Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Hi to everyone!
    I wish you all a very nice Christmas and a healthy (smoke free) start in the year 2011. Just think about it - in 2 weeks time we all can say: " I stopped smoking last year!" Great, or what?!:D
    Enjoy and I do hope to hear from you next year!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

A Very Merry Christmas to all my "Quiter" Friends in Ireland!! Hope 2011 finds you Smoke Free and Healthier!!
    The 12th of next month I'll have been off those "nasty things" for 2 years already!:D;)

DonnieL wrote: »
    A Very Merry Christmas to all my "Quiter" Friends in Ireland!! Hope 2011 finds you Smoke Free and Healthier!!
    The 12th of next month I'll have been off those "nasty things" for 2 years already!:D;)

I hope you had a relaxing time and started 2011 in good health.
    It is hard to believe, that I am off the "stinkies" since over 8 months now. Felt the difference in Austria. My daughter, her boyfriend and his parents are all smokers. It was a stink competition. How quick we forgett that we used to smell like this!
    I am enjoying now my smoke free house and all the fresh air outside again.
    Don`t get me wrong - I love my daughter to bits, but it is nicer without the smokes around me. I do hope, I will not turn into a reformed smoker!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I am now considering myself officially a NON Smoker - I gave up smoking approx 20 weeks ago, but I was dreading Christmas - y'know, all the parties, going out to pubs, having people in, etc.

I can safely say that although I had a few drinks on many occasions over Christmas I never, not once, felt the urge to go out and smoke. If I was going to do it I would have done it over Christmas. I am delighted and am now a non smoker.
    :D

to all you who are doing it for the new year - try and see it through - it is definitely a worthwhile thing to do - I feel a big black cloud has lifted from me and I can see clearly now. (in every sense)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Paula60

Im off the cigs about 4 mts now and Christmas was great. A few urges but nothing too hard to handle. Generally feel good and have plenty of energy. Happy New year to all of you and hope we all will be still ex-smokers this time next year.

Paula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Poutbutton wrote: »
    So I got the prescription yesterday, bought the drugs today & plan to start on Monday. Has anyone used them before? How did it go for you? Pros/Cons? Side effects? Have you stayed off the cigarettes? Any opinions/queries welcome! :cool:

On the Champix 13 days now and off the cigs since the new year.

I am on alot of medication at present so I 'm dozy and nausiaus but they have not affected my sleep or mood.

I'm prepared to put up with anything in the shorterm to help me kick this habit - though if the side effects became I 'd chat with my doctor.

As a chain smoker for 35 years I have had few withdrawl pangs so far but its early days yet .

Stick with it and keep posting . Best of luck

;)

WOW! It's great to see so much POSITIVE input!! You all got this far, so, there's really no reason to look back at those nasty things. Keep up the great work and just keep moving forward in 2011!! The best to ya!! I will keep checking in now and then to see how you all are Progressing!
    Connewitz, I hope you're feeling better. Keep up the good work as "mentor" ;) and have a great Healthy & Happy Smoke Free New Year!

Well done and stick with it! You feel like a different person. There will be moments where you will long for a cig, but it becomes easier with every day passing!

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    On the Champix 13 days now and off the cigs since the new year.

I am on alot of medication at present so I 'm dozy and nausiaus but they have not affected my sleep or mood.

I'm prepared to put up with anything in the shorterm to help me kick this habit - though if the side effects became I 'd chat with my doctor.

As a chain smoker for 35 years I have had few withdrawl pangs so far but its early days yet .

Stick with it and keep posting . Best of luck

;)

As you can see a lot of people on this thread made it! They are off the cigs since weeks, months or even years. I am off since April last year and have never looked back. Ups and downs for sure, but nothing I could not handle. There is actually no excuse for staying on the fags! Keep it up and kudos to you!

