Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

This is my third day and I don't have the same urgent need to light up. No side effects yet and hope if they do come I can handle it. I really want to quite this time.

Still smoking and taking the tab. Will be taking two today - definately not the same smoking no strong urge or don't get the same kick. I think I'm just smoking now out of habit; but maybe that was the reason I always smoked.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 winster

Hi

I'm on day 12 of taking the tablets and still no change in my smoking habits. Supposed to be quitting on Monday but don't really feel I'm ready. Don't think the champix is doing anything for me except making me feel sick - have no appetite and am really really tired all the time. Anyone else take this long for the tablets to take effect?

Winster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

winster wrote: »
    Hi

I'm on day 12 of taking the tablets and still no change in my smoking habits. Supposed to be quitting on Monday but don't really feel I'm ready. Don't think the champix is doing anything for me except making me feel sick - have no appetite and am really really tired all the time. Anyone else take this long for the tablets to take effect?

Winster

If you don't feel that you are ready, then wait a few days. If you still don't feel that you are ready [I didn't] then don't just quit, but cut down as much as you can. I cut down from 20 to 4 over night. Those 4 smokes each day over a week or two REALLY helped me get the courage to fully quit. I smoked one on the way to work and nothing until I got home at 6pm. Then relaxes with 2 or 3 more after dinner.

The trick I used was, even though I didn't allow me to smoke during work, I always kept a packet of cigs in the car. They were far away enough not to be a temptation but close enough so I could have one if I REALLY felt I needed one.

Trick your mind, but do it right.

I'm still smoking but not as much. Will wait for day 10 to give up. Starting from tomorrow Im going to have a smoke free house so when I want a smoke I will have to go out - making it less attractive. I think we have play our part in this too. Sickish stomach today - like heart-burn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vicatron

hi im on day3 of the champix and still smoking but definitely cut down...my question is tho im finding that im very itchy!!all over...body legs arms face just itching everywhere!!is this a side effect or am i just having an itchy day!!

I feel today my stomach is burning for some reason. Something like heart burn. My urge to smoke is down. I'm going to keep going anyway not I've started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Paula60 wrote: »
    I feel today my stomach is burning for some reason. Something like heart burn. My urge to smoke is down. I'm going to keep going anyway not I've started.

If you start getting side affects that causing you a lot of discomfort, you MAY want to consult your doctor. Better safe than dead... :)

Not too much discomfort - so eager to do it this time. Probably from what I'm reading will only take the tablets for the first month and if I'm offer cigs for at least 15 days that will do it. Will use willpower to do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

Hi all, am on day 10 on Champix and today is second full day smoke free - definately not the same cravings as going cold turkey so keeping my fingers crossed it works this time - have smoked for over 20 years and would smoke 20 a day (sometimes more if out in the pub!!!!) no side affects yet so hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones.

Congratulations to all who have stopped smoking and thank you for continuing to write on this thread have been reading through it for the last week as I was getting nearer my quit date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

macker, just beware of the signals for the side effect. I too thought it was simple on the champix. The side effects are minimal UNTIL they build up in your system sometime in the second month - then it becomes quite scary.

macker, just beware of the signals for the side effect. I too thought it was simple on the champix. The side effects are minimal UNTIL they build up in your system sometime in the second month - then it becomes quite scary.

will do dolphin thanks - have read the posts and agree some of them seem scary alright. still early days yet and hopefully I will be strong enough to continue.

Smoked 50 cigs a day. Though I smoked for 30 years I certainly didn't smoke 50 for 30 years. I really feel I can do it this time. I have more reasons than one to give up now. My sister who is 6 years older than me has the last stages of lung cancer. What can I say. I have never felt so scared in my life. I have to do it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi All,

I am so happy to say that I quit smoking ONE YEAR AGO TODAY :D

I can remember finding this thread just over a year ago and was sooo jealous of other people posting that they were off the fags 2 weeks, 2 months, a year! I just could not imagine myself ever saying that! But here I am singing it in my pyjamas :D!!!

