Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I started taking Champix 20 days ago i havent smoked since day 11 its working so far i have lost all urges to have a smoke now even when im drinking or around other smokers ive gone from 20 a day to none i cant believe these work so well i havetried will power, patches, inhaler, gum and nothing worked,

I'm only getting a few side effects mainly headaches the first 2 days and my dreams are a little messed up also very tired a lot but im willing to put up with that to be free from smoking finally

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Connewitz, good for you! Glad you're helping out the "new recruits"! If you read back in the Posts I was a smoker for over 50 years and quit on Chantix/Champix. (I'm in the US) I quit on day 7 and haven't smoked since.:D Of course I was one of the fortunate ones that experienced NO side effects other that a few odd dreams but never any "night terrors". Keep up the great work! I still check in now and then to check on my "non-Smoking" friends.;) BTW, I've been clean for over a year and a half now!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

DonnieL wrote: »
    Connewitz, good for you! Glad you're helping out the "new recruits"! If you read back in the Posts I was a smoker for over 50 years and quit on Chantix/Champix. (I'm in the US) I quit on day 7 and haven't smoked since.:D Of course I was one of the fortunate ones that experienced NO side effects other that a few odd dreams but never any "night terrors". Keep up the great work! I still check in now and then to check on my "non-Smoking" friends.;) BTW, I've been clean for over a year and a half now!

Hi Donniel! After reading your post I was even more convinced, that I will make it! Quitting after such a long smoker life is awesome. I really bow my head to you! A lot of people your age would not even consider to give them up, because they lived happy-go-lucky until now. I just wanted to ask you, how long it took your body to recover. Many people tell me they feel it a month after quitting. But I do think, that it takes more time to recover with every year smoking. How did you noticed, that your body is getting healthy? Like I said - I bow my head and I wish you a very long life as a non-smoker!:D

Hi Connewitz, I started feeling changes within about 3 months. First my taste, then a little more energy. But unfortunately the taste buds won out! I gained a few pounds. A couple of months ago I decided that this is not acceptable and started cutting my meals to 2000 calories a day, bought a treadmill and am currently doing 3/4 Mile + in 30 minutes. So far I've lost 18 lbs.. That's given me an energy boost as well.
    Thank God I never became one of those "non-smoking snobs" that expect everyone to quit because they did! Being around smokers does not bother me at all. In fact re-enforces the old will power thinking "I used to slip outside and have a smoke like that! Now I don't have to"! yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Family gave me €50 to go to the doctor the other night after seeing me with medication. The prescription was the same as aunt's so he said I could use them. First night had weird dreams, last night normal.

I read alan carr's book before and he advised the nicotene leaves your system after three days and the general urge leaves after three weeks. I know he advises against no-smoking medication but then again these are nicotene free. So if I quit on day 9 I'll still have 19 days of meds. After that I reckon I'll have to bite the same bullet at some point and go off the meds so why not as early as possible. Gonna see if it works after the 4 weeks supply. If it doesn't I reckon I could at least hold out til I get another prescription/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Family gave me €50 to go to the doctor the other night after seeing me with medication. The prescription was the same as aunt's so he said I could use them. First night had weird dreams, last night normal.

I read alan carr's book before and he advised the nicotene leaves your system after three days and the general urge leaves after three weeks. I know he advises against no-smoking medication but then again these are nicotene free. So if I quit on day 9 I'll still have 19 days of meds. After that I reckon I'll have to bite the same bullet at some point and go off the meds so why not as early as possible. Gonna see if it works after the 4 weeks supply. If it doesn't I reckon I could at least hold out til I get another prescription/

Congrats on seeing the doctor.

Now, I know everyone is different but I'm a little concerned. It's great that you are set to give up but it looks like you are planning months in advance. I fear that when/if you fall over your first obstacle, it will deeply affect you.

Try to take it a day at a time and do't worry about tomorrow. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. The urge doesn't leave after 3 weeks for all people. I still have urges and I'm a year dry so far. Don't feel defeated if you don't stop smoking until after day 9. It's not a big deal. Don't worry if you still have urges after day 19. That is normal in a 12 week plan.

I also get the impression that you may not have the resources to continue with treatment after day 19. Can you borrow from family to continue the drugs. All going well, you can easily pay them back when you quit.

Anywho, sorry for being so negative. I would just hate for you to go into this with the wrong mindset and be upset with unrealistic goals.

Bottle of Smoke, Read and heed what RangeR stated in his post. He knows from experience as do I. Take it one day at a time, if you slip, pick yourself up and keep on going. Make sure you take the medication as prescribed and with food and plenty of water and most of all focus on quitting and quitting only and you should be fine.;) Good luck and keep us posted..:)

Cheers guys. Will take it on board.