DonnieL wrote: »
    WOW! It's great to see so much POSITIVE input!! You all got this far, so, there's really no reason to look back at those nasty things. Keep up the great work and just keep moving forward in 2011!! The best to ya!! I will keep checking in now and then to see how you all are Progressing!
    Connewitz, I hope you're feeling better. Keep up the good work as "mentor" ;) and have a great Healthy & Happy Smoke Free New Year!

I hope you had a nice celebration with all your friends at New Years Eve. We did enjoy our firework in Austria. They are forbidden in Ireland.
    You are the "mentor" on this thread. Without you I am not so sure, if i would have made it. But I always looked at the years you did smoke and this was the kick I needed to go on. Thanks!:D

• Advertisement

Hi Connewitz, thanks for the compliment, but you're carrying the "torch" now until you're ready to pass it on!;)
    Today is my anniversay date off the smokes! TWO YEARS!!!:D

Dear Donnie!
    :) Congratulation to your 2 years as a NON SMOKER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do hope, that all your health issues will be sorted out as well. You certainly did earn it!!!
    It is always nice to hear from you. I am glad when you pop your head in the thread to say Hello. Wishing you only the best. And by the way - the holidays in Austria were absolutely fantastic! I can only recommend the place.
    See you soon!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Started out on the Champix trail last Thursday - This Friday (28/01) is my D-Day. Already I don't feel like smoking, kinda forcing :eek: myself to smoke until the end of day 7.

Very ratty over the weekend but that has all calmed down now thankfully.
    No funny dreams either & I hope that will continue.
    This thread has been a great read & well done to those to stopped smoking. I certainly hope to be in that club by the weekend.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lauramc58

Hi all, im on day 7 of my champix prescription and my 'give up' day is this sunday, fingers crossed all goes well! can someone tell me, do you still get cravings when you move onto the 1mg tablets or is it more force of habit? and does the nausea increase? well no matter what anything will be worth giving these things up!
    thanks all!

Alzar wrote: »
    Started out on the Champix trail last Thursday - This Friday (28/01) is my D-Day. Already I don't feel like smoking, kinda forcing :eek: myself to smoke until the end of day 7.

Al.

Hi Alzar and welcome to our club!
    If you have a funny taste while smoking, than the first step is done. You start to dislike them. I am sure you will stop on Friday and with a little bit of willpower become a non-smoker like a lot of us. Stick with the thread. I can tell you from my own experience, it was and is a great help to go on!!!:D

lauramc58 wrote: »
    Hi all, im on day 7 of my champix prescription and my 'give up' day is this sunday, fingers crossed all goes well! can someone tell me, do you still get cravings when you move onto the 1mg tablets or is it more force of habit? and does the nausea increase? well no matter what anything will be worth giving these things up!
    thanks all!

Congratulation on your decision to give up smoking! It is well worth the effort and the side effects. Speaking about them - everybody on this thread had different side effects. Some only weak and short term others severe and prolonged. You will have to fight your own battle. But if you need help, then just pop in here. We are all there to help.
    Cravings stick with you for a very long time! I am off the fags now for 9 months and still get cravings out of the blue! Has nothing to do with the dosage of the champix. Our brains are highly tuned machines and sometimes they just need the right input (like the smell of coffee, a glass of wine, boredom i.e.) and the thought of a smoke pops up! It does not last long and you will learn to ignore it!
    Good luck! You can do it!:)

Seven hours into day 1 & so far, so good :D

Actually had my last smoke at six o'clock yesterday. I had two fags left to get me through until bedtime, but, to be honest, I wasn't ar$ed to smoke them, so I threw them in the bin. Maybe I'm off the weed since 6 last night instead?
    Doesn't matter really, the trick from here on in is to stay off them.

Al.

Its a long but rewarding journey giving up cigarettes as most of us on this board know. I'm now off them almost four months. I feel better, my skin is softer but when I wake up in the morning and go to make my first cup of coffee I get a strong yet manageable longing for a fag. I do hope one day this goes away.

Ali, keep up the good work.

