Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Thanks Andrew, very helpful, answered every question I have

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Hi Connewitz, how are you? good i assume from your post. Well done on getting to 2months, not an easy thing to do and you seem to be doing really well :D. Im 10days off the cigs now. Was at a wedding on friday and got a few cravings after a few pints but i refused to give in, was my first time drinking since i had given up so i was prepared for the cravings so made it that bit easier to cope with them. Was at the after party sat and didnt have any real cravings even after a few pints. All going well at the moment. Not thinking of cigs as much. Vivid dreams are still there but hoping they will pass soon. Hope that everyone that is trying to give up smoking is doing well. Congatulations on 2months and keep doing what your doing cause its working for you. Thanks for posting too cause its a great help to me. Chat soon, take care :D

Hi Andrewh 1984! You done it - this is where the most stumble and fall, when drink comes into play. Not easy to say no to temptation. Well done and many congratulations!!!!:D 10 days is a long time without a smoke, don`t think it`s only 10 days. Every day is a small victory! I had to face a party after just 5 days without smokes. I do know what you are talking about. It did not seem to face me at the time but now when I have a drink I get a pang out of nowhere. And out comes the lolly, my little helper in stress situations!;) It sounds stupid - I know, but it helps.:o Have lollies now in my handbag (just in case .....). I am taking now only one tablet in the morning and this since 2 days. Have no problems and no stronger cravings. Hope I can stay with one and wean myself off. You are doing very well and like you said:"Keep doing what you are doing cause its working for you!" Next time you are posting you will be off the cigs even longer. That is something to look forward to!!!:D:D:D

amtaxi wrote: »
    Does any one know if these are available on the medical card?

Yes they are available on medical card. Got them myself with med card. The doc will give you a prescription for a month. If you want to go through the whole process without consulting your doc between he/she can give you a repeat prescription. I found that I should see my doc after a month and talk things over (side effects). Worked a treat! Got last pack without consultation. Now only 2,5 weeks left and going strong. Give it a try. It`s well worth it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hi

I just can't believe how good these tablets are, i'm 33 been smoking since about i was about 15, gradually over the years i had been smoking more and more was gone up to between 30-35 a day crazy i know and i had to do something about it before its to late, had tried a few times before cold turkey to pack them up but failed miserably, so then i heard about champix from a friend so tried them about 2 months ago and am still off the cigs, after only about 3 or 4 days i started taking these tablets the cravings had halfed and i was smoking away less so after day 10 i stopped smoking and havn't smoked since now i'm into my 3rd month i only took the tablets for 1 month, i had very little side affects the only ones i was getting was dreams which were decent dreams, i must say since i have been off them my energy level has gone sky high and i'm sleeping better,

All i say is fair play to pfizer for producing this drug as i think it will save so many lives around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

gustafo wrote: »
    Hi

I just can't believe how good these tablets are, i'm 33 been smoking since about i was about 15, gradually over the years i had been smoking more and more was gone up to between 30-35 a day crazy i know and i had to do something about it before its to late, had tried a few times before cold turkey to pack them up but failed miserably, so then i heard about champix from a friend so tried them about 2 months ago and am still off the cigs, after only about 3 or 4 days i started taking these tablets the cravings had halfed and i was smoking away less so after day 10 i stopped smoking and havn't smoked since now i'm into my 3rd month i only took the tablets for 1 month, i had very little side affects the only ones i was getting was dreams which were decent dreams, i must say since i have been off them my energy level has gone sky high and i'm sleeping better,

All i say is fair play to pfizer for producing this drug as i think it will save so many lives around the world

Fair play man. Can I ask you, when you quit the tabs was there any return of withdrawal symptoms? Or had your body just forgotten what nicotine was by then?

• Advertisement

Fair play man. Can I ask you, when you quit the tabs was there any return of withdrawal symptoms? Or had your body just forgotten what nicotine was by then?

No not really i still chew gum a fair bit but i have been doing that since day1 when i first started taking the tablets its just a habbit now i think but a million times better than smoking, i honestly feel 100% confident that i will never smoke again even when i'm out with mates at the pub and in the beer garden i have no desires to smoke whatsoever,

Happy days

Hi there! Congrats to quitting! Are you chewing nicotine gum? If yes, than you are not of nicotine completely. And this is the aim of champix. Or did I get your post comment wrong?

Hi Bottle of Smoke! Please do not quit with the tablets. Do you still remember RangerR and DonnieL? They where the best advisers on this board and they told you to go the whole course! I know it feels easy now, because champix let you feel like you have overcome your addiction. But this is not so! We all have a long road ahead of us and it will be a battle of will for a long time. Just try to stick it out. 3 months are not that long if you think about it and the reward will be there!!! We are all with you on this journey!!!

connewitz wrote: »
    Hi there! Congrats to quitting! Are you chewing nicotine gum? If yes, than you are not of nicotine completely. And this is the aim of champix. Or did I get your post comment wrong?