Seems to be kicking in quite early. Not a loss of urge to smoke but the last two cigarettes I had today I didn't get much of a nicotene hit from. Was like smoking a really low strength cigarette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Trax

Hi Folks,

Now in week 6 of Champix and I have just completed my first smoke free day in 30 years. I just woke up this morning and thought "bugger, just try it". I have to say though, I've spent most of the day fighting it off and have ate 6 fizzy cola lollies along with 8 bottles of water. The advice and support in this thread has been brilliant and I thank you. One day at a time eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 calamitysammy

good going trax and yep one day at a time, even one hour at a time if it helps get you through. please keep us posted, i look forward to logging on to see how everyone is going.....I am nearing 2 weeks smoke free i think and still taking the champix.

oh i have found having orange juice or apple juice reduces my cravings atm..

• Advertisement

I started before I quit with a healthier life style. Lost a few pounds (can`t afford more, because I am very slim) and then quit the cigarettes. Run 3-5 times a week on treadmill for 50 min. I can taste food much better and I am always hungry. Fill myself with oat bars, yogurt, fruit and raw veg. Until now I put on about 0,5 kg. (ca.470g). If I had not started my new regime before giving up, I am sure, the pounds would have piled on.
    You are a great example, what one can achieve with will and determination! I do wish you many years of good health and keep your humor! You are a great man!!!!:D

Donniel and Ranger are sooo right! Take it easy and do not set yourself under pressure. It all takes time. I still have sometimes the urge for a cigarette - just out of the blue (5,5 weeks smoke free). And this will stay with you for years to come! Battle of the will forever! So, take one step after another and live every day. Don`t plan to much ahead. Since I joined this board, I got so much good advice and support, it`s great. I want to thank everyone! This is what keeps me going and spurs me on. So, read what the people have to say and pick, what is best for your situation. Keep it up!!!:D

Trax wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Now in week 6 of Champix and I have just completed my first smoke free day in 30 years. I just woke up this morning and thought "bugger, just try it". I have to say though, I've spent most of the day fighting it off and have ate 6 fizzy cola lollies along with 8 bottles of water. The advice and support in this thread has been brilliant and I thank you. One day at a time eh?
    Congratulation!!!! You have finally done it! This was the hardest step, now it can only get better!!! Take the lollies myself. Keeps mouth and hands busy. Just a little bit worried about my teeth. There is no such thing as sugar free lollies in Ireland. So after the lollies comes the chewing gum or the brushing. Water is very good.(I admire that you can drink this much.) After your last cigarette you will feel like you lost something and this is true, you have lost your best friend. So take your time of mourning! Because you have now a lot of time on your hands, which you filled before with a smoke, try to fill this time with activity. Go walking, running, read, clean out your wardrobe (sounds silly, but keeps you occupied) or other things. Don`t get bored, because than you start to think about smoking again. I got into a routine in the evening. When I was watching TV I run out in the breaks to have a smoke. Now I go in my garden or make myself a tea. And I have to do this less and less. Can now stay in the sitting room and wait the breaks out without the thought of a cigarette. And by the way - I forget my evening pill quite often! There is the progress! Have now a reminder on my mobile. Keep up the good work and hang in there! You can make it! Keep us posted. ;)

On day 5 now.

Still smoking but definitely less arsed about needing one.

The dreams are pretty awesome. Gonna miss them when I finish the course!

I would suggest to those already off the cigs suffering withdrawal symptoms to check out allen carr's easyway. Cigarette addiction is largely psychological and he's great for beating that.

Keep it going. I quit on day 9 and never looked back. Now in week 8 of champix. Next pack should be the last one, but I think I will see my doc and ask for another one, just to be weaned of them.
    The dreams are something, so vivid!
    We should actually open a thread about "Dreams under the influence of champix"!:D
    Keep the posts coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Well Done to you all. Just checking in I'm over 12 months quit. Champix are just brilliant and the reason I got off cigs. It gets easier, take it 1 day at a time. I still think of cigs but its no big deal I just know I will not smoke again. There is a great life after smoking, radiant skin,no coughing,lots of extra cash, being able to breathe as if a weight was lifted from your chest, no awful smell from clothes hair etc. Just go with the Champix it does all the hard work.

Hi people! How is it going? Trax - Are you comfy now with yourself? I am now in week 7 non-smoking. Still thinking of cigarettes, but able to distract myself. Take one day and the next and the next.....
    I wrote in the thread about my friend which was diagnosed with lung cancer a couple of weeks ago (he was the reason for my final decision to quit). He had his operation strait away. Second and third lung flap from left lung removed. Tumor sat between them. Tumor removed. ALL OUT!!!! My friend is in rehabilitation at the moment and doing great. In rehab he had to start on champix as well! He is still very weak and has a hard time breathing, but every day is a day longer alive and a day for healing. He confessed in me, that he has still the urge for a cigarette. This only for the ones of you who believe they are failures, when they still smoke while on champix or have still cravings! My friend had a major operation on his lung, cheated death and still craves for a smoke. So powerful is the addiction to nicotine!!!! Never give in! We all will make it and there will come a day, where we are free from this filthy habit and so strong, that we can help others to quit (what we are already do in this thread). Thanks to all of you for support and advice. Keep up the good work!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 outdraw

I didnt read through all the pages.

