Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Well done buttons.

Day 8 (quit day) for me tomorrow. Have 1 cig left and was going to buy another pack to keep me going till the morning:confused:but just decided no - I am fed up of smoking so really ready to quit now.

Has anyone stopped taking the tablets after the 1st month or do you have to say on them for 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mrshappy wrote: »
    Well done buttons.

Day 8 (quit day) for me tomorrow. Have 1 cig left and was going to buy another pack to keep me going till the morning:confused:but just decided no - I am fed up of smoking so really ready to quit now.

Has anyone stopped taking the tablets after the 1st month or do you have to say on them for 3 months?

It's different for everyone. I wouldn't just stop after a month because you do't want to pay for another month or two. You will know when you are ready to stop when you have forgotten to take any tabs for a few days with no cravings. For me, this was about 6 to 8 weeks, I think. Had loads of tabs left over.

RangeR - I suppose the reason was not having to buy another course but I suppose what's another €100 when I have spent 1000's on cigs. Doing good of them so far fingers crossed

I suppose the reason was not having to buy another course

Yes, EVERYONE goes through that thought and I knew that's what you meant. Better to have extra tabs than not enough and stress yourself out when you might not be ready. You are at a very difficult time. You may not realise it but you don't want anything to push you over the edge. You may spend €100 on extra tabs but how much will it cost you if you go back on the cigs.

Be under no illusion, the want for a smoke does not go away. I'm a year and a half dry and I STILL want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Hi Guys

Mrs S how is it going?

Well I have had a stresser of a day, in short my mams car was stolen, I seen the guy, had to go the id him in the station this afternoon! Car is still gone!

Every Cloud has a silver lining

NO FAGS, Day 6 and managed not to smoke, I am so proud of myself, I would have sold my mother today for a fag, but didn't.

GO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

So if I can do it anybody can, even the Champix aren't that good lol.

Mrs S, it looks like its only you and me, its day 2 for you right, well I hope it worked, I had day 11 but didn't stop till day 14.

Talk soon & Take care

Buttons

• Advertisement

Well done - are you seeing any health benefits yet

Didn't quit like I planned on day 8 (had 2) but quit day 9 (yesterday) and so far so good. Don't physically crave them but am thinking about them. Like when I got into the car the first thing I do is light up so found that hard - 3 smokers called to see me today at different times and was trilled when they left and realised that I hadn't had one.

Having crazy dreams though - anyone watching BB - I dreamt Preston dumped me at the altar and it was so real - I could write a book on it, the dream was so detailed - weird

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi, Just checking in and after reading some of your posts all I can say is listen to RangeR and Connewitz. Try and stay with the program as directed in the instructions. This is prescription medication and you should consult your physician prior to making any changes in your dosages.
    Smoking is, as we all know, a serious addiction and takes serious action to kick it. As RangeR says the thought of Cigs may always be there but try and keep those thougts negative.
    I've been off them a year and 9 months now. And just last night I had a dream where a friend said: "I thought you quit smoking!" I said: "I did"! He pointed to my hand and there I was holding a half smoked cigarette that I
    unconsciously had lit and had been smoking. I was so relieved to wake up and realize it was a dream. So, botom line is DON'T GET DISCOURAGED..;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mumto4girls

Hi all, i'm new to this site, but i've been looking online for somewhere to chat about using champix because i dont know anyone who has even tried it before.
    Ok, my story is i have been smoking since i was 12, so over half my life, and over the last year have really started to think seriously about giving up smoking. I have tried nicotine patches, inhalers, mints and this is my only option left. I am now on day 6 of Champix and am hoping to quit on wednesday.
    I was heartened to read that others had felt they increased their intake of smokes because i feel i certainly have - its almost like my head is wanting more of them now in the knowledge they'll be gone soon !?!
    I will say though that the taste of the smoke is vile, and the smell is starting to be more noticeable than before - again im not sure if this is all in my head though :)
    I have become very weepy since yesterday and i hope this is just a passing thing but my kids and hubby are being supportive - for now:D
    Anyway good luck to everyone else doin this and well done to those who have done it and succeeded - you are all inspiring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

DonnieL wrote: »
    Try and stay with the program as directed in the instructions. This is prescription medication and you should consult your physician prior to making any changes in your dosages.

Hi Fellow Quitters

I agree with Donnie, as I changed my dose for the last 5 days and haven't taken my evening tab, however I am waking up at 3 am and not getting back to sleep for at least 2 hours.

I was with the Doctor this morning for a check-up and she explained it a 24 hour programme, so that's why I am not sleeping.

No side effects for me, the couple of early ones have settled and I am so pleased with myself for not even looking for a fag that I am easily being lead into a sense of false security, so I have decided with my doctor this morning to take the second month.

To Mumto4girls, try to stick with it, if the weepness keeps up into your 15th day then I would go back and see the doctor, but your system needs time to adjust to the medication.

