-FREE ST. PADDY'S DAY!!! :D

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY !!!!!!

Where did everyone go??? I certainly hope that "no news is good news"!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

No news is good news for me. 10 months and counting. Still taking it day by day. Some days are worse than others but still sober.

DonnieL wrote: »
    Where did everyone go??? I certainly hope that "no news is good news"!!;)

Hi Donniel how are you keeping am still off the smokes 7 months now.:) I didn't think i would do it and feeling great , no coughing and bought myself a new bicycle with all the money I saved by not smoking. :) Looking forward to the good weather to do some cycling.
    I might even do a cycle marathon next year.

• Advertisement

Great news from both of you!!! You should be over the hump by now! I still have an occaisional dream that I'm smoking but that's it. I've been off the fags for a year and 4 months now!
    I bought myself a recumbant bike (stationary) and a treadmill. Not bad for an ole duff!
    Keep up the great work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

Hi DonnieL and all,

9 months and counting :-) except i did have 1 relapse not so long ago :-( I was stressd & bought 20 cigs and smoked them all in a day! felt crap afterwards & havent wanted one since, thankfully! otherwise things are great....

:-)

Great Nevevix! You're allowed to fall! Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!!! (from an old song);):)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Hi Donniel 11 months for me and going great. :D I think I have the worst over me now. As others have said thought I could never quit but here I am heading for 1yr on 21st May. I feel really chuffed with myself and I keep in mind that smoking is not an option for me again. Thanks to you and this forum it kept me going at beginning when I did'nt trust Champix.

Tip! That's absolutely fantastic!! Doesn't it feel great to be FREE!!!;):D Your right! There's no looking back now! Relish the Freedom from an old and nasty habit! BE PROUD!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pubgirl

Ok so I am off the ciagarettes only 27 hrs ha ha!! But great to read through your posts and see that I'm not the only one!!

Really enjoying being a non-smoker actually. Feel this is the real thing!!

Hey Pubgirl, welcome to the club!! I wish you all the best. It sure BEATS "cold turkey"!! I tried that to many times! I'm now off the cigs for a little over a year and 5 months! You'll be so happy to be rid of that nicotine enslavement! It doesn't even bother me to be around other smokers! I just think: "I used to do that..ewwww"!! ha! ha!;):D Keep up the good work!!

Well done pubgirl its not easy but believe me over time it it gets easier i am in to my eight month off cigs, I saved a fortune (3800) and feeling a lot healthier oh I still get the urge but its gone very quickly, keep it up and remember (I think donniel said this)
    if you fall off the horse just get back on the saddle again. I had to get back up several times.

Terenc! Good for you! And, thanks for the back-up!! Keep up the great work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 oldandfeelit

Hi, Found this thread a couple of weeks ago. I started champix today. I have smoked for 30+ years and had started smoking up to 40 a day. fingers crossed champix works for me:)

Advertisement