Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Hi everyone! Today it is exactly 3 months since I stopped smoking. I have no more cravings and sometimes I do feel like I did never smoked at all. It just does not bother me anymore! Still on the healthy food and love it. And I am still doing my routine on the cross trainer. No weight gain and feeling fantastic! Thanks everyone on this thread for all the support you gave me through rough times. You are all a part of my new becoming! Thanks sooo much!!!!:D And I wish all of you the very best in fighting the habit - however you are doing it - it is worth all of it!:) Keep posting because it helps all of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

Hi all, I read through all of this thread before I got the Champix. I am currently on day 4, cigarette free, and feel so much better. I am trying to go to the beach every day for a walk but am finding that the Champix is making me very tired. As for the mood swings, I have not got these (yet!) but my doctor did give me a prescription for evening primrose tablets which I find are making a huge difference to me. Am very laid back and stress free since I started on these. There is depression in my family & I was terrified that these tablets would have an effect.
    I am amazed how easy it has been to quit smoking so far & I hope this continues cause I can feel the difference in my pocket already. Have been coughing up a lot and getting a sore throat but I hop that these will be gone soon.
    I dreams are great, I look forward to these. Not scary ones, nice dreams & some are even x rated. OMG.;)
    Thanks for reading & I'm keeping an eye on this thread for everybody elses sucess stories.
    S.

mumzboyz wrote: »
    I am trying to go to the beach every day for a walk but am finding that the Champix is making me very tired.
    S.

Hi mumzboyz! Great to welcome you on board and congrats on your decision to kick the habit!!!!:D The tiredness is normal with champix. It is working on your receptors and makes you relaxed. Without it you would have now the typical withdrawal symptoms like being nervous and restless! Tiredness will disappear after a couple of weeks. Just try to stay active don`t give in! I was tired and dizzy at the beginning but went through my daily routine with sport and walking. It helped me to feel better!;) Keep an eye on your state of mind. If you feel that you are changing in your behavior go and see the doc. Don`t wait to long! Some of the people in this thread had to quit champix because it made them sick. So be aware of changes in your personality! I wish you good luck and keep the posts coming!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

6 months off them today..:D
    Champix does work if you really really really want to give them up.

i smoked for 15 years and decided enough was enough,went to doctor who advised me to try champix.I did exactly what it says to do on the leaflet(got the odd weird dream,but nothing too bad),and i really cant believe that im actully 6 months off the cigs.

Sure i still get the odd little craving,but as time goes by they get weaker and weaker.

Just to say to people starting off,stick with it,believe me its well worth it,
    Dee;)

kildare75 wrote: »
    6 months off them today..:D
    Champix does work if you really really really want to give them up.

i smoked for 15 years and decided enough was enough,went to doctor who advised me to try champix.I did exactly what it says to do on the leaflet(got the odd weird dream,but nothing too bad),and i really cant believe that im actully 6 months off the cigs.

Sure i still get the odd little craving,but as time goes by they get weaker and weaker.

Just to say to people starting off,stick with it,believe me its well worth it,
    Dee;)

Every little helps! I am half way where you are but I did smoke for 35 years so cut me a little slack please! I find it much better with champix than cold turkey or the odd nicotine replacement. It really messes with your brain (in a good way for me). And all in this thread are in the same battle. Just to say that you should not give up and read all the good posts!!!;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies.

The cravings got to me on Sunday & I smoked half a cigarette. Was disgusted with myself so put it out. I woke up at 5 that morning & could not get back to sleep. My sleeping pattern is gone haywire at the moment.

The cravings are coming on strong again today, so I am struggling with that a bit - was awake early again this morning. I know it varies with most people but when do things go back to normal.:eek:

S

Thanks for your replies.

The cravings got to me on Sunday & I smoked half a cigarette. Was disgusted with myself so put it out. I woke up at 5 that morning & could not get back to sleep. My sleeping pattern is gone haywire at the moment.