Have never even tried nicotine gum so i wouldn't know what its like, all i'm chewing is wrigley's extra ice gum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I still have cravings. I'm just over a year sober. The difference being is that it's MUCH more manageable now. Not really that I learned to deal with the cravings. they are actually less than associated with not having smoked for a day or two.

Yes, I still want a cigarette.
    Yes, I still love the smell and taste of my specific brand.
    Yes, I still get slight cravings
    I just don't let myself have one, purely on health grounds. Isn't that the reason everyone quits? :)

Don't give up the tabs. Pay for the next round. Anything else and you are only fooling yourself.

• Advertisement

gustafo wrote: »
    Have never even tried nicotine gum so i wouldn't know what its like, all i'm chewing is wrigley's extra ice gum

I was not sure, if you were writing about normal gum or nicotine gum. So I do apologize for my wrong assumption.:o Chew on!!!

RangeR wrote: »
    I still have cravings. I'm just over a year sober. The difference being is that it's MUCH more manageable now. Not really that I learned to deal with the cravings. they are actually less than associated with not having smoked for a day or two.

Yes, I still want a cigarette.
    Yes, I still love the smell and taste of my specific brand.
    Yes, I still get slight cravings
    I just don't let myself have one, purely on health grounds. Isn't that the reason everyone quits? :)

Don't give up the tabs. Pay for the next round. Anything else and you are only fooling yourself.
    Hi RangeR! Thanks for the input! It is soooo important to stick to your guns. I am now in the last phase of champix and do often feel, like I could do without them. But like you said, I stick it out. Just off the evening tablet and doing fine. Have you cut down on them before ending the treatment or did the doctor wean you off them with a lighter dose? Is it okay when I keep the evening tablets and prolong the treatment with half the dosage? Thanks for your help all along!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Gsxr600

Hi.
    I see that U are working hard to stay off the smokes lads.
    Being a smoker for last 12 years I have found easier way to quit thanks to my sister who recommended a book.
    Allen Carr - Easyway
    No cravings, no willpower required and now off the smokes for last 4 months.
    Feeling great about it, I would reccomend it to anyone.
    Here is the website where You can find some more information.
    http://www.allencarr.ie/
    Dont get me wrong - im not advertising here.
    Just saying that it worked well for me and its well worth trying before You get the perscription.

All the best.
    Gsxr600

Gsxr600 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I see that U are working hard to stay off the smokes lads.
    Being a smoker for last 12 years I have found easier way to quit thanks to my sister who recommended a book.
    Allen Carr - Easyway
    No cravings, no willpower required and now off the smokes for last 4 months.
    Feeling great about it, I would reccomend it to anyone.
    Here is the website where You can find some more information.
    http://www.allencarr.ie/
    Dont get me wrong - im not advertising here.
    Just saying that it worked well for me and its well worth trying before You get the perscription.

All the best.
    Gsxr600

Hi! I have heard a lot about this book. If it works, than fine - but I do think, that you need more than willpower to quit when you where smoking for over 35 or 50 years! A helping hand by this little blue pill is than required.;) But if you are smoking for "only" a couple of years maybe you can try to quit with the help of this book. You are doing well as it seems and I do wish you good luck and health for the future. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Have you cut down on them before ending the treatment or did the doctor wean you off them with a lighter dose? Is it okay when I keep the evening tablets and prolong the treatment with half the dosage? Thanks for your help all along!

Yes. I didn't finish my entire treatment at all. I think I still had about 2 weeks left. However I didn't finish my prescription either. From memory I think I only went through about 8 of the 12 week program. I didn't intentionally ween myself off them. Just, as the weeks went on, I kept forgetting to take the tablets so it came to a point where I just stopped.

The HARDEST part of giving up smoking was the actual final cig. A feeling of dread came over me. Not dread about the cravings but dread that I'll never taste it ever again.

RangeR wrote: »
    Yes. I didn't finish my entire treatment at all. I think I still had about 2 weeks left. However I didn't finish my prescription either. From memory I think I only went through about 8 of the 12 week program. I didn't intentionally ween myself off them. Just, as the weeks went on, I kept forgetting to take the tablets so it came to a point where I just stopped.

The HARDEST part of giving up smoking was the actual final cig. A feeling of dread came over me. Not dread about the cravings but dread that I'll never taste it ever again.

