Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

I will eat a banana or something. Small price to pay if this tablet finally helps me.

Still not smoking. No real effects from tablets. But have a few withdrawal pangs. But I suppose thats to be expected after a 30 year smoking habit. Already I'm breathing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I'm just over 7 months off them:D Still have days where I could smoke 40 all at once....Still have days where I'll purposely stand next to someone smoking, just so I can smell them.....but, I haven't smoked:cool:

Unfortunately I still love them smell, feel and taste of them lol

I took the champix for about 3 weeks but it was intensifying my cravings so I chucked it in the bin and went cold turkey:eek:

I'm with you Lucy. Still off cigarettes but have stopped taking the champix. Started to get very depressed. Giving up smoking is a depressing thing to do so I'm not saying my depression is directly due to the champix. Today I have self medicated. I went down to the local pub and just drank. Thankfully I didn't want a cig at any stage. I'm never going to smoke again - but its hard giving up!!

Started to get a bit confused yesterday especially while driving. Also a burning feeling on my neck and arms. I'm off cigs a few days now so I feel I'll go the rest cold turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Paula60 wrote: »
    Started to get a bit confused yesterday especially while driving. Also a burning feeling on my neck and arms. I'm off cigs a few days now so I feel I'll go the rest cold turkey.

You can try it and I do hope, you will not fall back in your old habit. Have you ever tried cold turkey before? It is very hard and many people go back on the smokes. I wish you good luck!

I've never gone cold turkey before. I am completely off cigs since tuesday/wednesday. I feel most of the nicotine has left my system. Haven't took tablet since Saturday and I feel ok. No real bad longings.
    Will keep you informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Smoke free now for 12 days.....Day 22 on Champix. I still have cravings every now and then but nothing I can't handle. No side effects whatsoever that wasn't attributed to my body kicking my ass for not giving it nicotine. I think it's a miracle drug. After a week I was only smoking out of habit and getting no satisfaction from them at all - it was weird. I was still smoking but was feeling withdrawl symptoms so on day ten I woke up and said "frig it - If I'm gonna feel withdrawl symptoms I might as well have a reason for it." To anyone thinking of quitting get the pills and stay on them - I'm betting you quit despite your best efforts to keep smoking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I've never gone cold turkey before. I am completely off cigs since tuesday/wednesday. I feel most of the nicotine has left my system. Haven't took tablet since Saturday and I feel ok. No real bad longings.
    Will keep you informed.

Over the next week or two, if you feel the urge to smoke and you just KNOW your are going to cave into it. Take a Champix. You won't be getting a full dose as you will have been off it a number of days but it it will help with the immediate cravings.

If in doubt, consult a doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Smoke free now for 12 days.....Day 22 on Champix. I still have cravings every now and then but nothing I can't handle. No side effects whatsoever that wasn't attributed to my body kicking my ass for not giving it nicotine. I think it's a miracle drug. After a week I was only smoking out of habit and getting no satisfaction from them at all - it was weird. I was still smoking but was feeling withdrawl symptoms so on day ten I woke up and said "frig it - If I'm gonna feel withdrawl symptoms I might as well have a reason for it." To anyone thinking of quitting get the pills and stay on them - I'm betting you quit despite your best efforts to keep smoking :)

you probably don't notice the side effects yet - you are only on week three - come back on week 8 - 9 and let us know what your side effects are after the pills have lodged into your system- it would be interesting to know, especially if you have no side effects at at the minute from the pills.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    Over the next week or two, if you feel the urge to smoke and you just KNOW your are going to cave into it. Take a Champix. You won't be getting a full dose as you will have been off it a number of days but it it will help with the immediate cravings.

If in doubt, consult a doc.

Good advice!!!!! How are you doing by the way?

connewitz wrote: »
    Good advice!!!!! How are you doing by the way?

Cheers Connie, I'm doing very well, thanks. Most days / weeks I don't have any urges. Just getting on with a healthier life. The odd time I get the urge to light up but nothing more than an urge. Some times it's tough but we struggle on :)

Piling on the pounds, though :) Well, not that much. I may have put on ab out a stone or so in the past year and half but I have no regrets. It's leveled off at that, regardless what I eat. Looking back, I was under weight at the time anyway.

