Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Well been off the cigs just under 48 hours now. Watched the England game with my dad and aunt last night who are both heavy smokers but managed not to give in to temptation.

Went out with mates after. Had a few pangs but none so serious I was bothered. Actually think I more missed going out to the smoking area for the craic than the actual craving for nicotine.

So not sure the champix is helping. Think its more it gave me motivation to have a go at quitting and its Allen Carr psychology thats keeping me going rather than the drug. On the other hand perhaps the cravings would be a lot worse if I wasn't taking Champix.

Just back from the gym too. Definitely felt I was able to lift better than usual and didn't seem to get tired as early as usual.

Hi Bottle of Smoke!
    What ever helps use it!!! I do think, that the champix is working. It keeps your nicotine cravings under control. But if you prefer Allen Carr (I never read his book.), so be it. You are on your way. Congratulation!
    If you could go without a cigarette watching this dreadful England game with 2 people smoking beside you than you are serious about quitting.
    And you will see, every day without a cig will be a little win. Take it step by step. You will feel better and look better. There will be quite an improvement in the gym as well. I can run on the cross trainer for an hour and do gymnastic after wards. This would have been impossible only 6 month ago. Today is day 50 without a smoke for me. Still get little pangs but a lolly pop gets them out of the way. Can see my skin reacting. It starts to clean itself. Get dry patches but they will go away. It is all the crap leaving my body! And my teeth are getting whiter. I am so pleased!!! Not smoking has a lot of benefits and now I start to see them. I wish you good luck and keep posting. It is always good to read how people get on in their battle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

Just checking in, I'm on day 14 of champix now and 59 hours without a cigarette. :) Champix makes this so easy,sure I get some cravings now and again but they are very mild,pop a sweet in my mouth and they're gone in a few minutes.

I can't recommend champix enough. If anyone is having second thoughts or experiencing horrible side effects, please stick with it. Champix is the easiest way you are going to be able to quit.

Side Effects affecting me are mainly the dreams, which I see as a positive side effect! I've met old friends, done things I never thought I'd do and seen places I never thought I'd see. I'd almost say I look forward to going asleep so that I can have a dream.

I did have trouble sleeping initially,but looking back, I think it may have been the fear of bad dreams rather than the champix itself. I did have a little emotional moment also, Reading a newspaper article, I got a lump in my throat and my eyes welled up (It wasn't a particularly touching piece). Funny when I think about it.

The side effects definitely peaked around day 6-9, When the dosage doubles. My thought process was definitely altered, I'd drift off daydreaming of abnormal things. The side effects are completely manageable and more than a fair trade to have to face cold turkey nicotine nicotine withdrawl. Give me champix anyday.

I know It's only early,but I cannot see myself going back. I am already feeling free. I have stopped I have a sore throat and there is phlegm coming up from my lungs like a tap. These only serve as a reminder of the foolish damage I was doing to my body and are a welcome part of the healing process.

You can follow my progress on twitter : http://www.twitter.com/mwrf
    Good luck to anyone on champix at the moment and If you have never tried it or are nervous, Go see your doctor. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Had a lot to drink last night. An awful lot. But virtually no hangover despite waking up at 10 am. Not smoking is awesome!

Although in the dream(nightmare?) I had last night I smoked half a cigarette then stubbed it out. I felt so **** in the dream and because of the champix it seemed so real.

Guess it was a warning from my subconcious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anne28

I was on Champix till Friday. I took it for 11 days. The side effects are horiffic. I felt sick almost .immediately I had very vivid dreams, some nightmares and was constantly drowsy. Theworst happeened on days 9 to 11. I became dasnderously deppressed and tearful. By Friday I was terrified. I have since gone back to my doctor and was told to stop taking Champix immediately.

I have never been so scared as I was on Friday. I have no history of depression and have never had an adverse reaction to any medication before.

I would advise anyone considering this medication to proceed with be very careful. It is dangerous poison. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Anne28 wrote: »
    I was on Champix till Friday. I took it for 11 days. The side effects are horiffic. I felt sick almost .immediately I had very vivid dreams, some nightmares and was constantly drowsy. Theworst happeened on days 9 to 11. I became dasnderously deppressed and tearful. By Friday I was terrified. I have since gone back to my doctor and was told to stop taking Champix immediately.