Hi RangeR!
    Thanks for the prompt reply! I also have still 2 weeks to go and I did experience the same like you did. Just kept forgetting the tablets so I stopped taking them in the evening. I am still a little bit skeptical how I will manage without them but I came so far, now is no way of return and if I have to muster my full willpower!!!!
    Just wanted to say: WE BEAT ENGLAND!!!! :D:D:P (Did I ever mention that I am from Germany?) So happy for our boys. Well done Germany!
    And I am absolutely over the moon that the French had to go home. Ireland had earned it place in the WM!!!

Hello to everyone! Hope you are fine and enjoy the weather so far. How is the fight going? Still off the cigarettes? I do have more and more dreams about me buying cigarettes or trying to smuggle them in my house and when I wake up I do feel so guilty. It`s frightening!!! Has anyone of you such dreams? But I do well, take only one champix a day and I lost weight! I could not believe it. Maybe I am very lucky. Could do so with a win in the lottery!!! Okay, if someone has time than write how you get on. Wishing you all the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Hello to everyone! Hope you are fine and enjoy the weather so far. How is the fight going? Still off the cigarettes? I do have more and more dreams about me buying cigarettes or trying to smuggle them in my house and when I wake up I do feel so guilty. It`s frightening!!! Has anyone of you such dreams? But I do well, take only one champix a day and I lost weight! I could not believe it. Maybe I am very lucky. Could do so with a win in the lottery!!! Okay, if someone has time than write how you get on. Wishing you all the best!
    Hi connewitz. How are you? Your still going strong, well done. Im still off cigarettes, nearly 3weeks now so im delighted. Congrats on beating England, nothing sweeter :D, i havent started having them sort of dreams yet but im sure they will come eventually. I think they are part of the process of giving up. I gave up drinking a couple of years back and i used to have dreams of me picking up a drink and when i was just about to put it to my lips, i would wake up sweating and in a panic. Them dreams went eventually. Personally i think its the subconsious fear that we have of not drinking or smoking that causes them dreams, i could be wrong but thats my opinion on it. Im sure they will pass in time :D, well done on getting down to 1 tablet a day. Your doing brilliant. Keep up the good work and chat soon :D

Hi connewitz. How are you? Your still going strong, well done. Im still off cigarettes, nearly 3weeks now so im delighted. Congrats on beating England, nothing sweeter :D, i havent started having them sort of dreams yet but im sure they will come eventually. I think they are part of the process of giving up. I gave up drinking a couple of years back and i used to have dreams of me picking up a drink and when i was just about to put it to my lips, i would wake up sweating and in a panic. Them dreams went eventually. Personally i think its the subconsious fear that we have of not drinking or smoking that causes them dreams, i could be wrong but thats my opinion on it. Im sure they will pass in time :D, well done on getting down to 1 tablet a day. Your doing brilliant. Keep up the good work and chat soon :D

Hi Andrew1984! Applause!!! It seems to me, that you are trying to become a healthier and more sensible person. Go on!:D Nice to hear that some men are fed up with their bad habits. I do know that drinking is part of the irish culture and had to learn not to give out too much when my partner was in the pub. It was just very strange because we were living in Germany for 5 years together and I never had drink related problems with him. Since we moved to Ireland in 2002 he changed completely. We had lots of arguments about it but he thinks it is a social thing and everybody is getting drunk at weekends. I stay away from the pubs and we go just for the odd meal. Still thinking that I lost a part of him here in Ireland. Love him to bits, but he is trying too hard to fit in. So well done to you that you found your way out of this!:D:D:D I had no clue, that you get such weird dreams by giving up the drink. It must have really something to do with fear and loss. 3 weeks off the fags is brilliant. I can`t even imagine how hard this must be for you. You are the man!;). How do you handle your times of cravings? I am addicted to lolly pops!:o Please keep posting! I would really like to know how you are getting on and I keep my fingers crossed for you! You are strong, you can do it. Haven`t you proven this before?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Hi Andrew1984! Applause!!! It seems to me, that you are trying to become a healthier and more sensible person. Go on!:D Nice to hear that some men are fed up with their bad habits. I do know that drinking is part of the irish culture and had to learn not to give out too much when my partner was in the pub. It was just very strange because we were living in Germany for 5 years together and I never had drink related problems with him. Since we moved to Ireland in 2002 he changed completely. We had lots of arguments about it but he thinks it is a social thing and everybody is getting drunk at weekends. I stay away from the pubs and we go just for the odd meal. Still thinking that I lost a part of him here in Ireland. Love him to bits, but he is trying too hard to fit in. So well done to you that you found your way out of this!:D:D:D I had no clue, that you get such weird dreams by giving up the drink. It must have really something to do with fear and loss. 3 weeks off the fags is brilliant. I can`t even imagine how hard this must be for you. You are the man!;). How do you handle your times of cravings? I am addicted to lolly pops!:o Please keep posting! I would really like to know how you are getting on and I keep my fingers crossed for you! You are strong, you can do it. Haven`t you proven this before?!:D
    Hi connewitz, dont know about the sensible bit but trying to be healthier anyway, thanks for your post:D. I do drink now and again. Stayed off it completely for 2years but do drink on the odd occasion now. I think us irish have the impression that we cant have fun unless we drink. Its a sad way of thinking but its true. To be honest, im not finding it too difficult at the moment, im only getting slight cravings and when i do, i eat chewing gum or believe it or not, i come on this thread and start reading some of the posts. Might be odd but its working so i dont care. Im even starting to dispise the smell of them. I cant believe how good the tablets are. Being addicted to lollipops is better than been addicted to fags so i wouldnt worry about it. Its working and thats the main thing. We all need to fill the void with something. You must be off them 2 and half months at this stage are you? Well done. Keep posting cause its helping me along, thanks and chat soon :D