Much happier. Definitely prefer the extra weight compared to what might have happened with the cigs.

Im still of fags and very determent I going to do it this time. But at least if I do get some terrible urge I'l chance the tabs for a day or two. Feel great - already breathing much better and will have to start cleaning out the car as it stinks for my old, dirty habit. I know I'll do it this time. Going to England to see my sister on the 24th of this month and I know she'll be happy I'm off the fags. She's getting chemo for her cancer but sadly she's still drinking and smoking. Maybe this is how she's handling it.
    Best of luck to all that's still doing it.

RangeR wrote: »
    Cheers Connie, I'm doing very well, thanks. Most days / weeks I don't have any urges. Just getting on with a healthier life. The odd time I get the urge to light up but nothing more than an urge. Some times it's tough but we struggle on :)

Piling on the pounds, though :) Well, not that much. I may have put on ab out a stone or so in the past year and half but I have no regrets. It's leveled off at that, regardless what I eat. Looking back, I was under weight at the time anyway.

Much happier. Definitely prefer the extra weight compared to what might have happened with the cigs.

Sorry for not writing so long, but I was in the hospital since 13.10. Just back since 4 hours and checking my mail. Was very sick but found out, that my heart is strong and healthy (ultrasound and echo) and that my blood is 99-100 percent saturated with oxygen (blood pressure tested daily). This is a very big step in the right direction!
    If you were too skinny, than love the new you even more! And nothing is more important than to be happy in your own skin!:D

Still smoke free. Gave up the champix but stayed of the cigs. Still getting urges to light up, not as bad as the start - but bad enough. When does this stop??

When does this stop??

:) Good one...

Still smoke free. Gave up the champix but stayed of the cigs. Still getting urges to light up, not as bad as the start - but bad enough. When does this stop??

Short answer - NEVER!!! Cravings stay with you for the rest of your life. They will become weaker and not so frequent, but you will never get rid off them. So stay focused and strong!
    I was in hospital and had lots of reasons to smoke with all the stuff going on, but managed to stick to my guns. Now I am 6 months off the fags and there is no way back!!!!! You can do it!:)

Going to see my sister this week which is going to be very stressful as she's dying of lung cancer. She was thrilled I gave up cigs. Got xanax from doctor so will stop any anxiety I might feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I don't think it will stop, but the urge to have one gets weaker or you get stronger the longer you stay off them, sorry about your sister,my brother Pat died from lung cancer last month 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

I'm really glad to see everything is still going strong! Great work TerenC, RangeR, and Connewitz!!
    Well, the last few days I've had problems seeing out of my left eye and found out this morning that I have a detached Retina and have to go into surgery Thursday morning (the 28th) Then on 11-15 have to go in and have an aneurism stent put in.. At least the Doctors are happy with the weight loss and the treadmill work outs every day.
    Keep up the great work!!!!;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

DonnieL wrote: »
    I'm really glad to see everything is still going strong! Great work TerenC, RangeR, and Connewitz!!
    Well, the last few days I've had problems seeing out of my left eye and found out this morning that I have a detached Retina and have to go into surgery Thursday morning (the 28th) Then on 11-15 have to go in and have an aneurism stent put in.. At least the Doctors are happy with the weight loss and the treadmill work outs every day.

are these side effects from Champix? it sounds terrible. :(

are these side effects from Champix? it sounds terrible. :(

This is never a side effect! What has the retina of your eye to do with champix? Donnie is over 70 years old - thats why!