These are prescription tablets?

How much for a monthly course?

I think I am eligible for a medical card and was wondering if they would be covered or subsidised under this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Well done to those who quit smoking using Champix. I completed the 12 week prescription, then went back for another 8 weeks prescription and finished that too.
    It didn't stop me smoking. I'm back on them now, and am trying another approach.
    I'm looking into hypnosis but there seems to be a lot of debate on here about of ot works or not, which practitioners are fakes or charlatans etc....so I'm confused about which one to call. Some have talked about a clinic in Wicklow, but from the looks of it, the lady in question has posted a lot about herself, so it's hard to tell the legit quitters from her own posts.
    If anybody can suggest and stand over a legit hypnosis clinic then i'd really appreciate it.
    Cheers

Well done to those who quit smoking using Champix. I completed the 12 week prescription, then went back for another 8 weeks prescription and finished that too.
    It didn't stop me smoking. I'm back on them now, and am trying another approach.
    I'm looking into hypnosis but there seems to be a lot of debate on here about of ot works or not, which practitioners are fakes or charlatans etc....so I'm confused about which one to call. Some have talked about a clinic in Wicklow, but from the looks of it, the lady in question has posted a lot about herself, so it's hard to tell the legit quitters from her own posts.
    If anybody can suggest and stand over a legit hypnosis clinic then i'd really appreciate it.
    Cheers

Well done and hard luck. Personally, I don't think much of hypnoses etc. As far as Champix is concerned [and I mean no disrespect], they aren't a wonder drug. You do need a certain amount of will power. Champix only help alleviate the nicotine withdrawal and cravings. You also have to want to quit and I mean REALLY want to. I'll be honest, I'm surprised that you lasted 20 weeks on Champix AND smoking as most people feel sick while doing both. Some people actually get violently sick with prolonged smoking on Champix.

Did you cut down by any amount while on Champix or did you smoke as normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

RangeR wrote: »
    Well done and hard luck. Personally, I don't think much of hypnoses etc. As far as Champix is concerned [and I mean no disrespect], they aren't a wonder drug. You do need a certain amount of will power. Champix only help alleviate the nicotine withdrawal and cravings. You also have to want to quit and I mean REALLY want to. I'll be honest, I'm surprised that you lasted 20 weeks on Champix AND smoking as most people feel sick while doing both. Some people actually get violently sick with prolonged smoking on Champix.

Did you cut down by any amount while on Champix or did you smoke as normal?

Agreed it's not a wonderdrug. I was down to between 3-4 at the most (!) per day at one stage. Didn't feel sick at all when I had a cigarette whilst on the drug.
    Either way, whether through lack of willpower or what not, I'm still on them and sick to the teeth of them.
    At this stage, I'm willing to try a new approach - I don't want patches or anything like that.

Agreed it's not a wonderdrug. I was down to between 3-4 at the most (!) per day at one stage. Didn't feel sick at all when I had a cigarette whilst on the drug.
    Either way, whether through lack of willpower or what not, I'm still on them and sick to the teeth of them.
    At this stage, I'm willing to try a new approach - I don't want patches or anything like that.

May I make a suggestion if you continue with Champix?

I'm not saying that my way was the best way but it worked out the way for me to give up. I'll be brief but you can use the search function above to search for all my posts in this thread for the full versions.

1. Start on Champix but make no changes to your smoking habits
    2. After a week or two, start cutting down [like you did] to 3 or 4 a day
    3. This was my VERY important part. I had a full pack of cigs and my trusty zippo with me at all times. Not actually on my person but maybe in my car while in work, or in a drawer at home after work. The day I did that, was THE day I gave up smoking. This was purely psychological as I told myself that I didn't want a smoke but my mind KNEW that I could have one if I needed it, as they were right beside me [out of sight].

I know the feeling... of having absolutely NO cigs in your pocket. The drama of realising that it's too late to go out and buy some as all the local shops or closed. Or that you have had too many drinks to drive to the shop. I've felt this way many times over the years and stressed while I rationed my last 3 remaining cigs until the next morning [which seemed like an eternity] when I got up extra early and ran to the shop. The relief I felt the morning after, after purchasing a fresh pack of cigs was unbelievable.