Paula60 wrote: »
    Its a long but rewarding journey giving up cigarettes as most of us on this board know. I'm now off them almost four months. I feel better, my skin is softer but when I wake up in the morning and go to make my first cup of coffee I get a strong yet manageable longing for a fag. I do hope one day this goes away.

Ali, keep up the good work.

You are so right, it is a long journey and we all have our ups and downs. But in the end - it is very rewarding.
    How do you manage your anxiety and how is your sis?
    All the best for the both of you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Best of luck to all those trying to kick the smoking habit, it can be a tough journey but believe me the longer you travel it the easier it will get ,am off them about 15 months. I dont get any strong urges anymore for a smoke so hang on in there believe in yourself.:D

• Advertisement

connewitz wrote: »
    You are so right, it is a long journey and we all have our ups and downs. But in the end - it is very rewarding.
    How do you manage your anxiety and how is your sis?
    All the best for the both of you!:)

My sister has finished her chemo and was told the cancer has regressed. But for how long I dont know. My doctor put me on anxiety tablet and believe it or not, they work fine. Not the solution I would have picked, but sometimes you just have to put your own opinion aside. Both myself and sis are in great spirits these days, so, one day at a time. What else.

Day 3 - still off the weed. Delighted :D:D
    A few small cravings of sorts - as in I should be smoking with this coffee but I'm not, that make sense?
    Overall, the tablets are a massive help.

Al.

Paula60 wrote: »
    My sister has finished her chemo and was told the cancer has regressed. But for how long I dont know. My doctor put me on anxiety tablet and believe it or not, they work fine. Not the solution I would have picked, but sometimes you just have to put your own opinion aside. Both myself and sis are in great spirits these days, so, one day at a time. What else.

Dear Paula!
    This is the spirit and I cross my fingers and toes for your sis!
    You are doing just great!:D

A few small cravings of sorts - as in I should be smoking with this coffee but I'm not, that make sense?

Al.

I do get cravings now and then, but compared to 6 months ago - it is easing off! And so I do believe, that one day, we all will have no more the urge for a cigarette. Just keep on going!!!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭buttonsflyie

Al.

Hi Al and the others that are new year quitters,
    Keep going I am 5 months off them now…………….. Won’t lie to you, I still have cravings and sometimes quite bad, however you only have to do something to take your mind off it, like sing happy birthday twice!!!! Lol. That’s its, it seems to work :) .
    Al you will find that you will feel strange with all your firsts, where you normally and not so normally associated with a ciggie.
    Like Ikea!!! The first time I went as a non smoker, after the restaurant I was at a loss as to what I should be doing and when I came to the check out I would leave the others to que and go out and have a smoke as we would be about 2 hours walking around!!!! Very surreal lol.
    So keep it up, I feel fantastic and it is so worth it.
    Buttons

Day 5 - still here, still clean :D
    Starting to eat again too, which is a bonus. I used to be a coffee & smoke for breakfast, dinner & sometimes tea!
    Lot of crap starting to release from the lungs - still, after 25 years of smoking, what should I expect, eh?

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 XChloeXx

Starting to eat again too, which is a bonus. I used to be a coffee & smoke for breakfast, dinner & sometimes tea!
    Lot of crap starting to release from the lungs - still, after 25 years of smoking, what should I expect, eh?

Al.

HELP ME!!!

Al.

Hi Al! Is it not amazing, how things start to fall in place again. When was the last time you enjoyed a breakfast? Now think of all the other things you denied yourself because you opted for the cigs.
    Good for you! Keep it up!;)

XChloeXx wrote: »
    HELP ME!!!

Going through your other posts, I do doubt very much that anyone can help you!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My Quit Date 28/01/11
    Days Smoke Free 7 :D

Money Saved €57.40

Savings per month: €246
    Saving per year: €2952
    Saving over 5 years: €14760 << That would be nice, if you could put away the fag money every day.

Al.

Advertisement