• Advertisement

Hi Andrewh (I leave the numbers out,if this is okay with you?!)!
    Tomorrow I will be off the smokes for 2 months and 2 weeks. Amazing how time is running through our hands! We were this weekend in Cork and helped my daughter and partner move house. Both of them are smokers and it was a hard test for me. No trouble in the evening but when they smoked a cig with having coffee in the morning - I was really fighting the urge to have one!!!!:o
    There was the old pattern again - coffee and cig belong together! We were watching Argentina vs Germany and it was a good and exciting match and it did not bother me to see my daughter and boyfriend smoking but the smell of the coffee combined with the cigarette was like a clue for my receptors.
    Now I do know what sets it off very strong and I will try to create more such situations, can only make me stronger!
    At the moment I am fighting with myself. Don`t know if I will make a appointment with my doc or if I stay on 1 tablet for the next 4 weeks (this is how many of them I do still have). I will have to come to terms with it. When I read through the thread I can see, that people who cut down on them and prolonged the time had the most success and I think I will try this out. If I should get harder cravings then I can visit my doc again.
    You are going steady as well and every day is a step closer to your goal. Take it hour by hour, day by day and the month will start to pile up. I am like you - when a need advice then I start to read the thread again and it helps. I do often wonder what did happen to all the people. Some of them were there for a long time and suddenly you hear nothing more. Wonder if they started again and felt ashamed? :confused: So I do promise that I will keep posting and if it is only the two of us - we will help us along!!!:D You done very well so far keep it up!!!!!!!!!:D Speak you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi, Just checking in to see how everyone is doing! Connewitz and AndrewH I want to Congratulate you both on your GREAT achievment!! Keep up the great work! Also, Connewitz, thanks for continuing to "CARRY THE TORCH"!!
    You were speaking of Dreams. I still have dreams occaisionally that I'm having a smoke in my patio (was my smoking lounge) and wake up sooo relieved that it was just a dream and I've been off the Cigs for over a Year and a half now! (but who's counting) :D
    Connewitz I see you're from Germany. My great great grandparents migrated here to the US from Baden-Baden back in the mid 1800's.
    Keep up the fight! And God Bless!!!;):D:pac:

DonnieL wrote: »
    Hi, Just checking in to see how everyone is doing! Connewitz and AndrewH I want to Congratulate you both on your GREAT achievment!! Keep up the great work! Also, Connewitz, thanks for continuing to "CARRY THE TORCH"!!
    You were speaking of Dreams. I still have dreams occaisionally that I'm having a smoke in my patio (was my smoking lounge) and wake up sooo relieved that it was just a dream and I've been off the Cigs for over a Year and a half now! (but who's counting) :D
    Connewitz I see you're from Germany. My great great grandparents migrated here to the US from Baden-Baden back in the mid 1800's.
    Keep up the fight! And God Bless!!!;):D:pac:

