Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

connewitz wrote: »
    Good to hear, that you are still off the fags! Hope your trip to the states was a good one. I am impressed that you did not buy any fags in the states. They are so much cheaper than here. Well done!:D
    The disturbed sleep pattern will stay with you for a while. I am still not rid off it (and I am off the champix since July).

Thanks Connewitz was impressed with myself I didnt buy cigarettes in the states too but I spent the money I would have spent on them on loads of clothes and shoes - and its much more rewarding as I will have them for much longer:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

You can do it. If I can at 50, so can you. Not easy but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Macker91 wrote: »

Thanks Connewitz was impressed with myself I didnt buy cigarettes in the states too but I spent the money I would have spent on them on loads of clothes and shoes - and its much more rewarding as I will have them for much longer:D:D:D:D

Hi Macker! It is amazing, how much money we just burned (literally)! I myself save it for a summer holiday. My partner is on and off work and we are not wealthy. But little by little I save them holidays together.
    There are so many other thing we should do - painting the house, drive way has to get tarmac, I need a new car and so on. But we had no holidays for 6 years and this is what I am saving for. The both of us need them. So maybe you have something you could not do for a long time because the money was missing. Try to save your cig money and reward yourself! It is another reason to stay off the fags!!!:)

Paula60 wrote: »
    You can do it. If I can at 50, so can you. Not easy but possible.

I am in my fifties as well and I do know what you are going through. But take the time and read the posts DonnieL sent in this thread. He is in his mid seventies and stopped smoking! He is my hero!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

hi guys - thanks for explaining. Wasn't sure abut the various side effects. I am off them over three months now and I am delighted - so far I have booked a holiday for myself and my hubby to the States on my savings. Saving for the pocket money now - I can't believe how much I have saved. Don't know if anyone else noticed but when I had to go into a shop everyday to purchase cigarettes I would more than likely grab something else also. Now I find I may not go into a shop for three or four days in a row and so I am saving my smoking money but when I look at my wallet I am also approx 30 euro richer per week in my "regular" spending money also.

I am still having headaches that I never had before taking the champix tho, - hopefully they will subside and I don't feel I am completely back to myself and my own personality yet. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

hi guys - thanks for explaining. Wasn't sure abut the various side effects. I am off them over three months now and I am delighted - so far I have booked a holiday for myself and my hubby to the States on my savings. Saving for the pocket money now - I can't believe how much I have saved. Don't know if anyone else noticed but when I had to go into a shop everyday to purchase cigarettes I would more than likely grab something else also. Now I find I may not go into a shop for three or four days in a row and so I am saving my smoking money but when I look at my wallet I am also approx 30 euro richer per week in my "regular" spending money also.

I am still having headaches that I never had before taking the champix tho, - hopefully they will subside and I don't feel I am completely back to myself and my own personality yet. Time will tell I suppose.

I do love your attitude! You will be a winner by all means! Have patience with the side effects. You should be back to your old self again soon. Good luck!:D

connewitz

thanks so much - your a sweetie.

connewitz

thanks so much - your a sweetie.

"Every little helps" and we need all the help we can get. So keep up the good work and stick to your guns! We can only win!!!!!:D

just wondering has anybody had trouble sleeping after going off the pills - I find I can get away with approx 4 hours sleep per night now and often find myself waking up in the early hours of the morning to read for two or three hours. I have been off the pills for some time now - I have gone to my doctor recently but he doens't seem to worried.

I went off the pill after a week or more as it didn't agree with me. Im still off the fags, but Im having terrible trouble getting a full night sleep. I think this is part of the withdrawal phase. I hope.

• Advertisement

just wondering has anybody had trouble sleeping after going off the pills - I find I can get away with approx 4 hours sleep per night now and often find myself waking up in the early hours of the morning to read for two or three hours. I have been off the pills for some time now - I have gone to my doctor recently but he doens't seem to worried.

I do have sometimes trouble sleeping. Not every night but now and then I wake up around 2 or 3 in the morning and then I sleep only light for the rest of the night. Off the tablets since June! So I don`t know if it is still the champix or if it is my age. Because a lot of woman in their 50`s have trouble sleeping. (Menopause)
    As long as you have no sleep deprivation I would not worry too much!:)

Do you have to get a bad cough after giving up the fags in order to clear out your lungs. I'm off the fags for five weeks now and didn't get any cough.