I have never been so scared as I was on Friday. I have no history of depression and have never had an adverse reaction to any medication before.

I would advise anyone considering this medication to proceed with be very careful. It is dangerous poison. :mad:

All drugs have side effects. Champix is a prescription drug for this very reason. It's side effects can be severe.

• Advertisement

Anne28 wrote: »

Champix is a drug, which effects the receptors in your brain. Like any other drug it does has side effects. It is therefor no poison! Many people get side effects from taking nurofen or paracetamol and nobody would call this tablets poison. A drug is a drug - made of CHEMICALS!!!! So it is normal, that there will be different reactions to it. I am in my 8 week of champix and when you follow this thread have overcome most side effects after a while. And I am still convinced that this is the best smoking cessation drug on the market! There are many people around the world who finally could kick the habit with the help of champix!;)

Although in the dream(nightmare?) I had last night I smoked half a cigarette then stubbed it out. I felt so **** in the dream and because of the champix it seemed so real.

Guess it was a warning from my subconcious :D

I dream about smoking as well. But in my dreams a try to light up a cig and it will not happen. Get so frustrated, that I throw the cig away:o Maybe my brain is very busy with getting around the whole stop-smoking-process. But I like the dreams I do have with champix. Met lots of people I did not see for ages and it is all so vivid. Have some times trouble to get back to reality. I wonder if the dreams will stick around for a while when I finished the tablets and this is in the near future. Would be a shame to loose them!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Hi all, havent posted on this thread but have been taking champix for nearly 2weeks. Quit on day10. So far so good anyway. They are working for me, without any real side effects, only having the crazy dreams but from reading through other posts, alot of people are getting them. Had tried everything else and def find i have the least amount of cravings with the champix. Had given them up before for 9weeks with the patches and the cravings i was getting after been off them 5weeks was similar to the cravings im getting with the champix after 13days, only smoke free since day 10. I think this shows how good they are. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the posts, they have been keeping me going, well done to the everyone that is still off the smokes and to the people who havent succeeded yet, keep trying. Will keep people updated with how im going if it will help others. Thanks again.

Hi all, havent posted on this thread but have been taking champix for nearly 2weeks. Quit on day10. So far so good anyway. They are working for me, without any real side effects, only having the crazy dreams but from reading through other posts, alot of people are getting them. Had tried everything else and def find i have the least amount of cravings with the champix. Had given them up before for 9weeks with the patches and the cravings i was getting after been off them 5weeks was similar to the cravings im getting with the champix after 13days, only smoke free since day 10. I think this shows how good they are. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the posts, they have been keeping me going, well done to the everyone that is still off the smokes and to the people who havent succeeded yet, keep trying. Will keep people updated with how im going if it will help others. Thanks again.

Thanks for supporting all the new recruits and the others who are willing to fight it out! You say that you are "only" smoke free since day 10 - this is absolutely in the right time frame.Congratulations!!!!:D Maybe you will get more side effects with the start of the follow up package. But if you go through 6 weeks with champix without severe side effects - you are fine!
    I spoke with many people and the most common side effect with the follow on package is nausea, flatulence and bloating. But all of this will disappear again! Try to stick it out. It is well worth it. It is now week 9 for me with the champix and I do often forget the evening tablet, because I do have no more cravings in the evening. During the day I do still get the odd pang, but it does not last for long. This tablets work for me and I am so glad, that I made the step to get them. Keep the good work up. All the best!!!:D

connewitz wrote: »
    Thanks for supporting all the new recruits and the others who are willing to fight it out! You say that you are "only" smoke free since day 10 - this is absolutely in the right time frame.Congratulations!!!!:D Maybe you will get more side effects with the start of the follow up package. But if you go through 6 weeks with champix without severe side effects - you are fine!
    I spoke with many people and the most common side effect with the follow on package is nausea, flatulence and bloating. But all of this will disappear again! Try to stick it out. It is well worth it. It is now week 9 for me with the champix and I do often forget the evening tablet, because I do have no more cravings in the evening. During the day I do still get the odd pang, but it does not last for long. This tablets work for me and I am so glad, that I made the step to get them. Keep the good work up. All the best!!!:D
    Thanks Connewitz.Well done to you, you seem to be doing really well. Its great to get some feedback off people that have gone through the stage im at. Really helps. You were saying about the side effects from the follow on pack, are the tablets you get in that pack stronger than the starter pack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