I wish everyone the very best of luck with quitting. Remember, once the nicotine has left your body (approx 3 weeks) the only reason you THINK you want a smoke is cos your old 'addiction monster' will live on in your brain for quite a while after you've given up....don't worry, the monster eventually starves to death and leaves you alone :D

(my styled my 'addiction monster' on Gollum from Lord of the Rings...anytime I thought of a fag, I imaged his rubbing his greasy hands together and rasping 'precious'...it does work!! :eek::D)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

mumzboyz wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I'd say they'd be fab in red alright. I used to have a pair of docs that were all different colours years ago - very comfy too.

I will stay off the cigs cause as ye say the smell of them off another person who has been smoking is disgusting. I never actually realised how bad it was. But even looking at a person who is smoking - I think looks terrible. Another plus for me was that my teeth have whitened up a lot in the last couple of months. :D

So Connie, are you getting closer to having enough for your holidays? Where are you planning on going to anyways?

Sorry for not answering for so long, but I had a lot on my plate!
    I went to many job interviews and did not land one job, which left me feeling really ****ty! And then my daughter came along and told me that she had decided to move to Austria! She was living in Cork and I did not see much of her, because she worked over the weekends. Now she and her boyfriend (he is Austrian) got a opportunity in Austria to work for his father. I know she is old enough (25) and I can not hold her but it hurts!
    So now we have to make a decision - will we go and enjoy the sunshine or will we go over the Christmas holidays to Austria.
    At the moment we don`t really know. We have the money for one holiday together but not for 2.
    We wanted to fly somewhere nice and warm in December. Now it is like, okay when we make a sun holiday we can`t go to Austria. But when we go to Austria we can`t make a sun holiday.
    It`s tricky! If it would be only me, I would go to Austria. But my partner hates winter and snow! :eek::mad:
    We will find a solution. By the way, all this stress and I had not once a craving for a cig! We are sooooooooo good!:D We just have to hang in there! Sorry again for the long waiting! Hope to hear from you soon.:)

RangeR wrote: »
    Actually, I had a sort of an epiphany yesterday. My girlfriend [I HATE that term but if I use partner people think I'm gay] works in the same company as myself. She needed to take my car yesterday so we swapped. I took her car keys out of her bag and gave her mine. She left at 2pm as she only works half day.....

Roll on 5:30pm. I finish up my work, I'm the last in the building so I lock up and set the alarm. I go outside and lock the door behind me. Bang, I have the wrong car keys. I'm FURIOUS and I know there is nothing I can do. I can't call anyone for a lift. Girlfriend is getting an early night as she is very sick. I'm stuck in Clondalkin [Park West] and need to get home to Naas. I was NOT a happy camper.

After about 10 minutes of taking it out on the wall, I walk briskly for about 20 minutes around to the Dutch Village [if you know the area]. A 51B bus came so I jumped on and took that to the Ibis hotel around on the N7 / Red Cow interchange. I then briskly walked another 20 minutes up towards Newlands Cross and waited for the Naas bus to come along.

I only realised around the time that I reached Newlands Cross that after nearly an hour of brisk walking, I was not out of breath. If this was a year ago, I wouldn't have made it. It was amazing and I never realised it before [being a driver and not walking anywhere :)]. Don't get me wrong, my heart was racing, but I could breath slowly and calmly.

Anyway, there's my story. Over the many pages previously, I've always said that I didn't notice any health benefits. That's just because I never pushed myself. I did last night, and it showed.

Nice job, RangeR!
    Not only the walking is impressive, but that you in your "madness" had no craving to calm your nerves with a smoke! Congrats!!!!!
    Maybe you are starting to enjoy exercising!:P

hellodolly wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I haven't posted in ages!! I started taking Champix on 26/9/2009 and smoked my last fag on 05/10/2009, so next Tuesday is my 1st anniversary off them stupid toxic bas#@rds :D

My health benefits are: I no longer have to go to the dentist with terrible toothache every couple of months, my joints don't ache anymore, I sleep better, I can taste food much better, my feet and hands dont get cold anymore, I no longer have a crackling cough, I don't smell of stale smoke & the very, very best thing of all is that I am way more confident and brave than I was as a smoker!