Do you have to get a bad cough after giving up the fags in order to clear out your lungs. I'm off the fags for five weeks now and didn't get any cough.

Hi Paula! Everybody gave me a warning, that I will get a terrible cold or flu after quitting smoking. Now, 6 months later, I am still fine. Never got a cough or a cold. In the hospital they checked my lungs and they are fine. So don`t worry. Not everyone has to get a cough or cold. Your body is getting rid off the nicotine and all the dirt by itself!!!:D

With no much conflicting information on the net it's very easy to scare yourself. Lots of anxiety so having a chat with the doc today. Might take something for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Amberman

My da is nearly 70 and gave up after more than 50 years because he wanted to eat and be warm this winter...thanks to Champix...and his example spurred me on and I did it too. Empty feeling goes away if you breathe in and out as far as you can 5 times and make yourself a little high...:)

Amberman wrote: »
    My da is nearly 70 and gave up after more than 50 years because he wanted to eat and be warm this winter...thanks to Champix...and his example spurred me on and I did it too. Empty feeling goes away if you breathe in and out as far as you can 5 times and make yourself a little high...:)

This is the best message we had in a very long time! Thanks for sharing with us.:D
    I do wish you and your dad the very best and good luck!:)

Are you all too busy with preparations for Christmas or why is it so quit on board?:rolleyes:
    Hope you stick to your guns and count the weeks as non-smokers!
    Paula, how is your sis? And how are you? Still feeling anxiety? Hope you will overcome this situation.
    Best of luck to all of you!:)

Still here, and still smoke free. My sister is on her second round of chemotherapy. She seems very tired this time. Sleeping day and night, with also nil energy. My anxiety is much better now but I asked the doc to give me xanax. Very hard to get tabs like that now from the doctor my anxiety was at a level of 10. Still miss smoking, especially in the morning but am hoping this will eventually get better. Hope all is well with you connewitz, and all who is trying to remain smoke free.

Amberman wrote: »

So true. The reality is we do let ourselves short in order to pay for our cigarette habit. Since I've given up, I'm saving myself about a 120e a week. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

So true. The reality is we do let ourselves short in order to pay for our cigarette habit. Since I've given up, I'm saving myself about a 120e a week. Crazy!

When ever I get the urge to have a smoke one of the many things I think of is the money I have saved or spent on myself or my family, well over 6000e to date.
    Crazy! and your right when you say we leave ourselves short to pay for the habit BUT BETTER LATE THEN NEVER.:D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Well I'm seeing a lot of positive things on the thread..Amberman your dad reminds me of me!;) I was 72 when I started after over 50 years of smoking.

Sounds like Connewitz is doing a great job in support and encourgement!

For those of you who knew what I've been going through medically, I had my stent surgery scheduled and about 2 weeks prior found that I had a detached retina. Still recuping from that surgery then went in for the stent graph in my abdominal aorta last Monday. (feels like got kicked in the stomach by a horse) I was home by Tuesday afternoon. The Drs. all said that everything went well thanks to my weight loss and exercising. This is the Dr. who's assistant told me I was going to quit smoking or she was going to break my #%$@ fingers. Well in January I will be off those "things" 2 years already! (but who's counting):D

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Sorry, that I was not in the thread for so long. Don`t know if you remember, that I was in hospital in October. To cut it short - I had a stroke. Now I am back to my old self and very thankful for giving up the cigs. This has maybe saved my life. Got away with a big scare.
    I had to wait for my results so long (this is Ireland) and after I got my diagnosis I was like " OMG all makes sense now!". My memory was gone, had trouble speaking and was very depressed.
    Please folks, stay away from this coffin nails!!!!!!!!! They do really mess you up!
    Hello Donnie! I am very happy to see you back and well! Relieved, that all your surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery.
    Paula! Hope you will overcome your anxiety, I think this has a lot to do with your sisters situation. Take care!
    Hope, I will be able now to follow the thread again. I picked up the pieces and now I live every day as it comes. (Even the new budget will not get me down.:rolleyes:)
    Keep up all the good work.;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Connewitz I was :eek: hearing about your stroke!! Thank God you're feeling better and it wasn't any worse!! Really happy to see you jump back on "that Horse" and "take the reins"!;) I still have a few weeks to go before my eye sight is halfway back to normal. My stent graph seems to have went well. I go in this coming Friday for another CT Scan to see if everything is functioning properly. Now, where is the rest of the gang??:rolleyes: Come on kiddies, let's keep this fight going!!:D. You can see what those cigs can do to your body!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mumzboyz