I was thrilled to log on and still see so much interaction on the Chantix/Champix issue! I've been on this thread since January 2009! My quit date was January 12th, 2009. I haven't had a smoke since! Keep up the great work! Glad so see a few of my old friends helping out some of the "newbies"!! ;):D

Thanks Connewitz.Well done to you, you seem to be doing really well. Its great to get some feedback off people that have gone through the stage im at. Really helps. You were saying about the side effects from the follow on pack, are the tablets you get in that pack stronger than the starter pack?

Hi Andrew1984! I do think, that it is very important to stay in contact with people in the same situation. It helps me as well to go through! There are times where one just needs a helping hand or someone who listens and this happens right here in this thread!;)
    Now to your question. Yes the tablets in the follow on pack are stronger. Before, you were taking for 2 weeks half the dosage and then the double dosage. With the follow on pack you will take every day 2mg of varenicline. That is the reason why so many people get stronger side effects in time! But they are mostly the ones you already know by reading the posts. There are however few people with severe side effects. If you should experience a change in your behavior or mood, than contact your doctor. He/She might give you half the dosage or get you of champix completely. But this must be the doctors decision. I do keep my fingers crossed for you!!! Good luck!:D

DonnieL wrote: »
    I was thrilled to log on and still see so much interaction on the Chantix/Champix issue! I've been on this thread since January 2009! My quit date was January 12th, 2009. I haven't had a smoke since! Keep up the great work! Glad so see a few of my old friends helping out some of the "newbies"!! ;):D

Hello DonnieL! How is it going in Anaheim? We never were involved in posting, but I did read a lot of your posts you have sent. And I must admit, that I am a great admirer of yours!:D To quit in your age is outstanding and to not giving in after a dedicated smoker life even more! Is the weight still coming off and how is your general health improving? I do wish you the very best! Hope that you will pop in now and than, that would be nice!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

HA! HA! Connewitz, I'm impressed!!:D Yes, things are Grand in Anaheim and I still hear the Firworks from Disneyland everynight!;)

Yes the weight is still coming off. I may have mentioned starting at 220. When I weighed myself Tuesday I was at 197! I'm still using the treadmill everday for 30 minutes ( .78/mi):D

Keep up the good work!! And Kudos to you for sticking it out! Sounds like you're doing great!!!!;)

Thank you soooo much DonnieL! You are my good example and I will try everything to stick to my guns. Congratulation on your weight loss!! Well done:D
    I don`t have to fight weight gain (yet) but I do run for 60 min on cross trainer 3-4 times a week. Is it not amazing how such a small, but important decision, can change your life completely. From smoker and couch potato to a healthy and fit person! I just love it!:D No more the youngest myself and it is so good to change. Very rewarding! Keep you updated and the very best to you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

This day last week was having my final cigarette. Still going strong, don't even think of them much now. When I think of having one now its like I'm relieved I don't have to. Think I really didn't like smoking just the nicotene addiction kept me going!

Hi Bottle of Smoke! It is great to hear, that you are still on it! When you have the time, just read through the thread and you will see 3 types of people: Type 1: goes through with it and comes out as a non-smoker for the rest of his/her life. Type 2: Has a lot of problems with champix and has to give up and than is type 3 who has the odd slip ups and just can`t stop completely. I hope, that you and me will be type 1!;) The most advice and support I found in DonnieL. I never was posting with him, but just by reading his posts I did found what I was looking for - support! And he is still going strong!
    I start on Monday my week 10 on champix and will be off the fags for 2 month on Tuesdaynext week. WHAT A FEELING!!!! This thread is like a circle of friends to me. Never met anybody, but we are in the same boat and this is so important for just not giving in and start smoking again! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anne28

While I am very aware that all drugs have side effects, some more serious than others,it is reasonable to consider a drug that makes a person with no history of depression poisonous to that person.