Hello DonnieL! This is so nice of you to check in again. Thanks for your time! You are going with giant steps forward to your second year of being a non-smoker. You are my role model and when I have a bad string all I do is to read some of your posts and it keeps me going. Thanks for your humorous and encouraging posts!:D I do dream of trying to smoke but somehow it never happens. Either I can`t light the cigarette or I am searching for a hiding place and never manage to hide them before I do wake up again. It is amazing how the subconsciousness is trying to come to terms with the withdrawal of all them chemicals and nicotine.
    So we have common roots!:D Baden-Baden is a very nice part of Germany. Many people are send to Baden-Baden by their GP`s. It is a big health resort! Splendid buildings and parks. Really nice (and expensive)! I was born in former East Germany (not my fault) in a City called Leipzig. This was the place where all the rebellion started and the people went on the streets to fight (peaceful) for a better future. This is now so long ago but still very vivid in my memory.
    I wish you all the best and an iron health! Maybe we will celebrate your 75.th birthday on the board.;) I would be so delighted if you would pop in now and then! And I will try to hold the torch high!:D
    By the way - Germany is in the Semi-Final and maybe only maybe we will make it to the FINAL!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Hey guys. I'm now over a month off cigarettes. I stopped taking the pills just over 2weeks ago. I was starting to feel miserable and as depression/suicidal thoughts are listed as symptoms I didn't want to risk getting any worse.

It didn't make not smoking any more difficult so not too worried. Even had one big temptation - Some mates were over with some weed but didn't have a pipe or anything so they rolled it with tobacco. I was very drunk but still managed to say no. So glad I didn't it would have been such a setback

So glad I didn't it would have been such a setback[/QUOTE]

It is very hard to resist temptation. You done it - be proud of yourself! What a shame that you started to get side effects. I keep my fingers crossed, that you can stick to your (non-smoking) guns!;) Next week I will be off the cigs for 3 months! Stopped taking champix a week ago because I did forget to take them,so what the heck, I just went on without them! Feel not much different just trouble sleeping. Hope this will go away!
    You have come this fare and I am sure you will manage without champix!!! You had no cigarette for a month!!!:D Just think about how scary it was at the beginning! The thought alone - no more cigarette- was enough to reach for the next one. And now - you are free!!!!!:D:D:D No more a slave of the cigarettes. Keep it going and good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

One year, One Week, One Day,One hour ,3 minutes and 14 seconds.
    9326 cigarettes not smoked,
    saving €3,963.59.
    Life saved: 4 weeks, 4 days, 9 hours, 10 minutes.

Hi
    I Meant to post this a week ago, but I went on a Sun holiday. Can ya Blame me really!
    I made it and made it for two huge reasons, One, I wanted to and Two, Champix!
    I would never have made it otherwise, and thats the honest truth people!

Best of luck everybody, hang in there and if I can do it, then so can you!
    I do have to pinch myself at times. A big benifit was in the airport, I wasn't stressed out counting the hours until the next cigarette, it was brilliant I was so relaxed for a change!

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    One year, One Week, One Day,One hour ,3 minutes and 14 seconds.
    9326 cigarettes not smoked,
    saving €3,963.59.
    Life saved: 4 weeks, 4 days, 9 hours, 10 minutes.

Hi
    I Meant to post this a week ago, but I went on a Sun holiday. Can ya Blame me really!
    I made it and made it for two huge reasons, One, I wanted to and Two, Champix!
    I would never have made it otherwise, and thats the honest truth people!

Best of luck everybody, hang in there and if I can do it, then so can you!
    I do have to pinch myself at times. A big benifit was in the airport, I wasn't stressed out counting the hours until the next cigarette, it was brilliant I was so relaxed for a change!

Thanks sooooooooooo much for your post! This is exactly the kind of support we all do need!:) Fortunately I could finish my course of champix (even a little bit earlier) and have no craving since one week! I cut down on my lolly pops as well and this is a true sign that I don`t need the supplement for mouth and hand anymore. Yes!!!!!!:D
    The money is the other side of it. I am unemployed since over 3 years now and money is scarce. So it is nice that I can put the money aside in saving account. I have sworn to myself, that I will put the weekly smoking money in it and not use it for shopping. Done it and now I am 450 Euro richer!!!
    There are so many things getting better without smoking - why the heck did I start in the first place?:confused::o
    So to all of you fighting a lonely battle - we can do it! We are strong and we will win!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Go for it! :)

I am on Day 14 and doing well.
    It is such a relief to be smober

NavanEPS wrote: »
    Go for it! :)

I am on Day 14 and doing well.
    It is such a relief to be smober

Hi NavanEPS and welcome on board! Are you on champix as well? And is it day 14 of taking champix or day 14 since your last cigarette? Just to see where you stand!;) We are in this thread since a very long time as you can see and there are more and more people joining in. Can only be good because every little support and help is most welcome! So go on and beat the habit!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi
    I am not on champix - I was hypnotised which helped with the "habit" cravings, but obviously not the physical nicotine symptoms, which I have found terrible at times, but after 2 weeks these are easing off.

I haven't smoked since 5th July and am not on any NRT.

I don't think it matters how people give up smoking just the fact we are all giving up is just fantastic so congratulations to us all!

Advertisement