The cravings are coming on strong again today, so I am struggling with that a bit - was awake early again this morning. I know it varies with most people but when do things go back to normal.:eek:

S

Please do not give in! A slip up can happen but let it be the only one. Had people on this thread which thought they are now good to go - like smoking one cig and then no more. It does not work like this, it will be the start of a life as a smoker again!!!!
    Your sleeping patterns will be disturbed for a long time. It is not only the champix it is the response of your body to the nicotine withdrawal. Try going for a walk in the evening or reading a book before you go to bed. If you have to get up early in the morning for work then speak with your doc. He/She might help you with a mild sleeping pill.
    I stopped the champix about 2 weeks ago because I did forget them (have about 21 left) and I do have still problems with my sleep. Fall asleep very quick and wake up around 3 or 4 in the morning. Sometimes I can go back to sleep sometimes it takes up to 1 hour.
    I am unemployed so I do have not to go to work. But I do never sleep longer than 8 am. Just forcing myself to go on with the day even when I had little sleep. It will go back to normal. Just sit it out!:)
    Do you do any kind of sport? This could help as well.
    But for now concentrate on giving up smoking and the rest will fall into place!!!:D:D:D

I'm determined to fight through today - its the only way I'll quit smoking. Anyways I have ordered a pair of boots which I really want but cannot afford if I dont quit - they keep me going too.:D

I don't work at the moment but I will be back in college in September so I hope my sleep has returned to normal by then otherwise I could be studying at any hour of the night.

Connie, thanks for your sound advice. I think today is one of those days where it would be very easy to give in.

S

Keep them cool boots in mind and how you will look wearing them.:cool: It sounds stupid but this are the very things that keep us going. (I am saving, the money I used to spend weekly on cigs, for the first holiday my partner and I will have in 6 years.) You are still very young and now is the time to quit. I did smoke for (at least) 35 years and it was always hell to quit. Did not hold long so. The longest I did not smoke was for 2 years with my first child and then 3 years with the second one. And how easy was it to go back - just one cig at a party and there I was again - puffing like I had never quit! I do know what you are going through. It is tough!!!:eek:
    The champix was my last resort and it seems to be successful. Fingers and toes crossed!!!;)
    I got myself a load of lolly pops and when I got a craving they came in handy. At the beginning I needed about 6 a day now I am down to 2 in the evening. Not good for the teeth but better than smoking! I do my bit on the cross trainer every second day. It keeps the weight in balance. This was my biggest scare, to put on weight! It will come,I do know this, but I can keep it in a normal region.
    If you need more help I will be there.:)
    Can tell you the story of my friend in Germany who nearly died of lung cancer and how he is going on. (Just if you need more motivation.)
    Stick to your guns! I know you can do it!!!:D

Am trilled with myself - cravings not as strong. Still wrecked tired but I'll get through that. My boots coming next week, so I have to & will stay off the cigs to pay for them. :D
    Thanks Connie for you words of motivation

• Advertisement

Am trilled with myself - cravings not as strong. Still wrecked tired but I'll get through that. My boots coming next week, so I have to & will stay off the cigs to pay for them. :D

It will become easier! Way to go but you can do it. Take it day by day!
    Hope you are not going back on the cigs after you have paid for your boots.:rolleyes:
    Think of all the nice clothes which could go with them and how you can save the money when you don`t buy cigs!;)
    You can do it!:D Keep the posts coming, mumzboyz!:D

Where are you people? Hope only on holidays and not out of this thread because of starting smoking again.:P;)
    Today is day 100 without a smoke!!! Oh yes!!! Sounds good and I do feel good as well.
    This means 1000 - 1500 cigarettes not smoked and about 450 Euro more in my savings account!
    Please let me know how you are going on.
    This thread helped me immensely and I hope it will do the same for all of you.
    Keep posting!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well done C 100 days has a nice ring to it. I'm 8 weeks off yesterday. Think I forgot about this thread because I don't feel like a smoker anymore :D

Only annoying thing is my aunt/dad are heavy smokers. I call into them about 3/4 times a week and always have a bit of phlegm the next day. Prob the equivalent of smoking 4/5 cigs a week :rolleyes:. Will have to get them motivated to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Champix got me and the OH off, 3 years ago last week. mad weird dreams but tis only for a month or so. it did the job. not a single fag since. Well done to everyone for trying. Still don't mind people smoking beside me

T.

Well done Connie getting to 100 days freedom & everybody else. I see other people smoking now & I look at them with pity. I would hate to go back to that situation of relying on fags to get me through the day.