Any support need pop on here, I check in most days :)

Day 11 of being a NON SMOKER :D:D:D

Take Care

Buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi all,
    Nearly have got to the year mark, 28th of this month without a smoke:D
    Didn't think i would do it but the champix helped and getting support from people like Donniel and RangeR. Thanks again.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

TerenC! What great News!! Doesn't it feel great being a none smoker!! I still visit the tobacco shop where I used to buy my smokes. Even they congratulated me!;)
    Keep up the great work!! You know you've beaten it now!! :DBTW, thanks for the Compliment but YOU did it!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

I am so happy, that this thread is still running and so many new people joined in and did the thing they could never imagine - STOP SMOKING!!!!!!:D
    Just finished month 5 and tomorrow I will enter the 6th month as a non-smoker.
    So far I have to say, that taking champix was the best decision I ever made. Thanks to Pfitzer and Co. I am off this dirty habit!:) But guys, I would like to thank all of you, because you were my back bone during times, when I was craving for a cig. Just reading the posts gave me the willpower to go on.
    I do wish all of you the very best and stick to your guns. You can do it!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

I have to agree with Connie on this that reading these posts do help - a LOT. I am now entering month 3, am stressed at all the college work which I have to do, but am thrilled with myself from keeping away from the cigs.

Well done to all of us - keep up the good work:D

Delighted to hear you are still not smoking! Have you got some new treats for yourself?
    Good luck with the college!:)
    Let hear from you now and then!

Off them since 11th and feeling I reall cracked it this time. Still on tablets - reduced down to one a day and really don't feel I want to take the 2nd month. Anyone stop after one month on them and feel okay?

But be very careful! Champix is a powerful drug which plays the mind, so what you experience now is only a result of the tablet.
    Take the course if you can for at least 2,5 months. If you are still okay, then you can ween yourself off, one a day, one every second day and so on.
    Do not stop too soon. Many tried it before you and failed!

Hi there, can't believe that I am still of them. I stopped the champix after about 5 weeks (cause I hate taking tablets) but I do find at times that I am struggling. I know I came off them much too early but I don't ever want to smoke again and the fact that my 3 young kids are telling me that I'm going to die, also helps.

Connie, no I have'nt bought any more nice stuff for me. I don't have the time to think about me anymore - all study. Its great though, I find that I have much more time on my hands now without having to go out for a smoke or two. Here is the link to the boots which I got myself

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/dr-martens-diva-darcie-heeled-boots/734629926.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f1665%2c4294958732%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0&trail=1589-1665-4294958732&prdToken=/p/prod3850194-sku5594236#productReviews

So comfy - I love them

Will keep in touch.....:D

I nearly fell off the chair as I saw the boots! My daughter got the same ones in red (she bought them in Germany).
    She loves Doc Martens. I am more a lover of the Hush Puppies.
    Your kids are a very good reason to stay off the fags! Now, since I stopped smoking, I got very aware of how awful it smells.:eek: It is not fair to anyone to have to smell it or worst, breathe it in. Never smoked around kids, so please do listen to your little ones!:D
    Would love to stay in touch. This board is soooooo good for me!:)

That's a damn fine pair of boots :)

Thanks guys. I'd say they'd be fab in red alright. I used to have a pair of docs that were all different colours years ago - very comfy too.

I will stay off the cigs cause as ye say the smell of them off another person who has been smoking is disgusting. I never actually realised how bad it was. But even looking at a person who is smoking - I think looks terrible. Another plus for me was that my teeth have whitened up a lot in the last couple of months. :D

So Connie, are you getting closer to having enough for your holidays? Where are you planning on going to anyways?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

Iv just started chapix today. After reading so many horrible stories from people who took it, I was delighted to find this forum which comes across in a more positive way.
    I'm 50 and smoke 40 a day so I've no choice really!
    Hope it works for me this time

Forgot to take table for last two days - only remember today as I thought about a fag - passing urge thankfully but wondering now that i haven't had a tablet for 2 days will I stop altogether or finish out the pack - any suggestions?

Paula60 wrote: »
    Iv just started chapix today. After reading so many horrible stories from people who took it, I was delighted to find this forum which comes across in a more positive way.
    I'm 50 and smoke 40 a day so I've no choice really!
    Hope it works for me this time

Welcome and good luck. If you stick to the plan, you will not regret it. Keep us updated every day or two. It DOES help a lot.

Forgot to take table for last two days - only remember today as I thought about a fag - passing urge thankfully but wondering now that i haven't had a tablet for 2 days will I stop altogether or finish out the pack - any suggestions?

The drug would still be in your system to some degree. If you are experiencing anxiety while thinking about cigs, then you may not be ready to stop. When was your lat smoke? If it was within the past couple of days or week or two, you are not over your nicotine addiction and still in withdrawal. If it's many weeks or months ago, then it's all in your head. The mind is not to be underestimated, tough. It can be a powerful overlord.

In short, you will know when you are ready to give up the tabs. You will just know. However, the few days after you stop taking the tabs is a HUGE step. You won't realise that until the following week where you will feel exhilarated that you are not relying on anything and STILL not smoking :)

Actually, I had a sort of an epiphany yesterday. My girlfriend [I HATE that term but if I use partner people think I'm gay] works in the same company as myself. She needed to take my car yesterday so we swapped. I took her car keys out of her bag and gave her mine. She left at 2pm as she only works half day.....