Your mind can provoke sensational, unlogical, powerful feelings under stress. Don't let yourself be put into those situations. Put YOU in control of your MIND. DON'T throw away your pack. Keep it with you. The difference being is that YOU choose not to smoke. Don't put yourself in a situation where you can't smoke and you start to stress out and get un-realistic cravings.

I never thought I would quit smoking. I tried 3 or 4 times over the years but never in this structured fashion. One thing I do know is that Champix was 80% of the help. It helped take some of the cravings away so I could concentrate on the will power.

I'm off cigs for just over a year now. I only threw out my last pack [have smoked] a month ago. Was the hardest thing I ever did because IT got me off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

This is a huge thread now, so apologies if this has been asked before...

Given that Champix is a prescription drug, and that it's (potential) side effects are pretty serious, I'm guessing that it really isn't ideal for everyone. So to anyone that had it prescribed to them, did your GP prescribe it simply because you asked, or did they have you answer a few important questions first?

This is a huge thread now, so apologies if this has been asked before...

Given that Champix is a prescription drug, and that it's (potential) side effects are pretty serious, I'm guessing that it really isn't ideal for everyone. So to anyone that had it prescribed to them, did your GP prescribe it simply because you asked, or did they have you answer a few important questions first?

Your doc will already know your general health history so it's different for everyone. I'm not a doc so I'm not going to second guess them.

RangeR wrote: »
    Your doc will already know your general health history so it's different for everyone. I'm not a doc so I'm not going to second guess them.
    With respect, that's not what I asked.

Edit: Let me rephrase that - I am not looking for anyone to second guess my GP. I am just curious as to what user's own GPs asked/told them about the drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suepig

I would not advise anyone to take champix,i wish i could,i regarded it as my last hope..6 hrs after taking it,i felt weird,but i just thought,'give it a few days',it became worse,i either spent one hour crying or one hour shouting,on the third day even my mother noticed the difference in me whilst talking to me on the phone.i spent my days thinking violent thoughts and the nights having vivid dreams,and i loved those dreams because it took me away from the violent thoughts i had during the day,and all this before i had even stopped smoking.i've had moods whilst trying to quit in the past,but those tablets made me feel like i either wanted to hurt myself or hurt somebody else.

Hi outdraw! Yes you have to go to the doctor for prescription. I don`t know, how much they will cost (I am a medical card holder), but even if you have to pay, think about how much money you will save,when you stop smoking! They do work and I can only say, it is worth the try - and money!

suepig wrote: »
    I would not advise anyone to take champix,i wish i could,i regarded it as my last hope..6 hrs after taking it,i felt weird,but i just thought,'give it a few days',it became worse,i either spent one hour crying or one hour shouting,on the third day even my mother noticed the difference in me whilst talking to me on the phone.i spent my days thinking violent thoughts and the nights having vivid dreams,and i loved those dreams because it took me away from the violent thoughts i had during the day,and all this before i had even stopped smoking.i've had moods whilst trying to quit in the past,but those tablets made me feel like i either wanted to hurt myself or hurt somebody else.

Champix is, like every other drug which effects the mind - some people can take it and have nil or minimum side effects, while others suffer! This is not a reason to say that nobody should take them. There are already enough scare mongers out there! When you take your time to read through this thread, you will see, that there are people which quit with champix and never had any problems or started smoking again and others had to stop taking them. It is depending on you own body response! I am taking them since nearly 2 month and have side effects as well - tired all the time, was nauseous, bloated and have vivid dreams. But I rather have this for 3 or 4 month, than start smoking again and end up with lung cancer. This is a horrible and very painful way to die! You can not breathe, pain incredible and at the end you will drown in your own lung fluid! What is a little bit of nausea or tiredness against this? I will definitely stick with champix!!! I am not saying, that you should stick with them, because you have serious side effects (sounds like depression). Did your doc talked to you, before you got the prescription? My doc was going through my whole history and she told me, that when I had only the slightest depression in the past, she would not recommend them to me. Thanks God, I was mostly healthy, just wear and tear pains! It is really important, that you have a long talk with your doc! You will have to try another way of quitting and I wish you all the luck in the world! ;)

Well been off the cigs just under 48 hours now. Watched the England game with my dad and aunt last night who are both heavy smokers but managed not to give in to temptation.

Went out with mates after. Had a few pangs but none so serious I was bothered. Actually think I more missed going out to the smoking area for the craic than the actual craving for nicotine.

So not sure the champix is helping. Think its more it gave me motivation to have a go at quitting and its Allen Carr psychology thats keeping me going rather than the drug. On the other hand perhaps the cravings would be a lot worse if I wasn't taking Champix.

Just back from the gym too. Definitely felt I was able to lift better than usual and didn't seem to get tired as early as usual.

• Advertisement

Whether it's the Champix or the Allen Carr psychology that's helping, YOU're the one who's not given into temptation, so well done and keep it up!

Advertisement