I'm doing fine so far, the last few days I've had some bad cravings & I would have loved to have had a smoke. Seem much better today. I am starting to wean myself off the champix because I don't think they are agreeing with me. I have a rash just above my knees & a pain on the side of my face which gets worse when I'm in bed at night. I think it could be the champix so am cutting back to see if there is any improvement.

On the plus side, I got my new boots which I love - just have to pay for them now:D

Well done C 100 days has a nice ring to it. I'm 8 weeks off yesterday. Think I forgot about this thread because I don't feel like a smoker anymore :D

Only annoying thing is my aunt/dad are heavy smokers. I call into them about 3/4 times a week and always have a bit of phlegm the next day. Prob the equivalent of smoking 4/5 cigs a week :rolleyes:. Will have to get them motivated to stop

It may sound stupid, but I did miss you!:o I was always convinced that you will make it and look where you are - 8 WEEKS off!!!! Love it!:D
    Now you can try to reform your dad and aunt. They can see that you made it and are still alive, so they might give it a go.
    Would love to hear from you again.
    Well done!!!!!!!!!! Stay focused and enjoy your new life.

trellheim wrote: »
    Champix got me and the OH off, 3 years ago last week. mad weird dreams but tis only for a month or so. it did the job. not a single fag since. Well done to everyone for trying. Still don't mind people smoking beside me

T.

Nice to hear from someone who done it and is still off the cigs! 3 years sounds soooooooooooo long to me, but I do hope that I can say this as well one day!;)
    Thanks for your support. Every little bit helps us to stay off the cigs and keep on going. :D

I'm doing fine so far, the last few days I've had some bad cravings & I would have loved to have had a smoke. Seem much better today. I am starting to wean myself off the champix because I don't think they are agreeing with me. I have a rash just above my knees & a pain on the side of my face which gets worse when I'm in bed at night. I think it could be the champix so am cutting back to see if there is any improvement.

Every day it seems like climbing a mountain again and again. But slowly we will get to the top and then we can call us NON-SMOKERS!!!!!
    You should go and see your GP. Don`t try to ween yourself off the champix. It is far to early for this! I am sure that your GP can help you!
    Was at a wedding over the weekend. Booze and Smokes in abundance! Got through it and I am now really proud of myself. This was a big hurdle for me and I took it.
    No regrets about giving up smoking! I love my new self!!!:D
    You could send some pics of your new boots so we all can admire them!;)
    Keep posting mumzboyz!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ringfinder

My OH is coming up to the 2 month mark now and hasn't smoked since her quit date five weeks ago.

I have noticed some mood changes in the last week or so. She's become snappy from time to time, and some little things have made her upset in a way they wouldn't normally. It's still pretty mild, but I was wondering if this is normal so late into the course. She's also started getting pains in her legs and I think her sleeping is more restless (more tossing and turning rather than waking up).

I don't think she's ready to finish the course, but is this something she should try to do ahead of running out of tablets. I think her prescription has a third month's worth yet to take.

ringfinder wrote: »
    My OH is coming up to the 2 month mark now and hasn't smoked since her quit date five weeks ago.

I have noticed some mood changes in the last week or so. She's become snappy from time to time, and some little things have made her upset in a way they wouldn't normally. It's still pretty mild, but I was wondering if this is normal so late into the course. She's also started getting pains in her legs and I think her sleeping is more restless (more tossing and turning rather than waking up).

I don't think she's ready to finish the course, but is this something she should try to do ahead of running out of tablets. I think her prescription has a third month's worth yet to take.

Hi ringfinder! Everybody is different. When you should have the time then read through this thread. Some people have no reactions at all and others suffer so severe they have had to give up the champix and try to fight the battle without it.
    I was on champix for 10 weeks and then I did cut them down. First to 1 a day and as I did start to forget them - I did stop taking them.
    The restless sleep is now gone (after being off champix for 4 weeks). It will take awhile for the body to adjust again. What is more worrying in your case is the pains in her legs. This should be talked over with her GP! Maybe she/he has a solution for this problem. There she can also ask, if it is advisable to finish the course.
    Hope this helps! I am not a GP, but this is what I would do in her situation!:)

• Advertisement

Thanks connewitz - the pain in her legs isn't so much that she would need a GP; it's more like the ache you get when you're really tired.