Roll on 5:30pm. I finish up my work, I'm the last in the building so I lock up and set the alarm. I go outside and lock the door behind me. Bang, I have the wrong car keys. I'm FURIOUS and I know there is nothing I can do. I can't call anyone for a lift. Girlfriend is getting an early night as she is very sick. I'm stuck in Clondalkin [Park West] and need to get home to Naas. I was NOT a happy camper.

After about 10 minutes of taking it out on the wall, I walk briskly for about 20 minutes around to the Dutch Village [if you know the area]. A 51B bus came so I jumped on and took that to the Ibis hotel around on the N7 / Red Cow interchange. I then briskly walked another 20 minutes up towards Newlands Cross and waited for the Naas bus to come along.

I only realised around the time that I reached Newlands Cross that after nearly an hour of brisk walking, I was not out of breath. If this was a year ago, I wouldn't have made it. It was amazing and I never realised it before [being a driver and not walking anywhere :)]. Don't get me wrong, my heart was racing, but I could breath slowly and calmly.

Anyway, there's my story. Over the many pages previously, I've always said that I didn't notice any health benefits. That's just because I never pushed myself. I did last night, and it showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in ages!! I started taking Champix on 26/9/2009 and smoked my last fag on 05/10/2009, so next Tuesday is my 1st anniversary off them stupid toxic bas#@rds :D

My health benefits are: I no longer have to go to the dentist with terrible toothache every couple of months, my joints don't ache anymore, I sleep better, I can taste food much better, my feet and hands dont get cold anymore, I no longer have a crackling cough, I don't smell of stale smoke & the very, very best thing of all is that I am way more confident and brave than I was as a smoker!

Since I quit I did a digital camera course, did a level one course with the Open University, landscaped my garden (by myself :)), moved out of my house and rented it out and moved back home until I can figure out what move I want to make next :) ... I was concentrating on my course until now, but that's just finishing so next on the agenda is 'bye bye ****ty job...hello..... I dunno, anything different!'

Keep up the good work all.... it is SO WORTH IT!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

mwrf wrote: »
    Just checking in, I'm on day 14 of champix now and 59 hours without a cigarette. :) Champix makes this so easy,sure I get some cravings now and again but they are very mild,pop a sweet in my mouth and they're gone in a few minutes.

I can't recommend champix enough. If anyone is having second thoughts or experiencing horrible side effects, please stick with it. Champix is the easiest way you are going to be able to quit.

Side Effects affecting me are mainly the dreams, which I see as a positive side effect! I've met old friends, done things I never thought I'd do and seen places I never thought I'd see. I'd almost say I look forward to going asleep so that I can have a dream.

I did have trouble sleeping initially,but looking back, I think it may have been the fear of bad dreams rather than the champix itself. I did have a little emotional moment also, Reading a newspaper article, I got a lump in my throat and my eyes welled up (It wasn't a particularly touching piece). Funny when I think about it.

The side effects definitely peaked around day 6-9, When the dosage doubles. My thought process was definitely altered, I'd drift off daydreaming of abnormal things. The side effects are completely manageable and more than a fair trade to have to face cold turkey nicotine nicotine withdrawl. Give me champix anyday.

I know It's only early,but I cannot see myself going back. I am already feeling free. I have stopped I have a sore throat and there is phlegm coming up from my lungs like a tap. These only serve as a reminder of the foolish damage I was doing to my body and are a welcome part of the healing process.

You can follow my progress on twitter : http://www.twitter.com/mwrf
    Good luck to anyone on champix at the moment and If you have never tried it or are nervous, Go see your doctor. It works.

Just a little update on myself.

Firstly, I have now stopped smoking for 3 months, 2 weeks, 4 days.
    That's 1,317 cigarettes NOT smoked,saving €560 !

I have no urge to smoke now really, none. Horrible things. I feel great, and will never go back. I have had countless opportunities to smoke, in pub environments etc. and have not needed or wanted a cigarette. I can breath easier now, and I seem to be enjoying my free time a lot more without cigs. No worrying about having a box beside me at all times.
    I am 100% a non-smoker in my mind.

Well done to everyone else who is still off them.
    People just going onto champix now, don't be scared, this will be the best thing you ever do in your life.

Still smoking(roll ups) but not as much. Feel no side effects yet just my mouth a little dry.

still smoking but don't have the same urge. When into town today and didn't bring my cigs - that's a complete no, no for me.
    Decided to avail of the smoking cessation program run my the health board too. The more support the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

be very very careful with the champix. The first month on them is a breeze - hardly any side effects. its when you are on them for 7 or 8 weeks that the real side effects kick in - its a build up of the tablets and it is quite scary. I went from thinking they were brilliant to thinking they were the devil incarnate within a week - I had to go off them for fear of hurting myself or others. Just be extremely careful.

I am still off the smoking and am grateful for that.

Advertisement