Hi DonnieL! I am so thrilled with the performance of the US-Team at the Football WM 2010! Go USA! I do know, that Soccer is not really much played and watched in the States, this makes it even more exciting!
    I play soccer in my champix-dreams (by the way I am female). But the WM is something special and I would not miss it for all TV-Shows or films in the world. Are you watching? Hope you will go to the next round! Fingers crossed!
    :D

Hi there! Are you all still alive or has the sun drained your energy? I do hope, that all of you are still on the quest of becoming non-smokers.
    I am today 2 months of the cigs!!!!!!! Yeapeeeeeeeeh!!!!! Will now try to take only one tablet. Have just 3 weeks left on champix and maybe I can wean myself off them. Please keep posting! I know, I know - sunshine, kiddos off school, Football WM, Wimbledon and holidays. It is just so quiet in the last time on the board! If someone has time please write! Wish you all the best!:D

• Advertisement

connewitz wrote: »
    Hi there! Are you all still alive or has the sun drained your energy? I do hope, that all of you are still on the quest of becoming non-smokers.
    I am today 2 months of the cigs!!!!!!! Yeapeeeeeeeeh!!!!! Will now try to take only one tablet. Have just 3 weeks left on champix and maybe I can wean myself off them. Please keep posting! I know, I know - sunshine, kiddos off school, Football WM, Wimbledon and holidays. It is just so quiet in the last time on the board! If someone has time please write! Wish you all the best!:D

Hi Connewitz, how are you? good i assume from your post. Well done on getting to 2months, not an easy thing to do and you seem to be doing really well :D. Im 10days off the cigs now. Was at a wedding on friday and got a few cravings after a few pints but i refused to give in, was my first time drinking since i had given up so i was prepared for the cravings so made it that bit easier to cope with them. Was at the after party sat and didnt have any real cravings even after a few pints. All going well at the moment. Not thinking of cigs as much. Vivid dreams are still there but hoping they will pass soon. Hope that everyone that is trying to give up smoking is doing well. Congatulations on 2months and keep doing what your doing cause its working for you. Thanks for posting too cause its a great help to me. Chat soon, take care :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I have a prescription for Champix with a while now and I think it's time I gave it a go.

I've read all about the side effects but I'm willing to deal with that.

Just want to know how much less I'll want to smoke (I currently smoke 20 a day).

Also, heard they are expensive. Anyone have a general price for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Likewise, have the prescription and heard they were expensive but I bet if you work of the cost of the smokes over the same period it probably works out.

Kind of working myself up to going in and actually buying them.

Macca07 wrote: »
    I have a prescription for Champix with a while now and I think it's time I gave it a go.

I've read all about the side effects but I'm willing to deal with that.

Just want to know how much less I'll want to smoke (I currently smoke 20 a day).

Also, heard they are expensive. Anyone have a general price for them?

Don't think of it in regard the up front price. It WILL be cheaper than 20 cigs a day for a month. I think I paid in the region of €90 for a 4 week pack.

was that with or without a DPS card?

and will i need to have that card on me at the chemist?

Macca07 wrote: »
    was that with or without a DPS card?

and will i need to have that card on me at the chemist?

I honestly can't remember if I got a discount with DPS as it was over a year ago. Anywho, I believe things have slightly changed in that regard.

What I do know is that is the rough price I paid.

thanks very much RangeR

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

Does any one know if these are available on the medical card?

Hi Macca, how are u? Im on the champix 20days now. Stopped smoking on day 10. I used to smoke from 20-30 a day. Personally i found after day 3 that i was down to around 10-12 a day. This varies from person to person. I have read some people have stopped on day 3 and some people didnt stop smoking for a few weeks. When i quit on day 10, i found it was no where near as hard as i thought it would be to stop. I am having vivid dreams from taking the tablets but not really experiencing any other side effects. You do need willpower with the tablets cause you will still get cravings, personally they have been very mild for me and nothing that i couldnt deal with. Would highly recommend these tablets if you really want to stop smoking. I am only in the early days but i feel like i wont smoke again. They cost around 100euro for 4week supply. You have to take them for 12weeks so 300euro altogether. Sounds like alot of money but if you smoke 20 a day, you would spend 714euro in 12weeks on cigs. If you need to no anymore, ask me and if i can give you an answer i will. Best of luck

• Advertisement

they are available on the medical card

Advertisement