Love to hear from you again! I am sorry about your troubles. Keep my fingers and toes crossed and hope, everything will be alright! I was in hospital too. Had a lot of tests done. So far they found a brain and a heart.:D But I do not have any results. (I fainted and had memory loss.And then got terrible headache for days.) Is not related to the champix! Have to wait until all results are in (CT, MRI,X-Ray and so on). The doc thinks that it comes from my neck (wear and tear) or from a clogged up artery. I just have to have patience.
    I do wish you the very best and I am so glad that you never ever started smoking again. You are a great example!
    I myself started month 7 as a non smoker! Cravings still there but to handle. Start with the workout again, but have to take it easy for the moment until my doc knows whats going on in my body.
    Good luck, Donnie! I will think of you!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

Hi all, have not been on site for the last week or so as I had a surprise trip over to America for my Nieces confirmation - am very happy to say that I am now day 25 smoke free - still have cravings the odd time but seem to be able to cope with them and they really only last a few mins -

Side affects seem to have started have been waking up half way through the night and seem to be awake for about two hours so am constantly fighting with the alarm in the morning to get up for work, have only had one weird dream but woke up laughing at how obscure it is.

Hope all is still going well with everyone and Connewitz good luck with the test results hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

#1. Dolphin City, sorry, I should have been a little more clear. No, this is totally unrelated to the smoking cessation. I'm one of the fortunate ones that had no side effects except for a few dreams. These problems are just old age creeping up. Of course smoking for over 50 years didn't help a whole lot! ha!ha! Actually I haven't had a smoke nor a craving for almost 2 years now! :D

#2. Connewitz, have they done any ultrasounds on your cartoid arteries on your neck to check for plaque? I just went through that as a prep for my stent procedure and fortunately mine were normal. Take care of yourself and I'll keep checking in to check.. God Bless!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi Donniel :D
    I ain't into medical stuff but it reads heavy, will say a silent prayer for you on Thursday (will be thinking of you).

#2. Connewitz, have they done any ultrasounds on your cartoid arteries on your neck to check for plaque? I just went through that as a prep for my stent procedure and fortunately mine were normal. Take care of yourself and I'll keep checking in to check.. God Bless!:)

Hi Donnie! When you read this (and I do hope you can read with your left eye as well), than you are on the mend. Hope that everything worked out for you and you are now whole again!;)
    They did check the arteries on the neck with dye (during the MRI). I was for 1 hour and 10 min in the MRI-chamber, so I hope, it was done properly.
    It is just so that you have to wait so long in Ireland for Results and follow up-appointments!
    I was very impressed with all the nurses and docs in the hospital! All quick and straight forward. Because there is a lot going on in our health system and it is not all good! But the moment you are out of the hospital it is back to the waiting game!
    While I am writing this I think of you and wish the very best! You went through a lot already last year! Take care and I hope to hear from you again when you are all new!!!!:D God bless!

Macker91 wrote: »

Side affects seem to have started have been waking up half way through the night and seem to be awake for about two hours so am constantly fighting with the alarm in the morning to get up for work, have only had one weird dream but woke up laughing at how obscure it is.

Good to hear, that you are still off the fags! Hope your trip to the states was a good one. I am impressed that you did not buy any fags in the states. They are so much cheaper than here. Well done!:D
    The disturbed sleep pattern will stay with you for a while. I am still not rid off it (and I am off the champix since July). It is no more every night, but now and than I have trouble to fall asleep again.
    I do know this has also something to do with my age,so I don`t take it too serious.
    Ask your doc if he/she can give you advice, how to improve your sleep. I am unemployed so it does not bother me but when you have to go to work, than it is a real nuisance! Just speak with your doc or maybe someone in your family or one of your friends can help. Just don`t put up too long with it because sleep deprivation is dangerous!
    Good luck and all the best!:)

Great to read your undated posts. Had a great time in England with my sister, but very sad. She has started her chemo now so she is full of hope. She was very happy I was off the fags. Did well, didn't touch one but was very tempted. Still have that empty feeling that's something is missing but it goes away after a while. I found the xanax tabs great but doc not too interested in giving more. Sleep hard too but will start some kind of a bedtime routine - which might help.
    Anyway, keep the faith
    Paula

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Paula60;68774163Still have that empty feeling that's something is missing but it goes away after a while.
    Anyway, keep the faith
    Paula[/QUOTE]

This empty feeling will stay with you for a long time. But you managed good until now and with a lot of pressure! Well done. Just keep on going. You are strong and you can do it!:D

Advertisement