She's doing really well on the tablets, and some days she nearly forgets to take them. I think it's getting close to a point where she can start to cut down or think about stopping.

Thanks connewitz - the pain in her legs isn't so much that she would need a GP; it's more like the ache you get when you're really tired.

She's doing really well on the tablets, and some days she nearly forgets to take them. I think it's getting close to a point where she can start to cut down or think about stopping.

If she starts to forget them, then she is ready to cut down. Her cravings are gone. Thats why she is no more thinking about the tablets. Maybe she will feel a little bit better with half the dosage!:)
    And the snappy bit - just sit it out! It will go away!:D

I'm happy to sit it out - she's doing really well, and I'm very proud of her.

And you are very supportive!!! That is worth a lot when someone is fighting their demons! Way to go for your other half but she will make it. I am sure of it!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Supporting your better half is the best thing you can do. There will be moods, sometimes pretty bad. Don't take it personally. The addiction can be strong in some.

I got leg aches too. It passes. If it gets worse, then maybe get it checked out.
    The leg ache p!$$ed me off more than anything else, as it was hard to sleep. I'm not exactly sure of when as it was over a year ago, but it passed for me after a week or three.

14 months and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

Hi all,

I am 5 month off them, it certainly gets a little easier but I am no way near forgetting that I ever smoked. I think about them at least every hour and the last few weeks I seem to be getting pangs back but mentally I am prepared to never smoke again. I think starting to exercise is the only way to feel the benefits of not smoking and to make me feel like it is doing some good.

Well done to everyone who has quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

It's been a while since I've checked in! It looks as though you're all doing splendidly!! Kudos to you all and keep up the great work. Just a word to Matches, you will always think of "them". Just try to think of them in a negative way! I've been clean now for a year and 8 months and the thought of ever going back to smoking is a total turnoff! I would never put myself through that again. Just keep up the great work!;)

RangeR wrote: »
    Supporting your better half is the best thing you can do. There will be moods, sometimes pretty bad. Don't take it personally. The addiction can be strong in some.

I got leg aches too. It passes. If it gets worse, then maybe get it checked out.
    The leg ache p!$$ed me off more than anything else, as it was hard to sleep. I'm not exactly sure of when as it was over a year ago, but it passed for me after a week or three.

14 months and counting.

Hi RangeR! What a surprise! Thanks as always for your support. You are doing pretty well.:D Have you heard anything from DonnieL?
    I am now nearly 4 months off. And it is getting easier!
    Did you put on weight?
    It seems to me, that I have to stay longer and longer on the cross trainer to keep the weight off. I started to do gymnastic as well and go in the evenings for a power walk in the woods. I am not sure,if I put on muscle or gain weight.:o:confused:

DonnieL wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've checked in! It looks as though you're all doing splendidly!! Kudos to you all and keep up the great work. Just a word to Matches, you will always think of "them". Just try to think of them in a negative way! I've been clean now for a year and 8 months and the thought of ever going back to smoking is a total turnoff! I would never put myself through that again. Just keep up the great work!;)

Was just asking for you! And then I read your post!:D
    How are you doing? It seems that you are still going strong. Love it!!!:)
    Are you still doing your workout? I have to go the extra mile now as well. Like you mentioned a long time ago - the taste buds are winning.:o
    I did never liked sweets and now I do crave them. Will this go away? What are you doing to keep your appetite at bay?
    At the moment I am sooo sick of fruit and veg.:o I do know that I should keep eating healthy but I can`t see it anymore. Hope this will pass and I can enjoy food again.;)
    Would love to hear from you again.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

connewitz wrote: »
    Hi RangeR! What a surprise! Thanks as always for your support. You are doing pretty well.:D Have you heard anything from DonnieL?
    I am now nearly 4 months off. And it is getting easier!
    Did you put on weight?
    It seems to me, that I have to stay longer and longer on the cross trainer to keep the weight off. I started to do gymnastic as well and go in the evenings for a power walk in the woods. I am not sure,if I put on muscle or gain weight.:o:confused:

Ha yeah. Put on 2 stone over the year. My better half put on about 1 stone. Doesn't bother me that much. I'm much more enjoying food now. It's leveled off at 2 stone, although I'm only about 1 stone over weight now.

I'm content.

Advertisement