Since I quit I did a digital camera course, did a level one course with the Open University, landscaped my garden (by myself :)), moved out of my house and rented it out and moved back home until I can figure out what move I want to make next :) ... I was concentrating on my course until now, but that's just finishing so next on the agenda is 'bye bye ****ty job...hello..... I dunno, anything different!'

Keep up the good work all.... it is SO WORTH IT!!!!!! :D

You did very well! It is so nice to see, how people change after they quit smoking. I am more confident myself and far more fit than I was in ages!
    The best thing is my skin. It was always covert in a gray film, now it is radiant and that will mean something in my age!
    No looking back!:)

Hi

Winster

Take your time. There are people on this board who smoked for 3 weeks with champix. Like RangeR said, try to cut down instead of forcing yourself to quit. The tiredness will stay with you for a while. I was tired for at least 4 weeks. But all the side effects will wear off (gradually). Just hang in there and good luck!:D

Hi All,

I can remember finding this thread just over a year ago and was sooo jealous of other people posting that they were off the fags 2 weeks, 2 months, a year! I just could not imagine myself ever saying that! But here I am singing it in my pyjamas :D!!!

I wish everyone the very best of luck with quitting. Remember, once the nicotine has left your body (approx 3 weeks) the only reason you THINK you want a smoke is cos your old 'addiction monster' will live on in your brain for quite a while after you've given up....don't worry, the monster eventually starves to death and leaves you alone :D

(my styled my 'addiction monster' on Gollum from Lord of the Rings...anytime I thought of a fag, I imaged his rubbing his greasy hands together and rasping 'precious'...it does work!! :eek::D)

Congratulations dolly well done am using this thread as a motivation to myself - it is great to read so many success stories - am day 3 smoke free today and am really determined to give up this time - I am trying to prepare myself for the hard days that come but am just taking one day at a time even in the three days I have not smoked I have already save myself €26 !!!!! Congrats again to you

Macker91 wrote: »
    will do dolphin thanks - have read the posts and agree some of them seem scary alright. still early days yet and hopefully I will be strong enough to continue.

Hi Macker91! I stopped smoking after 9 days with champix on April 25th and I am still a non-smoker. Had light side effects like sleeping disorders, tiredness, dizziness and a hard time to concentrate. All off them were gone after 6 weeks only the weird dreams kept going on. I did cut back on the tablets in my last month. From 2 to one a day and then, as I started to forget to take them, I stopped completely. Never looked back! Feel so good and it is a benefit for everyone around me! Try to stick it out. Reading this thread it helpful and it kept me going when I had a hard time. Good luck!:D

• Advertisement

Smoked 50 cigs a day. Though I smoked for 30 years I certainly didn't smoke 50 for 30 years. I really feel I can do it this time. I have more reasons than one to give up now. My sister who is 6 years older than me has the last stages of lung cancer. What can I say. I have never felt so scared in my life. I have to do it this time.

I stopped for the same reason. After over 35 years as a smoker! My friend had an operation on his lung. Thankfully he is fine. Still recovering but alive!
    So keep going and my thoughts are with you!