Hi all, glad to see that yee are all keeping well. God Connie you must have got an awful scare but I'm sure that being a non-smoker has helped with your recovery.
    I'm still off the cigs, it must be nearly 5 months now - I have'nt been counting at all. Sometimes I do miss them but I'd hate to think that I'd have to go through all that to get off them again.
    So here's to us, keep up the good work for the New Year
    Happy Christmas and take care
    ;)

Hi Donnie!
    I want to thank you for your quick reply. Some days are a bi$%&, but I just go on with it. After this scare I do know, that life is very precious and I do appreciate is much more. It is very hard at the moment, with being long-term unemployed and the new budget in, but I still have my family and they are worth every struggle!!!!!
    I do wonder as well, where are the others in the thread. We used to be a really big community! Hope they are still on the wagon.
    I am now in my 8th month without a cig and I do sometimes forget, that I used to smoke.
    I wish you the very best from the bottom of my heart! You went through a lot of trouble, but mabybe you will be 30 years younger when all is done and dusted. God bless you!

Hi mumzboyz!
    How is college? And I do believe, that your kids can`t wait any longer for Christmas!
    I and my partner are going to Austria to visit my daughter. She moved there with her boyfriend and on the 26th of December our plane takes off (keep fingers crossed for good weather and no cancellations). God, I am sooooooooo looking forward to it!
    Nice to hear, that you are still of the fags! Keep it up. It is really worth it. My doc in the hospital said, that I was lucky, because I did stop smoking. He thinks, that it was the reason for not staying paralysed in the face!
    Now I am a health nut. Because I am not allowed to drink alcohol, gave up the smokes, run every day and eat mountains of fresh fruit and veg! The only thing I do miss is my cheese. I loved to eat cheese, but I had to cut down very much on dairy products. But it is worth all of it - I am alive and well. And I do hope, that I will have many years with my partner and my beautiful kids.
    I do wish you and your family a very special Christmas and a healthy start in the year 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

Hi Connewitz, so sorry to hear about your stroke but am glad you are feeling better and still staying positive and off the cigarettes. Will keep my fingers crossed for good weather and no cancellations for your trip to Austria and really hope you enjoy your break you really deserve it.

I am still smoke free and its two months now but seem to be finding it harder the last week or so. Am on my third month of tablets and am concerned if I am finding it hard now will really struggle when I fnish the tablets. Am still keeping positive and determined but its just playing on my mind that I have only three weeks left on the tablets. Just hope I am strong enough to keep going.

Still off fags. Finally starting to feel the benefits. Didn't at first. Anxiety at bay due to anti-anxiety tabs with I will take for a couple of months. Sister doing well with chemo so hopefully she will be around or a while longer.
    Best wishes to all, won't wish anyone a happy christmas yet as I'll be back to check in before then.

Sorry you were ill, Connezt. Hope you will be better for the Christmas.

Macker91 wrote: »

I am still smoke free and its two months now but seem to be finding it harder the last week or so. Am on my third month of tablets and am concerned if I am finding it hard now will really struggle when I fnish the tablets. Am still keeping positive and determined but its just playing on my mind that I have only three weeks left on the tablets. Just hope I am strong enough to keep going.

Thanks for all your good wishes. I really do appreciate it!:D
    There seems to be a pattern in the cravings. They are coming and going in 3 month`s intervals. Had the same problem myself, but they ease off. When you finish your course of tablets and still have the feeling you need them, then see your doc and ask for more. There are people on this thread who used the tablets for 6 month`s. So stick with it and do not give in!!!!!
    2 month`s is a long time and all the nicotine has left your body, now you start to clean out the rest and this requires will power as well!;)
    You can do it! I am convinced, that you will go through this rough patch and come out of it as a new person!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Hi Paula!
    Good to hear that you can feel now the benefit of being a non-smoker. It is a great feeling!!!!!!
    Wish you all the best and the same for your sis!

Advertisement