Hi All,

And very well described (the monster)! I am near my 6 months and very proud of myself! You done it - I can do it - and so can everyone! Thanks for the post and it would be nice if you pop in now and then!:D

connewitz wrote: »
    Hi Macker91! I stopped smoking after 9 days with champix on April 25th and I am still a non-smoker. Had light side effects like sleeping disorders, tiredness, dizziness and a hard time to concentrate. All off them were gone after 6 weeks only the weird dreams kept going on. I did cut back on the tablets in my last month. From 2 to one a day and then, as I started to forget to take them, I stopped completely. Never looked back! Feel so good and it is a benefit for everyone around me! Try to stick it out. Reading this thread it helpful and it kept me going when I had a hard time. Good luck!:D

Thanks Connie have read the thread and nearly feels as if I know a few of you already as you have kept coming back and posting which is nice to see and also nice to know the achievement you have all done - I have not had any weird dreams yet but am sure I will !!! will definately keep logging into this post daily to keep on track as I feel the more of us together the easier it might be

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

Hi Connie,
    Hang in there about the job. I'm a firm believer in if its meant to be then it will be. There is something better planned for you out there.
    I just googled ryan*ir and you can fly from Stanstead to Linz in Austria for about 24 euros. I'm sure you'll be able to get a cheap flight to Stanstead also. So Austria is doable for a long weekend maybe. It would have been worse if it was Australia your daughter was going to, at least Austria is only a few hours flight time away & much cheaper to get to. So you still should be able to have the sun holiday you & your partner deserve.
    Chat soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 winster

connewitz wrote: »
    Take your time. There are people on this board who smoked for 3 weeks with champix. Like RangeR said, try to cut down instead of forcing yourself to quit. The tiredness will stay with you for a while. I was tired for at least 4 weeks. But all the side effects will wear off (gradually). Just hang in there and good luck!:D
    Thanks Connewitz for the reply. Have cut down a bit in the last few days and definately not as sick as I was. Will stick with it - will be worth it. Well done for quitting.

Macker91 wrote: »
    Thanks Connie have read the thread and nearly feels as if I know a few of you already as you have kept coming back and posting which is nice to see and also nice to know the achievement you have all done - I have not had any weird dreams yet but am sure I will !!! will definately keep logging into this post daily to keep on track as I feel the more of us together the easier it might be

Hi Macker91! We are like a little community here and it all started a good while ago! Many of the people are non-smokers by now. :D I do have this weird feeling of knowing some people on this thread as well. But it is a very nice feeling. Keep us posted.;)

Thanks Connewitz for the reply. Have cut down a bit in the last few days and definately not as sick as I was. Will stick with it - will be worth it. Well done for quitting.

Hi Winster! Stick around with us and you will be a non-smoker as well. It is like going to a "Stop smoking group" only, you don`t have to leave the house and it cost you nothing. What more can you wish for?:P

mumzboyz wrote: »
    Hi Connie,
    Hang in there about the job. I'm a firm believer in if its meant to be then it will be. There is something better planned for you out there.
    I just googled ryan*ir and you can fly from Stanstead to Linz in Austria for about 24 euros. I'm sure you'll be able to get a cheap flight to Stanstead also. So Austria is doable for a long weekend maybe. It would have been worse if it was Australia your daughter was going to, at least Austria is only a few hours flight time away & much cheaper to get to. So you still should be able to have the sun holiday you & your partner deserve.
    Chat soon:)

Thanks for the support! It is a very difficult time for everyone at the moment and I do feel my age now even more. So many young people are unemployed - my chances are dwindling. But I will not give up.
    My daughter will live near Innsbruck. We would have to fly to Munich and then they would pick us up. It is not so expansive, you are right! Was just the shock (I think), because it sounds so far away. I moved to Ireland 8 years ago and so far I only managed 2 trips back to Germany! That`s why I was not impressed with her move! But maybe we will do some weekend trips. That is a good idea! I give you a big hug! Needed a little support!:)

Just had one cig today. Great! Just dont feel the need for one. No real side affects yet - stomach a little upset but am able to handle it.

• Advertisement

Just had one cig today. Great! Just dont feel the need for one. No real side affects yet - stomach a little upset but am able to handle it.

Hi Paula!
    You are getting there! Maybe your tummy is upset because you get more blood and oxygen through the lining of your stomach. (When you smoke this is very much reduced.) This can feel like heart burn. You can calm it down with plain yogurt.:) If this does not help try banana. And start to eat more grain to keep your tummy working!
    Good luck!:D

Advertisement